|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Dark Ascension (DKA)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Ooze
Predator Ooze is indestructible.
Whenever Predator Ooze attacks, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
Whenever a creature dealt damage by Predator Ooze this turn dies, put a +1/+1 counter on Predator Ooze.
Predator Ooze Discussion
1 week ago
- I love this commander and think you've got a great start and idea, but you need to fully commit to the fact that this deck is all about Skullbriar being huge and smashing face, or one of his friends doing it. .
- You should put in Increasing Savagery , Hardened Scales , Solidarity of Heroes , Reyhan, Last of the Abzan , Fungal Behemoth , Vastwood Hydra , Retreat to Kazandu , Predator Ooze , Blessings of Nature to push the +1/+1 theme to the max. .
- Now, 2nd problem is having big creatures without trample. I see Tuskguard Captain and you've got Rancor already, which is 100% awesome and reusable, but you should have 2 reusable trample activators, so I recommend also adding Ring of Kalonia . .
- Having big creatures attacking also is usually stopped by awkward blocks. You need slightly better cheap removal so I recommend Titanic Brawl , Ancient Animus , Abrupt Decay . .
- 3rd Problem is when they actually block and kill something because they have no other way to deal with it. Make them hate blocking by just having Mer-Ek Nightblade on your field. And then resummon stuff with Journey to Eternity Flip! .
- 4th Problem is when you're smashing for 17 trample damage a turn, but they've got some stupid elf-shaman combo or human-ally combo that gains them 20 life a turn. And now they're at 55 life. Awkward. Get a sneaky kill in instantly with Tainted Strike on one of your big trample guys, just make sure you were about to do 10+ normal damage, and surprise win. (please put Tainted Strike in, even if you ignore every other card I suggested) .
- 5th Problem is your life-total. Sometimes you just need your 12/12 to have lifelink. Best way is Loxodon Warhammer , plus it gives you another trample activator!! .
- Also for ramp you should include Incubation Druid and Rampant Growth . I'd also use hexproof enabling with Alpha Authority .
- I would definitely remove the following since they don't fit with your deck idea overall to make room: Elves of Deep Shadow (don't need), Longtusk Cub (it ain't ever gonna happen), Witchstalker (useless against a red/white/green deck), Gaze of Granite (since it kills your things too), Animation Module (its slow and you should have better things to do with your mana than make 1/1s), Cloak and Dagger (no rogues, it's slow, Alpha Authority is better), Golgari Signet should be replace with Golgari Cluestone so you can sac/draw when you don't need mana anymore. Manalith (you have an aggro curve, don't need THAT much ramp), Plague Boiler (you're not a control deck), Skullclamp (since we're taking out Animation Module , you've got enough good draw), Wayfarer's Bauble (Rampant Growth is better), Greater Good (you're aggro not a graveyard-based-conrol deck), Preferred Selection & Primitive Etchings (because again you're not control, you want to be aggro). .
- I would also cut down on the # of fancy lands that don't add b/g, and play a few more basics for fetching with your ramp cards and being able to play commander on turn 2 more likely.
2 months ago
vortexgrey thanks for all the suggestions, sadly I havent had a chance to play much with this deck lately but I will definitely play around with Kiora, Master of the Depths as well as Fertile Ground . Burning-Tree Emissary can be clunky but is does add a lot of explosive potential and if nothing else gives us essentially free 2 devotion. That being said, usually if we lose game one that is what we end up taking out to be able to side in what we need.
2 months ago
Predator Ooze might serve some purpose, idk
2 months ago
Do you want more things to boost your devotion? If you do, Leatherback Baloth , Predator Ooze , Steel Leaf Champion Gigantosaurus , Primalcrux , and Khalni Hydra are great cards to boost it up! If you go this route, Aspect of Hydra would be a solid instant. Bellowing Tanglewurm also feels right at home in a good mono-green deck :)
3 months ago
squonk76 Oh yes! Put in a couple of Experiment One, Hardened Scales, Scavenging Ooze, Corpsejack Menace, Winding Constrictor together with the real MVP Predator Ooze and some Rancors and you have excellent Ooze deck ready to play! Some removal might be necessary as well :P Let's hope Simic invents some new eeze in the next set!
