Creature — Human Wizard
: Whenever a card is put into an opponent's graveyard from anywhere this turn, that player loses 1 life.: Target player puts the top two cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Duskmantle Guildmage Discussion
22 hours ago
Can I use Duskmantle Guildmage's first ability before I draw a card, so that me drawing triggers Sphinx's Tutelage, which triggers Duskmantle Guildmage, which triggers Mindcrank, and then back and forth till my opponent is either out of life or out of library?
3 days ago
It would 100% make the deck more powerful. I think I may do that and use it as my casual deck that way I can still use it and it's actually pretty competitive.
2 weeks ago
True, you could definitely upgrade Duress for Inquisition of Kozilek and Thoughtseize. In the games I have played with duress mainboard, it seems capable of dealing with taking out the cards taht could potentially be a danger to the combo pieces.
I would disagree with Lightning Bolt. The deck's goal going off the infinite combo as soon as possible, and Gut Shot enables that the same turn as I activate Duskmantle Guildmage! + I dont have to splash a third color :)
AEther Vial might not be as good as an 1-off, but it can make the combo go off on turn 3 instead of 4, so I think it has a place.
3 weeks ago
Well, all of the combos require a bit of setting up. I recommemd Mindcrank + Duskmantle Guildmage. It's a single target combo, but if yoy also use Altar of the Brood it kills every opponent at the table.
3 weeks ago
Duskmantle Guildmage + Mindcrank is a lifeloss & mill infinity combo. after the opponent has milled a shitload of cards by Glimpse the Unthinkable, you can exile the best of them and the rest of it in his deck and hand by Extirpate. Cabal Therapy is a nice card to get rid of some counterspells if you took a look at his or her hand by Gitaxian Probe. Jace's Phantasm is a 5/5 flying for . Rhystic Study is just a nice card draw engine. Have fun.
1 month ago
Everything Scouty suggested is correct, if you want to keep this is a mill deck, which is a fine route to take.
However, straight traditional mill is not the only option. How do you feel about combo mill? Given your goals of learning deckbuilding and having some fun, combo mill sounds like it'll meet your goals nicely without being too expensive either.
The combo is Duskmantle Guildmage + Mindcrank. Once those 2 pieces are assembled on the battlefield, you just need to activate Guildmage's ability then deal them 1 point of damage or mill them with something like Thought Scour, and then poof, they lose. Building that deck would use very few cards from this current deck, which is a definite drawback, but building it would give you a lot of room to explore and learn what cards you should be playing. It's a much more delicate deck that requires strong balance to function, so it would be throwing you in the deep end quite a bit as far as deckbuilding goes, but I'd be happy to help you along the way and when you finally finish a combo mill decklist, you'll have learned a lot more.
1 month ago
Manic Scribe looks interesting, since it's fairly simple to get delirium with discard effects (land, instant, sorcery, and enchantment/artifact, or even endbringer/a walker), but I worry that: one, it'll eat up all of the removal, since it'll be one of the only creatures in the deck, and two, while it does mill cards, it doesn't synergize with Sphinx's Tutelage.
The second worry also applies to Startled Awake // Persistent Nightmare. It costs a heck of a lot to bring back Startled Awake (to swing with Persistent Nightmare the turn you get it back, you have to leave up four  mana on their turn after presumably casting it for five  the turn before). Startled Awake // Persistent Nightmare seems to me like a build-around mill card for a separate deck, with Manic Scribe supplementing.
It also just doesn't do anything with Tutelage, which is the win-con in this mill deck. Similarly, I probably wouldn't put Traumatize in this deck, even if it were standard legal, or, say, Dreadwaters. It's also the reason you generally don't want to run lots of conventional mill cards in the Duskmantle Guildmage+Mindcrank mill combo deck, except maybe to get the combo started.
1 month ago
Mindcrank and Duskmantle Guildmage is a fun combo if you are going to pillow fort and Bloodchief Ascension for the hell of it. I agree with Teknetic, if your going for mill via Sphinx's Tutelage than you should definitely lean towards pillow fort so you can survive. Norn's Annex and Silent Arbiter are good for budget. I hate playing against mill, with that said +1 for me.
Check out my Modern Mill. Mindshrieker Holocaust (3rd Turn Win)
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Mind Grind + Mindcrank
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Hedron Crab + Mindcrank
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Keening Stone
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Geth's Verdict + Mindcrank
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Mindcrank + Phenax, God of Deception
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Mindcrank + Turn Aside
- Dimir Infiltrator + Duskmantle Guildmage + Mindcrank
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Psychic Strike
- Mindcrank + Duskmantle Guildmage
- Consuming Aberration + Duskmantle Guildmage
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Mindcrank + Duress
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Mind Grind
- Jace, Memory Adept + Duskmantle Guildmage
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Mindcrank + Thoughtseize
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Mindcrank + Servant of Tymaret
- Doom Blade + Duskmantle Guildmage + Mindcrank
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Nemesis of Reason
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Mindcrank + Shepherd of Rot
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Lich Lord of Unx + Mindcrank
- Gut Shot + Duskmantle Guildmage + Mindcrank
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Go for the Throat + Mindcrank
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Traumatize
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Mindcrank + Whispering Madness
- Breaking / Entering + Duskmantle Guildmage
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Jace, Memory Adept
- Consuming Aberration + Duskmantle Guildmage + Phenax, God of Deception
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Glimpse the Unthinkable
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Ghost Quarter + Mindcrank
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Phenax, God of Deception
- Circu, Dimir Lobotomist + Duskmantle Guildmage
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Mindcrank + Vapor Snag
- Crypt Ghast + Duskmantle Guildmage + Mind Grind
- Traumatize + Duskmantle Guildmage
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Mindcrank
- Psychic Barrier + Duskmantle Guildmage + Mindcrank
- Altar of the Brood + Duskmantle Guildmage + Mindcrank
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Psychic Spiral