|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Magic 2014 (M14)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Hydra
Vastwood Hydra enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
When Vastwood Hydra dies, you may distribute a number of +1/+1 counters equal to the number of +1/+1 counters on Vastwood Hydra among any number of creatures you control.
Vastwood Hydra Discussion
1 month ago
- I love this commander and think you've got a great start and idea, but you need to fully commit to the fact that this deck is all about Skullbriar being huge and smashing face, or one of his friends doing it. .
- You should put in Increasing Savagery , Hardened Scales , Solidarity of Heroes , Reyhan, Last of the Abzan , Fungal Behemoth , Vastwood Hydra , Retreat to Kazandu , Predator Ooze , Blessings of Nature to push the +1/+1 theme to the max. .
- Now, 2nd problem is having big creatures without trample. I see Tuskguard Captain and you've got Rancor already, which is 100% awesome and reusable, but you should have 2 reusable trample activators, so I recommend also adding Ring of Kalonia . .
- Having big creatures attacking also is usually stopped by awkward blocks. You need slightly better cheap removal so I recommend Titanic Brawl , Ancient Animus , Abrupt Decay . .
- 3rd Problem is when they actually block and kill something because they have no other way to deal with it. Make them hate blocking by just having Mer-Ek Nightblade on your field. And then resummon stuff with Journey to Eternity Flip! .
- 4th Problem is when you're smashing for 17 trample damage a turn, but they've got some stupid elf-shaman combo or human-ally combo that gains them 20 life a turn. And now they're at 55 life. Awkward. Get a sneaky kill in instantly with Tainted Strike on one of your big trample guys, just make sure you were about to do 10+ normal damage, and surprise win. (please put Tainted Strike in, even if you ignore every other card I suggested) .
- 5th Problem is your life-total. Sometimes you just need your 12/12 to have lifelink. Best way is Loxodon Warhammer , plus it gives you another trample activator!! .
- Also for ramp you should include Incubation Druid and Rampant Growth . I'd also use hexproof enabling with Alpha Authority .
- I would definitely remove the following since they don't fit with your deck idea overall to make room: Elves of Deep Shadow (don't need), Longtusk Cub (it ain't ever gonna happen), Witchstalker (useless against a red/white/green deck), Gaze of Granite (since it kills your things too), Animation Module (its slow and you should have better things to do with your mana than make 1/1s), Cloak and Dagger (no rogues, it's slow, Alpha Authority is better), Golgari Signet should be replace with Golgari Cluestone so you can sac/draw when you don't need mana anymore. Manalith (you have an aggro curve, don't need THAT much ramp), Plague Boiler (you're not a control deck), Skullclamp (since we're taking out Animation Module , you've got enough good draw), Wayfarer's Bauble (Rampant Growth is better), Greater Good (you're aggro not a graveyard-based-conrol deck), Preferred Selection & Primitive Etchings (because again you're not control, you want to be aggro). .
- I would also cut down on the # of fancy lands that don't add b/g, and play a few more basics for fetching with your ramp cards and being able to play commander on turn 2 more likely.
5 months ago
Hey, saw your forum topic asking if any recent cards are worth an upgrade in any of your decks. Out of all your decks this one in my opinion has the most potential for upgrades. Even just with cards that are already in Magic, not ones that were in recent sets. You seem serious about upgrading this deck therefore most of my suggestions won't be budget cards.
Cards in recent sets to consider:
Cards that can be potential upgrades for cards here:
- Diabolic Intent or Vampiric Tutor > Diabolic Tutor
- Maelstrom Pulse > Hero's Downfall or Putrefy
- Trophy > Abrupt Decay or Putrefy
- Reanimate or Animate Dead > Vigor Mortis
- Sylvan Library > Ordeal of Nylea
- Berserk > Soul's Might
- Scavenging Ooze > Obsessive Skinner
- Night's Whisper > Harmonize
- Drana, Liberator of Malakir > Vastwood Hydra
- Rishkar, Peema Renegade > Fungal Behemoth
- Pir > Varolz, the Scar-Striped
- Unspeakable Symbol > Death's Presence
- Umezawa's Jitte > Blessings of Nature
- Forum > Evolving Wilds
- Greater Good > Curse of Predation
Good luck with your deck.
