|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Prevent all combat damage that would be dealt this turn. You gain 1 life for each attacking creature.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Want (6)||kvfd1719 , phox321 , TheAceol , Legoman18 , MADMatt7777 , GarethGrey|
1 month ago
Also checkout red burn spells and black destruction spells for creature control.
Furthermore I would recommend mana ramp (i.e. Rampant Growth, Cultivate, Kodama's Reach, Myriad Landscape) instead of mana augmentation Extraplanar Lens et. al. You will not need as much mana, and they would effectively shrink your deck increasing the odds of drawing something you need.
Finally, for starters, aim for 1Commander, 40 Lands and 59 Others. Drop anything else that seems good but doesn't fit into your maybeboard, and we can adjust later.
If I come up with anything else, I'll let you know.
8 months ago
Should be interesting, cant wait to see this one on action!...might be a slow starter though...high CMC for pauper...maybe some early early life gain and/or fog effects(like Respite)? Once it gets going though might do really well. As we discussed last night...card advantage!!!
Panas on Chemo Ramp
1 year ago
Alright! I gave the deck a quick look and it looks relatively good overall. I understand you are not in a very competitive meta (or at least, not a very cutthroat one at that) and that budget is a concern albeit not a very crazy one.
I see enough card draw and cards that replace themselves. I also liked that you built the deck accordingly, avoiding enchantment and artifact inclusions to fit the theme of blowing all of them up.
With that said we reach the greatest flaw in the deck. Without any strong, early ramp and so many high costed cards doing what you want, your deck is left slow and clunky and will often durdle and fold to early advantage gained by other people through the same things you hate. Breaking a Sylvan Library on turn 5 means that opponent already has gained all the value in the world out of it and probably doesn't care too much that it's being destroyed.
A second point I want to make is that although you do have a lot of big mana plays, a LOT of them are inefficient considering the resource investment into them (mana cost Vs effect + P/T). Here's a list of which ones I didn't like too much and the reasoning behind it:
- Avatar of Might is a vanilla trampler in your deck. Unless you are facing against a fast aggro deck or token generator, you are the one playing the creature deck so I wouldn't expect to cast it on the cheap side often.
- Deus of Calamity is an awesome card but it needs the proper enablers (double strike/constant buffs) for it to work as intended and even then it's a "win more" card. In effect it does a hell of a lot under certain conditions, but those are hard to come by and when you are behind you'd prefer playing something else.
- Domesticated Hydra a very high investment just to get a trampler. Evasion is good but when you compare these kind of cards with enablers like Thunderfoot Baloth and Siege Behemoth they are very lackluster.
- Havenwood Wurm: 7 mana for a 5/6 trampler? You can do a lot better than this. The instant speed doesn't warrant this investment as it is essentially asking you to skip your turn to play this.
- Stonebrow, Krosan Hero would be a lot better in a shell where mass trample and Overrun effects ran rampant. This is not the case so quite often he will be giving you an extra 2-4 damage on swing. He's not that bad though.
- Blunt the Assault is a heavy costed fog effect. If life gaining is that important, running Shamanic Revelation is better. If the fog is really needed then just run Fog or Lull or Respite or Winds of Qal Sisma.
- Devil's Play is a very flavourful card and I do like it, but I think it's a bit small for commander. Fall of the Titans or even better Comet Storm do a much better job at finishing people.
- Scrabbling Claws is not good enough for graveyard hate. There exist much better alternatives (i.e. Relic of Progenitus)!
And here are my suggestions for you, including some notable omissions. Some have already been mentioned by others.
- Acidic Slime
- Mold Shambler
- Reclamation Sage!
- Sakura-Tribe Elder!
- Wood Elves!
- Farhaven Elf!
- Woodfall Primus!
- Chaos Warp!
- Krosan Grip!
- Ancient Grudge
- Comet Storm
- Hull Breach
- Skyshroud Claim!
- Hydra Broodmaster
- Beast Within!
- Xenagos, God of Revels
I would choose a number of these as replacements prefering their versatility, efficiency and power.
Those are my thoughts. :)
ps: since tappedout doesn't let me mark my most suggestions through the checkboxes for some reason, i'll put an exclamation mark next to them...
1 year ago
Edit: Try more Fog, Fog Patch, Respite or even better, Moment's Peace. I know that the possibility of being able to loose 19 life without risking the win is a big advantage, but this is going to be either expensive because of the Manabase, or something strange, because of the missing draw-stuff, because Sylvan Library isn't going to do the trick here. I would suggest to splash blue instead of black, because of cards like Mystical Tutor, Ancestral Vision, Brainstorm, Ponder, Preordain or Force of Will.
1 year ago
There was a time where I was drawing 3 cards per turn while playtesting, although thinking about it that would make my opponents target me. Thanks for having me reconsider Psychosis Crawler. I will take it out and put in something more... worthy (ramp haha).
As for instants and sorceries, I would take out Fog then... I just didn't like how I was swarmed one time with 24 tokens. Respite makes it perfect for me to be able to cover at least one weak point of my deck. Also, maybe a delay could be what saves me? One could never know haha... and I will keep the counterspells just to have insurance for Kruphix and the big guys I'm planning on casting.
I never intended to flip Cryptolith Fragment Flip, as I only have once in my life... it was more as some kind of mana ramp just in case I'd need it (and it has saved me in playtesting). I would keep it just to have the deck be more consistent, not having to worry if I don't draw the other island.
1 year ago
Brochl, that's part of it, but there's also the fact that I'm no threat, (the other players are all much more threatening). I have chump blockers for days, I run some good defensive abilities (Spirit of the Hearth, Crawlspace, and Ghostly Prison) I also have a few ways of preventing commander damage (Spectral Grasp and Vow of Duty) and then serious lifegain (Venser's Journal and Alhammarret's Archive)
All of these things combined make it to where attacking me requires complete commitment to it, which usually only occurs towards the end.
And if I somehow end up singled out at the beginning of the game by all the players?
I'm probably playing with the wrong people.
1 year ago
1 year ago
I noticed you have a lot of draw card effects. If you haven't looked at it already, i suggest looking at Alhammarret's Archive. I also suggest looking into Fog and Respite for defense at any point you have nothing on the field if you haven't already.