|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander (2016 Edition)||Mythic Rare|
|Dragon's Maze||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
- Can flickering a card with echo avoid echo?
- Will a Pack Rat token made by a rat brought back by a whip of erebos have haste?
- Can Progenitor Mimic be a land generator?
- Progenitor mimic will become a land if copying an animated land, correct?
- Can I choose to copy Clone by Progenitor Mimic to get infinite cloning?
Creature — Shapeshifter
You may have Progenitor Mimic enter the battlefield as a copy of any creature on the battlefield except it gains "At the beginning of your upkeep, if this creature isn't a token, create a token that's a copy of this creature."
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Progenitor Mimic Discussion
1 day ago
I would recommend cards like Progenitor Mimic as they gain constant value.
2 days ago
This seems like it would be solid as a minor theme in a deck that focuses mainly around clones.
Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs, Edric, Spymaster of Trest, Jori En, Ruin Diver, Kraum, Ludevic's Opus, Baral, Chief of Compliance and Rayne, Academy Chancellor, Thassa, God of the Sea, Kydele, Chosen of Kruphix all provide good effects that can get out of hand fast if they trigger multiple times. Kazuul is even funnier, because with even two of them you can look at making an army of 3/3s every time you're attacked.
Body Double, Clever Impersonator, Clone, Dack's Duplicate, Gigantoplasm, Mercurial Pretender, Phantasmal Image, Phyrexian Metamorph, Stunt Double, Progenitor Mimic, Sakashima the Impostor, Cackling Counterpart, Fated Infatuation, Supplant Form, Rite of Replication, Spitting Image, and Tempt with Reflections are all solid clones or clone effects. Feldon of the Third Path certainly wouldn't hurt either.
Finally, for when the legends just can't stick or you need other effects, sliding in good creatures that have useful ETB or static effects are useful. Acidic Slime, Reclamation Sage, Archaeomancer, Goblin Electromancer, Consecrated Sphinx, Elvish Visionary, Horizon Chimera and the like will all be quite useful.
Multiple Starke of Rath allows you to use one to kill a creature then use a second to kill the first. Very very conditional removal, but it would be pretty funny to use.
And, of course, like Eiti3 said, using cards like Transmute Artifact, Fabricate, Reshape, or Whir of Invention will allow you to get Mirror Gallery more consistently, though unless you go very hard on copying just Legends it shouldn't matter too much. I wouldn't recommend doing that, either, as anyone taking out Mirror Gallery could easily wipe most of your board.
1 week ago
Also Fated Infatuation for their endstep to make the 4th
3 weeks ago
I also recommend Avenger of Zendikar since it creates a shitload of experience.
Triskelion for the sneaky kills, Progenitor Mimic to get some more value from things like Triskelion and Avenger of Zendikar. My friend runs Meren of Clan Nel Toth and everytime I copy her its awesome.
Don't know if it's banned on where you play, but Prophet of Kruphix is a nice card on this deck.
Also, since this deck runs a lot of creatures I recommend Momir Vig, Simic Visionary, the more dual colored creatures the better.
If you want to look for more check mine elf version of this deck :) Ezuri UG There are some expensive cards like Gaea's Cradle that I got from my brother, but the deck itself isn't that expensive (aside from cradle)
1 month ago
That is not correct. It may affect Zada when she is attacking (because she's the only creature you have attacking), but it does so without targeting Zada.
This is important, as Zada's triggered ability explicitly requires the spell to have a single target, and that target to be Zada. Gorilla War Cry satisfies neither of those requirements.
To have a target (as per Zada's triggered ability), the spell must literally say 'target'. GWC does not contain that word, therefore it does not target. Some spells can affect a single permanent or player without targeting anything, like Dromoka's Gift, as the rules for Bolster simply says 'choose a creature' - if Dromoka's Gift was a red spell, in a Zada deck, then if you cast it and were able to choose Zada to bolster, you would not copy the spell and bolster all of your creatures.
This is also how a Progenitor Mimic can enter the battlefield as a copy of Inkwell Leviathan even though Inkwell Leviathan has Shroud and so can't be the target of spells or abilities. Progenitor Mimic chooses a creature, and does not target it, therefore it can choose the IL, and Shroud does not prevent that.
Another example, a player (A) has Aegis of the Gods in play, and another player (B) has Saskia the Unyielding enter the battlefield - player B is free to choose player A for Saskia, since player A's hexproof does not prevent Saskia choosing him, as choosing is not targeting.
It's one of the quirks of the way targeting, hexproof, and shroud works. But back to my original point - Gorilla War Cry does not target anything, ergo it does not trigger Zada's ability, ergo you draw a single card.
1 month ago
Cards I'm not playing
Cards I want but cost money
- Survival of the Fittest would be sick. Like a Fauna Shaman with Haste!
