Animar, Soul of Elements
Legendary Creature — Elemental
Protection of white and from black
Whenever you cast a creature spell, put a +1/+1 counter on Animar, Soul of Elements.
Creature spells you cast cost 1 less to cast for each +1/+1 counter on Animar.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Animar, Soul of Elements Discussion
26 minutes ago
Den Protector could be good with Animar, Soul of Elements. Hopefully a free 2/2 that can flip for to bring a card from the grave to your hand, then be a 3/2!
6 hours ago
Dude, what about Bearastodon? I mean Terastodon YOU give them elephants, to punch those elephants in the face!
Prime Speaker Zegana sounds like she wants to make friends in this deck.
9 hours ago
Choke is always on the maybe board, generally making the sideboard based on how I think the metagame is going to be. There are two local stores that regularly hold Tiny Leader events with one's metagame leaning toward aggro and midrange (Ashling the Pilgrim, Anafenza, the Foremost, Alesha, Who Smiles at Death, etc.) and the other leaning toward blue control and tempo variants (Geist of Saint Traft, Jenara, Asura of War, and Animar, Soul of Elements).
I've playtested with Trinisphere in the main and it always seemed to tax myself too much in the early game, since I tend to be slow off the ground versus some decks, and often times became a "win more" card in the late game. It's always worth revisiting after I get some more experience with the list (I've played in 3 tournament thus far, however large).
Thorn of Amethyst seems to be exactly what I'd want to be doing. Since I'm using a Living Wish package, I've always had trouble finding a spot in the sideboard. Perhaps moving Tower of the Magistrate to the main in place of Mikokoro, Center of the Sea and putting Thorn of Amethyst in its sideboard slot would be right. I definitely need to test it!
2 weeks ago
Hello all! I have. Bunch of oversized cards I would like to trade/sale. Please tell me if you have any interestso I can look your binder! If you are interested in buying, make me an offer. I will process everything through paypal.
2 weeks ago
Well, with lots of ramp he can come out early. I also don't have any combo decks in my playgroup. Nor is my playgroup extremely competitive. But, Karrthus is capable of dealing Commander damage quite well.
Animar, Soul of Elements would be my other choice for ridiculous combos and fatties. Probably faster than Karrthus. I prefer fatties. TIIMMMMMAAAYYY!
2 weeks ago
I playtested a version very similar to yours last night and found when my opponent managed to answer Animar, the Hydras were dead in my hand. I feel the best CMC for a creature in an Animar deck has a devotion of 1, with exceptions for Thassa's devotion and crazy powerful dudes like Primordial Hydra and Apocalypse Hydra.
I'd cut: Genesis Hydra for sure. It can't cast another Hydra, it has high devotion, I just don't like this card here.Lifeblood Hydra The devotion to green is way too high in a tri-color deck IMO. And, there's a lot of exile removal that would steal the payoff.Hooded Hydra high devotion, the payoff doesn't do much to team up with Animar.
Optional: Vastwood Hydra high devotion, low payoff. It's okay, but I cut it from mine because of the devotion.These two are okay, but they aren't as powerful as the others you have: Protean Hydra Feral Hydra
As for the board, It depends who you find yourself playing against. My gut says the counters would be more useful than Street Spasm, Anger of the Gods, or Miren, the Moaning Well. With Animar, I have trouble picturing you turning this into a control deck post board.
Usually when I've used him, any card that isn't a creature starts to feel like a waste of space. He's a quick combo with a fast clock. Even Solidarity of Heroes feels a bit like a 'win more' card. It only really pays off when you've already got a bunch of dudes with a lot of counters on them. At that point, you're probably already going to win.
2 weeks ago
Sweet! Alright, yes I do!
Here are the constraints I'm using:
- must be less than 4 CMC
- must be 2-3 colors
- must synergize with creatures
- (every deck can be made to employ control elements of you so desire)
- must have a unique ability (basically drawing cards, tapping permanents, etc is boring)
- (it's up to you to decide which is unused at your LGS)
Alright, this is what we've got (keep in mind some of the decklists attached are in dire need of updating/rebuilding heh):
- Hanna, Ship's Navigator: Now while she may not look like much, being able to return artifacts and enchantments is already kind of annoying, but when you can return enchantment creatures and artifact creatures, things get out of hand fast. Not to mention the ridiculous combo she has with Mindslaver. (I've been meaning to build this but haven't gotten around to it heh.)
- Teysa, Orzhov Scion: When youre not comboing off with Darkest Hour and a sac outlet, you get to make all the black tokens, which can result in either winning the game cause you slapped your opponents too hard or in stopping crazy threats by first sacrificing the black tokens to sac outlets you have in your deck already cause of the aforementioned combo and then sacrificing the newly made white tokens to Teysa. MagicalHacker - Teysa, Orzhov Scion.
- Jhoira of the Ghitu: It's easy to see how she can do whatever you want her to do. Mostly people suspend MLD then suspend huge threats and then just win. But suspending extra turn spells should be part of the mix I say! If you like casting Omniscience for 2 mana in a deck where you already have lots of expensive stuff to cast, this is the deck for you. MagicalHacker - Jhoira of the Ghitu.
- Pharika, God of Affliction: If you like tribal decks that do a million things simultaneously, Pharika is for you. Snake tribal? Check. Self mill? Check. Politics and group hug? Check. Anti-graveyard? Check. Deathtouch shenanigans? Check. Constellation? Check. If you thought Doomwake Giant couldn't get any better, oh ho ho, THINK AGAIN. MagicalHacker - Pharika, God of Affliction.
- Gaddock Teeg: Be prepared for people to hate this deck, because hate bears is coming to edh! Seriously, the commander is one of the biggest hosers in EDH, and he nicely prevents a lot of removal for him here too. And how do you get around his ability to you? Play lots of creatures of course! Oh and whatever you're worried about outside his limiting factors, you get Nevermore. MagicalHacker - Gaddock Teeg.
