|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Masters Edition (MED)||Common|
|Fifth Edition (5ED)||Uncommon|
|Fallen Empires (FEM)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Enchantment — Aura
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1.
Sacrifice Thrull Retainer: Regenerate enchanted creature.
Thrull Retainer Discussion
1 month ago
I quite enjoy the style of this deck and the build around it. I assume a large portion of your playstyle revolves around Kresh and being able to utilize him. However, lets say he gets hated out 3 times, then what? I think there is enough other value there where you could probably grind out a win, but a large amount of your Fling cards will just sit in your hand not doing much if Kresh if dead. So I would be looking at more ways to protect Kresh. Carapace, Demonic Vigor, Skeletal Grimace, Thrull Retainer, and Voyager Staff. Are a couple to name. Staff might not be good because you'll lose all the counters, but atleast its not 6+ commander tax mana to pay again. Another note, you mention wanted to run a tutor to get X cards. Tutors seem like they would be important in your deck yet you don't run any. While some people really don't like playing with tutors, if a large portion of your game plan needs to have a key piece to either make Kresh unblockable, or to throw him into a player and you don't have any Flings then your sol. There seems to be a fair amount of them so in practice you might always be getting one, but just something to think about.
Either way really love the idea and hopefully the comments help!
5 months ago
Hi! I'm personally a huge fan of Muldrotha as a commander; so first of all, nice choice! Here are some cuts and additions I'd recommend:
- Archetype of Endurance. This card is very powerful to be sure, but Muldrotha already needs a lot of mana to function, and you don't have very many ways to cheat it into play.
- Butcher of Malakir. Grave Pact and Dictate of Erebos are more expensive money-wise, but being cheaper on mana and also more resilient makes them much, much better.
- Deranged Assistant. It looks good at first glance, but it's a 2-mana dork, and you're not playing any of the 1-mana dorks anyways. The single-card mill is a very minor upside.
- Millikin. Same as above.
- Nyx Weaver. It can be very good, but it's just too slow. There are much better ways to mill yourself, and a 6-mana Regrowth is way too much mana.
- Progenitor Mimic. A powerful card to be sure, but this isn't the deck for it.
- Slum Reaper. I think this card is only really worth running in decks that badly need the 3rd Fleshbag Marauder. Shriekmaw is almost always going to be better.
- Aether Spellbomb. Looping it can be fun, but bouncing a creature is a terrible waste, and there are better ways to draw cards with artifacts.
- Perpetual Timepiece. This card was good on Game Knights when they were only using Standard cards, but we have better options.
- Plague Boiler. This card is also cool, but once again, we have better choices.
- Demonic Vigor. Fun with Muldrotha, but there is usually so much exile-based removal in Commander that this card isn't as good as you think.
- Hesitation. Sweet include, but looks a little too cute. Very easy to play around, and also counters your spells.
- Skeletal Grimace. Same as Demonic Vigor.
- Thrull Retainer. Same.
- Grave Pact / Dictate of Erebos
- Living Death
- Dimir Signet
- Siren Stormtamer
- Farhaven Elf
- Wood Elves
- Evolutionary Leap
- Altar of Dementia
- Ashnod's Altar
- Pelakka Wurm
- Kiora, the Crashing Wave
- Viscera Seer
- Carrion Feeder
- Glen Elendra Archmage (pricey, but very powerful)
- Nihil Spellbomb (secretly fantastic here)
- Sultai Charm
- Phyrexian Arena
Hope this helps! Feel free to leave a comment on my profile if you'd like further suggestions for this or any other deck! Good luck!
9 months ago
2 years ago
In Commander, there are in fact more than two black thrulls. There's Armor Thrull (one of my favorites), Necrite & Mindstab Thrull, Blood Pet, Basal Thrull & Blood Vassal, Exhumer Thrull, Thrull Champion, Thrull Parasite, Thrull Surgeon & Thrull Wizard... and that's pretty much all the good ones in mono-black.
I love thrulls, btw. =)
Also, check out this link for excellent tribal support: The Bones To Build Your Tribal Deck
Thrull Retainer occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.0%