|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Dark Ascension (DKA)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Ooze
Predator Ooze is indestructible.
Whenever Predator Ooze attacks, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
Whenever a creature dealt damage by Predator Ooze this turn dies, put a +1/+1 counter on Predator Ooze.
Predator Ooze Discussion
1 day ago
These are your best creatures: Evolution Sage, Hexdrinker, Huatli's Raptor, Managorger Hydra, Mistcutter Hydra, Tuskguard Captain. I suggest you increase most of those creatures to a full set (4x each) and cut the rest.
You currently have 69 cards included. That number should be reduced to 60. I suggest cutting all the Instants, Sorceries, and Enchantments except Pledge of Unity. If after all the cutting there is room left over, I've outlined a number of spells that will add dynamism and range both with the creatures above and with other spells below.
I believe good lands are more important than Planeswalkers. Llanowar Reborn and Oran-Rief, the Vastwood are perhaps valuable enough to consider. Sunpetal Grove , Canopy Vista , Temple of Plenty , Fortified Village , Temple Garden , Windswept Heath are all worth considering, depending on your budget. Swapping out your slow lands for those listed above will improve both speed and reliability.
My thoughts on +1/+1 counters decks: Hardened Scales is overkill, over-rated, and slow. It's a very powerful card that doesn't necessarily speed decks to a win. The best +1/+1 counter decks include only low CMC creatures that can repeatedly provide their own counters. Creatures, especially any that get really big, will get removed pretty consistently. So getting lots of creatures down and swinging quickly and consistently is essential. This is all, of course, just my 2 cents.
I'll point out that there are enough creatures and spells that it's very possible to build solid mono-white or mono-green +1/+1 creature decks. I actually think it's easier to build a solid deck staying mono-colored - it's possible to go mono-color tribal with Humans, Soldiers, Elves, Allies, Oozes etc. The advantage to going tribal is more than just synergy - it's also a handy framework to round out a deck with advantages while also keeping the deck focused. Going tribal also opens the door to Cavern of Souls and Unclaimed Territory . I'd go so far as to say there are so many really solid +1/+1 counter spells, one of the hardest things about building a deck is narrowing it down to a well-honed point. I'm not saying I think you need to go mono-colored and/or tribal here, just pointing out ways to help focus the deck.
1 week ago
Cards like this can help as while Predator Ooze or Temur Sabertooth these are cheap and Sabertooth saves it self and another creature this is assuming destroy and not exile or negative counters. You could save your green creatures with Hibernation or like people said cards like Counterspell or Swan Song as example but blue has tons that are cheaper in $$ that are commons.
1 month ago
Sandwurm Convergence would be useful late-game. Brooding Saurian might be a good utility piece. Homeward Path is better but $$. Verdurous Gearhulk maybe? Rhonas the Indomitable and Predator Ooze might make good blockers.
1 month ago
I'd definitely have Thrun in this deck but he's just a bit pricey. Not that bad though compared to a lot of expensive cards, about $7. What's your opinion on Asceticism (Which I have 2 of laying around), Dryad Sophisticate , Predator Ooze & Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger (Which I already have one)? Also, I cant believe I forgot about Dryad Militant. She's going to be great especially against storm.
2 months ago
- I love this commander and think you've got a great start and idea, but you need to fully commit to the fact that this deck is all about Skullbriar being huge and smashing face, or one of his friends doing it. .
- You should put in Increasing Savagery , Hardened Scales , Solidarity of Heroes , Reyhan, Last of the Abzan , Fungal Behemoth , Vastwood Hydra , Retreat to Kazandu , Predator Ooze , Blessings of Nature to push the +1/+1 theme to the max. .
- Now, 2nd problem is having big creatures without trample. I see Tuskguard Captain and you've got Rancor already, which is 100% awesome and reusable, but you should have 2 reusable trample activators, so I recommend also adding Ring of Kalonia . .
- Having big creatures attacking also is usually stopped by awkward blocks. You need slightly better cheap removal so I recommend Titanic Brawl , Ancient Animus , Abrupt Decay . .
- 3rd Problem is when they actually block and kill something because they have no other way to deal with it. Make them hate blocking by just having Mer-Ek Nightblade on your field. And then resummon stuff with Journey to Eternity Flip! .
- 4th Problem is when you're smashing for 17 trample damage a turn, but they've got some stupid elf-shaman combo or human-ally combo that gains them 20 life a turn. And now they're at 55 life. Awkward. Get a sneaky kill in instantly with Tainted Strike on one of your big trample guys, just make sure you were about to do 10+ normal damage, and surprise win. (please put Tainted Strike in, even if you ignore every other card I suggested) .
- 5th Problem is your life-total. Sometimes you just need your 12/12 to have lifelink. Best way is Loxodon Warhammer , plus it gives you another trample activator!! .
- Also for ramp you should include Incubation Druid and Rampant Growth . I'd also use hexproof enabling with Alpha Authority .
- I would definitely remove the following since they don't fit with your deck idea overall to make room: Elves of Deep Shadow (don't need), Longtusk Cub (it ain't ever gonna happen), Witchstalker (useless against a red/white/green deck), Gaze of Granite (since it kills your things too), Animation Module (its slow and you should have better things to do with your mana than make 1/1s), Cloak and Dagger (no rogues, it's slow, Alpha Authority is better), Golgari Signet should be replace with Golgari Cluestone so you can sac/draw when you don't need mana anymore. Manalith (you have an aggro curve, don't need THAT much ramp), Plague Boiler (you're not a control deck), Skullclamp (since we're taking out Animation Module , you've got enough good draw), Wayfarer's Bauble (Rampant Growth is better), Greater Good (you're aggro not a graveyard-based-conrol deck), Preferred Selection & Primitive Etchings (because again you're not control, you want to be aggro). .
- I would also cut down on the # of fancy lands that don't add b/g, and play a few more basics for fetching with your ramp cards and being able to play commander on turn 2 more likely.
4 months ago
vortexgrey thanks for all the suggestions, sadly I havent had a chance to play much with this deck lately but I will definitely play around with Kiora, Master of the Depths as well as Fertile Ground . Burning-Tree Emissary can be clunky but is does add a lot of explosive potential and if nothing else gives us essentially free 2 devotion. That being said, usually if we lose game one that is what we end up taking out to be able to side in what we need.
4 months ago
Predator Ooze might serve some purpose, idk
4 months ago
Do you want more things to boost your devotion? If you do, Leatherback Baloth , Predator Ooze , Steel Leaf Champion Gigantosaurus , Primalcrux , and Khalni Hydra are great cards to boost it up! If you go this route, Aspect of Hydra would be a solid instant. Bellowing Tanglewurm also feels right at home in a good mono-green deck :)
Predator Ooze occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.0%