Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|TCGPlayer.com Price||Cardhoarder (MTGO) Price|
|$0.15||$0.51||$1.09||$1.74||0.01 TIX||0.03 TIX|
|Have (13)||cclyburn7556 , webdokkeren , Josh50 , XxCataclysmiCxX , zachi , Pinkiepiek9 , Comicalflop , rexxxif , Raknamadak , AzulHunter , coolkid1212 , much-doge , NuBByThuMB|
|Want (2)||marz1342 , NexusZero|
Duskmantle Guildmage Discussion
1 day ago
I think you need to decide on what you want to do with the deck. Yes I know you want to Mill but you have an infinite combo at the moment in Duskmantle Guildmage + either a Quest Countered Bloodchief Ascension or Mindcrank + a trigger either damage or a card entering the graveyard. Or you have heavy mill cards Glimpse the Unthinkable and Mind Funeral. But running both is weakening both parts of the deck I think you should focus on one aspect
1 day ago
How about a Duskmantle Guildmage to create a combo with Mind Crank.
1 day ago
As this deck is labelled as competitive, I will give competitive suggestions. Not to be mean, but your deck seems to lack a focus. It's all over the place, at least to my eyes. So I'm going to give some suggestions to hopefully improve it =)!
My list is long, so get your reading glasses XD!
First things first, I would take out some cards to make a full 4 Glimpse the Unthinkable, it's basically the best mill card. I would also cut some stuff for a full 4 Archive Trap, then run stuff like Ghost Quarter and splash white for Path to Exile (a very solid removal spell that either triggers the trap or is one mana spot removal) using fetchlands (e.g. Flooded Strand, Polluted Delta, Marsh Flats), which trigger hedron crab twice, and Shocklands to fetch (e.g. Hallowed Fountain, Watery Grave, Godless Shrine). Possibly also run Trapmaker's Snare to search for the Archive Traps? There's so much library search in modern that sometimes you won't have to set up your Archive Trap.
Now on to what to cut.
Consuming Aberration - WAAAAAAY to slow for modern. I'd much rather put in some more cheap, efficient mill cards.
+ - it's cute, but it's basically just wasting 4 spots. The chance you happen to have 2 two-ofs in your hand and get them working undisrupted before your opponent beats you is very, very low. Also, running the combo efficiently takes away from your deck's main goal - like, all you'll want to topdeck is a mill card, and you get Mindcrank or the rather slow Duskmantle Guildmage.
Psychic Strike - I'd much rather have something like Visions of Beyond. It can draw you extra mill cards to finish off the game, rather than having to slow down the game. Plus, if you INSIST in playing a counterspell, Mana Leak, Remand, Deprive, Spell Snare, and Cryptic Command are all better than Psychic Strike (in modern, at least.)
Memory Erosion - modern's a little too fast for this, it'll often just be 3 mana for around 6 cards, as they'll have beaten you by the time it starts being worth the 3 mana.
Tome Scour - although it's cheap and efficient, you're using one card to mill 5. It's good for your curve, but it's not enough of a heavy hitter. I'd much rather drop a Hedron Crab and play some fetchlands, or a Thought Scour (which doesn't put you at card disadvantage) to fill up the curve.
Jace, Memory Adept - too slow of a card for modern in my opinion.
Crypt Incursion - more of a sideboard card
Surgical Extraction - definite 4-of. Amazing versus combo.
Damnation - good card in general
The other cards currently in your sideboard I just didn't see much potential in; I couldn't see sideboarding them in against any particular deck, except for Trapmaker's Snare, it's more of a mainboard card if you want to play it. It could also be good against decks with a lot of library search, but I'd rather use that sideboard slot for something else.
And that's all I could think of for now! I wish you the best of luck in any future endeavors.
2 days ago
If you're looking to budget, a place where I've seen a lot of decks jack up the price is lands. While to get these cheaper, you do have to sacrifice a bit of speed, it's better than paying $2 per land. I'd suggest swapping your Darkwater Catacombs for Dimir Aqueduct. It's not a perfect solution, but if the land you pick back up has already been tapped, speed is less of an issue. The Refuge cards (Jwar Isle Refuge and similar ones) are very good budget dual lands. I would suggest swapping Dragonskull Summit and Temple of Malice for a pair of Akoum Refuges. Crumbling Necropolis may be a good decision as well, just so you get that little bit of red you need as well. Dismal Backwater can replace the rest of your blue/black lands. For budgeting purposes, these are better, even if they don't necessarily play better.
I would look into AEtherize or Aether Gale to replace Cyclonic Rift. They're way more limited, admittedly, but they're also significantly cheaper. Also, Unsummon could be a good, quick one for an individual basis Definitely look into Rise/Fall as a potential replacement for Thoughtseize. At random isn't as good as choosing, but it's something. $22 cheaper something. Swap Mind Twist for Mind Shatter. Higher cmc, lower price. Struggle for Sanity could also be a decent discard spell, as a replacement for Thoughtseize. As far as discard pain goes, Duskmantle Guildmage's 1UB ability is useful if you're making a larger play. The cost may not be worth it, but you should at least know it's there.
