|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Insult / Injury
Damage can't be prevented this turn. If a source you control would deal damage this turn, it deals double instead.
Aftermath (Cast this spell only from your graveyard. Then exile it.)
Injury deals 2 damage to target creature and 2 damage to target player.
Insult / Injury Discussion
2 weeks ago
I see a lot of fun potential in this deck. I think you should definitely run Simian Spirit Guide as the additional mana means you may be able to drop Sarkhan's Unsealing early. This is important as the mana cost f your other creatures means that by turn 4-5 with Simians you may be able to drop 2 creatures and hit the opponent for 8+ damage. I would also put Bloodthorn Taunter in the deck, as having haste on Inferno Hellion and Cosmic Larva has the potential to do a lot of damage in one turn. I may include Leyline of Punishment and possibly Insult / Injury instead of Crater's Claws in the sideboard Is there a specific reason you use Fling over Thud ? Thud is at sorcery speed but very few of your creatures live to your next turn so you may as well drop them and attack then thud for double damage.
I hope I didn't rip your deck to shred... btw I love the idea of the deck
1 month ago
Ditch 3 lands and about 8 rocks and play more instants and sorceries. I know you're aiming to pay out big for those X spells but you have to few for it to be effective. People will catch on right away to your gameplan and with only 17 spells for damage/lifegain (and a weak creature base for combat), you won't be able to play fast enough to stay alive. Maybe a few more proactive creatures like Angrath's Marauders and Guttersnipe ? Maybe some spell copying too? Spells like Reverberate , Bonus Round and Doublecast .
This is all my opinion and it could be wrong. Have you physically played this yet?
1 month ago
Love this deck. Mine is very similar but a few cards of mine are all stars:
Firestorm is amazing. Won a few games with it when combat wasn't enough (rarely)
Winds of Change as a cheaper alternative to wheel. Not as good, but definitely a good 1 mana hand reset to keep the storm going
Kher Keep sometimes your just don't have anything better to do. Use extra mana for extra creatures. This has definitely helped me hit a critical mass of creatures on a longer game for that one crutial storm turn!
Wild Slash Insult / Injury , Insult is better but more mana and a sorcery. Honestly my play group plays plenty of fog type effects. Helps me push through in the end. Idk about these tho. Maybe not worth the slot.
2 months ago
Love the concept, this feels so cool!
Some suggestions I think could fit there and make the list even more reliable:
- Phyrexian Reclamation > busted card. In any creature-heavy decklist like yours with some sacrifice strategy, it's a staple.
- Attrition > another busted card. Fine sac outlet.
- Priest of Forgotten Gods > slow card - high rewards. I really like this one alongside both boots and greaves. It's not the best sac outlet ever seen, but it greatly helps with the Aristocrat theme.
- Vindictive Vampire (not updated on Tappedout yet) > another brand new awesome card! It is a better Falkenrath Noble , specially designed for EDH. I expect it to be one of the strongest cards from the new set for EDH, as it doesn't need to set-up your combo in order to become devastating.
- Anger > gives haste to your rats for even more pressure.
- Pack Rat > obviously excellent there.
- Marrow-Gnawer > the classical ''Rat'' Commander. Nice with a haste enabler: it creates Rats token, works like sac outlet... just everything you want.
- Insult / Injury > good to find a lethal, but also acts as a fine removal card. Could be a nice inclusion, according to your preferences though.
- Anvil of Bogardan > an old artifact I like a lot. Not so many plays it, but I feel like it always is a really good card if you want to play with your graveyard a bit. You draw an extra card, discard a Rat, uses some enchantment/ Living Death ability to bring back your bois on the battlefield, etc. Honestly, I see it as a staple.
- The Immortal Sun > Both Liliana and Angrath aren't that good here imo. Liliana works as a pretty 'meh' ramp tool and is barely better than a Thaumatic Compass Flip (which won't fit at all in this decklist). Angrath is more flexible and efficient, but its abilities don't justify its mana-cost. Running Immortal Sun will help you to slow down sometimes your opponents, provides you fine card draw (which is always good), and finally make your rats cheaper as well as stronger.