- Rhys the Redeemed: If there ever was a unique ability, Rhys's second ability would be it. Obviously you can see how creatures will work well with him, but the real win is when you got Illusionist's Bracers equipped, Rings of Brighthearth paid for, and Doubling Season, Parallel Lives, and Primal Vigor all on the battlefield. Just if you're wondering, that makes 342 copies of each token you have. Yeah. MagicalHacker - Rhys the Redeemed (Selesnya).
- Saffi Eriksdotter: She is notorious for being a commander of an infinite combo deck, but when the pieces are basically all creatures, it's gotta feel good getting the win via combat damage too sometimes. Of the pieces, it brings a tear to my eye to see Angel of Glory's Rise used once again. (Oh how I miss the good ol days of human reanimator in standard!) MagicalHacker - Saffi Eriksdotter.
- Edric, Spymaster of Trest: This guy is a power house. Extremely political, this guy gets value if you got cheap unblockable creatures and control cards. Seriously stupid good, especially with a card like Chasm Skulker. MagicalHacker - Edric, Spymaster of Trest.
- Vorel of the Hull Clade: While not as good as some the others on here, it's nice to get lots of counters on everything all the time. Personally, I like how he makes Darksteel Reactor a realistic win con! Anyways, proliferate and +1/+1 shenanigans alike will like this deck, so bring lots of dice. MagicalHacker - Vorel of the Hull Clade.
- Adun Oakenshield: If you were wondering if there was a counterpart to the aforementioned Hanna, well you're in luck. If a threat you play gets killed, no matter, play it again. Tadaaaa. I don't know if there's an infinite combo like with Hanna, mostly because I haven't built this deck yet either, but adding black and green makes self mill more doable, so you've got a commander for a nice toolbox deck if you wish.
- Marath, Will of the Wild: This guy is pretty neat since he can do all the things. In fact, I haven't seen a more versatile commander since Cromat, which says a lot. This guy works really well in killing dudes by giving him deathtouch, elemental tribal, fixing persist creatures, restocking +1/+1 counters on creatures that use them, gaining life by giving him lifelink, proliferating in general, and even being a nuisance with Grafted Exoskeleton! This definitely needs an update but here it is anyways. MagicalHacker - Marath, Will of the Wild.
- Derevi, Empyrial Tactician: I mentioned this in the earlier comment, but Derevi is pretty powerful when it comes to effects that require tapping to make tokens because those tokens can come right back and untap those token makers. Not only that, but they can give you more mana by untapping mana rocks and other stuff. Derevi is known to be pretty powerful, especially when she flashes in pre-combat and taps the nastiest creature before it can attack. Versatile, creature using, control powerhouse. Oh and it never costs more than four. Oh and True Conviction is hilarious. I wish I could feel like I've talked about it enough but alas... MagicalHacker - Derevi, Empyrial Tactician.
- Doran, the Siege Tower: While this one seems strange at first, when you realize you can abuse high toughness creatures while potentially nerfing opponents high power creatures, all in the colors of amazing defenders and ways to let defenders attack, and other "toughness matters" cards like Trostani, Selesnya's Voice, you got a pretty nasty baseline to add control to and call it a day. MagicalHacker - Doran, the Siege Tower.
- Karador, Ghost Chieftain: I know what you're thinking, "He's 8 frickin mana dude!!!" But let me assure that he NEVER costs more than three if you bring forth your gameplan correctly. Lots of ETB abilities or sacrifice abilities makes this toolbox deck amazing, and who could forget about cards like Fauna Shaman? MagicalHacker - Karador, Ghost Chieftain.
- Animar, Soul of Elements: Last but not least, this guy. While lots of people use him for morph shenanigans because he makes them free at 3 counters, I see him more of a creature combo guy. If you play lots of colorless creatures, you can chain them to make them cost little to no mana. If you have a Glimpse of Nature effect first, you can essentially amass a huge army of artifact creatures and Eldrazi for very little loss of cards in your hand and little mana. Think of it like creature storm. MagicalHacker - Animar, Soul of Elements.
Sorry for the long post, but I honestly think these are your best options, so really analyze the commanders, and since I haven't updated the decks in a long time, please look at other peoples decks too. (Keep in mind that the noncontrol versions will be more helpful since any deck can have control added to them, so that can always be done lastly.)
Good luck, and feel free to ask me any more questions about these commanders or other ones. :)
|Power / Toughness||1/1|
|Color(s)||Red Blue Green|
|Avg. cube pick||12.14|
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|MTG: Commander||Mythic Rare|
- Animar, Soul of Elements + Cloudstone Curio + Peregrine Drake
- Animar, Soul of Elements + Palinchron
- Animar, Soul of Elements + Equilibrium
- Animar, Soul of Elements + Sword of Body and Mind + Sword of Fire and Ice
- Animar, Soul of Elements + Glimpse of Nature
- Animar, Soul of Elements + Bond Beetle
- Animar, Soul of Elements + Palinchron + Phantasmal Image
- Animar, Soul of Elements + Forced Adaptation
- Animar, Soul of Elements + Vorel of the Hull Clade
- Animar, Soul of Elements + Glitterfang
- Animar, Soul of Elements + Apocalypse Hydra
- Animar, Soul of Elements + Cloud of Faeries + Cloudstone Curio
- Animar, Soul of Elements + Cloudstone Curio + Rattleclaw Mystic
- Animar, Soul of Elements + Grinning Ignus + Intruder Alarm
- Animar, Soul of Elements + Savageborn Hydra
- Palinchron + Animar, Soul of Elements
- Animar, Soul of Elements + Cloudstone Curio