|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Core Set 2019 (M19)||Uncommon|
|Commander Anthology 2018 (CM2)||Uncommon|
|Commander Anthology (CM1)||None|
|Eldritch Moon (EMN)||Uncommon|
|Commander 2015 (C15)||Uncommon|
|Magic 2013 (M13)||Uncommon|
|MTG: Commander (CMD)||Uncommon|
|2011 Core Set (M11)||Uncommon|
|Duel Decks: Garruk vs. Liliana (DDD)||Uncommon|
|2010 Core Set (M10)||Uncommon|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Rise from the Grave
Put target creature card in a graveyard onto the battlefield under your control. That creature is a black Zombie in addition to its other colours and types.
Rise from the Grave Discussion
2 weeks ago
Well, you could add Rise from the Grave to take a creature from an opponents graveyard if you want to..
4 weeks ago
Additions to consider - Lim-Dul the Necromancer - Field of the Dead - Cemetery Reaper - Army of the Damned - Zombie Master - Dark Salvation - Noxious Ghoul - Noosegraf Mob - Risen Executioner - Corpse Connoisseur - Gempalm Polluter - Mausoleum Secrets - From Under the Floorboards - Graf Harvest - Call to the Grave - Cabal Stronghold
2 months ago
An interesting route might be something that allows you to take peoples creatures from the graveyard once you’ve killed them?
Also, you could run Cover of Darkness as an alternate win con, if someone shuts down your mil somehow, by shutting off activated abilities or something.
Also Steely Resolve protects all those pesky petitioners!
3 months ago
5 months ago
Some cards to consider:
- Bojuka Bog : A must include in any black commander deck.
- Boneknitter : Utility, simple as that.
- Corpse Harvester : Out with the old, in with the new... and a swamp!
- Cryptbreaker : So much value in such a small package. Token generating, card draw, good in the early and late game... what is not to love about this card!
- Death Baron : A zombie lord with some extra punch Sure he doesn't get deathtouch himself, but all those 2/2 tokens that are now 3/3 deathtouch.
- Dread Summons : Ever seen those zombie movies with that big hoard that just keeps coming... that's this card. Gives you a bunch of tokens, and recursion bait for your commander.
- Endless Ranks of the Dead : Card title kind of says it all for this one. Obviously not the best in metas with wrath effects coming down every turn, but shines like a copper penny otherwise.
- Ghoulcaller Gisa : So take one creature, throw it under the bus, and get more...
- Grave Titan : Why this thing isn't a zombie I will never know. 6/6 for 6, deathtouch, and brings two friends with it AND when it attacks.
- Graveborn Muse : Card draw based on zombies, who is also a zombie!
- Infernal Caretaker : Mass recursion, either play them out, or discard them back for more effects.
- Liliana, Death's Majesty : Just an all around strong zombie planeswalker.
- Liliana's Mastery : Zombies + an anthem that won't be a big target for removal.
- Lord of the Undead : A low to the ground zombie lord with recursion on a stick.
- Noxious Ghoul : Sweeps out low toughness cards for things you're already doing. Just great value.
- Relentless Dead : A great early drop, and late game it serves as a sac target + recursion.
- Shepherd of Rot : Yes it hits you, but this can be such a major threat.
- Undead Warchief : Cheaper zombies, and bigger zombies. All in one convenient package.
- Awaken the Erstwhile : Disruption, plain and simple. Sure it hurts your hand too, but you are the one with all the zombie based anthems.
- Victim of Night : Doomblade 2.0, but hits black creatures.
- Sidisi, Undead Vizier : You'll have so many tokens kicking around to exploit that she's just a straight tutor, and if she ever hits the graveyard just use her again with Scarab God.
- Fleshbag Marauder : Hurts them a lot more than you, and enter the battlefield abilities are great with Scarab around.
- Josu Vess, Lich Knight : Solid 4/5 Menace for 4, got the extra 6 mana though and he brings friends who also have menace.
- Wonder : Flying zombies... yep, that's scary.
- Pull from Tomorrow : Nice draw on an instant with the added benefit to pitch something for Scarab to target.
- Price of Fame : Legendary killer + Surveil 2... love it.
- Sinister Sabotage : Counterspell + Surveil... love it too.
- Paradox Haze : You've got a couple effects that trigger on upkeep, why not double up?
- The deck currently seems to be going in two directions, you have a large zombie theme which I love, but you also have a minor mill theme which seems out of place.
- Advanced Stitchwing : Slow for what it gives, even on the bounce back it comes back tapped.
- Apprentice Necromancer : This is one I'm on the fence suggesting, it's a one use for one turn only.
- Grimgrin, Corpse-Born : This guy is beast, but he works best in a deck build around him.
- Lamplighter of Selhoff : Slow, for his effect.
- Merciless Eternal : He's not bad, just a lot better things to include in the 3 cost bracket.
- Phenax, God of Deception : Love this guy, really do, but he's out of place here because he's a mill guy who loves big butts.
- Relentless Skaabs : This guy does everything you don't want as he hurts your graveyard in order to even hit play.
- Servant of Tymaret : Slow with high cost. In order to make the best use of him you have to be attacking, and if the way isn't clear that means a 3 mana tax just for 1 life on each opponent.
- Spiteful Returned : Don't hate it, but better things out there.
- Stitchwing Skaab : Suffers from the same as Advanced Stitchwing.
- Undead Alchemist : This guy can go either way, but the way I look at him is generally people have more cards in their decks than life, so it's easier to take out their life.
- Vindictive Lich : This guy is fun, though for his cost there is a lot more out there.