- Gaea's Cradle should be in every green deck, and also should have never been printed
Imperial Recruiter finds like half my deck.
- Mana Drain sounds like something that's worth holding up two mana for
- Rhystic Study is a great early play. It's not ramp, but it slows your opponents down, so it kinda is.
Good cards that I've cut for better ones
- Progenitor Mimic has been in and out of the deck a lot. I've found that Duplicant is usually better, since it's actually removal as well as a clone, at the same cmc.
- Mimic Vat is strong, but not really on theme with the deck and didn't really fit anywhere once I broke the deck down into categories
- Hull Breach is good enough that I'll probably end up playing it at some later point in time. 4 kills for 4 mana with Riku out.
- Terastodon got cut for a Natural Order package. Ironically, the two would go really well together, but I've found that Avenger of Zendikar is good enough off of Natural Order.
- Body Double was nice, since it's a clone that even worked on an empty board, and could also be Podded into to create two four drops to pull off a Kiki-Conscripts combo the next turn. It's not in the deck anymore because I needed to cut something and I figured there was a reason why Rise From the Grave wasn't seeing play.
- Archaeomancer was great as another way to pull off infinite turns, but it's enough worse than Eternal Witness that it got the ax in the process of streamlining the deck.
- Tolaria West is out because it's a tapland and none of my other lands are good enough that they're worth paying 3 mana for.
- Strionic Resonator I've found to be a bit win-more, but it's still better than Parallel Lives because it doesn't just work with Riku
- Sphinx of Uthuun would be played if I could Natural Order into it, but feels a lot weaker than my other curve-toppers when I'm paying full price for it
- Deceiver Exarch/Pestermite were cut because I found I could make infinite creatures with Kiki-Jiki often enough with just Conscripts in the deck, and they're a lot worse on their own.
- Holistic Wisdom as with a number of these cards, I've found that with this many tutors, it's better to have a more streamlined deck with diversified answers than duplication of effects. I can tutor for Eternal Witness, but not for this.
- Palinchron was given up in a trade for a Snapcaster Mage, and, honestly, I don't miss it. It does make infinite mana and infinite Palinchrons with Riku and 9 starting mana, but with the deck in its current configuration, I can combo off earlier and equally consistently anyway.
- Comet Storm was there just in case I wanted to kill in one turn with infinite mana, but I've found that's not worth a card slot once the deck as a whole got better.
- Strip Mine is of better use in my Xenagos land destruction deck. Also, this deck is better off laying down threats than answering them, and would rather have a mana base that just lets us cast all of our spells when we want to.
- Brainstorm was in when I had more fetches, but it's not as good now that the fetches are in Modern decks.*Recurring Insight draws a hell of a lot of cards, but also makes you tap a lot of mana without putting something on board. Card draw is good when you're behind because it lets you find something to bring the game back, but when you're behind and tap out to draw cards, your opponents kill you before you get to cast them.
Bad cards that I'm not playing
- Doubling Season, Parallel Lives, and Second Harvest are win-more. That is, they're do-nothing cards unless you're already winning, and thus end up losing you games when they just sit in your hand. Maybe they don't actually do nothing, but in the majority of games, you'd have been better off playing a creature of the same converted mana cost.
- Time Stretch, Blatant Thievery, Clone Legion, Genesis Wave and the like are generally not what we're trying to do here. Sure, it's sweet if you pull off copying it, but you win if you copy enough cheaper spells anyway (as I've said, we're usually not losing after a copied Time Warp. We don't need Time Stretch). These are good control finishers, but Riku is a midrange/combo general.
- Signets are worse than Farseek and friends because they're easier to remove. Green doesn't need signets.
- Reiterate and the like: Riku already does this. They're not needed. Also, since they're so mana intensive, you tend to have hands with all Forks and no real spells to copy, since you cast all your other spells before you had mana available to Reverberate a spell.
Pour one out
1 month ago
blackhawk22, I was thinking Pulsemage Advocate as a recursion spell- for bringing back your high-priority targets (things your opponents are going to remove as soon as they're able, such as Progenitor Mimic Avenger of Zendikar Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur etc.). I can see how the gods aren't your best choices. I recommended Lurking Predators because of the fact you have a ton of high cost creatures, but further than that- at the very least you're semi-scrying each turn, right?
1 month ago
Some cards to consider, off of similar buildsBlunt the Assault, Treacherous Terrain, Manifold Insights, Ghirapur Orrery, Wild Evocation, Rite of the Raging Storm, Lurking Predators, Fevered Visions (This one is awesome), Helix Pinnacle would give you another win-condition, Pulsemage Advocate, Azor's Elocutors w/ Progenitor Mimic would be another win-con