|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Masters 25 (A25)||Rare|
|Conspiracy (CNS)||Mythic Rare|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
, Sacrifice Pernicious Deed: Destroy each artifact, creature, and enchantment with converted mana cost X or less.
Pernicious Deed Discussion
4 days ago
Muldrotha really isn't a spellslinger deck. She wants permanents to recycle from the graveyard and right now you have almost nothing to recur without waiting for your opponents to kill it first, just Pernicious Deed , a couple of fetches and a relatively small number of planeswalkers. Honestly, this list looks like it goes better in Tasigur or maybe Atraxa.
For each permanent type you'll want a few targets to recycle for value and you can find replacements for some of your instants and sorceries with permanents that produce a similar effect. For example, cut Farseek and sub in Wayfarer's Bauble and/or Expedition Map and pull Chemister's Insight for Witching Well . Seal of Primordium for a disenchant each turn, etc.
I've kept Muldrotha in the 99 of my Tasigur deck that is less instant/sorcery heavy than this deck and I've come close to pulling her out as too often she's been a vanilla 6/6 for 6. Without building a lot more around her strengths, I think you'll be very disappointed in how the deck performs.
1 week ago
Thanks for the input Bighimmy!
So I've gone through the list and my understanding is that you mean proactive interaction/removal. So from the deck list thus far there is:
- Assassin's Trophy
- Beast Within
- Windgrace's Judgement
- Pernicious Deed
- World Shaper
- Acidic Slime
For boardwipes there are:
Now for some of the other options I've gone through in the past I personally don't feel like a few of them are really worth it, and feel free to discuss these since there's always going to be something that I'm missing or haven't really thought about. My thoughts on:
- Chaos Warp : This is an attractive option, it deals with anything and you can even use it on your own permanents to try and spin into something more useful. It means that certain threats don't go to the graveyard (for reanimation or death triggers) and can get lost in the deck. However, from past experience I'm much more a fan of Assassin's Trophy as you can then Bojuka Bog to exile the threat along with the rest of the graveyard. This is a less risky option, and I completely understand why people go to it but I know I'll be kicking myself once a Chaos Warp turns a threat into a bigger threat.
- Gaze of Granite : Pernicious Deed just does everything that Gaze of Granite does that much better with the only exception being planeswalkers. You don't have to sink all your mana into the casting (so if it gets countered it's not a complete loss) and furthermore you can use Pernicious Deed at instant speed, which is a massive way to interact with non-creature permanent-based strategies (such as enchantments and artifacts).
- Go for the Throat / Doom Blade / Dismember / Abrupt Decay : I'm not a massive fan of conditional removal in commander because my rule of thumb is that the broadest answer is the best answer the vast majority of cases.
- Putrefy : for the longest time I played this in the deck before Ravnica Allegiances rolled around and Bedevil took its place. The ability to interact with planeswalkers is fantastic, but the key thing I think is that the inability to regenerate clause from Putrefy isn't of massive concern for this deck for a couple of reasons. Firstly regeneration isn't particularly common, and when it is you're dealing with Asceticism in which case you're not Putrefying anything. Otherwise you have access to Damnation which doesn't allow regeneration and Toxic Deluge which also doesn't allow regeneration.
- Force of Vigor : I started playing this in my Ayula, Queen Among Bears commander deck and in mono green it is the best answer to a lot of early game and late game threats. Current this deck has 42 green cards so there's no shortage of fodder to play this for free on your opponent's turn, but I'm unsure as to what this supercedes in the deck currently.
- Casualties of War : as a budget option this is fine but the sorcery speed makes this lacklustre.
- Noxious Revival : This was on the radar for a while when I was concerned about getting Glacial Chasm destroyed and then getting exiled, however there is not really a reliable way to recur this effect, and it is not particularly powerful (though has some utility due to being able to play it at instant speed for nothing). My other concern was that it requires an additional step to get it into hand, so if you draw it for turn, you would need a way to draw an additional card to then get whatever you need from the graveyard to your hand. As a redundant effect for Eternal Witness I understand, however I think it is too much of a corner case and I would be more of a fan of Regrowth -like as you will have access massive amounts of excess mana from Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth + Cabal Coffers . I imagine something like this will come along some time in the near future, it's only a matter of time.
