|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Battle for Zendikar (BFZ)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
, Sacrifice a creature: You gain 1 life and draw a card.
Vampiric Rites Discussion
4 days ago
Ayara also provides another target for Thornbite Staff .
I agree with Hi_diddly_ho_neighbor in regards to cutting the anthem effects, and in their place you should probably add in some card draw options. Greed is always a good one, and Arguel's Blood Fast Flip isn't bad. Thallid Soothsayer gives you another sac outlet/draw option, as does Vampiric Rites .
3 weeks ago
Shirei, Shizo's Caretaker , Oketra the True , Bontu the Glorified , Lingering Souls are other cards that come to mind. Dread Return , Phyrexian Delver and Sorin, Vengeful Bloodlord stand out to me as superior choices to Hell's Caretaker and Whisper, Blood Liturgist . Buried Alive is a strong reanimator support card. You probably could utilize the Karmic Guide + Reveillark combo. Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim , Carrion Feeder , Viscera Seer , Killing Wave , Culling Dais , Vampiric Rites , Fanatical Devotion and Martyr's Cause are great ways to kill of your own creatures. Butcher of Malakir and Martyr's Bond would work great in this deck.
1 month ago
Looks good so far. You might like these: Reassembling Skeleton , Aetherworks Marvel , Black Market , Pawn of Ulamog , Pitiless Plunderer , Vampiric Rites , Smothering Abomination , Ayara, First of Locthwain , Sengir Autocrat , Abhorrent Overlord , Desecrated Tomb , Whisper, Blood Liturgist , Hell's Caretaker , Syphon Mind , Myojin of Night's Reach
1 month ago
1 month ago
Terramorphic Expanse will act as a second evolving wilds in the deck which will be another card draw and counter on your commander.
Spawning Pit is a free sac outlet to toss your creatures to that can even produce some tokens.
1 month ago
Akroan Horse seems...like it could be something better. Cards like Verdant Force and Tendershoot Dryad would do better, and Verdant Embrace enchants another creature to do the same. Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder is another one that could probably benefit from your current build, since you're running a lot of creatures. Kher Keep could be a fun land for you to run.
Evolutionary Leap would be a good sac outlet for you to run, and you could probably use a few more. Viscera Seer should be in the main deck. Izoni, Thousand-Eyed could produce you tokens under the right circumstance, and also provides sac and card draw. Krav, the Unredeemed works similarly to your other devour creatures, and will draw you double cards with Korvold on the battlefield. Vampiric Rites is another sac and draw outlet.
Other cuts I'd recommend: Ramunap Excavator and Crucible of Worlds (better for lands-matters themes), Chancellor of the Forge (high CMC, and to boot is tough to cast), and possibly Breeding Pit (tying up each turn might prove to be a pain in the ass).
Hope that helps!
1 month ago
WUBRG87 Last thing I'd want is to sculpt your deck into something that doesn't feel like yours(!) - I love EDH's lack of homogeneity. Happy to give you my 2 cents with the direction I'd be thinking of from here though and with not too bad of a budget...
More of a sacrifice direction that isn't 'aristocrats'; add another altar ( Phyrexian Altar or Altar of Dementia ), maybe switch Dark Ritual for Culling the Weak - then you would have a good level of sac outlets to have some heavy hitters like Gray Merchant of Asphodel and Kokusho, the Evening Star replace Noble/Zula/Buccaneer. It's a bit contradictory adding sac outlets and removing aristocrats I know but I think the aristocrats make better use of volume (like tokens) and our boy Chainer is better off packing more value into a big recur-able punch.
If it were me, I'd be thinking:
- Falkenrath Noble
- Zulaport Cutthroat
- Glint-Horn Buccaneer
- Charmbreaker Devils
- Corpse Augur (switch for Disciple as another sac outlet)
- Scheming Symmetry (switch for Intent)
- Dark Ritual (switch for CtW)
- Burning Vengeance (Warstorm Surge and Flayer do it better, or drop Warstorm if you wanted to lower the overall CMC)
- 1 of Vampiric Rites , Cathartic Reunion or Underworld Connections (I think there's enough card selection that all 3 of these aren't necessary. Depends if you like the speed or reusability as to which)
- OK I'm stuck on the last one just now!! Maybe Stitcher's Supplier , but then I'd maybe want the Altar of Dementia instead... I'd probably end up saying Dreadbore because sorcery speed. That way Mausoleum Secrets -ing for your Bedevil is essentially your second instant speed spot removal for Planeswalkers
Also, to your point about the 'Compet-o-meter', I'd say the impact will be from the system rating Zula/Noble highly because of combo involvement in decks that revolve around them and the Buccaneer showing up in Nekusar, the Mindrazer lists, which tend to be pretty savage!, rather than necessarily your changes being significantly worse one-for-one. I actually really like Embodiment of Agonies in this, it's cheap and can be a massive beatstick pretty easily.
3 months ago
You've got waay too many strategies going on here to ever pull one off well.
1) You have stuff like Corpsejack Menace and Retribution of the Ancients but the only card that actually benefits from it is Mycoloth , so seems waaay too niche (sure, there's undying, but typically they don't benefit from having 1 extra counter, and Death's Presence doesn't really care whether you're putting down 5 counters or 10... it's "win-more")
3) You have Vampiric Rites but I don't see how you gain a whole lot from sacing your creatures other than Blood Artist , and if you're sacing Mycoloth fungus tokens, you're probably already winning and being greedy.
So, what I would recommend:
1) Make sure each of your cards can interact positively with a large percentage of the other cards in your deck
2) Don't go overboard with high-casting-costing cards. You probably don't want more than 8 cards that cost 4cmc or over.
3) Decide if you want to go down the route of lots of tokens, or +1/+1 bulky creatures. It seems like your deck focus's around getting out Mycoloth , but without any fetch spells, you need to have backup plans and be able to do things without him. In either case, pick one plan and ditch the cards that don't do that plan. So
- Either lots of stuff that makes tokens and then things that can buff them as a whole.
- Or more things that generate +1/+1 counters and ways to make them bigger ( Winding Constrictor ). In this scenario you probably don't bother with Mycoloth .
- Or ways to benefit from sacrificing stuff, and lots of ways to recur stuff.
4) Canopy Cover is a bad card because it's mana cost makes it hard to play on the same turn you play the creature you want to protect, and even if you do, people can always respond (and will do). I've come to think it's an unplayable card. However, the Vines of Vastwood is much better as it provides hexproof to respond to the killspell. If you have more of them, use em!
Vampiric Rites occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.02%