|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Rise of the Eldrazi (ROE)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Elf Druid
Level up (: Put a level counter on this. Level up only as a sorcery.) [1/1]
Level 1-4 Tap: Add to your mana pool. [1/2]
Level 5+ Elves you control have "symbol:tap Add to your mana pool." [1/4]
|Have (17)||Pelli , dizzierabit , corys , rikertchu , Fairseas , ztanos , MattN7498 , teslacoil7992 , geazykagar , mandoso , Schmawl , Pumpkinking913 , GeminiSpartanX , Wolfebladeelite , Ashy , johnsongrantr , Ellyreia|
|Want (11)||AlmondReport , Xue-Kaihua , guacachole , rickmillward , arvindrad92 , 2gherkins , Jeymz , dream_cast , Roxmysox32 , FudoZen , bennybubbles|
Joraga Treespeaker Discussion
1 week ago
Firstly, you need
Elvish Piper can go. What are you putting into play that's worth the 5-mana, two turns, and a card of investment?
Devikarin Dissident can go. It's just not very strong.
Druid of the Cowl, Elfhame Druid, Llanowar Scout should be the next creatures to go. There are better mana elves out there. Llanowar Elves , Fyndhorn Elves , Joraga Treespeaker , and Arbor Elf should all be in there before more mana elves enter the equation.
Blanchwood Armor, Oakenform, Arbor Armament, Dragonscale Boon, Gift of Growth, Mutagenic Growth, Pounce, Shape the Sands, Vines of the Recluse, and Takedown are all poorly suited to EDH. You'll want effects that pump your whole team like Beastmaster Ascension , Overwhelming Stampede , Craterhoof Behemoth , and Thunderfoot Baloth , rather than targeted combat tricks. Likewise, you'll want Heroic Intervention to save creatures. As for flying removal, consider Hurricane , Tropical Storm , Whiptongue Hydra , and Tornado Elemental .
2 weeks ago
Hey, you didn't include a link to your deck or have a Rhys deck in your profile?
I think token producers who are creatures or other permanents (Planeswalkers) far outweigh instants and sorceries because permanents can be repeatable sources of token creation much like Rhys himself is. Many repeatable sources of card advantage is one of most important things to have in multiplayer Commander. Walkers survive most board wipes that are played in Commander and board wipes are a big problem for tokens. Green gives you a lot of creature tutor options making it much easier to tutor for a specific creature then an instant or sorcery.
Rhys is a token producer from the Command Zone so technically you don't need a lot of other token producers, but cards like Mycoloth and Tendershoot Dryad can be no mana cost token engines each turn. Elf ramp is good with Rhys: Priest of Titania , Elvish Archdruid , and Joraga Treespeaker and Walker token producers are good cards to ramp into: Elspeth, Knight-Errant , Garruk Wildspeaker , Gideon, Ally of Zendikar , Freyalise, Llanowar's Fury , Garruk, Primal Hunter , Elspeth, Sun's Champion , Nissa, Voice of Zendikar . Walkers are busted with Doubling Season which is a good card have with tokens.
1 month ago
@hungry000 Thanks for the advice! Joraga Treespeaker was 1 of the cards I was looking at to replace. It is the weakest card(other than maybe Heroic Intervention ) and the only reason I played it (I think) was because my fiend likes to play aggressive red decks and I needed the possible chump blockers.
1 month ago
I'd play it in the Joraga Treespeaker spots, it's the weakest card in the deck and they both function as ramp so the division of labor (so to speak) wouldn't be changed at all.
1 month ago
I really don't get your justification for not playing Utopia Sprawl . So what if it's used in a Stompy deck? That doesn't make it any less good as a ramp spell. In other words, just because a card makes you think of a certain type of deck doesn't mean it only works in that type of deck. Like, Lightning Bolt is Burn's best card, but it's also used as a removal spell in UR and Jeskai Control decks, which are on the opposite side of the spectrum.
Plus, with Utopia Sprawl, you can pull off the turn 5 Spawnsire win you wrote about in your description on turn 4 without having to play Harmonize to draw the rest of the cards you need.
Turn 1: Land, Arbor Elf
Turn 3: Land, you now have access to 10 mana (the land with Utopia Sprawl on it taps for 6 w/ Arbor Elf, the other two lands tap for 2 each) and 3 cards in hand assuming you went first. From here, there are a couple ways to get to 30 mana:
- Primeval Titan --> Arbor Elf or Vernal Bloom or Utopia Sprawl or a land (next turn) + an Early Harvest next turn
- Arbor Elf --> Utopia Sprawl + Early Harvest
Turn 4: Draw a card (it'd have to be a Spawnsire or an Early Harvest if u had Spawnsire in hand) and then Spawnsire ftw!
If you went second the extra card would give you a lot more options for getting to 30 mana on turn 4, and I'm sure I missed a few routes up above.
But other than allowing the turn 4 win, Utopia Sprawl also just speeds everything else up a lot with Arbor Elf, letting you play 4 mana worth of ramp on turn 2 or a Prime Time on turn 3 (you don't even need any extra ramp to do that), and unlike Joraga Treespeaker , it is also untapped by Early Harvest . It might be worth testing some more untap land effects like Voyaging Satyr and Magus of the Candelabra (Magus especially seems neat; it's kind of like an extra Early Harvest).
