|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Khans of Tarkir (KTK)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Howl of the Horde
When you cast your next instant or sorcery spell this turn, copy that spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.
Raid — If you attacked with a creature this turn, when you cast your next instant or sorcery spell this turn, copy that spell an additional time. You may choose new targets for the copy.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (27)||ironax , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , RPG_FOX , Wolfebladeelite , _raeofsunlight , saj0219 , pskinn01 , sneferie , rockleemyhero , gildan_bladeborn , bradyofportdetroit , Ashy , rikertchu , Lindough , Caldazar , Wolfninja , Antiat , Dr_Jay , ThisIsBullshit , ChainerDragon65 , DarkMagician , Regulus1010 , Famicomania , philktoken8998 , thetechzombie , Unlife , darthnuchi|
Howl of the Horde Discussion
6 days ago
What? If you cast Howl of the Horde and then cast Reverberate before howl can resolve you don't get any copies of Reverb. What are you on about? Howl has to resolve in order for any of its effects to go off, at which point it is no longer on the stack and not a legal target for Reverb.
6 days ago
Experienced players probably found it as an annoying mechanic and just one more tedious thing to keep track of, while new players who were just learning the mechanics of the game found it overwhelming and often conflicting with preconceived ideas of how the game works.
There's, in my opinion, really three modes of experience among players. Casual, knowledgeable, and professional.
Casual players know the basic phases, that you tap lands to cast spells, and that you basically just announce that you want to do something and people let you do it. You may find someone casting a Lightning Bolt when they feel like it and everyone just assumes it works. These people probably found the Haunt mechanic confusing.
Knowledgeable players understand the stack, the various steps in each phase, how to manipulate their cards to generate the biggest turnout, and are able to recall rules for their defense. For example; If I attack with a creature during my Combat Phase and during my 2nd Main Phase I cast Howl of the Horde, followed by a Reverberate, do you know what happens? Well, Reverberate is copied twice (So three spells are on the stack) and I use all three to target Howl of the Horde. Here's where things get interesting... Howl of the Horde specifically says that it's the next spell which is copied. Reverberate WAS my next spell, so it is copied twice (Plus the original). Since the stack is First-In / Last-Out, this means that my three Reverberates all resolve first. I need to legally target a spell I control, so I target Howl of the Horde, as it has not technically yet resolved (Since Reverberate is on the stack last, it's the first to be checked off the list). This means that I now have three Howl of the Horde, all with their Raid trigger waiting to kick off. I ask my opponent if they respond, they say no, so I cast Lightning Bolt for 27 damage. These types of players have no issue understanding the Haunt mechanic whatsoever.
Professional players can be either Casual or Knowledgeable, and they probably just found it cumbersome because it really held no true place in tournaments. Too much to keep track of, and not worth the resources in card space in a library nor the mana to cast. It simply was not a worth-while nor game-shifting mechanic.
2 weeks ago
OK, now for cuts:
- Howl of the Horde is only really good in a deck that youre going to be attacking a lot. 3 mana for a Fork is too much here.
- Talrand's Invocation likewise doesnt do a lot. 4 mana for 2 2/2 fliers is bad in EDH, and 6 mana for 4 2/2 fliers with Riku isnt great either.
- Telemin Performance just doesnt do a lot.
- world of war is also mainly only good in attacking decks, and most of your win conditions are combos.
- Fabricate is good, but you dont have a lot of artifacts that are critical to your deck.
- Chandra, the Firebrand is also pretty much a 4-mana Fork, which still isnt great here.
- Desertion is good, but its just too much mana for a counterspell.
- Hinder was mainly used when the tuck rule was still in effect, where you couldnt return you commander to the command zone if it got put into your deck somehow. Now, its become outdated. Same with Spell Crumple.
- Increasing Vengeance is good, and could very well belong here, but Im not a huge fan.
- Counterflux, Plasm Capture, Void Shatter and Voidslime are also fairly expensive for counterspells in a deck that isnt hard-control.
- Manalith is too easily outclassed by other mana rocks.
- Archaeomancer is possibly too much mana for the effect. This one is more of a personal preference, but it could very well belong here. Im just not a huge fan.
- Melek, Izzet Paragon is also too much mana for too little reward.
In case you didn't notice, there's a little bit of a theme with the above cards. None of them are bad cards, but in most cases, you're spending too much mana for an effect you can get much cheaper with another card. Or, some of them just don't belong in the typical Riku build.
Well, in any case, thats all I have for now. If youd like some other comments (perhaps youd rather not run so many infinite combos), feel absolutely free to comment on my wall again; Id be happy to make another pass. Enjoy!
1 month ago
May I suggest a card or two?
Here we go xD
Earthquake, Vandalblast , Caged Sun( it's 6 euros, so you can look the other way xD) , Combustible Gearhulk is also an nice card-advantage - burn , Browbeat, Fault Line, Fireball, Howl of the Horde is one of my best finishers,(3x damage outta nowhere) Wheel of Fate will get the draw engine going, I find Ruination very useful against those 3-5 coloured decks. Finally, I find Mind's Eye very easy to get on the field and very useful, especially late game. I hope I suggested some useful cards xD
1 month ago
Cheaper cards cash-wise:
Flamebreak, Comet Storm, Howl of the Horde, Hostility, Price of Progress, Furnace of Rath, Past in Flames, Mana Geyser, Viashino Heretic, Dualcaster Mage, Thermo-Alchemist, Dictate of the Twin Gods and Guttersnipe
1 month ago
No problem! Also, I would try to cut down to 60 cards. My cuts would be Lightning Strike, a Mountain, Isochron Scepter, and Searing Spear. If you can find something to replace it with, I would also cut Howl of the Horde.
2 months ago
2 months ago
Draw all the burn!