|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander Anthology (CM1)||Common|
|Commander 2015 (C15)||Common|
|Commander 2014 (C14)||Common|
|Commander 2013 (C13)||Common|
|Duel Decks: Garruk vs. Liliana (DDD)||Common|
|Beatdown Box Set (BTD)||Common|
|Urza's Saga (USG)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Slippery Karst enters the battlefield tapped.
: Add to your mana pool.
Cycling (, Discard this card: Draw a card.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (10)||richardmv , ZombieFood , frederiklw , bakunet , sombrevivo , killstars , Reliva , shinobigarth , XxCataclysmiCxX , Forge|
|Want (13)||dansface , TiredTofu , cainanunes , twospires , correcthorsebatterystaple , Kronos_EXE , Moonling , Supremespeed , Sonlin , cvillpunk , Victorp99 , Commander_Archer , Orphanbeater|
Slippery Karst Discussion
3 months ago
Like many of us I'm sure, I'm considering a Muldrotha, the Gravetide build and came across an interesting conundrum.
I could run 12 cycling lands in the deck:
I'd almost certainly not run the less efficient Blasted Landscape and with Ash Barrens and Fetid Pools occupying a different sort of design space (and basically being shoo-ins!) I wondered about the pros and cons of the others.
costing // OR // OR raises the question of what is the most useful or most efficient, whether indeed they all have a place.
What is everyone's thoughts on these various cycling types, how/if they belong in this commander, or others and why? I've looked for discussion on this on Google and have come up with very little so if anyone has links they can post too that would be interesting...
Felix_Culpa on Meren
9 months ago
Oh gosh it's kinda bad. Let's start by removing the following:
A meren deck is built for attrition. You want lots of utility creatures and spells to reanimate, recur, sacrifice, and shuffle around for control and to get ahead. Discard effects are very weak in multiplayer, and alot of the cards mentioned have better options. You may notice I took out alot of big creatures. As Meren, you want to hold the game up and smile as everyones eyes go wider and wider as you gradually pull far ahead and beat them to death. Control recursion utility Value
9 months ago
I like the idea of the deck a lot! :D I think you should try to improve the mana curve though, most of your creatures have a very high cost, so you might not be able to use them when you need to. Also, some cards don't seem like they would be very useful in this deck for example, Ishkanah, Grafwidow Vedalken Orrery and Subterranean Hangar, and in some cases, could even be counter productive, like with Gleancrawler (or Nighthowler, Lord of Extinction and Bonehoard depending on your strategy) These cards cost too much, and don't do enough to help your deck. I'd also replace lands like Barren Moor, Slippery Karst and Tranquil Thicket with their basic land counterpart.
10 months ago
11 months ago
I like the super budget, but still effective deck. I'd immediately add Drownyard Temple, which you can sacrifice to Gitrog and then pay 3 to get it back.
Other suggestions for lands would be to add all of the black/green/colorless cycle lands (i.e. Polluted Mire, Slippery Karst, Tranquil Thicket, Barren Moor, Ash Barrens, Blasted Landscape, Desert of the Indomitable, and Desert of the Glorified. I'd also consider any of the lands that either sacrifice to get you more mana or lands Evolving Wilds/Jund Panorama None of them are more than $0.20 or so on TCG Player, and are super available. There are way more than this, but these are the ones you're most likely to find for cheap, and avoids fetch lands.
I won't tell you how to build your deck, but this is definitely a way to add some extra card draw and advantage to your deck.
11 months ago
Good deck! One thing I would do is add more lands with cycling like Slippery Karst and Smoldering Crater. Another thing you could do is add lands that have non-mana abilities, like Mosswort Bridge and Contested Cliffs. These changes would make the deck much better if you get manaflooded. Adding Sol Ring would also help a lot with the manabase. Hope this helps.
1 year ago
Hey Jimmy_Chinchila, thanks for looking at the deck and for giving some tips!
Many of the cards you mention I have considered or tested before. But in my tweaking an balancing I've decided on other similar cards most of the time. Let me give you some thoughts I have about the cards you mention:
- Exploration doesn't do a lot for the deck spot, as we already get our commander to do it. It's useful, but not required. Burgeoning does have that additional edge.
- Slippery Karst is great. However, the land base in this deck is super tight. I now play the HOU desert instead because of the synergy with Scavenger Grounds and I don't have room for more cycle lands atm.
- Animist awakening is a worse Genesis Wave or Traverse the Outlands in my experience and not worth the spot.
- High Market is usefull, but not s useful as the other utility lands. I prefer Radiant Fountain for lifegain in this deck.
- I used to run Oblivion Sower, but it whifs quite often. And in play it's just a big vanilla creature. I felt it wasn't strong enough in this deck.
- The nexi are good cards, but I don't run that many ways to make them bigger. I don't see enough synergy here to make me cut existing lands
- Buried Ruin and Tectonic Edge are useful, but again, it would be hard to find room in the deck for them. I already have 3 other lands I would to iclude ;) (see my last update)
- talking about that update, I've just cut Sensei's Divining Top and put back in Rishkar's Expertise. Top is indeed nice, but most of the time it doesn't provide me the cardadvantage I need. It might find its way back someday, if I find something to cut for it.
Again, thanks for the tips. It shows me there is just so much cool stuff to throw in a land deck that it comes to to making difficult choices ;). Hope I've given some insight into my decion making.
1 year ago
Nice build! +1
Some possibilities you may like: Exploration, Slippery Karst, Animist's Awakening, High Market (token sac), Inkmoth Nexus, Blinkmoth Nexus, Oblivion Sower, Into the Wilds, Buried Ruin, Tectonic Edge, Greenwarden of Murasa, Sensei's Divining Top (for Courser of Kruphix)