|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2015 (C15)||Mythic Rare|
|Return to Ravnica (RTR)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Exile the top X cards of your library. For each instant or sorcery with converted mana cost X or less among them, you may cast that card without paying its mana cost. Then put all cards exiled this way that weren't cast into your graveyard.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (24)||Ashy , acbooster , ironax , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , Skydra2 , bakunet , Clawsun73 , Forkbeard , pskinn01 , NobleSlay3r , jparker-sartori21 , sonnet666 , Nemesis , plof , Nebman227 , frederiklw , mziter501 , zn.tportlock , Venser_the_Sojoner , philktoken8998 , Va1mar , thetechzombie , CampbellStev , LTmiller|
Epic Experiment Discussion
2 weeks ago
Akoum Firebird is pretty lacklustre.
Angel of Invention is kind of meh. Like, I appreciate the power but still. Boring.
Reap Intellect is super disappointing. I wanted it to be useful, but unless you can generate six or seven very color specific mana in the first three turns its pretty much useless.
Archangel's Light is the nut on top of the crap heap I think. 2 life/card in the yard, and then it gets rid of your yard...for 8...
As far as good ones go, theres so many.
Rafiq of the Many is near perfectly executed for his shard. Art was great, power level was high but not broken.
Massacre Wurm? Say no more...
But my favourite has to be Grimoire of the Dead. Necromonicon? Come on now...
2 weeks ago
If you want Instant/sorcery tribal, try Epic Experiment. It's absolutely mindblowing because you can cast so many cards off of the top without paying their mana costs if you get the X up high enough.
Personally, if you're making a Melek deck, I'd suggest slimming way down on creatures. Instants and sorceries are the show here, but here are a few creature suggestions, to help with Instant/sorcery casting:Hypersonic Dragon turns all of your sorceries into instants, very good for any Izzet spell-based decks.For sideboard, Baral, Chief of Compliance is something to consider. He gives the nice RU draw/discard ability when you counter something, and he slims the cost on instants/sorceries.Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir not only slows your opponent but makes cards like said Hypersonic Dragon be able to be cast at instant speed.
Now to the spells. They aren't all instants and sorceries, but that is the main focus of the deck.Leyline of Anticipation is just great all around.Cards like Swarm Intelligence are great, especially because if you cast the spell from you library, it stacks with Melek's ability. I noticed you have SI in your deck but there are more like that.Cast Through Time is fun, but it is a bit slow and such.Jace's Sanctum is not only a great early-game spell slimmer, but it also lets you dig a card to put instants and sorceries on top, to allow you to get Melek's trigger.Metallurgic Summonings: This card is absolutely broken in commander. I'll say no more.Mystical Tutor is so broken here it's not even funny.Past in Flames gives everything in your graveyard Flashback, which is so broken. Everything is broken here lol.Spelltwine lets you recast a spell from yours and an opponent's graveyard which is so good. You get something back for free and potentially a huge bomb from some other player's graveyard for free. Auto include right there.Volcanic Vision deals a ton of damage to all creatures and gets you a card back. It's ok, I'm including for fun.
2 weeks ago
Maybe there's a new ruling that I'm not aware of...but if you copy an x-drop like Epic Experiment then for the copy x would be zero; which kind of defeats the purpose of copying it.
3 weeks ago
IMHO the diffrence in cEDH and actaul EDH is that, when I can end the game, I prefer to cast that Epic Experiment for X=9, knowing it probably will make me lose the game. But that's not the end yet. Casual would also let me live one turn more so I can cast that Scrambleverse and probably prolong the game few turns, just for fun. I could already win, but gave up. Others could win, but gave up. No cEDH would give up winning when they could.
3 weeks ago
Mizzix's Mastery and Epic Experiment, I would take out the cluestone and keyrune for signets. Also I would cut back on the creatures you will have enough blockers and possible wincon with Metallurgic Summonings and Talrand, Sky Summoner. Melek is 6 mana you could use to play spells which in my opinion slows down the deck to much. And if you switched Archaeomancer with Mystic Retrieval you could cast for one blue and flashback for one red for the same effect. Past in Flames is and auto include. and if you are looking for another wincon Sphinx-Bone Wand. Not bad for a first attempt. Hope this helps.
4 weeks ago
Thanks! I use Cerulean Wisps as my one-drop-draw simply because of the potential combo with Clout of the Dominus along with it's ability to untap a creature at instant speed makes for a hell of a defensive play!
1 month ago
I wrote a bit comment and it got eaten by TappedOut. So, apologies for the brevity on this rewrite. These are a few suggestions based on a similar deck of mine.
- Mind's Desire and Temporal Fissure are both excellent storm payoffs. The former is one of the best hits from Epic Experiment and the latter can bounce every land as a pseudo Time Walk if you need to swing with tokens.
- Sphinx-Bone Wand and Docent of Perfection Flip are two additional options for win-cons if you so desire.
- Pull from the Deep and Mystic Retrieval are good options for re-casting your rituals/untap effects
- More free spells like Frantic Search or Rewind might be worth it. The latter can at worst counter your own spells with High Tide.
- I personally really like Eye of the Storm. It's expensive, it can backfire, but if you untap with it, it's almost impossible to lose. It goes effectively infinite with a lot of cards.
- Mizzix of the Izmagnus is almost definitely worth it.
- I think the 1-shot token producers are probably not that great. They're reasonably good with Purphoros, but I don't think that's worth 6 slots in the deck. Don't worry about creature count in Melek. A lot of Melek decks actually go creatureless for the Proteus Staff combo.
- Phyrexian Altar is probably really borderline unless you're running something like Fall of the Titans to just win without having to go an extra turn by saccing out all of your Empty the Warrens tokens.
- Strionic Resonator is at best a very situational fork in Melek. It's probably better to spend your mana on a cheap cantrip / draw spell like Gitaxian Probe or Treasure Cruise.
- Echo Mage is really expensive and vulnerable for its effect. You have to pump 7 mana and wait a turn to copy 1 spell. At that point, you're probably better off casting Eye of the Storm.