|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2015 (C15)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
: Add or to your mana pool.
: Simic Keyrune becomes a 2/3 green and blue Crab artifact creature with hexproof until end of turn. (It can't be the target of spells or abilities your opponents control.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (5)||Reliva , Tmanator , XxCataclysmiCxX , PTsmitty , gildan_bladeborn|
|Want (7)||scouts2nd , Approximos , yeoldsmithy , Kcin , ExultantCultist94 , Snuggruble , Zidon|
Simic Keyrune Discussion
2 months ago
Nice build there. My suggestions: Take out the Hydroforms and replace them with Simic Charms. Yes, Hydroform does make flying, but Simic Charm is much more adaptable, especially for an aggro/control build - bounce their big creatures to not only stop them winning but also to pave the way for your aggro, make your creatures bigger and stop the burn. I would also reccommend taking out Frilled Oculus, because if you want aggro there are creatures you can pump more than once a turn.Berserk is a good card if you can deal lethal damage with it. If you want aggro, I would recommend taking out some of the evolve creatures - they are for the long game as you play them but they don't get big until much later on, unless you are playing larger creatures every turn or have a big token combo on. Also on the aggro, if you want to go full on, take out all the evolve and control aspects and put in things like mutagenic growth and prdator's strike. Just look at the infect decks (like mine below) for some nice pump spells. Since you don't care about legality (although it works much better for infect), Invigorate is good for that little extra damage. On top of the pump spells, run Wild Defiance to really get the damage racking up. If you are looking for more control, run some walls (e.g. Fog Bank and Glacial Wall) to trigger evolve. For card advantage or pseudo-hexproof run Monastery Siege and Pore Over the Pages. For counterspells, run Counterspell, Rewind, Arcane Denial and Remand. If you have a higher budget, run Voidslime and Mana Drain instead of Rewind and Arcane Denial also, Venser, Shaper Savant. If you want elementals, any out of Nissa, Sage Animist Flip, Nissa, Steward of Elements, Nissa, Worldwaker or Nissa, Genesis Mage is a really good option. Also on lands, if you have enough mana, run Liege of the Tangle and some unblockable spells (also see my infect decks below). Also, run more lands - 12 lands is NOT ENOUGH! I recommend a playset of Simic Signets and at least one Gilded Lotus, and possible Simic Keyrune and Thornwood Falls instead of or as well as Simic Guildgate. Run a minimum of 20 lands unless your deck is at least 1/3 mana rocks. This is a nice idea, so I hope I have improved it for you.
5 months ago
I like the deck! As far as removal, there's always Devastation Tide and Evacuation and the one-sided Cyclonic Rift - but understand that last one will make you a target REALLY fast. Also see Nevinyrral's Disk just to get rid of pretty much EVERYTHING but Planeswalkers. For more land ramp, you can add a Terramorphic Expanse as well as the usual cadre of ramp spells (you're running green - go crazy with it) like Cultivate and Kodama's Reach and Seek the Horizon among others - just to thin your deck, so you're hopefully drawing answers instead of more lands. If you remove some of the creatures, you could easily make room for the mana ramp cards. Other cheap dual mana could include Simic Growth Chamber and Simic Guildgate if you want to save some money rather than diving straight for Breeding Pool expenses. And a Command Tower never hurts in a Commander deck - probably find one for around $1 (maybe cheaper) in a local shop. Could add some relatively cheap mana artifacts like Worn Powerstone or Mind Stone or Simic Signet or Simic Keyrune that will help things along the way, as well as something like Bident of Thassa for consistent card draw (of course, add things like Trailblazer's Boots (hey, EVERYONE has a nonbasic land or SEVERAL in Commander) or Whispersilk Cloak or Prowler's Helm to get them through - which will assist fatties late-game.
9 months ago
I have a rule: mono color decks run 32 lands.
2 colors run 34-36
3 colors 36-38
4 colors 38-40
5 colors 40-42 (42 only if no fetch/ramp effects).
mana rocks don't factor in to my calculations for minimum land inclusions, but to be fair, I usually only run sol ring, Chromatic Lantern, Thran Dynamo and the corresponding tri-color artifacts for 3 color.
For 2 color, I'll use the Simic Keyrune type rocks, but won't use them for 3 or more colors.
10 months ago
I experimented with Polymorph a while back. The biggest problem is that they remove your target as response so poly fizzles. To prevent this i played Simic Keyrune as that is the only poly target with hexproof (what i know of). Also, it technically only cost 1 to turn it into a creature as you can use its mana ability to pay one of the mana (the green if you go mono blue) Worked pretty well, but i havent seen it in any other lists.
