Syr Konrad, the Grim
Legendary Creature — Human Knight
Whenever another creature is put into the graveyard from anywhere or leaves the graveyard, Syr Konrad, the Grim deals 1 damage to each opponent.
: Each player mills a card. (They each put the top card of their library into their graveyard.)
|Want (2)||MonkeySit , deathdealer1225|
Printings View all
|Zendikar Rising: Commander (ZNC)||Uncommon|
|Throne of Eldraine (ELD)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
- Syr Konrad, the Grim + Tainted Strike
- Bojuka Bog + Syr Konrad, the Grim
- Altar of Dementia + Syr Konrad, the Grim
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Syr Konrad, the Grim occurrence in decks from the last year
Recommendations View more recommendations
Latest Decks as Commander
Syr Konrad, the Grim Discussion
1 week ago
Rainbowjuice77 - the only one of them that can search multiply libraries (including yours) is Bitter Ordeal, since you can change target for every copy of Bitter Ordeal, but you need to trigger it somehow (I use it in my Syr Konrad, the Grim's For the Void deck with Desecrated Tomb + Phyrexian Altar + Tortured Existence
as a main engine for different stuff).
There is a lot of cards that can be really sweet with Opposition Agent, the most casual use would be to use Op.Agent just on its own, without anything else like Maralen of the Mornsong, etc..
And with Wishclaw Talisman I would definitely run Homeward Path :D
1 week ago
Haakon players rejoice! The newcomer Netherborn Altar now doubles the number of cards that let you actually get Haakon into the game.
You might also appreciate Gravebreaker Lamia as a tutor that makes all your dead knights cheaper to replay, Cavalier of Night as a kill spell stapled to a knight, Blacklance Paragon as a combat trick you can play from your graveyard at instant speed, Liliana's Standard Bearer as repeatable card draw and Syr Konrad, the Grim as a big boy who will wear your opponent down whenever you play a knight from your graveyard, sacrifice a creature or even discard a creature... basically everything the deck wants to be doing already. Good luck with this challenging commander!
1 week ago
For the infinite etb/die triggers, you might also include Thornbite Staff attached to Gisa, together with something that can provide any amount of like Phyrexian Altar. I know you dont plan on buying any other cards and those two cards might be a bit more expensive, but just another option you can think about.
Im thinking about adding Gisa, Thornbite Staff and some other cards to my Syr Konrad, the Grim's For the Void deck, but its already hard enough to find any free spot... :D I run several cards as you as a combo pieces, so you might check those out, its a mix of aristocrat/reanimator.
I would replace Tormented Thoughts - since this isnt really any discard focused deck for Beacon of Unrest - just to have another reanimator spell that can hit anyone's graveyard, but more importantly, it can bring back some of yours artifact combo piece. Land budget variant could be Buried Ruin.
2 weeks ago
Hello there, fellowr Syr Konrad player!
You could check my own Syr Konrad, the Grim's deck: For the Void to see how I went with him, why did I chose the cards I chosen and maybe you'll see some cards you might like too. Some feedback and upvote would be very appreciated aswell! :)
First things first, type CMDR behind "1x Syr Konrad, the Grim" in your decklist to specify him as a commander.
Second, I would probably avoid discard cards like: Mind Rot,Cavern Whisperer when its not discard focused deck.
Same would go with Underworld Dreams.. yes, it can punish some decks for their big card draws, but doesnt really fit the idea of the deck that well. But you could always add Peer into the Abyss which pairs with Underworld Dreams really well.
Next cut would probably be some creatures that doesnt really do much and other cards:
1) Barrow Witches - your only Knight is Syr Konrad, which you will 99.9% times cast from command zone anyway.
2) Feral Abomination - for 5/5 deathtouch is kinda meh, something that generates tokens would be much better, with so many creatures, cards like Pawn of Ulamog and Sifter of Skulls are nice budget options (even when token creature dies, it goes to graveyard -> triggering Syr Konrad's ability, then insantly vanishes).
3) Squelching Leeches - this can grow fairly big if you play for a lot of turns, but without anything that ramps your Swamps out quick, its just slow dumb creature.
4) Vampire Opportunist - its ability is really expensive just to drain 2 life.
5) Im sure you could replace much more creature for something more usefeul, either a card draw, removal, sacrifice outlets or more token generators. 6) Merciless Resolve is worse version of Altar's Reap, which is now worse than Village Rites.
7) Pharika's Libation - Im personally fan of this removal, just because your opponent can choose what to sacrifice. Feed the Swarm is definitely a better option.
8) Kaya's Ghostform - Kaya's Ghostform is okay, cheap protection for only one . You could add more protection, like: Malakir Rebirth Flip, which works even better, because its an instant speed "protection" and can also be used as a land if needed.
9) Evolving Wilds - no need to run this at all. You would be better to switch it either for an additional Swamp or some other utility land. Also Myriad Landscape is cheap budget option to ramp a bit, but its quite slow.
Some cards you could throw in:
1) Cabal Stronghold - budget version of Cabal Coffers, which can tap itself for and adds a decent number of black mana later on.
2) Crypt of Agadeem - with so many black creatures in your deck, this could ramp you a lot. Costs few dollars, but is definitely worth it in mono-black decks like yours.
