|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Iconic Masters (IMA)||Rare|
|Masterpiece Series: Amonkhet Invocations (AKHMPS)||None|
Combos Browse all
Target player reveals his or her hand. You choose a nonland card from it. That player discards that card. You lose 2 life.
|Want (11)||mocaba , termain , Lightfellow , Douten , MrLafogata , kaboomeow , Jeffron , Cypher10110 , aolmenki , Bandit73 , Lander271|
15 hours ago
Either max your island count or remove Mystic Sanctuary
Drown in the Loch is pretty bad in pioneer unless you're milling your opponent, IMO
Cut big tef, go up to 3x t3f
Also wants Opt
Regardless of how you run the mana, you'll want Fabled Passage and/or checklands
There's potential, here. Cheers!
2 days ago
Looks fun - I especially like the use of Charming Prince, very clever! Not sure how I feel about Eerie Interlude though - you can gain a bunch of life with it, but the only real value I'd say you get from it is flickering a rhino. I'm also not in love with the Obzedat inclusion - I see how it's on the lifegain/etb/drain theme, but it's so big and clunky and slow compared to the rest of the kit you've built here. If I were you, I'd cut both Interludes and both Obzedats for 4x
. Plays better with the aggressive list you've built and still takes advantage of the panharmonicon effect.
24 lands is also pretty high for a list like this - I'd consider going down to 23 or 22. You can fill those extra slots with the last Thoughtseize and/or the last Assassin's Trophy .
5 days ago
Thoughtseize is hella expensive, and Kolaghan's Command is only slightly cheaper. Might give Kozilek a chance though.
6 days ago
Thanks so much for commenting!!
After Standard rotated (with the Ixalan block no longer being legal), I stopped playing Standard and haven’t been back since — I haven’t played the format with Core 2020 or Throne of Eldraine. Mostly this was because I could no longer play my Pirates!!
Then, Pioneer popped up, and just like you, it got me thinking. I haven’t thrown a list together yet, but I had considered upgrading these Pirates and seeing how they’d do in the new environment.
I would LOVE to have a discussion with you on how to upgrade this decklist for the new format. Send me a PM here on Tappedout, and maybe we can do a Google Hangouts or whatever and have an actual chat about it!
I don’t really have much of an idea about the Pioneer metagame. Is it even settled yet into smallish group of dominant strategies, or is it still wide open? I honestly have not been paying much attention.
Since Pioneer is basically Return to Ravnica forward, minus fetch lands, here are my initial thoughts right off the bat:
Mainboard Duress moves aside for the full playset of Thoughtseize . When they reprinted this in Theros, I immediately thought it would be absurd in an aggressive shell, and Pirates is perfect for that. Given the incredible performance of Drill Bit as auxiliary hand disruption out of the sideboard (we only run in when we are on the play or against hard Control), I’d say we would be happy to mainboard 4 copies of Thoughtseize .
Mana Confluence : Maybe run four of these over Dragonskull Summit ? If we can reduce the probability of playing taplands (and therefore having slow starts that could cost us games) to 0%, I feel like we would be well-served. When I did lose games with this deck, over half the time I’d say it was to drawing awkward mana and having too many Summits coming in tapped. If the meta is aggressive or burn-heavy, we might want to think twice before running so much pain in our mana base, but it’s worth considering.
Rending Volley : Possible sideboard option? Don’t know the meta but this is a fairly good color hoser. The other card in this Dragons of Tarkir cycle that we have access to, Self-Inflicted Wound , comes to mind as well, but it doesn’t strike me as a competitive enough to be playable in Pioneer.
Ob Nixilis's Cruelty : I think this is still a really good removal spell for the sideboard. Deals with indestructible, stops graveyard strategies and reanimation, and gets things with 5 toughness off of the board ( Siege Rhino comes to mind here). What do you think?
Sorcerous Spyglass vs. Phyrexian Revoker : As a creature, Revoker is squishier and easier to kill, but it does advance our clock faster against control and combo decks because it can attack. Losing the ability to peek at the opponent’s hand is also a drawback, but with hand disruption and Game 1 information, we should already have a pretty good idea of what the opponent has and is relying on. Revoker can also turn off mana dorks, since his ability does cover mana abilities, so that’s an upside too. This gives us some play against ramp decks, and since Elvish Mystic and Llanowar Elves are in the format, I’d say we might want to have an extra card against ramp!
March of the Drowned : I still think this is one of best cards against grindy matchups and Control decks, and depending on how Pioneer’s meta is, we might even want to play more than two copies. It’s a really cheap and efficient reanimation card for Pirates.
