|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Modern Masters 2015 Edition (MM2)||Rare|
|New Phyrexia (NPH)||Rare|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
- Kolaghan's Command and Surgical Extraction
- Priority Question. Surgical Extraction on my end step.
- Can I surgical extraction a faithless looting in response of my opponent flashback it?
- Does grafdigger's cage stops a Surgical Extraction from being cast on a graveyard?
- Does "searching" a hand count as a look or reveal?
( can be paid with either B or 2 life.)
Choose target card in a graveyard other than a basic land card. Search its owner's graveyard, hand, and library for all cards with the same name as that card and exile them. Then that player shuffles his or her library.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Surgical Extraction Discussion
13 hours ago
OK, so you make them sacrifice/discard/mill and they you exile all the copies that they have. Cool, cool.
However, that is a lot of lost CA for very little gain. When you play a card like Surgical Extraction, if you do not exile a card from their hand with it, you will be down a card from the exchange. And you have almost 0 you gain back that CA. Additionally, the bounce spell make you spend a card, while the oppoennt does not. Overall, you are trying things that are too cool for their own good. Your cards have so little overlap that it is very easy to end with lopsided hands that lose you the game - extra shrines, jace drawn prior to turn 5. 1/1 fliers for 3, and more than half the deck does not impact the board in any way. Ifg you do not draw the right number of cards at the right time, you will lose the game due to your own deck.
2 weeks ago
I would personally cut the Plague Belcher for 3x Bontu the Glorified. Belcher is a fun and sometimes effective card but this isn't a dedicated zombie build so it does loose some of effectiveness. Bontu has the same body and perks but is harder to deal with and plays a little bit nicer with your reoccurring creatures. In the 4th slot I would put a singleton Herald of Torment. It's good on it's own but can also enhance another body to get damage through when other means fail.
Smallpox is a valid option for this deck!
Small tweak, I would MB 3x Thoughtseize & 3x IoK. I can't imagine any matches you would really want all 8 copies. Maybe Lantern Control? I would replace the 2 SB slots with Bile Blight. Bile Blight hits tons of stuff in modern and is very underrated.
Infinite Obliteration may be good if you face Storm or COCO decks often.
2 weeks ago
What is Academy Ruins for? Just to recur equipment if they're destroyed?
How do you think this will fare in the upcoming meta? I expect a lot of RUG Delver and Reanimator, and I think both of those could prey on a deck with this high of a curve. True-Name Nemesis and Jace are very slow. They're obviously powerful, but do you need that many copies of grindy midrange cards?
Looks sweet though. I need a new legacy deck post-banning, and I think I'll end up playing some variant of Stoneblade. I just don't know if it's the right deck for me.
2 weeks ago
In an effort to fight combo the deck needs more instants in the side. For next time I’m going to try -1 Ancient Grudge, -3 Anger of the Gods, +2 Abrade, and +2 Volcanic Fallout. This adds 4 removal spells for the creature combo enablers. Another option I’m considering is -1 Scavenging Ooze +1 Surgical Extraction to give us some instant speed GY hate.
2 weeks ago
I like the way you categorize the two subarchetypes here. With the HEAVY caveat that I don't have that many reps with the deck yet, here are a few thoughts:
- Something to keep in mind when deckbuilding is that each non-White card we add to the 75 reduces the value of Martyr of Sands by 3 life, which in turn reduces the value of Serra Ascendant.
- For this reason, Rule of Law might be worth looking at vs. Damping Sphere, and Runed Halo (thought it's super-pricey) or additional Nevermores vs. Sorcerous Spyglass. There are obviously other tradeoffs in the cards too, so I'm not sure what would be best for your playstyle/meta/75. But it's maybe something to think about :-)
- I was running 3x Surgical Extraction in the side for a while and it saved my bacon a number of times. But I recently switched to Rest in Peace ... partly because it's a White card, but also because it barely hurts us post-board (since opponents almost always bring in Gravehate against us, making Proclamation of Rebirth dead in hand anyways). Here too, I'm not really recommending RIP over Extraction (especially since Extraction vs. Tron is sooooooo good); just throwing out some more thoughts ...
- A few other points on the Gideon package: The Gideons are very strong vs. Wrath effects and Planeswalkers (which can be a struggle otherwise). Also, Gideon of the Trials' Emblem can help vs. some Combo decks.
- Speaking of 'Walkers: I've tried Hex Parasite and it's very strong, but it suffers sometimes as a non-White card too. I'm on Flash-flyers lately, and Restoration Angel is my current favorite ... Archangel Avacyn Flip was good but a little too cute, and though I love Aven Mindcensor's effect I like Resto's bigger size.
2 weeks ago
I use a lot more mass destruction it looks like than your build.
Don't like Thraben Inspector? Being able to fetch it has helped in my little testing.
Opinion of Crucible of Worlds? I'm really liking it in the side. Been proxying it till m19 to pick it up.
proxying Surgical Extraction too ( can't afford it yet) with friends and it definitely can help vs some decks definitely worth a try.
Would love to hear more of your online results too