|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Guilds of Ravnica: Guild Kit (GK1)||Rare|
|Commander 2018 (C18)||Rare|
|Dragon's Maze (DGM)||Rare|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Gaze of Granite
Destroy each nonland permanent with converted mana cost X or less.
Gaze of Granite Discussion
1 week ago
Rome921 Thank you very much! There are many good cards I didn't know. I updated the deck with some of the recommendations you made (the changes are addressed in the update comment). Now, some questions arise:
I'll take out Gaze of Granite , but I'm not sure about the replacement. Maybe Tragic Slip , or Languish , or Retribution of the Ancients ? I considered Abrupt Decay , but I'd like to go be able to kill bigger threats (CMC wise, though I mentioned Tragic Slip 'cause I have one in my collection lol).
I'm not sure about the number of lands I'm running. Should I add more? Or if I cut some of the "fancy" lands like you said, which lands should I cut first? And what should be the replacements? I was thinking on adding Twilight Mire and Overgrown Tomb soon.
Thanks a lot!
1 week ago
- I love this commander and think you've got a great start and idea, but you need to fully commit to the fact that this deck is all about Skullbriar being huge and smashing face, or one of his friends doing it. .
- You should put in Increasing Savagery , Hardened Scales , Solidarity of Heroes , Reyhan, Last of the Abzan , Fungal Behemoth , Vastwood Hydra , Retreat to Kazandu , Predator Ooze , Blessings of Nature to push the +1/+1 theme to the max. .
- Now, 2nd problem is having big creatures without trample. I see Tuskguard Captain and you've got Rancor already, which is 100% awesome and reusable, but you should have 2 reusable trample activators, so I recommend also adding Ring of Kalonia . .
- Having big creatures attacking also is usually stopped by awkward blocks. You need slightly better cheap removal so I recommend Titanic Brawl , Ancient Animus , Abrupt Decay . .
- 3rd Problem is when they actually block and kill something because they have no other way to deal with it. Make them hate blocking by just having Mer-Ek Nightblade on your field. And then resummon stuff with Journey to Eternity Flip! .
- 4th Problem is when you're smashing for 17 trample damage a turn, but they've got some stupid elf-shaman combo or human-ally combo that gains them 20 life a turn. And now they're at 55 life. Awkward. Get a sneaky kill in instantly with Tainted Strike on one of your big trample guys, just make sure you were about to do 10+ normal damage, and surprise win. (please put Tainted Strike in, even if you ignore every other card I suggested) .
- 5th Problem is your life-total. Sometimes you just need your 12/12 to have lifelink. Best way is Loxodon Warhammer , plus it gives you another trample activator!! .
- Also for ramp you should include Incubation Druid and Rampant Growth . I'd also use hexproof enabling with Alpha Authority .
- I would definitely remove the following since they don't fit with your deck idea overall to make room: Elves of Deep Shadow (don't need), Longtusk Cub (it ain't ever gonna happen), Witchstalker (useless against a red/white/green deck), Gaze of Granite (since it kills your things too), Animation Module (its slow and you should have better things to do with your mana than make 1/1s), Cloak and Dagger (no rogues, it's slow, Alpha Authority is better), Golgari Signet should be replace with Golgari Cluestone so you can sac/draw when you don't need mana anymore. Manalith (you have an aggro curve, don't need THAT much ramp), Plague Boiler (you're not a control deck), Skullclamp (since we're taking out Animation Module , you've got enough good draw), Wayfarer's Bauble (Rampant Growth is better), Greater Good (you're aggro not a graveyard-based-conrol deck), Preferred Selection & Primitive Etchings (because again you're not control, you want to be aggro). .
- I would also cut down on the # of fancy lands that don't add b/g, and play a few more basics for fetching with your ramp cards and being able to play commander on turn 2 more likely.
4 weeks ago
Hey, DrukenReaps gave you good advice; keep it simple for your first Commander deck. Play one or two colors to start out :) Green Black is called Golgari and to get you started on your new Commander adventure with Golgari consider getting the Guilds of Ravnica Golgari Guild Kit? Scroll down the page to the Golgari one. This Kit is selling for $20 and has many good cards you can use in a Golgari Commander deck including three different legendary creatures to choose from for Commander.
