|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Explorers of Ixalan (EO2)||None|
|Iconic Masters (IMA)||Uncommon|
|Duel Decks: Nissa vs. Ob Nixilis (DDR)||Uncommon|
|Magic 2014 (M14)||Uncommon|
|2012 Core Set (M12)||Common|
|MTG: Commander (CMD)||Common|
|2011 Core Set (M11)||Common|
|2010 Core Set (M10)||Common|
|Promo Set (000)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Destroy target nonblack creature.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (32)||ironax , Mousemke , webdokkeren , carsickpanda273 , frederiklw , AlertKnave8075 , darthnuchi , gildan_bladeborn , acbooster , CAPTAINxCOOKIES , richardmv , JAT0 , Yawkcorb , brokendwarf , ZombieFood , killstars , corys , damo_rox , anonymausguy , nakni , Fairseas , releasethedogs , MattN7498 , TThors , Slowbro23 , XxCataclysmiCxX , ivaggione , itheoryz , slemulv , ninjaclevs13 , , Regulus1010|
|Want (33)||pezztalent , ConsulDerpius , sombrevivo , vaerth , Henryen , kovellen , Turtlelover73 , Ariumlegion , Jblade , IrishCross88 , ElCamino , sleepy104 , BringerOfStorms , ColdFire , mango_channel , dream_chaser , LuckMisesack , gamerhat , Nerukad , BrownstoneCowboy , TsShooter , Kogan1911 , bassgdae , magicthegatheringplayer37 , Rootwalla09 , skaspels , thralak , NobleGhost117 , masterglencour , jsdk70 , Cunningcrow , gavriel1136 , kungfurabbi|
Doom Blade Discussion
6 hours ago
This looks like fun! We have some suggestions on how to improve this deck, but we're not entirely sure what your budget is, so we'll keep ourselves to some low-budget suggestions for now (let us know if you'd like us to elaborate on more expensive stuff too):
- Gonti, Lord of Luxury seems like a really nice card considering your overall strategy; especially if you can find ways to reuse his ETB trigger.
- Harvester of Souls is an exceptionally strong draw engine in a deck like yours.
- Royal Assassin is an exceptional engine of death; makes everyone think twice about tapping their creatures.
- Avatar of Woe/Visara the Dreadful are both very strong, assassin-like creatures, that would do well in your deck, though they are expensive to cast (in some cases).
We were a bit surprised to see you're playing a mono-black kill/sac deck, but without any of the incredible instant-kill power on offer for such a deck. Some examples we would definitely add would be:
And as a side note, we would also recommend Dark Ritual, because it's just awesome ramp.
- Mutilate and Black Sun's Zenith are absolutely awesome kill spells. Now imagine you cast these while you have Grave Betrayal on the field; everything you kill instantly becomes yours :)
- Buried Alive is by far the best tutor you could wish for in this deck; especially with Sheoldred on the field.
- Victimize is wonderful, considering whatever you sacrificed can be retrieved with Sheoldred.
- Rise from the Grave is awesome considering your overall strategy.
- Animate Dead/Dance of the Dead are great cards, cheap to cast, and can target whatever graveyard you wish to get some creatures from.
- Black Market makes a lot of sense in a deck that focuses on killing the way this deck does.
- Underworld Connections is a card we always recommend when it comes to mono-black, because draw is important.
Well that's it for now. We hope these suggestions are of use to you. Please let us know if they're not. Good luck with the deck.
With kind regards,
Mrs. and Mr. NV_1980
2 days ago
Because the ability doesn't specify any particular kind of damage, it means any damage for any reason.
The advantage of the ability is that you actually get to use Palladia-Mors without an opponent just up and killing it. Lots of big creatures have the "dies to Doom Blade problem", where you spend all the mana to put them on the battlefield and then someone shoots it with a kill spell before you get to do anything with it. Palladia-Mors' ability avoids that issue for the most part (non-targeted removal can still kill it, of course).
1 week ago
Creatures and Lands being handled I'd like to suggest two artifacts. Altar of Dementia lets you punish the player who dared to wipe your board by forcing them to mill a very large portion of their deck. My current record is forcing a blue player who C Rift Overloaded me to mill 78 cards.
