Temple of Deceit
Temple of Deceit enters the battlefield tapped.
When Temple of Deceit enters the battlefield, scry 1. (Look at the top card of your library. You may put that card on the bottom of your library.)
: Add or to your mana pool.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (19)||Nemesis , warcry02 , tragic_slip , TheRealPeaches , REV666 , ZombieFood , RubyStrings , acbooster , CampbellStev , sonnet666 , cryptoplasm , , brokendwarf , Caldazar , SirFabius , the.beanpole , mcstang1986 , ibraJG84 , gildan_bladeborn|
|Want (5)||meowCat1234 , bradyofportdetroit , TheRealPeaches , Turtlelover73 , fireborne1986|
Temple of Deceit Discussion
1 week ago
I like it!
My only concern: Is reliquary tower necessary? It doesn't seem like you'd have to discard down to 7 often unless you get really lucky with Treasure Hunt (although I may be wrong, I don't know the ins-and-outs like you do). Temple of Deceit or Temple of Epiphany perhaps?
2 weeks ago
It also seems bad playing 8 tapped lands in modern. Do you need the guildgates? If you are going to have tapped lands, you might as well play Temple of Deceit. Or just drop them and play 2 ghost quarter and 2 drowned catacomb. This shouldn't bring the budget for the deck up too much.
3 weeks ago
Thats alright, but it only occurs for 6 cards each time you use the combo. Meaning that, for each ThNoSe and FeGu, you only mill 6 cards from their hand. Unless you have two FeGu, but then you should invest in some more of card draw such as the temple lands which help you scry (i cant remember what the blue white one is but the blue black one is Temple of Deceit)
4 weeks ago
QuantumSkies, I use Wight of Precinct Six and Jace's Phantasm as defense whilst my plan hatches, or if i really need to they can be my attacking force. I have been considering all morning to put Liliana Vess into my sideboard and the issue of deck size has also been one playing on my mind, but I can't decide which cards to remove (extensive help wanted). Psychic Strike was a replacement for Counterspell which is illegal in modern. I chose Psychic Strike as a replacement because it fits right in with the typical 3 mana counter any spell and provides a little extra ability which works with my cause. I use Temple of Deceit to help me choose which cards I need from whats coming up, and Dismal Backwater helps me to stay on top of the game in terms of life, even if it is just 4 additional life. I am INCREDIBLY disliking of cards that make me pay life, I don't know why, but I dont like having to sacrifice my own health. I will definitely consider Mesmeric Orb, whereas with the slightly lower mana curve of my deck along with being able to somewhat decide which cards I get, Ensnaring Bridge loses its appeal, as I would intend to have emptied my hand by the time I get to 3 or 4 mana, with exceptions to my counter spells.
4 weeks ago
If your win condition is mill then why do you have creatures not related to mill like Wight of Precinct Six and Jace's Phantasm? Sure, there is synergy but it will just make both plans of play more inefficient if you have damage and mill cards. Liliana Vess is a little slow and Psychic Strike is a little inefficient. Some cards to consider are Mesmeric Orb and Ensnaring Bridge. Reducing your deck to 60 is optimal because you can draw the cards you want more frequently. For lands, Watery Grave and Polluted Delta could replace Dismal Backwater and Temple of Deceit.
1 month ago
Just some thoughts in case they help build off of what Immortalized said or provide any other useful things to look at:
There are a lot of other draw cards too that you might consider:
- Ambition's Cost / Ancient Craving / Read the Bones / Sign in Blood are decent cheap black draw spells that cost a little bit of life
- Phyrexian Arena
- Fact or Fiction
- Telling Time / Brainstorm / Ponder / Preordain / Foresee If you want some Scry/Shuffle/Deck Manipulation with your draw
And countless more. In a deck like this though there's a lot of value to be had in something like Phyrexian Arena since 1 life per upkeep is no biggie with Oloro around
Here's some other good removal to think about:
- Merciless Eviction and Austere Command can give you a lot of options
- Cyclonic Rift / Wash Out / Aether Gale can set an opponent back a lot. Cyclonic Rift for it's overload is the best!
- Curse of the Swine is always fun
- Supreme Verdict if you get overwhelmed or desperate. It's strictly better in my opinion that Wrath of God or Day of Judgment
- Toxic Deluge is another great creature removal if you have life to spare
Slow Down Taxes
Here are some cards that can really halt your opponent's aggression:
- Ghostly Prison / Propaganda / Sphere of Safety to make them pay to attack
- Rhystic Study to make them pay additional for each spell they cast (or let you draw)
- Imposing Sovereign
- Fog Bank / Guard Gomazoa / Wall of Frost Fun cheap defenders that can stick around or eat removal
Some other creatures worth mentioning that tax an opponent's life:
- Fate Unraveler Damage on draw. Can be great for forcing end of game on an opponent's draw step if you get your combos set and can't push it over the edge (unlikley). At any rate he can be pesky.