4 months ago
Love this deck... Thantis was a really cool card and I think this type of deck is the best way to play him.
4 months ago
Well "good" is a subjective term more so than an objective one, despite what most people would assume. For example, Gifted Aetherborn, I think we can all agree is a fantastic card and it saw tons and tons of play. Meanwhile, for additional cost, Vampire Nighthawk adds on Flying, and she sees next to no play outside of Commander. Evident by the fact she is literally 1/4th of the price - meaning she has 1/4th of the demand.
I would argue that for , that Flying is well worth it and this makes her a GREAT card, despite what the general community suggests. Even if people AGREE she's a good card, that doesn't change the fact she is seldom run in anything.
The same could be said about something like Steel Leaf Champion who for the same exact CMC and colors is strictly better than Leatherback Baloth, both of whom are not nearly as powerful as the same CMC and colors of Predator Ooze.
Likewise, Lava Spike is strictly worse than Lightning Bolt as you can not target as wide of a scale of threats. Midrange decks won't touch Lava Spike because it is not flexible enough for the boardstate. Burn decks who aim to win by T4 will thrive with 4x Lava Spike on top of 4x Lightning Bolt because it doubles your resources to win the game as fast as possible.
So, really "good" becomes just as subjective of a term as it is objective. It depends on not only the deck / meta / format you wish to play in, but also what it brings to the table (Literally) when compared to other cards of the same power level or casting cost.
Having said all of this, a card I truly admire and hold close to my heart is Savage Beating. As an aggro-midrange Timmy, I LOVE the idea of getting extra combat phases and dealing tons and tons of damage. Breaking through with an indomitable force always makes me giggle with glee. But the casting cost + entwine is a hard bargain. So I'll give it a push to help it out.
Play Savage Beating only during combat and only before attackers are declared.
- Creatures you control gain double strike until end of turn.
- After this phase, untap all creatures you control. They gain haste. There is an additional combat phase.
Entwine: Sacrifice three mountains.
What this does is it allows the full potential of the card to blow up two turns earlier by sacrificing three lands you tapped for it's cost. If you can manage to blow out on T5, it's well worth the cost. It turns it from a late-game Timmy card to a mid-game Johnny card and I feel like this is sufficient enough to meet the challenge's requirements.
Same challenge. Take a good card and push it to become better.
4 months ago
MurrSheep I too run a Rakdos Minotaur deck that features Mogis. For a bit I also included Angrath, for the memes. I eventually took him out as he actually slowed down the aggression of the deck.
Minotaur are still my #1 favorite Tribe in all of MTG, with Dragons and Knights at #2, and Warriors (Though they are kind of lackluster), Zombies, and Vampires at #3.
Tribal decks are my favorite archetype to build. I absolutely love the challenge of finding the right cards to make it as solid as possible. I have so many different Tribal decks right now, lol. I actually just bought a Simic Ooze "Tribal" where I play Predator Ooze and Scavenging Ooze and Clone them with Clone, Vizier of Many Faces and Helm of the Host. I also run in there 2-3 Darksteel Juggernaut as added aggression while I build my ranks. I tell you, Helm on Juggernaut is a match made in Heaven <3
On that note, to help out Neheb, the Eternal:
Nar-Ra, Spear of Passion and Rage
Legendary Artifact - Equipment
Equipped creature has haste and first strike.
, : Nar-Ra, Spear of Passion and Rage deals X damage to any target. Activate this only if it is equipped on a creature.
There are few worthy enough to brandish a weapon of the gods for fear of it being used against them. However, in rare exceptions, that fear is well worth the risk.
El-Nar being Egyptian for "Fire", "Hot", "Flame", etc. And Ra being their God of the Sun and such :)
Same challenge: Make a Legendary card of any type that has good synergy for one of your favorite Legendary Creatures.
Predator Ooze occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.0%