|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Modern Masters 2015 Edition (MM2)||Rare|
|New Phyrexia (NPH)||Rare|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
( can be paid with either B or 2 life.)
Choose target card in a graveyard other than a basic land card. Search its owner's graveyard, hand, and library for all cards with the same name as that card and exile them. Then that player shuffles his or her library.
Surgical Extraction Discussion
1 week ago
match_lighter: Thank you for your appreciation :)
For the manabase: the next plan is to go +2 Fetchlands, -1x Forest , -1x Snow-Covered Swamp . Since Forest and Overgrown Tomb are both fetchable with the "Forest"-keyword I can go for the budget version of Verdant Catacombs : Wooded Foothills / Windswept Heath .
The only reason to run Snow-Covered Swamp is against Blood Moon , which is not played very much, also i'd need a full playset of Verdant Catacombs to fetch is consistently. So neither my budget allows it nor have I the requirements by the Meta to play it.
(It allows me to play Inquisition of Kozilek and Plague Stinger , otherwise I would use the to animate Inkmoth Nexus ).
Regarding Pendelhaven : I upgraded to 2 last week and need to playtest. You increase the consistency of drawing it but also run the risk of beeing stuck with one on the field and one in hand. Need to see how the playtests go and then I'll decide if I go down to 1 again. 3 seems an overkill to me.
I never thought of using Surgical Extraction in such a matter, it seems like a good idea. Maybe I can borrow the card or proxy it for playtests, but currently it is out of my budget.
1 week ago
Love this deck! There are a few cards I would suggest, firstly the mana base looks nice, but if your budget permits Verdant Catacombs would be ideal. I don't know how I feel about the Snow-Covered Swamp , as it really hurts to have a land that doesn't produce . Pendelhaven needs to go down to a one of in my opinion, though it is really awesome when you draw it making one want to play a playset, it is brutally painful when you have Haven1 and then draw Haven2. Inquisition of Kozilek is definitely a good reason to play in infect, and I feel that one card that matches well with it is Surgical Extraction , be it in the board or main deck, it allows you to target a fetchland in the opponents graveyard, look at their hand, and choose if you want to attack. If they have removal and you don't have an answer you don't have to attack, if the don't attack. Seeing you as semi-budget Surgical Extraction can be a bit expensive but it's on a down trend currently so I'd look at picking up a few copies soon.
Anyways, awesome deck, good luck brewing!
1 week ago
I would put something to exile opponents graveyard.. I play a deck that runs 4 Elixir of Immortality and Day's Undoing . Leyline of the Void and Bojuka Bog will help. I play Bojuka Bog as free exile graveyard spell. Definitely get either Extirpate or Surgical Extraction
1 week ago
- All of the above suggestions I agree with.
- I would also say that you are trying to cast big 4 mana/ 5 mana spells so youll need more ramp to do that. I have a mono green version simular to your deck. Mono Green Control!?!. I am running an extra mana dork which can really be helpful. You have a lot of double green spells.
- As for the maybe board Vivien Reid isnt gonna dig for the spells you want it finds creatures I wouldnt put it in. Nissa, Vital Force makes you commit more to green being you will have so many doubel green spells. If you are going to add a Nissa i would add Nissa, Who Shakes the World . If you are playing a lot of infect Melira, Sylvok Outcast might help you out but its a SB card at best. Spellskite is a soild SB card against burn. Plow Under is double green, but you in a way get to Time Walk . They have to redraw cards they have already played, and are cut off mana giving you ad advantage. It helps the most when you are in the lead, when behind it is not a great play. Kessig Wolf Run might be a "win more card" its fine when you have no cards in hand, but i dont forsee that happening being you have big spells, so youll only really cast 1 spell a turn. Surgical Extraction helps with graveyard decks 2x SB is where I would put it if you fight those decks.
3 weeks ago
You need cards like Crucible of Worlds , you may mill your lands and with this you can play them and fix your mana.
Wand of denial is not modern legal, but you can replace it with something very similar Pyxis of Pandemonium and also is a graveyard hate card.
