|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2016 (C16)||Mythic Rare|
|Dragon's Maze (DGM)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
- Can flickering a card with echo avoid echo?
- Will a Pack Rat token made by a rat brought back by a whip of erebos have haste?
- Can Progenitor Mimic be a land generator?
- Progenitor mimic will become a land if copying an animated land, correct?
- Can I choose to copy Clone by Progenitor Mimic to get infinite cloning?
Creature — Shapeshifter
You may have Progenitor Mimic enter the battlefield as a copy of any creature on the battlefield except it gains "At the beginning of your upkeep, if this creature isn't a token, create a token that's a copy of this creature."
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (37)||rebelteddybear , Fiolek , gildan_bladeborn , Pelli , TheRealPeaches , Riku580 , Psycheretic , Fineontheoutside , Dimarx , Forkbeard , Mortiferus_Rosa , redlegs_17 , ZombieFood , Lindough , KipIsKosher , Auriel , MonoRedBomb.Com , MrCrazzyc , Regulus1010 , Famicomania , cryptoplasm , MagnaAura , bakunet , Vasbear1 , killstars , Skulldrey , , rhinoloupe , Metaphisyk , mziter501 , mlouden03 , itheoryz , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , ShishkyBob , Cazaz0816 , , TheRealSpecialK|
|Want (35)||jamin , PatCouturier , hammythepig , obitus , Blue_Otaku_No.1 , VosslerX , Drael , kisPocok , epic-jargon , CoolBeansBrattah , Betamind , Talistan , ASCLEPIUS , AlphaSp , cubandoc , fireborne1986 , Gryffix , nopopon , SkipYourDrawStep , Xadoo , MagnaAura , Statharas , nnolin , Gatherix , linejumpr , kvfd1719 , Feyd-Rautha , DeifiedExile , Riders_of_Brohan , jp262 , yerfdog1935 , aramlet , mlouden03 , XxCataclysmiCxX , Duct-Tape-Guardian|
Progenitor Mimic Discussion
2 days ago
Biggest issue I see here is a lack of focus and not enough creatures for a creatures only matter deck.
Animar, Soul of Elements wants two main things: Cast creatures and get +1/+1 counters to cast larger creatures. Everything in the deck should be focused on those two goals.
Setting up the deck to achieve this purpose will make it efficient and powerful. All cards should therefore do one of the following:
- Ramp up to Animar.
- Protect Animar.
- Place counters on Animar.
- Cast game ending creatures for cheap or free.
- Draw cards to allow us to do 1 through 4.
Priority should be given to cards that does something now > does something before your next turn > does something on your next turn > does something eventually.
Because Animar offers a discount based on creatures played, the deck shouldn't be filled with only high cmc game enders, but creatures from low to high cmc, preferably with as little colored mana symbols as possible, to give the deck a natural progression to casting free or cheap high cmc game ending creatures.
Let's split the deck into 3 parts. Pre-Animar setup, Post-Animar setup, Finale.
Note that $: (0 to 0.99), $$: (1.00 to 4.99), $$$: (5.00 to 9.99), $$$$: (10.00 to 19.99), !$!: (20.00+)
Unnecessary on a computer, very helpful on a phone.
- Exotic Orchard is pretty good and cheap and can usually offer every color in multiplayer, especially if an opponent has a Command Tower out or even a Vivid Grove without even needing charge counters. - Kazoo lands such as Simic Growth Chamber, Izzet Boilerworks, and Gruul Turf are good in casual EDH where there is lack of land destruction and they artifically increase your deck ammount by posing as two lands in one. Though overall you do not want too many tap lands as you'll constantly be a entire turn behind.
- Zhur-Taa Druid creature ramp & burn. $
- Bloom Tender creature ramp. !$!