3) Some mana rocks and spells to help you with ramp, so you won't fall behind that much should help for sure. There is plenty of mana rocks you could use, starting with Sol Ring/Mana Geode/Arcane Signet, also something like Bontu's Monument, Charcoal Diamond. There is also Culling the Weak/Dark Ritual/Cabal Ritual to give you some fast mana, on top of Bubbling Muck and Songs of the Damned. If you browse some other decks and the internet, you can find plenty of mono-black creatures and/or artifacts that can ramp your super fast.
4) Again, with so many creatures in your deck, try to get Morality Shift - which could easily take out all your opponents at once with Syr Konrad on Board. More creature returning spells from yor graveyard could be: Gravepurge/Forever Young and Death Denied. Gravepurge and Forever Young works even better with something like Bolas's Citadel, enabling you to cast those cheap creatures right away and possibly even sacrifice them, triggering Syr Konrad's at least twice each time.
5) In my opinion, super strong card like Tortured Existence. It can easily trigger Syr Konrad's twice, getting big creatures into your graveyard to reanimate them later, get cheap creatures back into your hand to re-cast them again, save some creatures from graveyard hate and works well with Desecrated Tomb. All that at instant speed, as many times as much you got to pay! And its really $cheap.
2 weeks ago
I see a lot of shiny cards! Love the deck "intro" :D
Instead of typing all the cards I would suggest, I got a similar deck, just with Syr Konrad, the Grim: For the Void, the idea of the deck, just like with Ayara, is to get creatures, kills them, ping opponents to death.. with few bonuses. Maybe you'll like some cards, I would definitely suggest Tortured Existence (even if it doesnt like working with Necropotence, because of the discarding into exile), with Desecrated Tomb to make a 1/1 black bat token with flying for at instant speed and since Ayara loves black creatures, its would be really good :D Black itself offers a lot of card draw to replace Necropotence.
I also wrote an explanation why I use every single card in the deck, if you would wonder why some stuff are even in there. :D Also if you would decide to give some feedback aswell, I would appreaciate it :P
Anyway, about some cards I would probably replace here:
1) Ugin, the Ineffable - making colorless cards cheaper is definitely nice, but most cards here are already cheap enough with a decent mono-black ramp, which just make it less effective 6 drop. Making tokens into card draw when they die is alright, but again, black has tons of way to generate tokens and card draw (also less synergy with Ayara, since those tokens arent black). His permanent removal is a little bit better for mono-black decks, but since it takes 2 turns to use that ability again (and killing Ugin in process) is slow, cards like Meteor Golem would be probably much more effective as a permanent removal, since it just targets any permanent no matter the color AND is a creature, so sac Meteor Golem and reanimate later. Also, Feed the Swarm.
2) Cemetery Reaper - there is only 5 other Zombie creatures (if I dont count tokens from Grave Titan,Army of the Damned and Open the Graves). Even with some zombies on board, +1/+1 is pretty small buff and Cemetery Reaper is just slow token generator.
3) Beseech the Queen - even for , you are forced to reveal the tutored card, which makes it pretty bad tutor and in my personal opinion, one of the worst tutors in mono-black. As much as I love BtQ art, its a big no from me. Just for , there is budget Diabolic Tutor that wont make you reveal the card you tutored for. Or, a bit more expensive, but mana cheaper and great in token decks: Diabolic Intent. BsQ also limits you by the number of lands you control, so its less effective in the early game.
4) Caged Sun - I know how the mana doubling is nice, but since it costs to get out, then wait a turn to get value out of it might be slow. I think tutoring for Cabal Coffers/Cabal Stronghold might be just faster and more effective. Similar problem with Gauntlet of Power, even if it costs less, it affects lands of the chosen color your opponents control too, which just might lead to some ugly moments :D Probably something like Mirage Mirror would be a good replacement, so you can make an additional copy of Cabal Coffers. Another one could be Pawn of Ulamog, since you have plenty of creatures and those 0/1 Eldrazi tokens could help you with ramp.
Some more cards that could be nice:
1) Piper of the Swarm - cheap creature that buffs some of your other rats and can make rat tokens for cheap aswell, with mind control effect too. There are some really cool Ayara decks with rat tribal aswell.
2) Clackbridge Troll - I pretty like this card since I first saw it... its big ugly troll that does a lot of stuff, forcing your opponent to sac a creature to give you 3 life and 1 card, ooorrrr you the troll hits them! :D
3) Songs of the Damned/Bubbling Muck - both are pretty good to give you a lot of mana to cast a some big stuff during a single turn.
4) Malakir Rebirth Flip - this is definitely a cool card from the last set, giving either Ayara or any other creature important at the moment "protection" or just use it as a land if needed. With Vilis on board, it also draws you 2 cards for at instant speed.
2 weeks ago
Village Rites is a strictly better Altar's Reap. I recommend 4x Whisper Squad over Mardu Shadowspear as they can easily grab you additional sac fodder. Also, I think Bastion of Remembrance is a much better Syr Konrad, the Grim. For an aggressive deck, the mana curve matters and the additional token is helpful too. Finally, and your mileage may vary on this since it looks like you're trying to include mostly non-rares and not recent sets, Lurrus of the Dream-Den would be a very good card to include, probably over Blood for Bones. Good luck!