|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Guilds of Ravnica (GRN)||Common|
Combos Browse all
: Gain or .
, , Sacrifice DImir Locket: Draw two cards.
Dimir Locket Discussion
2 months ago
Love the deck tech and this is an archetype I have thought often of, though trying to do both artifacts and enchantments in a three-color format and not restrict your synergies can be tough. You're better off either going full enchantment or full artifact and then you'll be running a more streamlined, combotastic deck by doing so. I think you've gone heavier on the artifact side, or we'd be seeing more enchantment creatures from Theros and the Commander enchantment-creature precon and enchantment removal spells that combo with things like Blightcaster and Grim Guardian (which all combo with enchanting removal like Pacifism and Prison Realm and Dead Weight , etc.). To this artifact-heavy focus, I think Myr Retriever and Workshop Assistant are too redundant and provide only small bodies on the field when there are so many other cards that have this same effect already in the deck here ( Sharuum the Hegemon , Buried Ruin , etc.). Plus, without a sacrifice outlet, Workshop Assistant is definitely not the kind of card you want to be top-decking in situations where you've run out of steam. On the other hand, you may need more card draw rather than grave draw, since you don't self-mill, (especially if you're in a situation where Distant Melody is dead in your hand) and I think Mask of Riddles is an ideal sideboard/budget alternate for this deck. And is Ever-Watching Threshold in the pre-con? It should be. Faerie Mechanist comes to me as a distant budget option (because it only looks at the top 3 cards of your library, it's too limited to be truly useful since this deck also runs so many enchantments and creatures, but it's got tribal, flying, and it is an artifact as such is worth a mention). Finally, if you can make double-black mana work in your casting, Underworld Connections is card advantage that seems to be a staple of commander that also happens to trigger your commander. Sludge Strider can get you that life back on occasions where you have extra mana and are losing artifact creatures or sacrificing artifacts to effects (heck, even Dimir Locket and Orzhov Locket couldn't go wrong as cheap ramp that gets you card draw in the late game and triggers other effects). And take out the Winged Words from the 60-card precon, which gets you nowhere in a 100-card format, and put in at least a Terramorphic Expanse if you don't have access to better quality dual-lands. Campaign of Vengeance and Ethereal Absolution if you're really committed to going wide with your commander (I mean, with Etchings and Ethereal and your commander, you could have at least five or six 4/3 flying faeries threatening to go wider and wider). They could be protected from board wipes by an additional counterspell, like Stoic Rebuttal . I could go on and on, but definitely replace a few of the things in the precon with at least a few of these.
3 months ago
I'd maybe go for some lockets (even more card draw + mana ramp).
4 months ago
If you are choosing to play Skilled Animator , I would play some one drop artifact spells. That way on turn three you can play the animator and swing with a 5/5. I would drop the Dimir Locket and add something like Fountain of Renewal or something close to that. Also I would drop Thought Collapse all together. A creature that might help you out and is pretty cheap $ is Traxos, Scourge of Kroog
6 months ago
Currently you have no reason to need white mana in the side so trading some BW duels for basics should be better. Running Field of Ruin / Blast Zone could add utility to your mana base that gets ramped up to 11 with the ability of Karn, the Great Creator to fetch Crucible of Worlds from the side. Your game plan seems pretty grindy so Mox Amber might be better off as a Dimir Locket / Gleaming Barrier just because only 7 cards enable it to make mana making it a Darksteel Relic most of the time.
7 months ago
8 months ago
Smothering Tithe - A great 'pay to play' card, and you'll ramp like crazy if they don't.
Rhystic Study - If they don't pay, you draw... they'll pay.
Thief of Sanity - Thievery + some mill, all in a nice evasion package.
Mnemonic Betrayal - This is just too good, cherry pick all your opponent's best spells they've played.
Desertion - Counter the threat, get the threat.
Paradox Haze - Double up on your commander's ability.
Emergency Powers - Great for resetting what is in someone's hand or your own. Addendum is gravy on top if you have nothing else to play during your main.
Supreme Verdict - Just a great wrath spell.
Rewind - Counter and keep the mana open.
Unwind - Sure it only works for noncreature spells, but there will be plenty of those around.
