|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Masters 25 (A25)||Mythic Rare|
|MTG: Commander (CMD)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Animar, Soul of Elements
Legendary Creature — Elemental
Protection from white and from black
Whenever you cast a creature spell, put a +1/+1 counter on Animar, Soul of Elements.
Creature spells you cast cost less to cast for each +1/+1 counter on Animar.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (12)||ibraJG84 , jrschnoebelen , MyTotoro , angesoir , Forkbeard , , Lucan2000 , Slowbro23 , Thunderbeard , Oloro_Magic , Dimarx , Florg|
|Want (9)||kovellen , spike1395 , Papstxiii , darthnuchi , Rathe , golgariizzet , corys , DFDGamer , epic-jargon|
Animar, Soul of Elements Discussion
5 days ago
Biggest issue I see here is a lack of focus and not enough creatures for a creatures only matter deck.
Animar, Soul of Elements wants two main things: Cast creatures and get +1/+1 counters to cast larger creatures. Everything in the deck should be focused on those two goals.
Setting up the deck to achieve this purpose will make it efficient and powerful. All cards should therefore do one of the following:
- Ramp up to Animar.
- Protect Animar.
- Place counters on Animar.
- Cast game ending creatures for cheap or free.
- Draw cards to allow us to do 1 through 4.
Priority should be given to cards that does something now > does something before your next turn > does something on your next turn > does something eventually.
Because Animar offers a discount based on creatures played, the deck shouldn't be filled with only high cmc game enders, but creatures from low to high cmc, preferably with as little colored mana symbols as possible, to give the deck a natural progression to casting free or cheap high cmc game ending creatures.
Let's split the deck into 3 parts. Pre-Animar setup, Post-Animar setup, Finale.
Note that $: (0 to 0.99), $$: (1.00 to 4.99), $$$: (5.00 to 9.99), $$$$: (10.00 to 19.99), !$!: (20.00+)
Unnecessary on a computer, very helpful on a phone.
- Exotic Orchard is pretty good and cheap and can usually offer every color in multiplayer, especially if an opponent has a Command Tower out or even a Vivid Grove without even needing charge counters. - Kazoo lands such as Simic Growth Chamber, Izzet Boilerworks, and Gruul Turf are good in casual EDH where there is lack of land destruction and they artifically increase your deck ammount by posing as two lands in one. Though overall you do not want too many tap lands as you'll constantly be a entire turn behind.
- Zhur-Taa Druid creature ramp & burn. $
- Bloom Tender creature ramp. !$!
- Coiling Oracle ramp or card draw. $
- Cyclonic Rift removal or 1-sided board wipe. $$$$
- Explore ramp and card Draw. $
- Sakura-Tribe Elder creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Sylvan Caryatid creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Beastcaller Savant creature ramp and color fix. $$
- Kiora's Follower creature ramp or vigilance on a stick. $
- Rattleclaw Mystic creature ramp and color fix. $
- Walking Atlas potentially free creature ramp. $
- Simic Charm so versatile. $
- Lightning Greaves Protection and quick haste for a large creature. $$
- Spellskite For those , & removals. $$$
- Ring of Kalonia Ramp every turn and makes Animar a lot more threatening. $
- Sage of Fables Emergency card draw. $$
- Pestermite Vigilance, chump blocker vs flying or stopping a giant creature. $
- Guided Passage One of the best card draw and pick your poison spells ever. $$
- Pir, Imaginative Rascal A creature hardened scales and specific tutor. $$
- Cloudstone Curio An auto include if you can afford it. $$$$
- Temur Ascendancy Makes all your casted creatures threatening and some card draw. $
- Phyrexian Metamorph Costs 2 life and can do so much for you. $$$
- Solemn Simulacrum Free ramp, chump blocker and card draw. $$
- Faerie Artisans It doesn't look like much, this is card can get crazy. $$
- Toothy, Imaginary Friend A growing monstrocity that explodes into cards. $$
- Silent Arbiter Protection against swarm decks. $$
- Xenagos, God of Revels Game ender. $$
- Vesuvan Shapeshifter On your upkeep, you may pay to clone the biggest and baddest mofo on the field. $
- Deepglow Skate Potential huge ramp for just . $$$
- Progenitor Mimic Very dangerous to copy one of the heavy hitters in this deck. $$
- Consecrated Sphinx All the card draw. $$$
- Deadwood Treefolk Repeatable creature recusion. $
- Steel Hellkite Situational, but very deadily against token decks. $
- Great Oak Guardian Great, quick surprise block when tapped out. $
- Pathbreaker Ibex Quick, game ender. $$
- Thunderfoot Baloth Setup for getting past defenses. $$
- Scourge of the Throne Depending on the situation, can be deadly. !$!