The big problem i see is this deck is quite slow and doesnt have a lot of control early game , which you absolutely need if you dont want to get screwed. Early game is harder to control what they draw with the "lanterns" because you wont have most of them, until later in the game, so you need cheap discard to remove the big threats from their hand, the same with counters, it is less powerful late game because your lanterns and discard do most of the job to not let your opponent get their cards but that wont always happen so you need counters and removals to control as much as possible , they shouldnt draw what they need and if they draw it you discard that, and if that didnt work you may use a counter or destroy that creature, or the ensnaring bridge but the last one only works against attacking creatures (mostly big ones) against combo or decks with small creatures or raw damage is more of a dead card,i would have 3 ensnaring bridge you may need some more removals/discard/counters instead. You need low to zero cost cantrips to get those artifacts faster like Mishra's Bauble Cerulean Wisps (not the best but 1 mana for what it does is good and is budget) .
Orbs of warding i think you use them mostly for hexproof rather than the synergy with ensaring bridge + orbs though it is a good combo to prevent most damage it comes as early as turn 6 you may need to use other things than get that thing down if youre looking for hexproof Witchbane Orb is lower mana cost .
The eradicate and zendikon combo looks pretty cool as wincon but im not sure how often you can pull it off but if you do you remove most of its deck as you said works better with mono coloured but a wincon that only has a big impact in some decks like mono green elves makes the deck less versatile i would move them to sideboard though i liked the combo. Remember you need low cost removal, you have to stop the other player rather than actively kill him.
Your counters are very high cost you use them more to mill and kill your opponent than to protect yourself. What will you do against a combo if they get all pieces by turn 4 like a retraction helix+ altar of the brood(look for this deck on google) combo, maybe they wont use their combo but you must save your mana to counter that, the high cost of the counter is slowing you down and your opponent may have a secondary win condition for example with a Genesis Chamber . You cant counter 2 things at once(not only that, you may need to destroy something or discard and you cant because of the counter) with that high cost, if you had cheaper counters or discard you could have removed the pieces long ago, even in turn 1 if you Thoughtseize or Inquisition of Kozilek the Altar of the Brood and if you dont want that to come back Surgical Extraction which you can cast almost for free and also mills, Sadistic sacrament slows you a lot.
Good counters for early Mana Leak Disallow Dispel Negate Remand (this one also a cantrip) Hinder has a good synergy with your deck. This deck is hard to master because you need knowledge about what kind of deck has your enemy, to know what to remove and when also you can check other decks with the same strategy, it is called "Lantern control". Lands that enter the battefield tapped slow a lot, remove Skyline Cascade,Jwar Isle Refuge,Maze of Ith doesnt give mana it may screw you and you dont really need it and it isnt modern legal
Lower the mana curve (counters,removal)
Must add discard
Must add draw cards, cantrips or things like that,
Spreading Seas destroys fetch lands and is a cantrip you may add them.
3 weeks ago
- ok So i have a UW version I can share with you Trap Mill
- The UB version is probably better Here is what I would do: 4x Hedron Crab (fetchlands make it to good) and probably 4x Manic Scribe That is it for creatures other than maybe Snapcaster Mage (archeive trap has an alternitive cost so you may pay 0 mana to flash it back).
- 4x Archive Trap Glimpse the Unthinkable Visions of Beyond , 3x Surgical Extraction (Modern loves its graveyard) Fatal Push (every deck needs removal and this helps so much), 1x Crypt Incursion life is nice, and its graveyard hate at instant speed.
- Mesmeric Orb it is symmetric but things in your graveyard isnt the worst. Ensnaring Bridge stops people from attacking you which is amazing
- Search for Azcanta Flip also really helps and flips easy which lets you filter, dont run more than 2
- Field of Ruin helps you its also forced search!
- 6 fetchlands, 2 Watery Grave , 3x Shelldock Isle , 3 basics (more islands), 3x Darkslick Shores
- Other tempting adds: Mission Briefing Murderous Cut Collective Brutality
- I also like Scheming Symmetry
3 weeks ago
Neat tribal deck!
I see you've got some extra room in your sideboard though, have you ever considered some Surgical Extraction or Dismember ? Surgical Extraction is a nice removal spell that also lets you see what kind of deck your opponent is running and as far as Dismember goes it's just a card that straight up wrecks everything :D
3 weeks ago
META CHANGE / DECK CHANGE
Update at 09/2019
Surgical Extraction occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.11%
All decks: 0.06%