Good cards in the Kit:
- Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord
- Savra, Queen of the Golgari
- Izoni, Thousand-Eyed
- Golgari Signet
- Deathrite Shaman
- Abrupt Decay
- Elves of Deep Shadow
- Grisly Salvage
- Lotleth Troll
- Deadbridge Chant
- Glowspore Shaman
- Stinkweed Imp
- Golgari Findbroker
- Shambling Shell
- Gaze of Granite
- Drown in Filth
- Golgari Charm
- Status / Statue
- Golgari Rot Farm
- 16x basic lands
The Guild Kits are in my opinion some of the best products Wizards has recently made. The value of the cards in the Kit is about $22.
I second both of dbpunk's suggestions as Commander options for you to choose from. Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord is included in the Golgari Guide kit and is a budget Commander option, good creature to give trample. The Gitrog Monster is a more expensive price option as a Commander. If you can afford Gitrog go with him because not only is he a big creature who has deathtouch, but he's also a good creature to give trample too and his abilities are a little more complex than Jarad, more fun to build around and later expand on. Jarad can be a card in the 100 card deck of Gitrog.
2 months ago
--Planeswalker: Nissa, Vital Force
Remove from deck:
Primeval Titan and Sylvan Primordial (both are edh illegal, I'll vote useable, but I'd double check with the group), Assassin's Trophy (nvr help your enemy), Solemn Simulacrum (this card's effects are too slow to be worth 4 mana imo), Moonlight Bargain , Hunting Wilds ,
3 months ago
Thanks for the suggestions. I am looking to get Doubling Season eventually - Parallel Lives and Primal Vigor are decent imitations for now. I hadn't considered Vraska, Golgari Queen. I have that one and Vraska, Relic Seeker, which would go well thematically. The others look like good additions too, but I'll need to hunt them down.
Say I do get those cards - which should get removed? New to Commander, especially constructing decks, so I'm not sure what should go. Would I sub Grave Pact for Dictate of Erebos since they do basically the same thing, only a little cheaper? Or remove something else so that I can double dip that effect? In Garruk's Wake for Gaze of Granite or something else to have 2 board wipe type spells?
4 months ago
Solid foundation for a Muldrotha deck especially on a budget but there is a lot of stuff in here that really could go.
There is some cheap stuff you could add to really improve things Acidic Slime Plaguecrafter Final Parting Living Death Wood Elves Oblivion Sower Noxious Gearhulk Disciple of Bolas Mulldrifter Shriekmaw Fleshbag Marauder Putrefy Solemn Simulacrum Jarad's Orders Ashnod's Altar tho its a little pricey Commander's Sphere Sunken Hollow Darkslick Shores Llanowar Wastes
Things you should cut immediately: Archeomancer Archetype of Endurance Body Double Brawn Golgari Findbroker Ixidron Mystic Snake Necrotic Ooze Nekrataal Nyx Weaver Pestilence Demon Phyrexian Devourer Torrent Elemental Triskelion Cancel Perpetual Timepiece
Things that should come out eventually
Eventually you will want to overhaul your landbase as well
8 months ago
Hello, Dickbutt McGee here.
This is all fine and good, but you have nothing to prevent other people from fucking you over. You'll need a bit of removal in case someone plays something that essentially reads "Michaela's deck doesn't work anymore."
^^^These are all solid ways to remove bullshit on other people's field that may be fucking you over.
Some cards that allow you to do graveyard bullshit:
Jarad's Orders: Search for something big and scary to put in the graveyard for you to later cheat onto the field, and search for something that is good utility like Solemn Simulacrum to put in your hand.
Grisly Salvage is also a great way to be filling your graveyard with bullshit to later cheat onto the field.
Liliana, Death's Majesty is great for both filling your graveyard with bullshit to cheat, and then she also helps you cheat it onto the field
Golgari Charm is just a solid card all around. It might not make the cut but it's good.
11 months ago
Gaze of Granite perfect way to build up counters and neutralize the opponent
Gaze of Granite occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.02%