|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Duel Decks: Izzet vs. Golgari (DDJ)||Common|
|Masters Edition III (ME3)||Common|
|Ravnica: City of Guilds (RAV)||Common|
|The Dark (DRK)||Uncommon|
|Promo Set (000)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Elves of Deep Shadow
Creature — Elf Druid
: Add to your mana pool. Elves of Deep Shadow deals 1 damage to you.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Elves of Deep Shadow Discussion
4 days ago
- Golgari Keyrune
- Golgari Signet
- Sol Ring
- Fellwar Stone
- Darksteel Ingot
- Chromatic Lantern
- Ashnod's Altar
- Kodama's Reach
- Farhaven Elf
- Wood Elves
- Syphon Mind
- Dark Deal
- Sadistic Hypnotist
- Geier Reach Sanitarium
- Cunning Lethemancer
- Death Cloud
- Driven / Despair
- Hymn to Tourach
- Ill-Gotten Gains
- Capital Punishment
- Creeping Dread
- Liliana Vess
- Deathreap Ritual
- Lifecrafter's Bestiary
- Night's Whisper
- Shamanic Revelation
- Geth's Grimoire
- Waste Not
- Elvish Visionary
1 week ago
Thanks for posting on / upvoting my Meren primer, really glad you liked it :) Just following up with you to see if there are a few ideas I can help with - trying to stay in tune with your current deck flavor, and keep all the suggestions pretty cheap :)
- Acidic Slime - How often do you find you target lands with him? I always thought he was a little steep for the effect, and something like Sylvok Replica did 95% of the job for 60% of the cost
- What's your experience with the "pump" creatures like Bloodthrone Vampire, Lotleth Troll, etc.? I find that even with recursion engines, it's hard to have enough cards to actually feed them well enough... maybe it would be more useful to use these slots for more utility creatures (removal, ramp, etc.) and then....
- ...look at something like Beastmaster Ascension to go alongside Dance of Shadows! Seems like your wincon is a big alpha strike with creatures, so this might be a great alternative/addition. Note that Beastmaster Ascension gets the counters upon declaring attacks, so if you swing with seven creatures in one combat, they will all get +5/+5 that combat.
- Focusing on strong wincons like that would also let you turn Mortician Beetle into Elves of Deep Shadow (of course, I don't see many creatures in my playgroup so maybe I'm undervaluing that card)
- Scavenging Ooze sticks with your pump-to-win theme but adds some targeted graveyard hate
- To help speed up card draw - how about Fecundity? I assume you're playing more creatures than your opponents (and have recursion!) so this can help speed up the mid-game slog that usually happens in B/G. Foster is another option, but a little slower.
- Duskwatch Recruiter Flip - I have no experience with him, but maybe this would be a good place for him
- Manglehorn is just so good as removal, and to slow down your opponents
- From Beyond seems a bit slower than Awakening Zone in an opening hand for a similar effect
- Cryptolith Rite turns everything into Birds of Paradise!
- Maybe Bone Shredder over Nekrataal?
- What about something like Doomgape as a swing-in fatty over Scourge of Nel Toth? Both seem combat-focused, but Doomgape gains you life and is harder to block
- How often do you use Altar of Dementia? Would something like Ashnod's Altar be more useful? Probably comes down to whether you need ramp or card draw more at that stage of the game.
- Ghirapur Orrery might be interesting tech to play with, but depending on your playgroup it could go either way. Never used it personally but it seems like it could be fun
- Aluren is on the steep side of "budget" but would be SO GOOD HERE (assuming your opponents aren't heavy on the creatures too, it's symmetric!)
2 weeks ago
2 weeks ago
enpc, first of all thank you for your time and input!
There are four changes I would like to make to the deck, but I do not yet actually own the said cards.
Deathrite Shaman was in the deck for a while, but with the lack of fetch lands in my meta I ended up replacing him with Elves of Deep Shadow. If the situation changes I will definitely be slotting the shaman back in.
Sol Ring and Mana Vault were both in the original list. However, with the current build all of the fast combos are much more dependent on colored mana and they were subsequently cut for fast sources of colored mana. Mana Crypt still remains because it is simply too good. I've kicked around the idea of putting Sol Ring back in but I don't know what I would cut at this point as I do not want to reduce the sourced of colored mana.
I've considered a backup win condition, but I really like the 'put all my eggs in Lab-Man's basket' glass-cannon approach. I'm able to keep the list very tight and focused on making my Plan A happen as quickly as possible. The way the deck is built the only way to really take Laboratory Maniac from me is with face-down exile. And honestly, if someone pulls that off then in my opinion they deserve a win.
I like Birthing Pod, I'm just not sure it is right for this deck. This build tries to combo off and win so quickly that I think Birthing Pod ends up being a little too slow. With that being said, I do like the lines you mentioned and may end up testing it out in the upcoming weeks.
Mogis's Marauder seems interesting. I have been looking for another way to give Hermit Druid haste and I really like the fact that it is a creature as well. This is another suggestion I will probably end up trying out.
Thank you again for the ideas!
3 weeks ago
@ToolmasterOfBrainerd: I've tried out Arbor Elf before and I don't like that there are times when it doesn't do anything, particularly that it doesn't do anything when it's by itself. It also forces you to prioritize playing forests. If you're planning on adding another dork I would throw in an Elves of Deep Shadow instead.
3 weeks ago
Love it. Elves of Deep Shadow would give you more flavor and ramp, if you're looking for it. If you're looking for a way to cycle some cards in your graveyard back into your library for reuse, you might consider Gurzigost.
3 weeks ago
zephramtripp I considered Elves of Deep Shadow but them not producing green is a HUGE drawback that could potentially flat out lose me the game in some scenarios, however, I should try just playing one of them main-deck and see if it helps with fixing.
4 weeks ago
It looks like you might have trouble casting Shaman of the Pack reliably. Has that been an issue for you, or do you just mostly Chord or CoCo it in? You might consider Elves of Deep Shadow for better black mana, but I don't know if it really matters.