|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Target creature gets +3/+3 until end of turn.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (12)||richardmv , ironax , iurxos , gildan_bladeborn , brokendwarf , maR2307 , Mogar , saj0219 , Friedrice24 , frederiklw , TThors , MattN7498|
Giant Growth Discussion
4 days ago
Welcome to Modern! Please take all these comments with healthy skepticism, as I have no idea what your meta is like nor your personal playstyle. :-)
First, I know you asked about sideboard, but I wanted to mention ...
- You might consider Cathedral of War. I'm not sure what the right number is, so I'd start testing at 4x and work down from there if you can't stand it.
- Vines of Vastwood is amazing, and I rec' running 4x (instead of a split with Blossoming Defense). Also, in case you're not aware: Because of the way the card is worded, it's actually better than hexproof ... you can use it on your opponent's creatures, to prevent them from targeting their own dudes with pump spells and various abilities (like Equip, Modular, and Crew).
- Though Groundswell is great is a 2-color deck (because of the Fetchlands), I personally think it's kind of meh in a Mono-G deck. If you haven't already done so, you might try testing 2x Groundswell and 2x Giant Growth and just see which you prefer. You could also try it with an extra land or two.
On sideboard, I try to always consider the following areas:
- Extra Protection: Meta-dependent, but I try to always consider some extra Vines of Vastwood, Blossoming Defense, or Apostle's Blessing. Also, though it's not really protection, Shaper's Sanctuary is intriguing. Not sure what I think of it yet, but I'm looking forward to testing it once XLN is released and the price normalizes.
- Extra Evasion: Meta-dependent, but I try to always consider extra Trample and Unblockable (e.g., Apostle's Blessing) effects.
- Removal: 1x Dismember is great. If too pricey though, any Green fight card is solid. I like Nature's Way, personally.
- Gravehate: 2x sounds about right. I'm on Tormod's Crypt lately, because it's the only thing that's fast enough vs. Vengevine.
- Artifacthate: I'm not personally a fan of Nature's Claim in the side, but that's because there's a lot of Eldrazi Tron in my meta and they run 4x Chalice of the Void in the main ... and Chalice with X=1 will shut Infect down hard. I like Seal of Primordium but Deglamer/Unravel the Aether may be better depending on the meta.
- Extra land: If I find myself bringing in high-CMC cards from the sideboard, sometimes adding an extra land makes sense.
- Burnhate: If there's a bunch of Burn in your meta, you may want some disposable blockers and some lifegain. Spellskite (blocker + protection) and Kitchen Finks (blocker + lifegain) are amazing, but super-pricey. Maybe something like Wall of Roots, Steel Wall, or Wall of Tanglecord. I've no idea on the lifegain ... Nourish maybe? Or maybe Jaddi Offshoot (though I'm not sure it's worth it with 20 Lands).
1 week ago
When two of your triggers occur at the same time, you get to put them on the stack in the order you wish. Each resolves separately. You would want to do this to get the result you want:
This is going to happen in the latter part of the Declare Attackers step during your Combat Phase, incidentally. You'll get a round of priority before each trigger resolves when you can activate Kessig Wolf Run (or cast Giant Growth or whatever else). Thus, you will pass priority on the first trigger and the stack becomes...
(bottom of the stack) -> Mage Slayer Trigger
And you have the Ventmaw mana in your pool. You'll activate the land so with your mana so...
Which you will allow to resolve, then allow the Mage Slayer trigger to resolve.
Remember your opponents are also passing priority for each of these, so they could potentially Time Stop or whatever else when they see what is happening as ever.
2 weeks ago
3 weeks ago
24 lands and 16 creatures is way too many for infect. Ideally you would have 12 infecters, 20 lands, and the rest pump. The Llanowar Augur could be replaced with Giant Growth and take out 4 Forest for Rancor.
4 weeks ago
I would put in an Assault Formation and take out a Kessig Recluse. Try to ad the giant growths too, because a lot of people wouldn't be too sad to let one or two damage in, and they wouldn't want to lose a creature to the deathtouch, so it would be easy to do at least 4 or 5 damage quick with Deadly Recluse+Giant Growth. Maybe some Mutagenic Growths and Seal of Strengths as well? Those are both pretty inexpensive.
1 month ago
Saskia the Unyielding is quite the infect commander. It is also one of the few that can actually kill the players with infect, as opposed to killing one and running out of gas. You can build it really aggresive and to combine a Glistener Elf with a Giant Growth and Might of Old Krosa etc. or go a more resilient route by dealing a few infect points and proliferating them to death, while keeping the board clean of threats to you.
Alternatively Atraxa, Praetors' Voice is a great proliferate commander as well, and gives options to superfriends (planeswalker) decks as well as infect, or counter matter cards.
Commanders like Rafiq of the Many or The Mimeoplasm are viable options as well, but offer different playstyles as the above.
Hope that helped some ;)
1 month ago
Sorry, I should have mentioned that this deck is built for a format where every card name must have an alliteration in it. Barkshell Blessing is an okay pump spell, but I just took most of them out and replaced them with Giant Growth once I realised that card is legal.
1 month ago
It's more important to have fun with these kinds of decks than to just always make them better, but if you want to try and deal with or play against like Kuldotha, Affinity, and Tron in the pauper meta, then I'll lend some words.
If you can deal with 5/5s, 2/2s, x/1s, mass amounts of tokens, and Hexproof 1/1s ( Slippery Bogle ) you can probably deal with anything, and so if you can play around that idea of dealing with anything, then you might have a smoother time playing the deck at all.
Without being able to abuse ETBs of other lands like Radiant Fountain or untapping lands more easily, Simic Growth Chamber does not help manafixing and can accidentally send you back 2 turns in mana, or is just more tapped mana than you need. Find a way to make better use of it, or just replace it with Evolving Wilds or Terramorphic Expanse, which can also be a way to shuffle away cards when Ponder or Brainstorm sees only maybe 1 card you need. The biggest issue with cards like Auras and Giant Growth is that if someone kills a creature when you cast those on it, you'll lose 2 cards instead of 1, and are now struggling to get back in. Vines of Vastwood or Neurok Stealthsuit that I use in Ahhhh! Spiders with Clothes! could be safe cards.
Hopefully that gives you some things to think about and see for yourself where you end up with your deck :)