- Red Elemental Blast / Pyroblast / Guttural Response : I find that this angle of interaction is far too narrow to really be applicable unless you know there is a very high chance of versing counterspells in your local meta. This is why I find that Boseiju, Who Shelters All is a better solution to this problem, primarily because it can be searched off abilities and deals with the majority of effects while being difficult to interact with itself. Now the way your opponents can get around this is effects like Venser, Shaper Savant , Narset's Reversal or any other Unsubstantiate -type abilities. I learned to simply accept this as a weakness of the deck given the colours. The archetype is rather weak to its inability to interact with the stack, but I think there are more unconventional ways around this, such as Contamination to punish their mana base or by waiting until your counter-laden opponents are tapped out from trying to deal with each other. I think that this is a fair trade off for this deck being difficult to interact with.
The main weakness of this deck I believe is its inability to deal with mill and combo effectively, vulnerability to bounce effects on the stack like Venser, Shaper Savant and counterspells. I've found that these weaknesses can be reduced with a couple of strategies:
- Playing some political cards Pir's Whim + Tempt with Discovery + Rites of Flourishing to try and ameliorate the board (and not draw the ire of anyone who might have a counter available),
- Building up a solid land base from both a deckbuilding and play perspective to support a late-game comeback due to the lack of cards that effectively interact with land-base strategies, and
- The ability to play around counterspells and interaction, such as Boseiju, Who Shelters All and reliance on using abilities rather than just spells.
So after a little more testing, Elvish Reclaimer is an absolute house in being able to effectively Crop Rotation each turn to more reliable tutor out either ramping or utility land. The summoning sickness issue means that again this does not pull this deck back from the brink in the late game, but as an early game drop it provides access to both stocking the graveyard for Lord Windgrace and fixing mana for the later game. I regret my initial skepticism on this addition and think it is a great upgrade for the deck.
I am planning on adding in Korvold, Fae-Cursed King shortly because I think another Gitrog Monster will be welcome here. I think I'll finally have to pull the trigger on cutting Zuran Orb , it's been there since the start...
2 weeks ago
That first post is far and away the best advice you've gotten. Very solid advice from top to bottom.
Animate Dead and Necromancy definitely deserve spots. The ability to significantly reduce the cost of creatures from your grave over and over is disgusting. Pernicious Deed is another suggestion they made that's an absolute all-star here.
Feel free to check out my list for ideas. Upvotes on any of my decks are appreciated. Muldrotha's Madhouse - No Infinite
2 weeks ago
Nice deck. I do have a few suggestions though and I'll try to break it down by card type.
Lands: Crystal Vein and Cephalid Coliseum are both excellent options here that're budget friendly. Command Beacon is expensive (thanks entirely to Muldrotha) but worth it's weight in gold here (essentially never pay commander tax).
Enchantments: Bear Umbra is worth it just for the totem armor but the land untap is amazing here and allows you to really get creative with your turns. Animate Dead and Necromancy let you significantly cheat mana costs over and over. Pernicious Deed is also nuts here.
I'll just leave off here. Let me know if you're picking up what I'm putting down, I have plenty more suggestions. Here's a link to my Muldrotha deck, it's one of the top rated on this site. Upvotes on any of my decks are appreciated. Muldrotha's Madhouse - No Infinite
3 weeks ago
Hey, nice upgrade of the precon.
I think you're relying too much on basic lands thus going to have problems with color fixing. I see Fetch lands, but there's no Shock lands? Adding Command Tower , Overgrown Tomb , Stomping Ground and Blood Crypt can help the manabase. I don't see Sol Ring ? Is there a reason you're not playing Sol?
Consider Life from the Loam ? It's very good with Windgrace's ability to discard a land to draw another card. Loam can keep your hand full of lands to get value from Windgrace. It's damn efficient since with dredge it can keep coming back to your hand.
Consider Anger ? It can be discarded with Windgrace and there's plenty of ways here to get a Mountain in your control. Depths and Inkmoth can benefit from more sources of haste. This is helpful if using Windgrace to reanimate these lands. Genesis is good with dredge and it can be discarded by Windgrace. It's a repeatable way to recur creatures.
Consider Gamble ? I presume since there's no Demonic Tutor here that this card is not within the budget? Gamble can also tutor for any one card. Consider Abrupt Decay and Chaos Warp ? All Commander decks need some kind of instant low mana cost (1-3 CMC) removal. It sucks, but decks need to make room for some of these cards.
Consider Jokulhaups and main deck Obliterate ? They're nasty with Windgrace since they don't destroy Planeswalkers and he can reanimate your lands that are destroyed. Consider Pernicious Deed ? Deed doesn't destroy Planeswalkers or lands, but everything else and you can control how much mana you put into it.