- Blood Artist / Blood Seeker / Cliffhaven Vampire / Deathgreeter / Falkenrath Noble / Suture Priest / Zulaport Cutthroat All sorts of interactions and costs associated with creatures.
- Kambal, Consul of Allocation Life cost to play spells. Another great way to trip some combos and source life for draws.
Here's some other cards that are worth noting:
- Pristine Talisman combos well if you have Oloro out (Tap to gain life, spend the mana to draw the card and cost each opponent 1 life)
- Baleful Strix can be great utility in this kind of deck
- Reliquary Tower Is always great in draw decks
One card I'd definitely recommend ditching is Azor's Elocutors.
Other cards I see that I'd consider removing if it was me:
- Palisade Giant CMC too high for too little bonus in my opinion.
- Azorius Chancery / Dimir Aqueduct / Orzhov Basilica . I've seen these mess up players' tempo and strategy so many times. They're also great value for any opponents running land destruction. Some other options to consider could include: Drowned Catacomb / Glacial Fortress / Isolated Chapel if you want faster mana. OR Temple of Silence / Temple of Enlightenment / Temple of Deceit if you want the bonus scry. OR maybe even something as simple as Scoured Barrens / Tranquil Cove / Dismal Backwater in the hopes the 1 life lets you get a bonus draw.
I used to play an Oloro deck as well (albeit it with a very different affinity ) using a ton more artifacts and some fun combinations around Darksteel Forge and Nevinyrral's Disk . He's a great commander and a lot of fun. I hope you enjoy the deck and can find something useful in any of my suggestions.
Good luck and happy hunting!
1 month ago
I wouldn't suggest her anyway, she's horrible with countermagic :P
4 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver is surely too much. Drawing too many is bad; the card does nothing against a lot of decks such as Affinity/Infect/Burn. Why not play something like a Jace, Architect of Thought, Ob Nixilis Reignited, or Tamiyo, the Moon Sage to have win conditions that you can play in addition to Ashiok, but still get value/CA/more removal?
If we're doing Dragonlord Silumgar, you've got to do Crux of Fate. Flavour win + doesn't kill your own guy + cheaper than Finale. 4 mana is ideal for a sweeper, of course, but barring that owing to budget - though MM17 reprints should help with Damnation - Crux is the closest we can go.
Consider Fatal Push, Far / Away, and Geth's Verdict as replacements for the removal you have now; particularly Curse of Chains and Last Gasp. Instant speed edicts are very powerful, and Push is an obvious not-too-expensive upgrade over the Gasp. Murderous Cut, Hero's Downfall and Dismember are also not particularly expensive, and are all better than Doom Blade.
Consider Deprive for countermagic. It's a tempo loss, I'll grant you, but it's unconditional. Alternatively, just play Countersquall or Negate. I'm just not sold on Rune Snag, is all, but I could be very wrong, and perhaps the card has performed really well for you? Some small number of 3 mana countermagic like Disallow and Dissipate might not be the worst either. Yes, I like Dissolve, but scry 1 is not as important as exile or Stifle against Eldrazi, planeswalkers, etc.
Think Twice over some number of Telling Time and Divination. Instant speed, allowing you to hold up countermagic; 2 for 1, resilient to countermagic - def. seems like an upgrade over your current card draw spells. Also with regard to card draw, Jace's Ingenuity is a better restock spell than Divination. Instant speed draw 3 is quite good, and it is also sadly the best non Ancestral Vision option in the format. Further consider Shadow of Doubt. The card is backbreaking if you time it right, and worst case scenario, it replaces itself.
You don't want to scoop to resolved walkers, nor do you want to scoop to artifacts/enchantments; Hero's Downfall can take care of the former, while Engineered Explosives with a manabase of fetches and shocks is the best Dimir can do for the latter in Modern. That said, Ratchet Bomb can do a reasonable Explosives imitation a good deal of the time. Also definitely consider Extirpate in the board. It's not as expensive as Surgical Extraction but in a draw-go shell is arguably more powerful. It is also one of your only few ways to interact with graveyard based strategies since you don't have much direct exile or Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet. While the traitor I would recommend absolutely, I understand he is perhaps too expensive for what you have in mind.
Last, but not least, AEtherling. A lot of Modern decks concede to a resolved Aetherling.
With regard to the manabase, consider Sunken Hollow, Creeping Tar Pit, Temple of Deceit and Darkslick Shores as potential replacements for Evolving Wilds. Tar Pit is the only non-budget suggestion in that list, with the other lands being fairly cheap, and powerful in their effects. You should also be able to accommodate no small number of Ghost Quarter, which may shore up the Eldra/Tron matchup and give you better play against manlands from Raging Ravine to Celestial Colonnade to Inkmoth Nexus, and utility lands in the form of Gavony Township, Academy Ruins, etc.
I've been tinkering with Dimir in Modern for over a year now, and have perhaps spent a touch more time on the archetype than perhaps is healthy. :D I'm sorry about how long that was, but hopefully this is helpful!