|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Scars of Mirrodin (SOM)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Liege of the Tangle
Creature — Elemental
Whenever Liege of the Tangle deals combat damage to a player, you may choose any number of target lands you control and put an awakening counter on each of them. Each of those lands is an 8/8 green Elemental creature for as long as it has an awakening counter on it. They're still lands.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (16)||gildan_bladeborn , MattN7498 , rebelteddybear , davir , sneferie , 8vomit , Pelli , sonnet666 , golgarigirl , Mortiferus_Rosa , ChrisH , switchkill65 , Antiat , Nemesis , Auriel , MrCrazzyc|
Liege of the Tangle Discussion
2 weeks ago
In your Natural Affinity example, the awakened lands will go from base 8/8 to base 2/2 and then back to base 8/8 after your turn ends. In your Rush of Ice example, the land will go from base 8/8 to base 0/0 and stay there. If you want it to go back to base 8/8 then you have to use Liege of the Tangle's ability on it again.
If multiple effects are trying to change a card's characteristics in the same layer or sublayer - here, we're looking at the base P/T-setting sublayer of the general P/T layer - then the most recently created one wins out (there are some exceptions but they don't apply here so let's not get into them right now). The new effect doesn't end the older effect, it just applies over top of it. If the new effect ends then the older effect will take precedence again.
The "for as long as it has an awakening counter on it" defines the duration of Liege of the Tangle's effect, just as "until end of turn" defines the duration of Natural Affinity's effect. Awaken on Rush of Ice and other cards doesn't have a defined duration, so it just stays in effect either until the card leaves the battlefield or until some other newer effect overwrites it.
2 weeks ago
I'm not that great with replacement effects.
If I successfully resolve Liege of the Tangle's ability and put an awakening counter on one of my lands so it becomes an 8/8 creature, then I resolve Natural Affinity, that same land becomes a 2/2 creature until end of turn, right?
If (ignoring Natural Affinity for this example) I were to resolve a Rush of Ice which has been cast for its Awaken cost and target that same land, would it indefinitely become a base 0/0 creature despite the fact that it still has the awakening counter on it?
It's the "for as long as is has an awakening counter on it" that's throwing me off a little here.
2 weeks ago
Some suggestions:Archetype of Endurance, Ghoultree, Goliath Spider, Krosan Cloudscraper, Liege of the Tangle, Living Hive, Myojin of Life's Web, Naya Soulbeast, Polyraptor, Skarrg Goliath, Spike Hatcher, Stonehoof Chieftain, Terastodon, Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger, World Breaker, Worldspine Wurm, Allosaurus Rider, Caller of the Pack, Gaea's Revenge, Garruk's Horde, Kalonian Twingrove, Sandsteppe Mastodon, Sekki, Seasons' Guide, Siege Behemoth, Thorn Elemental, Tornado Elemental, Verdant Sun's Avatar, Woodfall Primus
3 weeks ago
Quite a few of those are gonna go on my acquire-board, sadly the main thing preventing me from getting most of those powerhouses are cost. Crucible of Worlds is definitely one I want to get, as is Oracle of Mul Daya, Scapeshift, and Toxic Deluge. Blighted Woodland got cut because it was a bit too much mana investment for me. Damnation, Decree of Pain or Necromantic Selection might get put in. I'll probably swap my Liege of the Tangle for World Breaker
1 month ago
I think the deck is missing some ramp staple like Collective Voyage, Nature's Lore, Farseek, Nissa's Pilgrimage, Tempt with Discovery, and Boundless Realms as a finisher. I think you should increase your ramp package by at least 2 of those spells and as result the manabase should be incremented at 39 lands at least
Tireless Tracker is a super solid budget card draw as well as Lifecrafter's Bestiary
Greenwarden of Murasa its a big Eternal Witness that let you recast your ramp spells
Lotus Cobra it's a bit costly but a super good upgrade
Thunderfoot Baloth,Pathbreaker Ibex, Overwhelming Stampede, Liege of the Tangle are all cheap and good finishers!
The deck is also missing some tutoring like Eldritch Evolution (awesome card, still cheap for some reason) and Signal the Clans or if you increase a little bit the budget Green Sun's Zenith, Natural Order and Chord of Calling
1 month ago
Also Liege of the Tangle seems neat, but 8 mana is A LOT in modern, even with all the ramp. You also have to not get it Stubborn Denialed or Mana Leaked and then it has to survive for a turn before it makes all your lands into creatures. Liege would be a cute budget option for Through the Breach but I think it is far to slow otherwise.
2 months ago
Hi these are in my opinion some bad card choices for your deck.
- Library of Leng it's just simply a worse option than Reliquary Tower or Thought Vessel.
- Ghirapur Orrery you shouldn't use this having green. You can just use Exploration for the additional land drops, its way cheaper to cast and only benefits yourself. You wont use the second ability of the orrery because you will draw a lot of cards from Gitrog (that's why you made it your commander) so you're just helping your oponents. There are also many creatures that allow you to play additional lands.
- Dark Heart of the Wood You can only sacrifice Forests and the 3 lifes doesn't seem to be worth it.
- Rites of Flourishing Once againg helping others more that yourself. You'll already be drawing more cards that your oponents and there are better ways to put lands on the battlefield.
- Overwhelming Stampede awesome card but feels it's on the wrong deck, you dont have many creatures, you won't be drawing it together with Avenger of Zendikar
- Decree of Pain and In Garruk's Wake two super high cost board wipes, you may not be able to cast them when you need a board wipe. There are many low cost budget options Bontu's Last Reckoning, Deadly Tempest, Life's Finale or Deathbringer Regent to name a few. Or you can have one tailored to Gitrog with Kindred Dominance there wont be many Horrors and Frogs on the Battlefield so you can be pretty sure it will destroy everything but Gitrog.
- Artisan's Sorrow A bit expensive for a Naturalize with Scry 2. I kinda like better for the same CMC those that give you a card Mystic Melting, Slice in Twain and Rending Vines (lower CMC, but a bit conditional). The most popular version of naturalize for EDH players is Krosan Grip but there are many options for you to explore.
- Grisly Spectacle a weak card in my opinion, milling your opponent a few cards is futile unless your game is milling them to death but if you are running it I gues it's because you dont have anything better. You have many options in black for removal, my favorite is Silence the Believers
- Ayumi, the Last Visitor If you are running this it's because your meta has a lot of legendary lands, even so it may be better for you to get some flyers, this card won't kill your oponent fast enough.
- Liege of the Tangle high cost slow and pray your oponents don't have a boar wipe in their hands once you turn your lands into creatures after you attack.
- Penumbra Spider I suppose flyers give you a hard time and that is why you run this. It gives you two blocks (as it will most likely die on each block) without really solving your problem. Deadly Recluse will keep more scary flyers away than you can countb (nobody wants to waste a perfectly good dragon on a CMC 2 common spider), Silklash Spider has a decent toughness and can hurricane those pesky flyers, Ishkanah, Grafwidow will put three extra bodies with Reach on the Battlefield or maybe what you need is a Whirlwind.
- Phage the Untouchable lovely card with lots of charisma but you can't give her Haste and Hexproof/Shroud with Swiftfoot Boots or Lightning Greaves she may be useless. You only have the Key to the City and Rogue's Passage to get her through the enemy lines. I hope she never gets flicked because you would lose the game.
You can check my own The Gitrog Monster deck Deadly Gitrog that capitalizes on Deathtouch (Gitrog's and many other deathtouchers in the deck) and has a lot of recursion to get some ideas. It works amazingly in my group. Many cards in your deck are also in mine.