Creature — Zombie Wizard
When Vindictive Lich dies, choose one or more. Each mode must target a different player.
*Target opponent sacrifices a creature.
*Target opponent discards two cards.
*Target opponent loses 5 life.
Vindictive Lich Discussion
3 weeks ago
Goldfished the deck a little. Honestly i think you can get away with 36 lands maybe even 35. you have plenty of ramp and duals that make this possible. Now you have some room for creatures like Spore Frog . Its needed in decks like these for when you have to spend a turn or two to set up your board state. It will keep players from wasting their attack phase on you. also its a sac outlet and easily recurrable. Also cards like Viscera Seer and Death Cultist are good for this too. final suggestion, Vindictive Lich and Torment of Hailfire .
3 weeks ago
Liliana, Heretical Healer Flip is something I experimented with, but in the end all I could ever really do was activate her +, which is pretty weak in this deck. But my meta is pretty hard on planeswalkers. Maybe yours is more lenient, idk.
Lord of Extinction is sorta just weak here. I mean it combos great with Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord , but how often are you going to christmas-dreamland into both of those two? And Nighthowler is kinda just a worse Lord of Extinction .
I have played Sheoldred, Whispering One before and, like all of the praetors, all she does is get you targeted to death- especially if you can recur her.
Deadbridge Chant 's randomness makes it pretty bad. You're aiming to have like 10 or 15 cards in your grave by the time you play this, it makes that number 25. 1 in 25 is not very good. Like the card is a decent value engine, but it's not likely to get you what you're looking for.
Suggestions for Adds:
Acidic Slime : flexible removal
Farhaven Elf : better ramp
Thragtusk : a BIG pillow to lie back against- five life and two blockers!
Treasure Keeper : good value
Veteran Explorer : never hurts to have the table on your side
Vindictive Lich : hits each opponent where it hurts
Wall of Blossoms : big-butt creature and a draw
Wurmcoil Engine : just insane
Hell's Caretaker : good recursion
Attrition : repeatable removal
Perilous Forays : repeatable ramp
Quagmire Druid : repeatable enchantment removal
Sadistic Hypnotist : repeatable hand hate
Thoughtpicker Witch : f.ck somebody's draws
Viscera Seer : free, instant-speed sac outlet, provides some card advantage
Vraska, Golgari Queen : + is great, - is great, and ult is insane
Deathreap Ritual : lots of draw
Shadows of the Past : so. many. scries.
Zulaport Cutthroat : pings opponents to death, gains life
4 weeks ago
I have a few suggestions for you. I'll try to break it down by category.
ETB abuse/Immediate +1+1 counters - Sage of Fables (card draw and curves into and protects Marchesa) and Metallic Mimic to abuse etb's 4 times per round in a 4 player game instead of just once (i.e. Vindictive Lich over and over).
Removal/Boardwipes - Replace Bontu's Last Reckoning with Last One Standing ... that downside is so much smaller. Flayer of the Hatebound is removal, life manipulation (hit yourself as needed), and combo. It can be sacced 8 times per round w/ 4 players for 36 damage per round (44 damage with Goblin Bombardment, 52 with Ogre Battledriver, and 60 with both).
Feel free to check out my list for ideas. Less emphasis on theft but the deck is fairly competitive and I've played it for several years. Feedback, Upvotes, and/or Ideas on any of my decks is appreciated. Every Masochist Needs a Marchesa To Love Them.
1 month ago
Some cards to consider:
- Bojuka Bog : A must include in any black commander deck.
- Boneknitter : Utility, simple as that.
- Corpse Harvester : Out with the old, in with the new... and a swamp!
- Cryptbreaker : So much value in such a small package. Token generating, card draw, good in the early and late game... what is not to love about this card!
- Death Baron : A zombie lord with some extra punch Sure he doesn't get deathtouch himself, but all those 2/2 tokens that are now 3/3 deathtouch.
- Dread Summons : Ever seen those zombie movies with that big hoard that just keeps coming... that's this card. Gives you a bunch of tokens, and recursion bait for your commander.
