|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Beatdown Box Set||Common|
Combos Browse all
Smoldering Crater enters the battlefield tapped.
: Add to your mana pool.
Cycling (, Discard this card: Draw a card.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Smoldering Crater Discussion
2 months ago
Saw the link on /tg/, figured I would provide some feedback. Admittedly, this kind of deck is out of my element (I don't play combo) so I wouldn't take whatever suggestions provided as absolutely necessary changes.
Individual Card Suggestions
Card draw/Tutor/Cheating things into play:
Haste enablers (since I'm big on haste):
Cards I Would Remove
- Gauntlet of Might - I don't see the immediate benefit of this card, and disagree with the price. I think this card could be swapped out with something that doesn't also benefit any opponent's red creatures (like Caged Sun).
- Gilded Lotus - It is odd to see this in a monocolored deck.
- Commander's Sphere - Also odd seeing this in a monocolored deck, but the card draw option is nice.
- Skullclamp - Not a lot of options to get the card draw effect, from what I'm seeing.
- Karn Liberated - Karn is a little too durdly. Maybe swap with Ugin, the Spirit Dragon given the focus on colorless permanents.
- Bloodstained Mire and Wooded Foothills - I don't see why you would need to fetch for a Mountain or Madblind Mountain.
- Smoldering Crater and Forgotten Cave - I understand the need to draw a card, but these may be better replaced by standard Mountains.
- Kher Keep - Get an 0/1 blocker, I guess? Would swap out for Temple of the False God.
- Warp World - Necessary for chaos decks, but this doesn't look like a chaos deck.
Hopefully I provided some beneficial suggestions. Good luck with the deck!
4 months ago
I would also strongly recommend Goblin Chirurgeon, as he lets you sac half your goblins to save the other half from most board sweeps.
You already have Skirk Prospector, who I find to be one of the most vital cards in my own Krenko deck. The sooner you can generate lots of mana, the less likely your commander is to get killed so many times you can't affrd to cast him. With that in mind, I might suggest other mana accelerators such as Treasonous Ogre and Thermopod for red, and Ashnod's Altar and Sol Ring for colourless.
As far as suggestions for things to remove - that's much harder, and depends on how you want to play your deck. But... I would be tempted to replace Forgotten Cave and Smoldering Crater with Sandstone Needle for pseudo ramp (this on turn 1 can = 3 mana on turn 2) and Buried Ruin because there are lots of sweet artifacts in your deck that WILL get blown up - Thornbite Staff is a prime target!
I would also remove the Goblin Rabblemaster because it can really suck to have no control over whether you attack or not, and I feel that his upside is outweighed by the downside.
I could ramble on for ages, but I'll leave it there for now and simply wish you good luck and many, many, many goblins.
4 months ago
Since this deck is somewhat reliant on sticking Alesha, attacking to trigger her ability, and generally letting her alive, maybe include some stuff like Whispersilk Cloak, Swords of X and Y, Lightning Greaves, etc? If so, Stoneforge Mystic might not be a bad idea.
Would also just generally recommend fleshing out your mana base a bit to ensure you have the right colors when you need them. City of Brass, Battlefield Forge, Sulfurous Springs, Temple of Malice, Temple of Triumph, Clifftop Retreat, Isolated Chapel, Inspiring Vantage, Concealed Courtyard, Smoldering Crater, Shambling Vent, Needle Spires, etc.
4 months ago
Check out my build for more ideas.
6 months ago
Another mass pump effect won't hurt, so maybe Obelisk of Urd
Don't worry, you'll be kicking ass in no time! :)
7 months ago
Thanks for taking the time to have a look! Really appreciated it!I noted every plus 1 into my maybeboard but you showed me even more awesome cards which I wanna add, so I am kinda even more into the problem what comes what leaves?
- Spitebellows for Dross Scorpion
- Tyrant's Familiar for Scarecrone
- Bogardan Hellkite for ??
- Shrapnel Blast for Slobad, Goblin Tinkerer
- Molten Psyche for Reforge the Soul
- Dormant Volcano and Smoldering Crater for 2x Basic Lands
- ?? for Mana Vault
- ?? for Basalt Monolith
- ?? for Gilded Lotus
- ?? for Voltaic Key
- ?? for Memory Jar
- ?? for Hedron Archive
- ?? for Dreamstone Hedron
- ?? for Magus of the Wheel
- ?? for All Is Dust
And thats even just what you recommended, my Maybeboard lists more alternatives. I made some changes yesterday myself, but will reverse them so I can start with your suggestions and work an from them. But I noticed 2 things: Hangarback Walker kinda suxx, cause I want to cast him. Alhammars Archive is quite nice, cause I draw like shit :)
If you'd like, please add me on Facebook so we can have a chat :D https://www.facebook.com/man1acc