Kolaghan's Command : This card seems too good to ignore for the sideboard. Extra removal, hand disruption, reanimation and artifact hate on one card? I’d say it’s better than Angrath's Rampage even though it costs more (and it is an instant, too).
New Pirates?: I know Core 2020 added Glint-Horn Buccaneer , which at 3 mana and 4 toughness is very interesting and within our curve. It’s far sturdier than all our other creatures, does have haste, and causes incremental damage when we discard a card to its ability. This could be very useful against Control or grindy midrange in particular, since it can help us get through land pockets if we run into one. Against aggro matchups, it blocks fairly well if we are on the ropes. Definitely not a bad Pirate or a bad three-drop. But what to cut for it? Is it just a sideboard piece too? Or do we skip it? Also, are there other new Pirates in these colors that I am overlooking?
Anyway, those are my initial thoughts. Shoot me a private message and I’ll give you my gmail and maybe we can link up and have a real discussion! I agree with you that there is real potential here! Thanks for your interest and have a great day!!
1 week ago
What I would do to add a little bit of consistency is add a single Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth . Also I would try turning your Abrade and Bedevil into Kolaghan's Command they are easier to cast and have 4 modes. I would turn Dreadbore and Kalitas into Murderous Rider so you have three copies. Maybe turn the Ritual of Soot into Languish and through them in the sideboard and fill them with another Thoughtseize and Murderous Rider . I would also turn the Search for Azcanta Flip into Jace, Vryn's Prodigy Flip.
Best of luck to you sir and I hope you dominate your OGS.
1 week ago
I would suggest dropping 2 Diregraf Ghoul (Leaving you still with 10 1 drops) and adding 2 more Thoughtseize . Depending on your meta, I would also suggest Fatal Push over Spark Harvest . Also adding 1 or 2 Castle Locthwain over swamps costs nothing and may win you a game or 2. 2-4 Liliana, Untouched By Death would help with your late game. You may be able to cut Dark Salvation for it.
I like the deck! The Zombie tribe is one of my favorites.
1 week ago
Dark confidant is not good having 4 creatures with cmc 5 and 4 creatures with cmc 4.
between 10 and 11 fetches is the normal average for 3 color rock decks like jund.
The reason why I don't run a lot of removals is that I need a lot of permanents for devotion. In total i need between 40 and 45 black symbols in my whole deck. Also, this is the reason why I don't add any other creatures (outside of Tarmogoyf that does not have black symbols.
1 week ago
- Jund is amazing in every way except for you wallet. That is the worst part of jund. Discard spells impower your Tarmogoyf so running those is super important. Enough to want more Thoughtseize
- Dark Confidant is really good. It helps fight back the down side of discard cards. would recommand, and its early black devotion. Even when we take 5 on Gary when we cast him we heal so there is up side. Getting closer to our win con is always better. We dont need 20 life to win only 1.
- Scavenging Ooze is pretty powerful, you do have rest in peace in the SB but its still worth considering.
- Plague Engineer can help as well. Id play only one though. I see some decks play Murderous Rider as well as a one of.
- Collective Brutality is a very powerful card. I have been on the receiving end many times and lost because of the value this card gets you.
- I would recommend more removal. Espically at least 1x Abrupt Decay and one more Assassin's Trophy . Id be even more comfortable playing 2 more Fatal Push .
- The Reasons for blue: oko,3/3 elks, oko, and filtering with Snap caster. Unless you fight a lot of burn dont go blue.
- Reasons for red: Bolt is Life (cheap removal), Blood braid value (remember she was banned for some time), and wrenn and six. Jund is much more powerful than this build. That being said its not the archtype, and its wayyyyy more spendy.
- For land you want at least to "horizon lands" such as Nurturing Peatland and fast lands such as Blooming Marsh . Field of Ruin can also really help.
- Kitchen Finks is a great SB card and so is Fulminator Mage . Most play Nihil Spellbomb but you have white so you dont need this. By adding all this removal you wont need Damnation in your SB.
- Not a big fan of Mishra's Bauble or Grim Flayer . 10 Fetches is also a little high i would consider cutting down on those. To 6 or 8.
- You are abzan so i will say Worship is a card Giver of Runes Path to Exile and Angel's Grace are cards. As well as Siege Rhino . White also gets you Vizier of Remedies + Devoted Druid for infinite mana. - Tireless Tracker is also a good card draw engine although its not black.
- Other cards to consider Postmortem Lunge Eladamri's Call Finale of Devastation Sin Collector Eidolon of Rhetoric and Collector Ouphe
Thoughtseize occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.69%
All decks: 1.7%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%