1 week ago
TheDeckMaker2300, yep, Sigil is exactly unable to fit on this list for that exact reason.
thrane, actually one of the inspirations for this list was to showcase that paying 3 mana to recur one card as being a pretty bad rate of return in comparison to everything that's available, notably Regrowth. Outside of synergies with ETB creatures (which means that E-Witness would be a card that would be good based on the commander strategy specifically, like Ancestral Statue in Animar, Soul of Elements, although not quite to that extreme), Regrowth will always be better since it's 1 mana cheaper.
Oak_Guy I've been considering cards like Reap that only work against certain colors. I'm still on the fence for all cards except ones against blue/islands, because of how common blue decks are, but I'll keep Reap in mind. Thanks!
3 weeks ago
What cdkime said.
Ninjutsu isn't an alternative cost, it's an ability that functions from your hand rather than when the creature is on the battlefield. Aether Vial isn't an alternative cost either, it's just an ability that puts a creature on the battlefield. Neither results in casting the creature, and can only be responded to with Stifle effects.
Similarly, an ability that reduces a creature's casting cost, such as on Animar, Soul of Elements, doesn't affect ninjutsu, because ninjutsu isn't an alternative casting cost. (Unlike things like Dash, such as on Kolaghan Skirmisher, or Morph, which are alternative casting costs.)
You either use Aether Vial to put the ninja on the battlefield using the vial's ability (the ninja will just be on the battlefield, not using its ninjutsu ability), or you use the ninja's ninjutsu ability to put it on the battlefield in place of an unblocked attacking creature of yours.
1 month ago
Also, link your cards if you can so everyone knows who you're talking about
1 month ago
Moat doesn't affect cEdh decks, almost ever. I mean Sword of Feast and Famine gets hurt a bit, etc. Same thing goes for Ghostly Prison, Propaganda, Sphere of Safety. These cards are neither prison nor stax, just pillow fort.
"Damage Mitigation" isn't stax/prison either, just more pillow fort.
City of Solitude and War's Toll aren't "Stax" in a conventional sense (War's Toll is very close), but they are much closer to combo protection. Rule of Law or Ethersworn Canonist are real options for "Casting Stax". Nevermore and Gideon's Intervention are considered removal though.
That leaves you with the following real stax/prison effects.
Okay, would your deck be stax? No, it would have a few stax cards. Would it be prison? No though it can pull off one.
Now, lets go back to reality. You run 4 cards, of which Mystic Remora/Rhystic Study are may costs, and so can't pull off a prison, and War's Toll doesn't affect many decks. It can stop a bit of disruption, which is powerful as an effect, but it does set up a prison without other cards. Think how good it would be with The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, if they pay any upkeep costs, they tap all their lands, and their mana disappears by their main phase. But you don't run it for that.
Finally, the best Prison/Stax piece you run, Tainted AEther, which can affect a few very specific decks, and slow them down a turn or two. If you ran 6-10 of these silver bullets, and tutored them up dependent on the situation at hand.
To sum everything up, you run 4 stax peices, of which two can't set up prisons, one doesn't in this deck, and one that could, but is a silver bullet. You are not Stax nor are Prison.
1 month ago
ah nvm i get it now. we're supposed to assume the Animar, Soul of Elements has enough counters to make the creatures as cheap as they possibly can be. thats something you should really include in the deck description. also,
1 month ago
how does Animar, Soul of Elements + Ancestral Statue give you infinite etb's? how does Earthcraft + Man-o'-War go infinite? are you sure the combos work the way you think they do? don't you need infinite mana as well?
1 month ago
Okay, so, speaking of combos...there's a lot of lines missing, in my opinion. Plus, too many missed opportunities for tutors that can win game for you. And a complete lack of mana rocks. Which, I get, is kinda the whole point of Animar, Soul of Elements. But what do you do against someone's turn one Torpor Orb? Or someone's turn two Nevermore?
A Panharmonicon would probably go over really well in this deck.
And I would probably add another land or two to the deck. 30 with almost no rocks is risky. My decks run 33 with a lot of rocks, and still sometimes can hit trouble. But if the number has worked for you so far, keep at it. Because if I could go with less lands, I would.