- Endless Ranks of the Dead : Card title kind of says it all for this one. Obviously not the best in metas with wrath effects coming down every turn, but shines like a copper penny otherwise.
- Ghoulcaller Gisa : So take one creature, throw it under the bus, and get more...
- Grave Titan : Why this thing isn't a zombie I will never know. 6/6 for 6, deathtouch, and brings two friends with it AND when it attacks.
- Graveborn Muse : Card draw based on zombies, who is also a zombie!
- Infernal Caretaker : Mass recursion, either play them out, or discard them back for more effects.
- Liliana, Death's Majesty : Just an all around strong zombie planeswalker.
- Liliana's Mastery : Zombies + an anthem that won't be a big target for removal.
- Lord of the Undead : A low to the ground zombie lord with recursion on a stick.
- Noxious Ghoul : Sweeps out low toughness cards for things you're already doing. Just great value.
- Relentless Dead : A great early drop, and late game it serves as a sac target + recursion.
- Shepherd of Rot : Yes it hits you, but this can be such a major threat.
- Undead Warchief : Cheaper zombies, and bigger zombies. All in one convenient package.
- Awaken the Erstwhile : Disruption, plain and simple. Sure it hurts your hand too, but you are the one with all the zombie based anthems.
- Victim of Night : Doomblade 2.0, but hits black creatures.
- Sidisi, Undead Vizier : You'll have so many tokens kicking around to exploit that she's just a straight tutor, and if she ever hits the graveyard just use her again with Scarab God.
- Fleshbag Marauder : Hurts them a lot more than you, and enter the battlefield abilities are great with Scarab around.
- Josu Vess, Lich Knight : Solid 4/5 Menace for 4, got the extra 6 mana though and he brings friends who also have menace.
- Wonder : Flying zombies... yep, that's scary.
- Pull from Tomorrow : Nice draw on an instant with the added benefit to pitch something for Scarab to target.
- Price of Fame : Legendary killer + Surveil 2... love it.
- Sinister Sabotage : Counterspell + Surveil... love it too.
- Paradox Haze : You've got a couple effects that trigger on upkeep, why not double up?
- The deck currently seems to be going in two directions, you have a large zombie theme which I love, but you also have a minor mill theme which seems out of place.
- Advanced Stitchwing : Slow for what it gives, even on the bounce back it comes back tapped.
- Apprentice Necromancer : This is one I'm on the fence suggesting, it's a one use for one turn only.
- Grimgrin, Corpse-Born : This guy is beast, but he works best in a deck build around him.
- Lamplighter of Selhoff : Slow, for his effect.
- Merciless Eternal : He's not bad, just a lot better things to include in the 3 cost bracket.
- Phenax, God of Deception : Love this guy, really do, but he's out of place here because he's a mill guy who loves big butts.
- Relentless Skaabs : This guy does everything you don't want as he hurts your graveyard in order to even hit play.
- Servant of Tymaret : Slow with high cost. In order to make the best use of him you have to be attacking, and if the way isn't clear that means a 3 mana tax just for 1 life on each opponent.
- Spiteful Returned : Don't hate it, but better things out there.
- Stitchwing Skaab : Suffers from the same as Advanced Stitchwing.
- Undead Alchemist : This guy can go either way, but the way I look at him is generally people have more cards in their decks than life, so it's easier to take out their life.
- Vindictive Lich : This guy is fun, though for his cost there is a lot more out there.
- Exotic Orchard : Risky unless you know your playgroup always has one of your colors, otherwise it's just a colorless and a swamp or island would be just as good.
- Leechridden Swamp : Slows you down for a minor effect.
- Path of Ancestry : Phenax is the only other god creature, so even if you keep him in it's very slow for the benefit it probably will never get the chance to give.
- Coat of Arms : I love this card, I really do, but it's a calculated risk and I find zombies are usually too slow of it. Run up against a goblin or elf deck and this will do more for your opponent.
- Mindcrank : This is another I'm on the fence with as it pairs really well with Scarab.