- Coiling Oracle ramp or card draw. $
- Cyclonic Rift removal or 1-sided board wipe. $$$$
- Explore ramp and card Draw. $
- Sakura-Tribe Elder creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Sylvan Caryatid creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Beastcaller Savant creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Kiora's Follower creature ramp or vigilance on a stick. $
- Rattleclaw Mystic creature ramp and color fix. $
- Walking Atlas potentially free creature ramp. $
- Simic Charm so versatile. $
- Lightning Greaves Protection and quick haste for a large creature. $$
- Spellskite For those , & removals. $$$
- Ring of Kalonia Ramp every turn and makes Animar a lot more threatening. $
- Sage of Fables Emergency card draw. $$
- Pestermite Vigilance, chump blocker vs flying or stopping a giant creature. $
- Guided Passage One of the best card draw and pick your poison spells ever. $$
- Pir, Imaginative Rascal A creature hardened scales and specific tutor. $$
- Cloudstone Curio An auto include if you can afford it. $$$$
- Temur Ascendancy Makes all your casted creatures threatening and some card draw. $
- Phyrexian Metamorph Costs 2 life and can do so much for you. $$$
- Solemn Simulacrum Free ramp, chump blocker and card draw. $$
- Faerie Artisans It doesn't look like much, this is card can get crazy. $$
- Toothy, Imaginary Friend A growing monstrocity that explodes into cards. $$
- Silent Arbiter Protection against swarm decks. $$
- Xenagos, God of Revels Game ender. $$
- Vesuvan Shapeshifter On your upkeep, you may pay to clone the biggest and baddest mofo on the field. $
- Deepglow Skate Potential huge ramp for just . $$$
- Progenitor Mimic Very dangerous to copy one of the heavy hitters in this deck. $$
- Consecrated Sphinx All the card draw. $$$
- Deadwood Treefolk Repeatable creature recusion. $
- Steel Hellkite Situational, but very deadily against token decks. $
- Great Oak Guardian Great, quick surprise block when tapped out. $
- Pathbreaker Ibex Quick, game ender. $$
- Thunderfoot Baloth Setup for getting past defenses. $$
- Scourge of the Throne Depending on the situation, can be deadly. !$!
3 weeks ago
3 weeks ago
That is a silly question, it is like asking if there is a way to win with any deck :P
The answer is of course. Many of them use a combo like making everyone draw 1000 cards which usually works rather well since they already make you draw extra.
I've also seen a 5-color Nekusar, the Mindrazer which depending on what you draw and how you play comes off as a hug deck until you drop the nasty things you usually see with him.
Edric, Spymaster of Trest is technically a group hugger since he allows everyone to get lots of extra cards but most people run a lot of unblockable guys with him and I see people get chewed apart by Slither Blades.
Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis may be the most common group hugger. If you go to his EDHRec page you will see things like Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs, Progenitor Mimic, Chasm Skulker, Selfless Squire, Omnath, Locus of Rage, and Psychosis Crawler. All of those can bring you closer to a win.
Often group hug is about giving everyone stuff until you are set to either combo or clean up the left overs with something big and nasty.
1 month ago
Some suggestions to consider: take out Manalith, Opaline Unicorn, Embodiment of Spring, and Gruul Keyrune, replace with Gruul Signet, Simic Signet, and Izzet Signet, and Sol Ring. For flying, Wonder provides a similar effect to Archetype of Imagination, and is a little harder to deal with. You will want to add more lands to this deck in order to cast your big creatures on time. I would say 35-38 lands, and cut some of your sorceries for ramp spells like Rampant Growth, Farseek,Cultivate, Kodama's Reach, Explosive Vegetation, or Skyshroud Claim. Thassa, God of the Sea is a more reliable way to make creatures unblockable than Invisibility or Way of the Thief. I always include a copy of Decimate in any deck that can play it. The same goes for Cyclonic Rift and Chaos Warp. Lastly, a few creatures that you could upgrade your deck with: Sakura-Tribe Elder, Joraga Treespeaker, Sylvan Caryatid, Courser of Kruphix, Genesis, Avenger of Zendikar, Prime Speaker Zegana, and Progenitor Mimic.
1 month ago
1 month ago
I like it! Perhaps Lazav, Dimir Mastermind in the 99?
Also since you are already running Progenitor Mimic consider Gray Merchant of Asphodel / Kokusho, the Evening Star. I have won a few games via pairing them and protecting them with counter magic. The AoE drain pads your life total while it slowly melts the table away,
1 month ago
1 month ago
Ahh yeah Gody322 those are some excellent additions. I have such a hard time straying from mono green, but if I ever do Progenitor Mimic and Vorel of the Hull Clade will definitely be some cards I include. Thanks again