|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Modern Event Deck||Uncommon|
|Shards of Alara||Common|
Combos Browse all
Relic of Progenitus
: Target player removes a card in his or her graveyard from the game.
, Remove Relic of Progenitus from the game: Remove all graveyards from the game. Draw a card.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (16)||Swamy , KillDatBUG , Randomdeath , brokendwarf , golgarigirl , philktoken8998 , Dredgar , rockleemyhero , DrLitebur , 2austin5 , buildingadeck , the.beanpole , awalloftext , , fireborne1986 , DevoidMage|
|Want (3)||loljk , , TheRealPeaches|
Relic of Progenitus Discussion
23 hours ago
1) Run more than 16 lands. Not even Merfolk can properly function on 16 lands. And don't just use basics. Oboro, Palace in the Clouds, Mutavault, and Cavern of Souls fit great in a Merfolk build, and Wanderwine Hub, in addition to entering untapped for two colors, can reveal a threat from your hand that your opponent may need to play around.
3) Don't play black in a Merfolk build. If you're absolutely set on using another color, I personally would recommend white for Path to Exile, Mana Tithe, and Brave the Elements. White would also get the most value out of Wanderwine Hub. But, if you insist on using black, the spells you've chosen aren't going to cut it in modern. Dead Weight won't kill Tarmogoyfs, Hero's Downfall is way too expensive, and Appetite for Brains misses 99% of the relevant threats. In modern, the magic number is 3. That's where most of the curves top out. Thus, Appetite misses everything at or below the magic number. Personally, if I had to use black in a Merfolk build, I'd be running Dismember, Inquisition of Kozilek, maybe a couple Thoughtseize, and Fatal Push. I'd also run one or two Gut Shots for insurance, but that's just me. Of course, this all assumes that you play another color in your deck. If it were me, I'd stay mono-blue.
4) Aether Vial. Perfect card for this deck. Put it on two and keep pumping out creatures.
5) Merfolk Sovereign doesn't do enough work in this deck. It's 3 mana for the same effect as the two-mana lords (Master of the Pearl Trident and Lord of Atlantis), and its second ability is useless. Run Master of Waves or Harbinger of the Tides instead.
6) Cursecatcher. This is your one-drop. It kicks ass in this format.
7) I'd suggest maybe running some amount of Vapor Snags mainboard. It's really effective.
8) Hurkyl's Recall is a great sideboard option against Affinity. Ghost Quarter and Tectonic Edge shut down Tron. Gut Shot is great against a lot of faster decks. Tidebinder Mage is great against Burn and anything with Tarmogoyf. Spell Pierce for removal-heavy decks and Relic of Progenitus hoses graveyard shenanigans. Ceremonious Rejection for Tron and Affinity. Unsubstantiate and Flashfreeze if the matchup demands it. Unified Will, Echoing Truth, and Sea's Claim are all viable sideboard options as well.
9) I'd suggest you consult my list as well as the MTGSalvation primer for Merfolk
2 days ago
First and foremost--thank you.
Eternal Witness is a card that my brother keeps on encouraging, however, I have just felt that Snapcaster Mage at a grand total of 3 mana can do something like Fatal Push on the same turn it entered. Witness is a good card in general. I think it would be too slow here, but better off in a "combo-y" deck, with "pieces."
Tasigur, the Golden Fang is a really good card. On my description for the deck--you will notice there is a tab with "Deck Before Banning." It had 2-3 Tasigurs, with a couple of Hooting Mandrills, and Gurmag Angler. I have used it before and as you and many, many others pointed out--it is a "non-bo" with Grim Flayer, Snapcaster Mage, and Tarmogoyf. I was using the idea of these creatures all together, I had already noticed it, but players asked about how that was fairing with Delirium, and I was also running Murderous Cut. Normally I would consider the "Tas, Monkey, Fish" package, but I do not want to Relic of Progenitus my own strategy. It hurts badly; especially when they board in graveyard hate.
