Bastion of Remembrance
When Bastion of Remembrance enters the battlefield, create a 1/1 white Human Soldier creature token.
Whenever a creature you control dies (is put into the graveyard from the battlefield), each opponent loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Bastion of Remembrance occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Bastion of Remembrance Discussion
31 minutes ago
Update: Commander over the weekend went great! We had 5 people, so we were actually playing secret partner (obviously this is not a great "partner" deck lol). We all had some beers and it was actually a lot of fun.
I did very well the first game. Basically I had Bastion of Remembrance + Teysa Karlov out for most of the game and was able to drain everyone with my sac fodder pretty well. I then also got a Cruel Celebrant out and played Hangarback Walker and saced it to get 4 Thopter tokens, then saced them and domed everyone for lots of damage. It was pretty straight forward actually just sacing the tokens and dealing damage that it went well. Toxic Deluge also came in clutch to get rid of my opponents boards when they got wild. I won the game for my partner and I (he was killed earlier, so it came down to just me vs. my buddy's Chainer deck).
My one buddy played Yasova Dragonclaw and Sisay, Weatherlight Captain as his commanders for 2 games and stole some of my key creatures 2 games in a row, which was tough as I didn't have any sac outlets on the board at the time. My other buddy also played The Ur-Dragon as his commander, and he stole my Vilis, Broker of Blood which was rough as well.
Playing secret partner w/ 5 people was a bit different than the normal 4 way games we usually play, but I felt the deck still played fairly well and was a lot of fun. I think the power level is right where it needs to be to be honest.
23 hours ago
I just recently built a black and white deck with a very different approach, so comparing that with your deck will not help much, but..
I compared a lot of black and white options while building the deck.
In doing so, I found that one of the main difficulties in configuring a black and white deck is maintaining focus.
The way I see your deck, you have 2 copies of Piper of the Swarm who interacts with rats, but other then the tokens generated by the piper, there are no rats. That way your piper fills in a 2 drop slot, but is in a vacuum.
8 of 24 lands enter the field tapped.
With Elspeth you are well on your way to a deck that could either:
Go heavy on causing havoc by sacrificing those created human soldier tokens or...
Find cards that interact with your human soldier tokens and rebuild this into a white weenie deck alltogether. Given that you already have Shatter the Sky in there, going for a human soldier token generator with Shatter the Sky and Swords to Plowshares to keep your opponents boardstate miserable, then add some Disenchant and Blinding Light (not sure if that is legal in modern, but there ought to be a valid alternative) to eventually play Avacyn, Angel of Hope
3 days ago
Thank you for your thoughts! I'll explain my reasoning behind the three cards you mentioned:
I initially had planned to build a mono black deck around Erebos, and Gray Merchant of Asphodel was a must at the time. I left it in this deck because I had more black cards in the deck than white (which might've changed).
I thought Omen of the Dead would be a good card as 1 black mana can return a creature card from the graveyard, but the deck is enchantment heavy, so I reduced it from 4 to 2 copies and added Omen of the Sun.
I'll remove the 2 Gray Merchants from the main deck, and in their place add a 2nd Vito and a 4th Birth of Meletis (Cheap enchantment to sac to Doom Foretold) I'll remove the Omen of the Dead and add 2 more copies of Omen of the Sun in their place. Reduce Treacherous Blessing from 3 to 2 and add a 3rd copy of Bastion of Remembrance. I will modify the sideboard accordingly.
Most of the decks I play against are precons, but one friend of mine (who I haven't played MTG with in a while) used to run a dinosaur deck. Let me know what you think of my changes!!
1 week ago
1 month ago
Corpse Knight synergizes nicely with the Thalisse you already have.
I'd remove Anointed Procession. Teysa as your commander does the same and more.
Ashen Rider is overcosted for what it does. I suggest removing it.
1 month ago
Optimator: Hello there! Always gotta love Vilis decks, especially as detailed as this one :D A lot of cards in Maybeboard would fit the deck really well (I just have no idea why you got some cards two or three times there), but I would try to minimalize the maybeboard as much as possible, to not look the deck so chaotic.