- Vanquisher's Banner : Good card, though you're not casting all those tokens so you're only getting a bit of a benefit from it.
- Liliana Vess : Good card, out of place in this deck unless you are going heavier into the mill.
- Ob Nixilis Reignited : Just completely out of place for zombie tribal.
- Glimpse the Unthinkable : One of those mill cards, it suffers as a one of.
- Rise from the Grave : Expensive for effect.
- Ruthless Disposal : This isn't bad in this deck, but compared to Morbid Slip for example it lacks that added shine.
- Curse of Disturbance : So much politics, this is VERY meta dependent as to if players fall for the bait.
- Quest for the Gravelord : This can work out, but more often then not stuff isn't dying fast enough or it just gets pinged with early removal.
- Search for Azcanta Flip: More at home in a non-creature strategy.
- Torment of Scarabs : Most people can play around this with not too much fuss, and it gives all the choice to them. I'd prefer some targeted removal.
1 month ago
Love the deck - been wanting to make a similar one for a while. accordianing suggestions to avoid filling the page.
Roc Egg - double dips as well, making multiple 3/3 flying tokens when it dies with your general on the field.
Sorin, Lord of Innistrad - pumps out lifelinkers, pumps out emblems. double win.
Hallowed Spiritkeeper - the bigger the graveyard, the bigger the swarm
Anointed Procession - Double up on tokens. works with Treasure & Clue tokens too
Wurmcoil Engine - double dips into a on death trigger
Hangarback Walker - double dips into, you guessed it, a death trigger. sensing a theme in my suggestions...
Pitiless Plunderer - gives treasure tokens on you creature's death.
Revel in Riches - gives treasure tokens on enemy creature's death, and an alternate win con
Sacred Mesa - also triggers a sac proc each turn you keep it around
Hidden Stockpile - a sac outlet that grants creatures.
Elspeth, Sun's Champion - pumps out tokens 3 at a time, or wide down the fatties. or both.
Twilight Drover - make tokens when tokens die. the cycle continues.
Custodi Soulbinders - makes tokens based on how many creatures were in play.
White Sun's Zenith - EoT mana dump for all the tokens. follow up with general cast, swing.
Entrapment Maneuver - force a solo attacker to die, makes tokens. handy little overlooked combat trick.
Lingering Souls - kind of a staple of Orzhov spirits, was kinda supprised not to see it.
Luminarch Ascension - stall to make stupidly cheap angels.
Shadows of the Past - lets you dig quickly through your deck with aenough death effects. doubles as a recurable life drain effect once your yard is deep enough
Sangromancer - death is life. who knew?
Bloodchief Ascension starts out small, but starts draining hard once it gets rolling.
Vampiric Rites is a solid, cheap card draw engine for tokens.
Thallid Soothsayer is it's legged, slightly more expensive brother (no life gain, but no black mana cost. more expensive, but has legs. bit of give and take, really)
Seraph of the Scales - this card is solid, if not amazing, so I was rather suprised to not see it here.
Yosei, the Morning Star - either lock down 2 opponents for a turn, or one opponenet for 2 turns. either way is a solid win.
Archon of Justice - exile a threat on death. simple enough.
Ashen Rider - triggers coming and going, but kinda pricey mana wise. worth looking at if nothing else.
Kokusho, the Evening Star - drain ALL THE THINGS!
Solemn Simulacrum - goes in most decks, didn't see it here so I figured I'd mention it.
Vindictive Lich - gives alot of options for a single death effect.
2 months ago
2 months ago
Sage of Fables , Glen Elendra Archmage , Vindictive Lich , Viscera Seer , Venser, Shaper Savant , Corpse Augur , Sower of Temptation , and Grim Haruspex are all great wizards in Marchesa. Metallic Mimic deserves a spot too.
Anyways, feel free to check out my list for inspiration. It's not tribal but is still very optimized. Feedback, Upvotes, and/or Ideas on any of my decks is appreciated. Every Masochist Needs a Sadist To Love Them
2 months ago
Vindictive Lich occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.02%