Wrath of God - The original.
Celestial Dawn - Makes casting opponent's spells with your commander just too easy.
Cascading Cataracts - Indestructible color fixing.
Revel in Riches - Mana fixing + a win-con if you get lucky.
Lightning Greaves - Protect what matters most.
Swiftfoot Boots - More protection.
Sun Titan - This guy is a beast, sometimes he'll only do a small bit, other times he's your golden boy. Cool little combo: Use Mirage Mirror to copy a sacrifice artifact like Mindslaver , use the sacrifice of the copied card, then bring Mirage Mirror back with the titan.
Paradox Engine - Use artifacts to pay for spells, then untap them to pay for more.
Darksteel Forge - With all your artifacts you're running, this lets you play your wraths without any fear.
Cards to consider ousting:
Blood Baron of Vizkopa - It's good, but won't be active all that much as a 10/10.
Deadeye Plunderers - Lackluster.
Merieke Ri Berit - Without a way to abuse untapping her she can under perform.
Nightveil Predator - Doesn't do as much for you as it could.
Odric, Lunarch Marshal - You're not strictly a combat deck.
Spell Queller - I like this card, but in commander it's just too fragile.
Traxos, Scourge of Kroog - He's not horrid.
Walking Ballista - Just not got for this deck.
Wrexial, the Risen Deep - Too slow, by this point you should be focusing on control with your commander.
Displacement Wave - You're putting in better.
Mind's Desire - You're just not build for this card.
Illusory Gains - Really depends on your play group.
Dimir Locket - The signet is better.
8 months ago
Some cards to consider:
- Bojuka Bog : A must include in any black commander deck.
- Boneknitter : Utility, simple as that.
- Corpse Harvester : Out with the old, in with the new... and a swamp!
- Cryptbreaker : So much value in such a small package. Token generating, card draw, good in the early and late game... what is not to love about this card!
- Death Baron : A zombie lord with some extra punch Sure he doesn't get deathtouch himself, but all those 2/2 tokens that are now 3/3 deathtouch.
- Dread Summons : Ever seen those zombie movies with that big hoard that just keeps coming... that's this card. Gives you a bunch of tokens, and recursion bait for your commander.
- Endless Ranks of the Dead : Card title kind of says it all for this one. Obviously not the best in metas with wrath effects coming down every turn, but shines like a copper penny otherwise.
- Ghoulcaller Gisa : So take one creature, throw it under the bus, and get more...
- Grave Titan : Why this thing isn't a zombie I will never know. 6/6 for 6, deathtouch, and brings two friends with it AND when it attacks.
- Graveborn Muse : Card draw based on zombies, who is also a zombie!
- Infernal Caretaker : Mass recursion, either play them out, or discard them back for more effects.
- Liliana, Death's Majesty : Just an all around strong zombie planeswalker.
- Liliana's Mastery : Zombies + an anthem that won't be a big target for removal.
- Lord of the Undead : A low to the ground zombie lord with recursion on a stick.
- Noxious Ghoul : Sweeps out low toughness cards for things you're already doing. Just great value.
- Relentless Dead : A great early drop, and late game it serves as a sac target + recursion.
- Shepherd of Rot : Yes it hits you, but this can be such a major threat.
- Undead Warchief : Cheaper zombies, and bigger zombies. All in one convenient package.
- Awaken the Erstwhile : Disruption, plain and simple. Sure it hurts your hand too, but you are the one with all the zombie based anthems.
- Victim of Night : Doomblade 2.0, but hits black creatures.
- Sidisi, Undead Vizier : You'll have so many tokens kicking around to exploit that she's just a straight tutor, and if she ever hits the graveyard just use her again with Scarab God.
- Fleshbag Marauder : Hurts them a lot more than you, and enter the battlefield abilities are great with Scarab around.
- Josu Vess, Lich Knight : Solid 4/5 Menace for 4, got the extra 6 mana though and he brings friends who also have menace.
- Wonder : Flying zombies... yep, that's scary.
- Pull from Tomorrow : Nice draw on an instant with the added benefit to pitch something for Scarab to target.
- Price of Fame : Legendary killer + Surveil 2... love it.