I run Vilis in my Syr Konrad's For the Void deck.. he doesnt really fit the theme/idea of the deck so well, but Vilis is just too badass to cut out :D (anyway, any feedback/suggestions would be welcomed aswell <3 )
Some cards in deck I would cut, why, and their replacement:
1) Falkenrath Noble - might be a nice card in an aristocrat deck, there isnt really any way to generate->sac big amount of your creatures to abuse Falkenrath Noble as much as possible, also costs . If you want an aristocrat, Bastion of Remembrance could be a possible option aswell. Its cheaper, gives you a 1/1 token and has the same effect as F.Noble. Sure, can't attack or block, but Bastion is also harder to remove since its an Enchantment.
2) Leaden Myr - as you already mentioned, a possible cut for some other mana-rock.. I would switch it for Malakir Rebirth Flip as an another kind of "protection" to either Vilis or another important creature at the moment. With Vilis on board, it even draws you two cards (destroy protection, draw two cards, triggering aristocrat-like effects at instant speed for only ? YES PLEASE! ). In worse case scenario, its also additional land drop. Another possible replacement could be Blood Celebrant, which synergies well with both Vilis and K'riik.
3) Liliana's Contract - would probably fit better in some Demon tribal deck or Conspiracy deck. You also have only six Demons in your deck, all of them with fairly high mana cost. As a better card-draw, I would add either Greed, since it draws you 3 cards with Vilis on board, maybe even Skullclamp that would draw you two cards every turn with Ophiomancer, but Greed would be most likey better option, since there isnt really any other way to generate a lot of tokens every turn.
4) Crux of Fate - no Dragons in your deck, not even so many of them in black in general, so outside of politic reason, other 5CMC or less boardwipes would be better. I personally love Life's Finale, its more expensive than Crux of Fate, but enables you to look and search in target opponent's deck and put up to 3 creatures from their deck into theri graveyard, which would synergize with Chainer, Dementia Master, Geth, Lord of the Vault and some other.
5) Ruinous Path - sorcery speed removal is kinda meh, so something like Hero's Downfall is just better. I personally like Eat to Extinction, even if its more expensive, it helps with top-deck managment (+exiles targeted creature/pw).
6) Cut few swamps for:
6a) Cabal Stronghold - Stronghold is cheap, can tap itself for and can give you plenty of later on.
6b) Emergence Zone - I personally love this utility land, just because it gives you spells Flash whenever you sac it. It doesnt ETB tapped and can help you casting some stuff when you sac it.
7) Chaos Wand - might be a fun card, but doesnt really fit the deck at all. I would cut it for Bontu's Monument to make a lot of your big black stuff cheaper and another small source of life-gain.
8) Big mana-rocks: Gilded Lotus and Thran Dynamo - I used to run those too, but slowly started replacing them with cheaper mana rocks like Thought Vessel and Arcane Signet. Hedron Archive is okay-ish since it can draw you two cards when you no longer need it, but with Vilis and especially mono-black, there can always be enough card draw.
9) Spellbook - would be fine, if you didnt manage to get your Reliquary Tower or Venser's Journal on board, but otherwise its just a dead card that does nothing to you anymore. I would rather replace it with Ivory Tower to get some life back.
10) Curtains' Call - I would replace this one for one of the following:
10a) Devour in Shadow/Vendetta - cheap removal that can potentionaly draws you X cards aswell.
10b) Dismember - depending on how big the creature is, but since you could cast it for only one and draw 4 cards aswell, its decent choice aswell.
10c) Snuff Out - free removal in 99.999% time, which can draws you 4 cards aswell, but not for black creatures, which, depending on your opponent's deck, might be important. Still most likely a better option.
10d) Tragic Slip - goes through indestructible, but requires a creature to die to be maximum effective, which might be sometimes a problem. Still, really good one.
10e) Malicious Affliction - another cheap removal, which is also locked to non-black creatures, but is able to destroy two creatures if a creature died already, so similar issue like Tragic Slip.