A bunch of cards that could be destructive powerhouses, but which would demand some interesting take on your deckbuilding:
- Patriarch's Bidding > with (for example) some cards like Secret Salvage + Zombie Infestation , it enables crazy combos. It's better than Living Death for tribal decks, but I would say that you should run both of em.
- Anthem of Rakdos > very slow but oppressive card when you manage to take up board advantage. I would argue that this is better than Havoc Festival in this brew.
- Hazoret's Favor > one of the most shunned cards of Amonketh I think has a lot of potentials to exploit. You could run Combat Celebrant alongside/or Aggravated Assault .
I hope the small list above will give new ideas to explore. Keep on the good work and enjoy brewing!
2 months ago
I'll admit to having a similar reaction to xyr0s. Pyromancer Ascension is a better card than Pyromancer's Goggles, it's probably better than Furnace of Rath most of the time too, I probably prefer Insult / Injury too. This deck needs Faithless Looting, Cathartic Reunion, heck even Tormenting Voice would be an improvement since right now your only draw is Manamorphose. I'm guessing your plan is to play Chalice of the Void on one to mess with your opponent then, wait until casting an X spell makes sense...
On the subject of the X spells Banefire and Demonfire are just better, due to the fact they can't be countered and the damage can't be stopped. It's good to have a theme, most efficient decks do, but having a theme only helps if the card choices are also efficient. The simple fact is that non X spells tend to deal damage more efficiently, take Skullcrack or Flames of the Blood Hand, there damage to cost ratio is better than an X spell, here's another Pyroclasm, it's a nice neat little board wipe. I don't mean to be overly negative, I'm just not sure this deck idea works that well, still I wish you luck and hope my com
3 months ago
Sorry for the long comments
For subtractions I would remove: Council's Judgment The 3 for 1 potential is nice but you don't have full control of the spell. Plus you have plenty of removal. I'd cut it or run Grasp of Fate in its place
Cut / Ribbons You are playing this for Ribbons but Torment of Hailfire is just better and requires less hoop jumping. And you have Skull Storm, Exsanguinate and Debt to the Deathless. In fact, Skull Storm can probably be cut too.
Entreat the Angels I like this card but not in this deck.
Insult / Injury You have VERY few damage based sources and that makes this card a dead draw a lot of times.
Rakdos's Return I just think this spell suffers from sorcery speed. Your experience may differ but I have always found I had better things to do with my turn.
Commune with Lava I have a thing against the 'cast it or it's gone forever' card advantage that red gets so this is just prejudice. If you like it, obviously ignore me.
Murderous Cut It isn't bad. Maybe this is drawing unwarranted hate. Potentially costing 1 is pretty sweet.
Jaya Ballard She has three very meaningful abilities but she is so hard to cast reliably in a 3 color deck. Again, your mileage may vary.
Anyways, I love this deck and I hope I helped you with my suggestions. Obviously, I am no expert and my opinions aren't gospel. I hope I didn't come across as rude in these messages either. If I come up with more ideas I will post them later. Good luck!
4 months ago
Thank you for the reply scumbling1! I have considered a few of those cards, mainly Heartless Hidetsugu. Considering that Hidetsugu + Dictate of the Twin Gods or any other damage doubler card such as Insult / Injury draws the game for everyone at the table if there is no interaction, (and honestly if everyone loses you still pretty much win in a casual game in my opinion), it is a potent option since there are multiple ways to set up the combo and if you have a card like angel's grace you still "legitimately" win. I'd say that if your meta is more combo/blue deck heavy and there aren't many token decks in your play group, chuck the Ghostly Prison type effects for Hidetsugu and damage doublers, which are potent on their on. I do not like Dire Fleet Ravager in this deck because there aren't many options to abuse its etb over and over. Bond of agony is ok, however since we don't have access to ramp in Mardu, I decided against it. Finally, I am on the fence about Havoc Festival. It stops enemy life gain, but also yours, which is sometimes needed. A better card might be Tainted Remedy Which you could combine with Beacon of Immortality to kill someone. However, I feel that Hidetsugu is a better option in general since it pretty much ignores your opponent's life totals.
4 months ago
Insult / Injury occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%