Creature — Hydra
Primordial Hydra enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
At the beginning of your upkeep, double the amount of +1/+1 counters on Primordial Hydra.
Primordial Hydra has trample as long as it has ten or more +1/+1 counters on it.
|Have (2)||Forkbeard , metalmagic|
|Want (8)||Golgoroth , 1Doogan1 , asealey , chrawley , Rodurt , NoxxFlame , hardeknud , Thesurcharge|
Printings View all
|Magic 2013 (M13)||Mythic Rare|
|2012 Core Set (M12)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Primordial Hydra occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%
Primordial Hydra Discussion
4 days ago
1 week ago
The are a few reasons why I removed Primordial Hydra the first being that far too often I would pull it off of the top of my library when activating Golos, Tireless Pilgrim which means I cast him for 0 on "X".
Lastly, I feel like the deck does not interact with Primordial Hydra as well as other decks that abuse "X" costs do. It felt like I was trying to keep the hydra in the deck to stay on upkeep theme.
Now that I have Privileged Position in the deck, I can now better protect cards like Solitary Confinement, Form of the Dragon, and Paradox Haze which are all very big targets for removal for my opponents.
1 month ago
Hey, nice start with a high budget.
Sultai is the best color combination for ramp, tutors and draw in Commander. My advice with a $700+ budget is to take more advantage of these. There's nothing wrong with a few Hydras, but most of them are the lackluster cards in the deck. Zaxara being a four drop can benefit from more fast ramp especially one drop mana dorks.
Carpet of Flowers is powerful repeatable ramp in multiplayer Commander. Mystery Booster Card set version is down to $15.
More tutors and repeatable draw sources let you cut some subpar X spells instead tutor for and/or draw into the better spells. Mystic Remora and Rhystic Study are two of the best sources of repeatable draw in multiplayer Commander. More one drop mana dorks and Zaxara creates tokens is good as fodder for Diabolic Intent.
Cards to consider cutting:
- Kodama's Reach
- Primordial Hydra
- Protean Hydra
- Vastwood Hydra
- Gargos, Vicious Watcher
- Hungering Hydra
- Genesis Hydra
- Icy Blast
- Profane Command
- Overwhelming Stampede
Good luck with your deck.
2 months ago
Depends on your deck but when I drop Herald I always become target number one in my proliferate deck. I was running atrax but switched to bant proliferate to be different. Anyways I am not sure about the rest of your deck but when I drop creatures like Kalonian Hydra and Jenara, Asura of War Managorger HydraPrimordial Hydra hearld is 500 ties better than Abzan. Really comes down to deck but I prefer herald
Here's my deck if interested +1/+1 Counter/Proliferate
3 months ago
- Shimmerwing Chimera >> Eidolon of Blossoms
- Cold-Eyed Selkie >> Destiny Spinner
- Jace, Wielder of Mysteries >> Oko, the Trickster
- The Magic Mirror >> Song of Freyalise
- Annul >> Swan Song
- Island >> Hinterland Harbor
- Island >> Novijen, Heart of Progress
- Island >> Karn's Bastion
- Island >> Breeding Pool
- Island >> Evolving Wilds
- Island >> Terramorphic Expanse
- Kiora Bests the Sea God >> Primeval Bounty
- Kumena's Awakening >> Bow of Nylea
- Combine Guildmage >> Simic Guildmage
- Stroke of Genius >> Enigmatic Incarnation
- The First Iroan Games >> Master Biomancer
- Thada Adel, Acquisitor >> Kalonian Hydra
- Nessian Hornbeetle >> Avatar of the Resolute
- Folio of Fancies >> Zameck Guildmage
- Thirst for Meaning >> Courser of Kruphix
- Archetype of Imagination >> Primordial Hydra
- Regenesis >> Arasta of the Endless Web
- Prosperity >> Nylea, God of the Hunt
3 months ago
Forgotten Ancient insanely good with Corpsejack Menace Primordial Hydra counters quadruple every turn Bioshift lets us put our 8 +1/+1 counters on another creature so it gets + 16/16 Then use Essence Harvest for the win
4 months ago
Since Questing Beast is a legendary creature i don't think you should have 4 since you will need to sacrifice it when more than one enters the battlefield. Since your deck is so late game I would limit the numbers for each legendary creature to 2 since you will still most get each of those creatures over the coarse of the game at some point (this also applies to Yorvo, Lord of Garenbrig ). Also the hydra you picked for this deck seems a lot weaker than most hydra cards you could have picked like Primordial Hydra because you can only double the strength of Voracious Hydra once yet the strength of the Primordial Hydra doubles every turn.
5 months ago
Omnath as main damage outlet (Go Tall)
- Plenty of creature based mana ramp from elves like Greenweaver Druid , Selvala, Heart of the Wilds , and Oracle of Mul Daya as well as all the classic elf ramp cards like Llanowar Elves
- Mana ramp sorcery spells like Tempt with Discovery and Traverse the Outlands
- Increase Mana generation from each land per turn with cards like Doubling Cube , Vernal Bloom , Wilderness Reclamation , Bear Umbra , Caged Sun , and Nature's Will
- Increase the Mana generation from each tapped creature each turn from cards like Leyline of Abundance , and increase the amount of mana gained by having more elves with cards like Wirewood Channeler , Rishkar, Peema Renegade , Priest of Titania , and Joraga Treespeaker .
- Increase both of the above with Seedborn Muse , which, along with Tempt with Discovery , only gets stronger the more opponents you have.
Elf synergy as secondary source of damage (Go Wide)
- Pump elves with other elves with help of cards like Elvish Archdruid , Elvish Champion , Ezuri, Renegade Leader Imperious Perfect , and Joraga Warcaller
- Elf token creation with cards with Elvish Promenade , Freyalise, Llanowar's Fury , and Imperious Perfect
Protection for both commander and high value Elves
- Basic equipment like Lightning Greaves , Swiftfoot Boots , Darksteel Plate , and Whispersilk Cloak to slow down or stop removal
- Asceticism , Stonehoof Chieftain , Archetype of Endurance , and Vigor as creatures and enchantments to protect your board.
Win Condition enablers
- Helix Pinnacle to use up mana on if Omnath is ever about to be destroyed.
- Triumph of the Hordes for trample and infect for a fast win combines with other trample abilities from cards like Stonehoof Chieftain , and Ezuri, Renegade Leader to allow you to force damage through.
- Hydra's like Primordial Hydra and Hydra Broodmaster provide other mana outlets to instantly set up fast overwhelming armies.