8 months ago
CardTyrant: Thanks for the suggestion, but sadly Cathars' Crusade is a white card and out of the color scheme of the deck. As much as I want white in this deck, there are no good partners that fit these themes currently.
8 months ago
Vastwood Hydra combos with Reyhan out. When it dies you will get double triggers basically. Servant of the Scale and the modular creatures all do this too, but the modular mechanic needs other artifact creatures to put the counters on. Check out my reyhan for examples..
Commander / EDH*
SCORE: 3 | 229 VIEWS | IN 1 FOLDER
9 months ago
Okay, NOW we can get to the hydras. Kalonian Hydra, Primordial Hydra and Vastwood Hydra are the two that should be must haves. Savageborn Hydra, Heroes' Bane, Managorger Hydra and Ulvenwald Hydra are solid options as well. I'd keep Mistcutter Hydra and Oran-Rief Hydra. Maybe on Hungering Hydra and Hydra Broodmaster.
I know this is A LOT of stuff to go through, but I want to make sure it stays your deck and doesn't become my deck for you to play.
9 months ago
Hooded Hydra and Vastwood Hydra look like the only creatures you'd like to sacrifice to High Market, but I think it might be better to just let those threats of gained/retained value upon death be an upside in the event they are the target of removal. You could probably swap this out for another ramp card or mana rock. I'm counting 8 sources of ramp currently. You could probably benefit from more. Considering the number of X spells you have, your "real" curve is probably a little high.
10 months ago
Maybe add cards like Hatred to sneak in commander damage to win. Also maybe try something like Tainted Strike as another way to sneak that win in. If you are going to be playing a drawn out game then something like Curse of Predation could be helpful. I've played games where skullbriar has gotten big enough that Rite of Consumption just won me the game, it could be a good include. Tuskguard Captain can give skullbriar trample, which is good.
I also have a skillbriar deck, Skullbriar's counter attack, mine is more creature heavy, feel free to check it out and give me some suggestions!
10 months ago
Equipment is the theme here so getting them and protecting your equipment is good, but there is a bunch so you could make an easy cut there: Open the Vaults -I personally don't like because opponents get their shit too, Darksteel Forge -such a big mana sink and it wont keep your creatures alive, Ghostly Flicker -I'm trying to think of where this would be useful besides ETB effects, it wont save them from artifact destruction spells, Leonin Abunas -gives your artifacts hexproof but is a 4 mana 2/5, super meh imo.
There is also a lot of 'equipment recursion' if you wanna call it that. Think about how much resources you want to dedicate to bringing destroyed equipment back from the graveyard versus counting on drawing or tutoring one of your 17 equipment in the deck. I personally LOVE how many artifact/equipment tutors you have, I personally would gladly run just those INSTEAD of the recursion spells. Ritual of Restoration
Here are other cuts I'd consider: Bred for the Hunt Primeval Bounty Foundry Inspector Auriok Windwalker Dispatch -I would swap with Swords to Plowshares as it is more reliable, or Condemn. Harrow, Kiora, Master of the Depths.
Here are some possible replacements: Sun Titan -VERY GOOD FOR YOUR DECK, Danitha Capashen, Paragon, Bloodforged Battle-Axe, Moonsilver Spear, Brimaz, King of Oreskos, Armory Automaton, Balan, Wandering Knight, Blackblade Reforged, Valduk, Keeper of the Flame, Godo, Bandit Warlord, Ajani, Caller of the Pride -bringing him back, Edric, Spymaster of Trest, Austere Command, Elspeth, Knight-Errant.
Vastwood Hydra occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%