Creature — Human Wizard1UB: Whenever a card is put into an opponent's graveyard from anywhere this turn, that player loses 1 life.2UB: Target player puts the top two cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Duskmantle Guildmage Discussion
1 week ago
Milling is one of my favorite win-conditions, and this deck is one of the most potent I've ever seen. Kudos! While I love the Duskmantle Guildmage/Mindcrank combo, I think of it more as an alternate win-condition for an otherwise non-mill deck as it can be put into any Dimir deck.
If your taste for EDH has soured due to expensive and flashy decks, check mine out. Two different mill EDH decks, both under $150, Talrand being the really hardcore deck.
2 weeks ago
Hey there, fun deck, Would you mind elaborating a bit more on the specific theme you're going for? Just cloning shenanigans, or stealing, or milling?
Most important part of any deck is mana. I would change Barren Moor for Tainted Isle, Change Rupture Spire for Drowned Catacomb, Maybe add in Thespian's Stage in place of Shimmering Grotto for more copying. I'm assuming this is failry budget, so maybe you don't want it, but Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth is great fixing.
Dralnu is a HUGE risk, if you suffer one Blasphemous Act or Arcbound, you may as well wipe your board. I recommend some more copying in the form of Body Double or Clever Impersonator. Body Double takes of all those cards you mill while trying to trigger Lazav, and the Clever Impersonator can clone Enchantments, Artifacts, and Creatures!
Necrotic Ooze is a dead creature or a blank body about 90% of the time, which is why I ended up cutting him. He only keeps activated abilities, and many times you have to pay outside your colors, if they even have an ability that is relevant. What if you had a Thassa, God of the Sea to help get some creatures in for some damage, or a Hedron Crab for more mill and potential disruption.
Instead of Xathrid Gorgon, What about Lazav's mistress Avatar of Woe. This lady loves milling and you get a CMC 8 creature for the low, low price of 2. Your opponents don't gain any blockers, and Lazav can become whatever dies. If not, Geth, Lord of the Vault can steal from the grave and mill a small amount, which could mean you get a lucky trigger on Lazav.
Vortex elemental's best, reusable ability is too expensive for one creature, and it reduces the impact of your draw by making you redraw the same stuff, and it doesn't save you because the opponent will just replay the same creatures, unless you have some reliable mill. For more mill, to make full use of Lazav and disrupt plans, try Dreamborn Muse, or maybe a Duskmantle Guildmage. (The Guildmage also has infinite combos with Mindcrank)
Havengul Lich is a risky card, though not quite so as the Ooze or Dralnu. What I mean is, you still have to pay full cost for creatures, color and all, which limit's his viability in a multiplayer game. I like cards like Undead Alchemist which turn mill into a functional board state (and has a fun interaction with Altar of the Brood). For a cheaper reanimate option, look into Animate Dead or Phyrexian Reclamation.
For non-creature spells
Phthisis? Holy crap this is one expensive kill spell. What about Go for the Throat, Rapid Hybridization or Reality Shift, when you wanna kill something, you don't wanna pay 7 mana at sorcery speed, or worse, wait 5 turns. Cheap, fast kills means they are dead before they hit you, and you can do more than just dedicate a turn to killing one dude.
If you want a budget tutor, go with Diabolic Tutor, and you have no CMC restriction.
Rather than Voidwalk, what about a classic blue stable for card draw Rhystic Study?
Soul Ransom is worse than Control Magic and the more non-budget Treachery
Millstone is, like, terrible slow. Maybe look into a Chromatic Lantern for powerful mana fixing/ small ramp, Armillary Sphere for more ramp, or a Mesmeric Orb for the most powerful one-card mill engine in Magic: The Gathering?
Instead of Illusionist's Gambit, Sleep, then no one attacks this turn or next.
FOr more ideas, or to see the context of my ideas, look into my Dimir Theme deck, Welcome to the Undercity
2 weeks ago
A lot of mill decks use the same cards, as there are only a handful of good card to use, so no worries. One of my other favorite mill win-cons is the Duskmantle Guildmage and Mindcrank infinite mill combo. I've played both, but I really enjoy this build a little more.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you like the description, I was trying to be comical with it. Most people give a solid explanation of their deck and it's inner workings. I was going for a laugh in the process as well. Thanks for the +1.
2 weeks ago
I really like the whole mill concept in Tiny Leaders and your design of the deck, I think I'm going to try it!
2 weeks ago
3 weeks ago
3 weeks ago
3 weeks ago
Necrotic Ooze could be worthwhile. Jace, Memory Adept used to be in this deck, but I've since transferred him to my Bruna, Light of Alabaster deck, where he fits in better, in my opinion. I used to run that infernal combo of + ; turns out, I run too many graveyard-based cards that I was simply getting screwed by Leyline of the Void too many times. Bloodchief Ascension and Duskmantle Guildmage wouldn't work, Wrexial, the Risen Deep would become nothing but a blocker, Consuming Aberration was useless, et cetera. Thanks for offering those though!
|Power / Toughness||2/2|
|Avg. draft pick||7.42|
|Avg. cube pick||2.71|
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Mindcrank
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Jace, Memory Adept
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Traumatize
- Codex Shredder + Duskmantle Guildmage
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Keening Stone
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Undercity Informer
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Tome Scour
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Mind Sculpt + Nemesis of Reason
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Mindcrank + Phenax, God of Deception
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Mindcrank + Whispering Madness
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Mind Grind + Mindcrank
- Breaking / Entering + Duskmantle Guildmage
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Sword of Body and Mind
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Grindstone
- Traumatize + Duskmantle Guildmage
- Bloodchief Ascension + Duskmantle Guildmage + Mindcrank
- Consuming Aberration + Duskmantle Guildmage
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Mind Grind
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Nemesis of Reason
- Jace, Memory Adept + Duskmantle Guildmage
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Mindcrank + Servant of Tymaret
- Circu, Dimir Lobotomist + Duskmantle Guildmage
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Psychic Strike
- Bloodchief Ascension + Duskmantle Guildmage
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Mindcrank + Tome Scour
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Mesmeric Orb
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Mind Sculpt + Tome Scour
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Hedron Crab + Mindcrank
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Undead Alchemist
- Mindcrank + Duskmantle Guildmage
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Mindcrank + Shepherd of Rot
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Lich Lord of Unx + Mindcrank
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Memory Sluice
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Glimpse the Unthinkable
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Hedron Crab
- Dimir Infiltrator + Duskmantle Guildmage + Mindcrank
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Ghost Quarter + Mindcrank
- Consuming Aberration + Duskmantle Guildmage + Phenax, God of Deception