Also, here's a Spawnsire of Ulamog deck I saw a while back (almost a couple years ago I think): https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/much-abrew-harvest-wave-modern (Note that it used both Utopia Sprawl and Fertile Ground to great effect). Idk if it helps at all, but it's nice to look at a different take on the same deck to get some ideas. There are also some G Devotion lists that make a ton of mana with Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx + Garruk Wildspeaker .
1 month ago
Todays Hot Takes
- That Priest of Forgotten Gods is going to be so f'n great, like whoa. It makes me think that even though the sac outlets for standard are still missing a free one like Nantuko Husk or Viscera Seer the strategy is still shaping up big time. Totally rad it does it all: adding mana and drawing a card and forcing creature sacrificing and doing damage to opponents all in one effect. Super duper hyped to play it in my Mazirek, Kraul Death Priest edh deck.
- Orzhov Depositor is another quiet standout, its great sac fodder. I'm fairly certain its a playable standard card, and its going straight in my Mazirek deck too. Here is the deck by the way: Mazirek Sac-Storm: The Contraption of Life & Death I'm currently the #2 Mazirek deck on tappedout, so upvotes are very appreciated. Number 1 hasn't updated his list in like 3 years, so I will probably pass him eventually.
- I'm also super hyped for Incubation Druid, it reminds me of a more expensive Joraga Treespeaker. I always love ramp. And elves. And +1/+1 counters. And ramp.
- I just built Child of Alara edh with Maze's End combo last month expecting new toys for it. So its fun getting a couple decent "gates matters" cards for that. That gate Reflecting Pool land Harmony Square combined with Gateway Plaza could be the core of a mana base for standard. Maybe thats how the gate deck's mana base looks? If there is ever a standard gate deck anyways.
- Cinder Lash is totally a cool card to upgrade edh decks with. It reminds me of Aura of Silence but with damage instead of mana taxing. Having cards like this in play can be a nice political tool.
- Skewer the Critics will be great in the mono red list I play on Arena. I expect it makes burn a very serious deck again in standard.
1 month ago
Hey, an avg. CMC of 4.1 is pretty high when the Commander is a one drop especially since there's only Ring and Reach as ramp here. Consider decreasing this number to 2.0-3.0? Cards that can help to do this:
- Joraga Treespeaker
- Priest of Titania
- Elvish Archdruid
- Sterling Grove
- Eladamri's Call
- Worldly Tutor
- Chord of Calling
- Selfless Spirit
- Fierce Empath
- Mox Amber
- Crop Rotation
Rhys creates Elves making Treespeaker, Priest and Archdruid very good ramp. Grove can protect or tutor for Doubling Season and be reanimated with Sun Titan. Call, Worldly, Chord, Empath are all low mana cost creature tutors. Chord's convoke is especially nice with tokens. Selfless can protect your token army and be reanimated with Sun Titan. Mox is good with Rhys since he's only one mana and Crop can tutor for an put Wirewood or any other land right into play.
Good luck with your deck.
2 months ago
Hey, nice budget green deck, well made for your first Commander deck.
I know the strategy here is ramp into big creatures giving them haste with Surrak, but there's a limit in the amount of big creatures you want to play. Instead of filling the creature spots with tons of big creatures play a few of the better ones and cut the others for lower CMC cards. The avg. CMC here is 4.4 that's really high even for a ramp deck. You want more things to do in the early and mid game to set-up Surrak and big creatures.
I would restrict the big creatures to play to ones that give you value when they ETB. When you cast a six or seven plus drop creature you better get something out of your mana investment other than large power and being able to attack. Value is the name of the game in Commander. Big creatures who don't give you value are just not good enough.
Budget cards to consider adding:
- Fauna Shaman: repeatable creature tutor
- Fierce Empath: big creature tutor
- Greater Good: excellent repeatable draw with big creatures
- Joraga Treespeaker: good ramp creature for mono green
- Whisperer of the Wilds: mana dork who can consistently make two green mana because of Surrak
- Courser of Kruphix: can help to prevent land flooding because there's so many Forests
- Regal Force: ETB draw
- Temur Sabertooth: bounce creatures with ETB abilities and play them again
- Woodfall Primus: ETB noncreature permanent removal
- Thunderfoot Baloth: adding +2 power and trample for all your creatures just for having Surrak in play
Most of my suggestions are cards that can help to account of the lack of tutors here or are more ramp. Because of the low budget there's a lack of creature tutors which is understandable, but you still want other ways to get specific creatures into your hand. Fauna Shaman is now a budget card thanks to Ultimate Masters and she can be a repeatable tutor for creatures. Even if you had tutors I would still recommend adding Fauna she's very good.
Empath is a great budget creature tutor for green it's a big reason to include Sabertooth. Sabertooth is a very underrated creature in Commander. It's pretty damn powerful with all of the utility creatures in green who have ETB abilities (Witness, Sage, Empath, Regal, Slime, Primus, Breaker, etc.).
Cards to consider cutting:
- Archetype of Endurance
- Farseek: can't search for a Forest
- Caller of the Pack
- Decimator of the Provinces: Thunderfoot is a better budget card for this effect because it can last more than one turn
- Mouth / Feed
- Ezuri's Predation
- Swiftfoot Boots: you have Greaves
- Gaea's Revenge
- Verdant Sun's Avatar
- Protean Hulk
Good luck with your deck.
Joraga Treespeaker occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.01%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.02%
G/U (Simic): 0.08%
GW (Selesnya): 0.08%