I haven't done much with discard/bounce so there could be better stuff out there that I'm not aware of. These are the ones I was able to find that were cheaper than what you have. Again, they probably won't work as well, but if your intent is casual play, they'll suffice.
2 days ago
This deck is pretty solid as is, but I'm a sucker for counters. You could look into Psychic Strike to add a few counters to this deck. I would also consider Balustrade Spy or Destroy the Evidence, Nephalia Drownyard, and Duskmantle Guildmage. They've got some useful mill abilities, and Duskmantle Guildmage can make them pay dearly for every card you mill. Just some thoughts. I've been looking into making a cheap mill deck, and I like a lot of the ideas you have in this one.
2 days ago
The first thing I would suggest doing with the deck is deciding on is if you want to focus on the infinite mill/damage combo between Duskmantle Guildmage, and Mindcrank or if you want to focus on running a strong mill deck that aims to deplete an opponents library in the most efficient manner possible. If you want to focus on the combo route I would suggest adding a 4xAEther Vial, running a playset of your combo pieces, running 4xSerum Visions, 4xThoughtseize, 4xInquisition of Kozilek, 4xThought Scour 4xHedron Crab, 4xRavenous Rats, etc. and trying to make the deck as focussed as possible on getting your combo to go off and win. If you want to play the efficient mill deck then I would recommend running 4xArchive Trap, 4xBreaking, 4xGlimpse the Unthinkable, 4xMind Funeral, 4xThought Scour, 4xVisions of Beyond, 4xSurgical Extraction, 4xExtirpate, and 4xHedron Crab.
3 days ago
I know you want straightforward mill, but have you ever considered going all-out Duskmantle Guildmage + Mindcrank infinite combo? It can be built for really cheap and be very playable. For a sample list, look at Infa-mill (Turn 4 win for $28). It's pretty effective.
3 days ago
Hedron crabs are on my "when I have money" list, sadly I got into magic about the same time I had my daughter, and she's a budget hog. Same for the fancy lands, like Polluted Deltas and Dimir Aqueduct
Might pony up the money for some Mind Funerals, instead of Mind Grinds, Crypt Incursion would be nice for the life gain, but my hope is to have milled them far too hard by that point to really need it.
|Power / Toughness||2/2|
|Avg. draft pick||7.41|
|Avg. cube pick||2.72|
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Mindcrank
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Jace, Memory Adept
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Traumatize
- Codex Shredder + Duskmantle Guildmage
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Keening Stone
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Undercity Informer
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Tome Scour
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Mind Sculpt + Nemesis of Reason
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Mindcrank + Phenax, God of Deception
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Mindcrank + Whispering Madness
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Mind Grind + Mindcrank
- Breaking / Entering + Duskmantle Guildmage
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Sword of Body and Mind
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Grindstone
- Traumatize + Duskmantle Guildmage
- Bloodchief Ascension + Duskmantle Guildmage + Mindcrank
- Consuming Aberration + Duskmantle Guildmage
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Mind Grind
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Nemesis of Reason
- Jace, Memory Adept + Duskmantle Guildmage
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Mindcrank + Servant of Tymaret
- Circu, Dimir Lobotomist + Duskmantle Guildmage
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Psychic Strike
- Bloodchief Ascension + Duskmantle Guildmage
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Mindcrank + Tome Scour
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Mesmeric Orb
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Mind Sculpt + Tome Scour
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Hedron Crab + Mindcrank
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Undead Alchemist
- Mindcrank + Duskmantle Guildmage
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Mindcrank + Shepherd of Rot
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Lich Lord of Unx + Mindcrank
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Memory Sluice
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Glimpse the Unthinkable
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Hedron Crab
- Dimir Infiltrator + Duskmantle Guildmage + Mindcrank
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Ghost Quarter + Mindcrank
- Consuming Aberration + Duskmantle Guildmage + Phenax, God of Deception
- Altar of Dementia + Consuming Aberration + Duskmantle Guildmage
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Invisible Stalker + Mindcrank
- Codex Shredder + Duskmantle Guildmage + Mindcrank
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Mindcrank + Vapor Snag
- Doom Blade + Duskmantle Guildmage + Mindcrank
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Mana Leak + Mindcrank
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Mindcrank + Duress
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Mindcrank + Pact of Negation
- Annul + Duskmantle Guildmage + Mindcrank
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Go for the Throat + Mindcrank
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Mindcrank + Turn Aside
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Mindcrank + Gut Shot
- Archive Trap + Duskmantle Guildmage + Ghost Quarter
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Trepanation Blade
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Mindcrank + Surgical Extraction
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Mindcrank + Thoughtseize
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Geth's Verdict + Mindcrank
- Psychic Barrier + Duskmantle Guildmage + Mindcrank
- Altar of the Brood + Duskmantle Guildmage + Mindcrank
- Gut Shot + Duskmantle Guildmage + Mindcrank
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Phenax, God of Deception
- Crypt Ghast + Duskmantle Guildmage + Mind Grind
- Duskmantle Guildmage + Lich Lord of Unx + Undead Alchemist