10f) Profane Command - I just totally love this card. Its not instant, but can be really flexible in various situations, so I would probably go for this as a replacement.
10g) Erebos's Intervention - similar to Profane Command, it flexile aswell, providing you to remove some indestructible creature and get some life; or serves as a fairly decent graveyard hate at instant speed.
I won't go through cards in maybeboard, even though there is plenty of really nice cards that would work so well in Vilis's deck, like Bolas's Citadel, Doom Whisperer, Font of Agonies and Phyrexian Reclamation and many more, it would just be a little too much, I would say... :D
I hope some of my suggestions will help, gonna upvote this for sure, just because it looks really nice, especially with so many possible cards that could easily fit so well :)
2 months ago
Everytime I look at ghoulcaller gissa, Im impressed by her ability to generate so many tokens so easily, even from her own 2/2 tokens.. I'm thinking about putting her in my Syr Konrad's For the Void deck, just to make even more tokens, but its quite hard to find any free spot at this moment :D
Anyway, I know this is a budged deck, more or less, but why Ur-Golem's Eye? I would rather go with Sol Ring/Bontu's Monument or any other mana-cheaper manarock.
Armillary Sphere - in Gisa deck, Burnished Hart seems like a better option to me. You can either sac hart to Gisa to make two tokens or sac it to itself to fetch two basic lands if needed.
Hymn to Tourach - This honestly doesnt feel like it belongs too much in here, since its no discard focused deck. I would replace it with Village Rites, since you have plenty of creatures and tokens to sacrifice + Village Rites is instant for only one , strictly better Altar's Reap. Or Vile Rebirth to get rid off some annoying card if you play against some graveyard decks + makes you a 2/2 zombie token at instant speed for only one .
I think you might also cut like 2 lands, since you have plenty of cheap creatures, with few mana rocks and rituals anyway. Adding Feed the Swarm might also be pretty good, just as another creature removal or finally a good enchantment removal in black. Life loss is minor, since most enchantments are not mana-expensive anyway. It also gets better, if you would have Vilis, Broker of Blood on board.
Some higher-budget possible upgrades:
Thornbite Staff - Next to Gisa, this is another card that gets more and more interesting the more I look at it :D If you equip it to Gisa, then sac some creature to Gisa's ability, you can untap Gisa and sac another creature again.
Phyrexian Altar - more expensive card to get, but it goes to so many combos. Especially to the previous one with Thornbite Staff, which can make infinite etb/die triggers just with only one 2/2 creature and Gisa equipped with staff with Phyrexian Altar on board. Then add some aristocrat effect like Bastion of Remembrance and the game is over.
Grave Titan - costs few dollars, since it got reprinted in Mystery Booster Boxes and is also great friend to any reanimator, zombie tribal or simply Gisa deck for the absurd amount of tokens it can generate. Also goes infinite with Nim Deathmantle and Ashnod's Altar.
2 months ago
Reznorboy - Good day to you!
I am not really sure what benefit there is to playing Instants and Sorceries over creatures to produce tokens. I could see playing Saproling Migration over Emmara, but the effect is more or less the same.
One of the things I attempt to do with my decks is have them each possess a different game plan. I see the appeal of abusing enchantments, though I already have an Enchantress Deck in Karametra and, as for Bastion of Remembrance, an Aristocrats Deck in Adun Oakenshield. I am an aggressive player at heart, and this deck was meant to embody that. These game plans are fun, but the aggro style is distinct.
Now, however aggressive I like to be, I love secondary game plans. Carnival of Souls is a card I have wanted to abuse, though never got around to experimenting. It works well with the deck, given the horrendous number of tokens it spews, yet I do not have many solid cards in here with which I may spend all that mana. I am open to suggestions on that part.
Yes, tutors. I own multiple Demonic Tutors, so perhaps I should add one...
Thank you very much, and I would love further guidance with Carnival of Souls. Black is more of a splash in this list, so I may need to rework most of it.
Have a lovely day.