- Sinister Sabotage : Counterspell + Surveil... love it too.
- Paradox Haze : You've got a couple effects that trigger on upkeep, why not double up?
- The deck currently seems to be going in two directions, you have a large zombie theme which I love, but you also have a minor mill theme which seems out of place.
- Advanced Stitchwing : Slow for what it gives, even on the bounce back it comes back tapped.
- Apprentice Necromancer : This is one I'm on the fence suggesting, it's a one use for one turn only.
- Grimgrin, Corpse-Born : This guy is beast, but he works best in a deck build around him.
- Lamplighter of Selhoff : Slow, for his effect.
- Merciless Eternal : He's not bad, just a lot better things to include in the 3 cost bracket.
- Phenax, God of Deception : Love this guy, really do, but he's out of place here because he's a mill guy who loves big butts.
- Relentless Skaabs : This guy does everything you don't want as he hurts your graveyard in order to even hit play.
- Servant of Tymaret : Slow with high cost. In order to make the best use of him you have to be attacking, and if the way isn't clear that means a 3 mana tax just for 1 life on each opponent.
- Spiteful Returned : Don't hate it, but better things out there.
- Stitchwing Skaab : Suffers from the same as Advanced Stitchwing.
- Undead Alchemist : This guy can go either way, but the way I look at him is generally people have more cards in their decks than life, so it's easier to take out their life.
- Vindictive Lich : This guy is fun, though for his cost there is a lot more out there.
- Exotic Orchard : Risky unless you know your playgroup always has one of your colors, otherwise it's just a colorless and a swamp or island would be just as good.
- Leechridden Swamp : Slows you down for a minor effect.
- Path of Ancestry : Phenax is the only other god creature, so even if you keep him in it's very slow for the benefit it probably will never get the chance to give.
- Coat of Arms : I love this card, I really do, but it's a calculated risk and I find zombies are usually too slow of it. Run up against a goblin or elf deck and this will do more for your opponent.
- Mindcrank : This is another I'm on the fence with as it pairs really well with Scarab.
- Vanquisher's Banner : Good card, though you're not casting all those tokens so you're only getting a bit of a benefit from it.
- Liliana Vess : Good card, out of place in this deck unless you are going heavier into the mill.
- Ob Nixilis Reignited : Just completely out of place for zombie tribal.
- Glimpse the Unthinkable : One of those mill cards, it suffers as a one of.
- Rise from the Grave : Expensive for effect.
- Ruthless Disposal : This isn't bad in this deck, but compared to Morbid Slip for example it lacks that added shine.
- Curse of Disturbance : So much politics, this is VERY meta dependent as to if players fall for the bait.
- Quest for the Gravelord : This can work out, but more often then not stuff isn't dying fast enough or it just gets pinged with early removal.
- Search for Azcanta Flip: More at home in a non-creature strategy.
- Torment of Scarabs : Most people can play around this with not too much fuss, and it gives all the choice to them. I'd prefer some targeted removal.
9 months ago
Yo WarriorMagic, based on the list you sent me it seems like you want to go with the value route. Is there a particular budget that you have in mind? Muldrotha has access to a plethora of colors, I can help you get like a defined list of core cards and packages that would be great and than you can add in your particular flair that you like to make it more personalized for your meta or style.
Right away from what I can see these are already a list of cards you can cut due to inefficiency.
- Dimir Locket
- Golgari Locket
- Kodama's Reach
- Splendid Reclamation
- Jarad's Order
- Final Parting
- Vessel of Nascency
- Secrets of the Dead
- The Eldest Reborn
- Journey to Eternity Flip
- Deadbridge Chant
- Ash Barrens
- Blighted Woodland
- Azusa, Lost but Seeking
- Butcher of Malakir
- Hydroid Krasis
- Izoni, Thousand-Eyed
- Underrealm Lich
- Night Incarnate
- Priest of Forgotten Gods
- Sidisi, Brood Tyrant
- Perpetual Timepiece
- Yavimaya Elder
- Liliana, Death's Majesty
Cut these cards away first so we can see the deck in a 100 cards first than we can work from there~
Dimir Locket occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%