11 months ago
Some changes I'd do and try out how they fare:
- Sol Ring (Illegal in our playgroup) run a dork instead
- Simic Keyrune - Play mana Dorks instead
- Vision Skeins - Play better draw spells for only you
- Flash Counter - Play better version of this
- Siren Stormtamer - Play better version of this
- Chasm Skulker - we don't synergize with this
- Tempt with Discovery - there's better ramp that's just for us
- Solemn Simulacrum - we are in green
- Creeping Mold - too expensive
- Pathrazer of Ulamog - Doesn't have a cast trigger, but we cast eldrazi
- Baloth Woodcrasher - We are not in limited or in landfall
- Scaled Behemoth - We are not in limited
- Gauntlet of Power - We are in 2 Colors
- Lightning Greaves - our commander is frequently not a creature
- Swiftfoot Boots - our commander is frequently not a creature
- Imprisoned in the Moon - the green one is better
- Song of the Dryads - Better than imprison in the moon. Binds everything until removed
- Doubling Cube - Should be very awesome with kruphix
- Nature's Claim - cheap instant speed removal
- Paradox Engine - we run counters and can keep our nonland mana so this should yield a lot of mana
- Vedalken Orrery - I think we like a lot of flash in this deck
- Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir - Flash for us and slowmo for the others? Yes please!
- Dispel - cheaper than flash counter. Maybe play Swan Song instead of it.
- Everflowing Chalice - bestest manarock to dump mana in
- Brainstorm - best draw spell ever
- Staff of Nin - draw a card a turn and kill some mana dorks
- Fyndhorn Elves - mana dork
- Heroic Intervention - Protect's kurphix and therefore our accumulated mana
- Simic Charm - same as interverntion
- Turn Aside - see above. might be one too many but hey. if it's too much protection run more dorks.
- Freyalise, Llanowar's Fury - she spits dorks. could be very awesome
- Jace, the Mind Sculptor - Brainstorm every turn and an alternate wincon in a lockdown situation. Best walker ever.
11 months ago
Zoetic Cavern seems decent as a morph to trigger Ezuri and then flip to serve as a land. Willbender is one of the best morphs for its ability to protect your stuff from targeted removal. Kheru Spellsnatcher is very mana intensive, but offers a very powerful flip ability. Ainok Survivalist is a decent piece of artifact/enchantment removal. Broodhatch Nantuko is a decent way to produce a bunch of tokens off of people attacking you. I really like Temur Sabertooth as a repeatable bounce outlet. I would also suggest Kodama's Reach and Viridian Joiner as some great pieces of ramp. Fathom Mage is an incredibly powerful card draw engine in any Ezuri deck.
I'm not really sure what Thran Turbine is doing in here. Simic Cluestone seems ok, but I like Simic Keyrune much better for its ability to turn into a difficult to kill creature that can accumulate counters. In this same vein, Lumbering Falls is a great land for this deck.
Check out my Ezuri list (We're Gonna Need a LOT of Dice) for more inspiration. It may not have a morph package, but there are lots of great options for your deck.
1 year ago
Thanks for the advice! I really like Vizier of the Menagerie, and Lumbering Falls. I had Sakura-Tribe Elder, Kodama's Reach, and Rampant Growth in the deck originally (I think they all came with the PreCon). I mainly took them out because I have 9 creatures that either act as mana sources (like Crystalline Crawler and Rishkar, Peema Renegade) or fetch lands (one-offs like Solemn Simulacrum or repeatable like Fertilid). That being said most of my ramping ability uses Ezuri's counters to produce said mana, so I could see how that would be a problem if he wasn't around.I also didn't realize I had so many lands, so I may cut a few for fetch spells like Kodama's Reach!
My comment about the landbase was if there were any better utility lands to help with my win conditions. Until I can afford the shock, and check lands, the tap lands will have to suffice.
From your deck I'm really curious how a few cards perform:
1) Can you use Duplicant on Ezuri, Claw of Progress to protect him while still abusing the counters? Allow him to be exiled, and when someone board wipes or removes Duplicant, Ezuri would then come back? Just kidding, Duplicant doesn't return the exiled card when he dies.
3) Is there something you usually tutor for with Fauna Shaman?
1 year ago
From my experience playing Ezuri, you want to have a lot of ramp. It's pretty rough playing your commander only to have him removed before he can do anything. In addition, running some strong ramp spells could also help fix your issues with the land base. Sakura-Tribe Elder and Yavimaya Elder are some strong ramp creatures that trigger Ezuri in addition to getting you lands, and Kodama's Reach and Cultivate are just very strong ramp spells. As far as lands go, Lumbering Falls is a great manland. Much like the Simic Keyrune that you're already running, it doubles as a difficult to remove threat that can accumulate counters with Ezuri. I think another good creature to include would be Vizier of the Menagerie. While it's main focus is card draw, letting you play creatures with any color of mana is very strong, and could help with your mana base issues.
If you're interested, check out my Ezuri list (We're Gonna Need a LOT of Dice) for inspiration.