- Exotic Orchard : Risky unless you know your playgroup always has one of your colors, otherwise it's just a colorless and a swamp or island would be just as good.
- Leechridden Swamp : Slows you down for a minor effect.
- Path of Ancestry : Phenax is the only other god creature, so even if you keep him in it's very slow for the benefit it probably will never get the chance to give.
- Coat of Arms : I love this card, I really do, but it's a calculated risk and I find zombies are usually too slow of it. Run up against a goblin or elf deck and this will do more for your opponent.
- Mindcrank : This is another I'm on the fence with as it pairs really well with Scarab.
- Vanquisher's Banner : Good card, though you're not casting all those tokens so you're only getting a bit of a benefit from it.
- Liliana Vess : Good card, out of place in this deck unless you are going heavier into the mill.
- Ob Nixilis Reignited : Just completely out of place for zombie tribal.
- Glimpse the Unthinkable : One of those mill cards, it suffers as a one of.
- Rise from the Grave : Expensive for effect.
- Ruthless Disposal : This isn't bad in this deck, but compared to Morbid Slip for example it lacks that added shine.
- Curse of Disturbance : So much politics, this is VERY meta dependent as to if players fall for the bait.
- Quest for the Gravelord : This can work out, but more often then not stuff isn't dying fast enough or it just gets pinged with early removal.
- Search for Azcanta Flip: More at home in a non-creature strategy.
- Torment of Scarabs : Most people can play around this with not too much fuss, and it gives all the choice to them. I'd prefer some targeted removal.
6 months ago
Mostly, I'm confused about what you're planning on getting with your Transmute cards. The best targets for a Yuriko deck at the 5 mana slot are Conspiracy and Xenograft, which are both in the Maybeboard. Same for Arcane Adaptation at the 3-drop slot.
I see stuff that makes creatures unblockable, but auras seem pretty bad with ninjas. Cover of Darkness is what I would use in a tribal deck, or you can just put in more unblockable cheap stuff like Slither Blade , Triton Shorestalker , etc. If you want to Surveil, then Nightveil Sprite is well-suited to both purposes. I also see Thalakos Seer in the Maybeboard, which is obscene with Yuriko, so I would maindeck that ASAP.
You're packing a lot of different card types, so Emrakul, the Promised End would be good in this deck. It's high CMC to burn the table with Yuriko, but you should be able to consistently cast it for 8 or less.
As for cuts, Rise from the Grave is pretty bad. You can Extract from Darkness , Necromantic Summons or Liliana, Death's Majesty for the same cost. I don't like Mirko Vosk, Etrata, Mind Grind, or Traitor's Clutch, either. The a graveyard subtheme makes sense, but mill cards don't.
6 months ago
I like Undying Evil for this kind of deck. Does great things with Gary, Tree of Perdition, etc. Also, since you can sac at instant speed, Mesmeric Fiend permanently exiles, since you can sac it in response to the ETB trigger, making it better than Kitesail Freebooter and other newer cards that have been worded to avoid that interaction. I agree that Grave Pact is a must-have. Some more ramp and card draw wouldn't hurt. I'm partial to Jet Medallion , Charcoal Diamond , Mind Stone , and Thought Vessel for rocks, and Syphon Mind is my favorite mono-black draw spell.
As for lands, Crypt of Agadeem would be good here. Phyrexian Tower just got reprinted. It's a bit pricey, but it is VERY good, and having been $60 just a few months ago with no likely reprint in the near future, pick it up now. Temple of the False God is a bad card, full stop. It is never correct to include it. Ever. That's not just me talking, but virtually every EDH content creator out there.
I'm not sure how you feel about the budget issue with Mikaeus, the Unhallowed , but it would be a very good addition, even before taking the combo with Walking Ballista or Triskelion into account. It's a solid addition to a black deck, and there are some affordable tutors that can get both pieces like Beseech the Queen , Diabolic Intent (on theme, so maybe add it regardless), Sidisi, Undead Vizier (also on theme!), and Netherborn Phalanx .
As for reanimation, Rise from the Grave is pretty inefficient, and upgrading to Animate Dead , Victimize (on theme!), Dread Return (apparently there's a lot of sac'ing in black, who knew?), Sepulchral Primordial (great with repeatable ETB effects), Rise of the Dark Realms (expensive, but a black staple in EDH), Necromancy , Thrilling Encore (great if you can sac with Dictate of Erebos or Grave Pact ), Ever After (one more mana for twice the value), Whisper, Blood Liturgist , Champion of Stray Souls (so much sac'ing), Hell's Caretaker (again, so much sac'ing), Ink-Eyes, Servant of Oni , Rescue from the Underworld (on-theme), Infernal Offering (sac!), Necromantic Summons (strictly better than Rise), Zombify , and Footsteps of the Goryo (...sac).
6 months ago
Undying doesn't change the first ability of Treacherous Pit-Dweller based on whether or not there's a counter. It just means that if TPD has no +1/+1 counters on it when it dies, it comes back from the graveyard.
As mentioned, if it enters the battlefield from the graveyard at all, an opponent will gain control of it. It doesn't matter how it got to the battlefield from the graveyard. This could be due to its own Undying trigger, or somehow being given Unearth or a similar ability. It could also be due to things like Reanimate , Rise from the Grave , Grave Betrayal , Necromantic Selection , Liliana, Death's Majesty (second ability), and so on. It's worth noting that some of these (Grave Betrayal, Necromantic Selection) could be used by your opponents to steal TPD from your graveyard. If they do, it enters under their control, but then the control-switching effect triggers and they have to hand it off to one of their opponents.
Rise from the Grave occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%