Cards to consider cutting:
- Gods' Eye, Gate to the Reikai
- Oran-Rief, the Vastwood
- Uncage the Menagerie
- Sword of the Animist
- Dual Casting
- Path of Discovery
- Undergrowth Champion
- Corpsejack Menace
- Parallel Lives
- Unbound Flourishing
- Primal Vigor
- Primordial Hydra
I don't think cards that interact with +1/+1 counters for creatures are good enough with Windgrace because Windgrace is not a creature making these cards dead cards with just him. Cards such as Evolution and Season interact with counters not just with creatures, but also with Planeswalkers this makes them much better with Windgrace and worth playing. Good luck with your deck.
1 month ago
Pernicious Deed 100% needs a spot.
Feel free to check out my list for inspiration. It ain't cheap but it's one of the top rated Muldrotha lists on this site. Upvotes on any of my decks are appreciated. Muldrotha's Madhouse - No Infinite
2 months ago
I'm not sure what you play group finds "degenerate" so I can't make some suggestions but here are some cards. drop the number of lands you are playing by like 3 and instead put in mana dorks.
now here is the part where im not sure is degenerate
Dream Halls (works for you and your opponents, and yes you can cast stuff from your graveyard or even muldrotha)
To be honest i would remove most cards above like 5cmc in your deck but I don't know your meta...how are you supposed to win with this deck? besides just board-wiping for 5 with Pernicious Deed or a 5/6 card combos i dont see how you win...or is that the point?
it confuses me how you/your playgroup says no degenerate combos and yet you have all the pieces except the fast mana for a competitive deck. you might want to get people to proxy out cards to just play competitive edh.
2 months ago
I see a few areas for improvement:
So one of the main reasons to play green is the mana dorks. You should at least be running Birds of Paradise , Llanowar Elves and Elves of Deep Shadow , and you should probably be running a few more as well. Fyndhorn Elves , Elvish Mystic , Priest of Titania , Arbor Elf , Bloom Tender , Boreal Druid and Deathrite Shaman are also worth considering.
Card-draw is a big part of EDH. Distant Melody is good in any tribal deck, and depending on your typical board presence Slate of Ancestry may be worth considering, too. Fact or Fiction , Painful Truths , Treasure Cruise , Dig Through Time , Night's Whisper , Windfall , Harmonize and Concentrate are also good draw-spells. Sylvan Library and Phyrexian Arena are good pieces of permanent-based card-advantage. Mystic Remora is excellent, if transient, and at more inexperienced tables it can easily be an Ancestral Recall .
Your mana-base is worth rethinking, too. Overgrown Tomb , Breeding Pool and Watery Grave are all relatively affordable these days (because of the reprint), and City of Brass and Mana Confluence are worth running in a three-color deck, too. Depending on your budget, you may want to run fetch-lands like Polluted Delta or Prismatic Vista ; lower-budget options include Bad River , Flood Plain or the other slow-fetches. Evolving Wilds and Terramorphic Expanse , too. Llanowar Wastes , Yavimaya Coast , Underground River , Waterlogged Grove , Nurturing Peatland , Hinterland Harbor , Woodland Cemetery and Drowned Catacomb are more good dual-lands.
If you do end up running any sort of fetches, you'll have a bunch of shuffle-effects. This means Brainstorm becomes a powerful spell, as you can shuffle away bad cards while digging for the ones you want. Ponder , Preordain and Impulse are great as well.
Tutors are great -- then you don't even need to bother digging, as you can just go get what you want. Demonic Tutor and Vampiric Tutor are the gold standard, but as a pair they'll likely run you around $100. Diabolic Tutor , Lim-Dul's Vault and Dark Petition are all far more accessible. Mystical Tutor and Worldly Tutor are also good, though I don't think they'd be as good as the non-restricted tutors.
You also need to consider removal. Toxic Deluge , Pernicious Deed , Damnation , Decree of Pain and Cyclonic Rift are all great boardwipes. Nature's Claim , Krosan Grip , Casualties of War , Assassin's Trophy , Abrupt Decay , Windgrace's Judgment and Ashes to Ashes are good forms of spot-removal.
Finally, you might want to consider a reanimation package. Entomb or Buried Alive paired with Animate Dead , Reanimate , Dance of the Dead or Necromancy is a great way to get fatties out fast. Reanimating Grave Titan , Massacre Wurm or Inkwell Leviathan can swing the game in your favor real fast.
Pernicious Deed occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.04%
BUG (Sultai): 1.13%