On a note of protecting our big stompy creatures a Sword of Light and Shadow is simply fantastic protection since most creature spot removal is either Black or White. The graveyard recursion and life gain is simply icing on the cake of making people's Swords to Plowshares and Doom Blade useless against you swinging in for the kill.
1 week ago
Here are some budget black sideboard cards:
vs burn: Gifted Aetherborn
vs big mana: Rain of Tears
vs combo: Memoricide
vs midrange and control: Ob Nixilis Reignited
1 week ago
I'm going to preface my comment with what I always do: This is all positive criticism, and I don't want you to take anything the wrong way, I'm just giving you the comments I would take myself.
I love the idea, and having ways to gain life, alone, makes it difficult for aggro/burn decks to quickly take care of you. That being said, your deck is 1) too slow. 12 of your creatures die to a 2/2 with no keywords. If they bring out a 5/5 with trample, you lose. Period. You need creatures that work for you in a vacuum. A Vampire deck is a great idea for Drainin' Em :), you can run your deck around Mavren Fein, Dusk Apostle + Sanctum Seeker. Legion Lieutenant can help boost your army, and Lingering Souls are an extremely efficient and low costing way to keep you alive early game to aggro/burn decks. Vicious Conquistador is a really good 1 drop. 2 defense and having them lose one life upon attacking is so strong, especially when boosted by the aforementioned creatures. With the new creatures, I'd remove Drana's Emissary + Cliffhaven Vampire in a heartbeat. Slow, inefficient, and do nothing for you. Speed up the tempo here is key, so you give yourself a chance to win.
2) The deck needs removal. Again, if they have a 5/5 with trample, the game's over. If you had something like Doom Blade, or Mortify, or Oblivion Ring, or Unmake, you'd be in much better shape. All are great choices.
3) There are a few cards I am not a huge fan of. Campaign of Vengeance costs you 5 mana and does you pretty much nothing. What if you're not in a position to attack? What if you only have 3 creatures out? It's just not great until many more turns in, and at that point, you've either lost, or won. I'd prefer you put in a big creature, or add removal. Trespasser's Curse doesn't do you too much either. If they're running aggro, you're toast anyway. 1 life per creature makes 0 difference. If they're running control, it won't do you anything all game long. Children of Korlis is poor at all points in the game other than turn one. Late game, it's a dead draw, and they'll wipe you to 0 before his ability gains you life, and outside of turn 1, he's a chump blocker to anything more than a 1/1. Alternatives include -> Duskborne Skymarcher has flying, Indulgent Aristocrat has lifelink and can boost other Vampires, Vicious Conquistador has big defense and a nice ability to boot.
I know I ripped your deck apart, but I really like the idea, and lifelink is a really great mechanic you can work with to make a quality deck. Best of Luck!
1 week ago
The only problem with that is that you do not have a critical mass of enablers and usually, one creature is not enough. This is not infect, where every creature is as good as the next one. You have 12 payoffs and the deck does not work without them. You have 0 ways to find them or recur them when they die and 0 ways to protect them from Doom Blade and almost no way to get evasion for your dudes (just battle rage), so you have a total of 12 chances for your deck to actually work, which is super low.
Sure, when it works and you stick a Gear on a Geopede with a Battlerage in hand, while the opponent has no removal in hand - it will be good; but that is the hopeful scenario and anything other than that is not likely to be successful.
You have to maximize your chances.
1 week ago
Hi, while you do have some very powerful cards in this deck, you seem to have a very high mana curve for modern, as most games will be over before you reach many of your threats. Also, Ugin works well with colourless creatures, and so if possible, I would look to turn this into more of an Eldrazi Tron build, to make use of this. While you probably don't have access to cards such as Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger, the Breaker of Armies and Eldrazi Devastator will fill this role well enough. Past that, I would suggest some smaller Eldrazi, and if you go B/G, you could play some cards like Call the Scions for early game board presence and ramp, and some black kill spells such as Doom Blade, and Fatal Push if you can get your hands on some. Hope this helps, and good luck with the deck!
1 week ago
Cabal Coffers is a nice land.