In regards to Enchantments/Artifacts--I have tested with a few things, Courser of Kruphix, Bitterblossom, Executioner's Capsule, Scrapheap Scrounger, Loxodon Warhammer, and even Batterskull. Unfortunately, if I were to use a different card type removal spell, it would have to be Executioner's Capsule, for the sake of at least a Turn 1 move. Unbridled Growth is strictly in this 75 to:
- Replace a card in hand and cycles through the deck.
- Caters to Delirium and Tarmogoyf without repercussion--at anytime, for free.
- Mana fixes and combats against Blood Moon.
Thank you for your suggestions. Hopefully I was able to clear up why there are no super extra value 1 drop 4/5 Delve creatures (with abilities) in this list. I would totally love to, if Grim Flayer was a base 4/4 (could you even imagine!) I will take you up on the Eternal Witness, however. Everyone keeps saying "witness", "witness."
2 days ago
Guinessthemenace yeah me and some friends always buy booster boxes so when we buy the new mm17 I'm really hoping for some blood moons and some other stuff. It was a pretty crazy set over all, but yeah some things that will definitely get in to the side board eventually are Relic of Progenitus and Shattering Spree or Shatterstorm I haven't decided yet
3 days ago
Oh man, don't apologize for constructive critisism. It's not like you said "Your deck sucks" :D But yeah there is a lot to break down with a deck I haven't played in a while, but I'll try.
Dungrove Elder has been the MVP even before Fatal Push, that's for sure. A definite playset. As for the venues, I don't actually own this on fully paper yet (Got a few cards to sell from mm17 though) and my whole meta is what is played on mtg:o tournament practice. There are insanely strong decks played there and this still fared close to 50/50 winrate at the later stages of testing. This list also revolves heavily on Treefolk Harbinger tutoring and anti-noncreature. Chord and CoCo might be okay as 1ofs. I've tried both for a bit. I also have a playset of paths so thats not the reason I don't include them, It's just that I can combo the Cribs when needed. Ooze was in the original SB but I just preferred Rest in Peace or Relic of Progenitus for gravehate and make the combat damage happen with just treefolk. I also tried Assaul Formations for a long time but just decided to take them out since I'm not running Birds or Tower Defense. This list doesnt swing otk's, but rather grind it out every game. Spellskite has been on my to get list for a long time and Selfless Spirit looks really nice too. I also have to admit, that I have a strong bias towards treefolk tribal, ever since I decided to make them work a long time ago :) Really appreciate your time and thoughts!
3 days ago
Cards to consider:
Why do you have mill cards when that is not your win condition?
3 days ago
Guinessthemenace yeah I was think about some sideboard hate and really like Relic of Progenitus for graveyard hate it also provides card draw. For artifact hate that one isn't bad I also like Shattering Spree. I was also considering Blood Moon, but havent built up the courage to buy them.
1 week ago
Thanks for the kind words, Shadow12721! I see what you were going for now, appreciate the suggestions. The first one uses Eldritch Evolution, which is just too slow for the kind of deck I'm trying to go for. You already have to have a creature out first, and it only grabs one creature at a time, unlike Collected. It's basically a slower Birthing Pod that you can only use once. Also no Chord at all is a little weird. But I do like Nether Traitor for some reason, I'm just hesitant to use it because of how many times people wipe the graveyard in the current meta with things like Relic of Progenitus or Scavenging Ooze. The second deck, unfortunately, is just casual so there's all sorts of crazy legacy and banned things going on in there. I appreciate looking at another deck's strategy and see what other people are up to, so thank you for the links :). I hope you find a way to adapt the deck in a way that works for you, just beware the expensive monetary cost of the lands. Cause holy crap.
1 week ago
@celsha While yes Martial Law doesn't do much in the deck, Grafdigger's Cage will result in a disruption to 5 other cards in the deck (Emeria, The Sky Ruin, Field of Souls, Auramancer, Graceful Reprieve, and Defy Death) that is already seen in Rest in Peace, Samurai of the Pale Curtain, and Relic of Progenitus.