|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2014 (C14)||Uncommon|
|Magic 2015 (M15)||Uncommon|
|Magic 2013 (M13)||Uncommon|
|Time Spiral "Timeshifted" (TSB)||Rare|
|The Dark (DRK)||Uncommon|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
, Sacrifice Tormod's Crypt: Exile all cards from target player's graveyard.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (26)||Justinaut , LTmiller , raymaverick97 , pskinn01 , maR2307 , Bovine073 , Kimimaro , saj0219 , xXThormentXx , Jpegwun , , Sparky41 , Nebman227 , TheDuggernaught , ironax , Benniator , Hootiequack , acbooster , sonnet666 , dplerner , buildingadeck , iurxos , xpsychovampx , Mousemke , CAPTAINxCOOKIES , tlhunter07|
|Want (2)||Xue-Kaihua , SpaghettiToastBook|
Tormod's Crypt Discussion
3 days ago
4 days ago
Hey Frank. Sorry I haven't been active lately. Lot of work going on.
Stealing generals is a good idea. Most of the time my opponents' generals aren't integral to their strategy unless they're about to win on the turn they cast them, sit in the command zone the entire game, or warrant spot removal upon play. So for me, it wouldn't be as good in that regard either. If you're getting a good usage out of it though, I'm sure it's worth a slot.
This is fair. Depends on the amount of spot removal in your meta though, and the resources you have in your hand when you play the card.
Having one of the altars isn't necessary for the lock, though it does help us protect it. Even if we can lock an opponent down for just one turn, I think the tempo loss is good in our favor.
That seems like a good assessment of the card. Perhaps I am giving it too much credit.
I am most likely going to play Tormod's Crypt over another weaker card soon.
5 days ago
Welcome to Modern! Please take all these comments with healthy skepticism, as I have no idea what your meta is like nor your personal playstyle. :-)
First, I know you asked about sideboard, but I wanted to mention ...
- You might consider Cathedral of War. I'm not sure what the right number is, so I'd start testing at 4x and work down from there if you can't stand it.
- Vines of Vastwood is amazing, and I rec' running 4x (instead of a split with Blossoming Defense). Also, in case you're not aware: Because of the way the card is worded, it's actually better than hexproof ... you can use it on your opponent's creatures, to prevent them from targeting their own dudes with pump spells and various abilities (like Equip, Modular, and Crew).
- Though Groundswell is great is a 2-color deck (because of the Fetchlands), I personally think it's kind of meh in a Mono-G deck. If you haven't already done so, you might try testing 2x Groundswell and 2x Giant Growth and just see which you prefer. You could also try it with an extra land or two.
On sideboard, I try to always consider the following areas:
- Extra Protection: Meta-dependent, but I try to always consider some extra Vines of Vastwood, Blossoming Defense, or Apostle's Blessing. Also, though it's not really protection, Shaper's Sanctuary is intriguing. Not sure what I think of it yet, but I'm looking forward to testing it once XLN is released and the price normalizes.
- Extra Evasion: Meta-dependent, but I try to always consider extra Trample and Unblockable (e.g., Apostle's Blessing) effects.
- Removal: 1x Dismember is great. If too pricey though, any Green fight card is solid. I like Nature's Way, personally.
- Gravehate: 2x sounds about right. I'm on Tormod's Crypt lately, because it's the only thing that's fast enough vs. Vengevine.
- Artifacthate: I'm not personally a fan of Nature's Claim in the side, but that's because there's a lot of Eldrazi Tron in my meta and they run 4x Chalice of the Void in the main ... and Chalice with X=1 will shut Infect down hard. I like Seal of Primordium but Deglamer/Unravel the Aether may be better depending on the meta.
- Extra land: If I find myself bringing in high-CMC cards from the sideboard, sometimes adding an extra land makes sense.
- Burnhate: If there's a bunch of Burn in your meta, you may want some disposable blockers and some lifegain. Spellskite (blocker + protection) and Kitchen Finks (blocker + lifegain) are amazing, but super-pricey. Maybe something like Wall of Roots, Steel Wall, or Wall of Tanglecord. I've no idea on the lifegain ... Nourish maybe? Or maybe Jaddi Offshoot (though I'm not sure it's worth it with 20 Lands).
5 days ago
I would recommend going up to 4 Opt as your deck gets much more reliable that way. I can see why your using Harnessed Lightning but do consider Lightning Strike. In the sideboard I recommend a couple of copies of Tormod's Crypt for Rally combo and the occasional reanimator deck you might come up against. Frontier for Life!!!!
5 days ago
Here are some suggestions off the top of my head. You are at 63 cards. And I'm fairly sure we've had the 60 card discussion before. :D
Consider the following changes:
-1 Bomber Corps
-1 Lightning Strike
-1 Thunderous Wrath
That drops you to 60 without any major changes to the the deck.
Here are some other cards I want you to consider:
Crash Through and Faithless Looting for card draw.
You are going to need a sideboard for more competitive environments. And the sideboard also works for testing maybe cards. Take a look at Legion Loyalist, Stonewright, Tormod's Crypt, Electrostatic Bolt, Smelt, Shattering Spree, Shattering Blow, Monastery Swiftspear, Skullcrack, Collateral Damage, Barrage of Expendables, Pyrite Spellbomb and Searing Blood as either main or sideboard cards.
3 Tormod's Crypt
2 Searing Blood
2 Shattering Blow
3 ???, not sure on this one.
Let me know what you think.
6 days ago
I think my meta is more creature based. Stealing generals is a good strategy for us where it would not be viable in a pure competitive environment. Thalakos Deceiver is a little on the mana intensive side but has the potential to force our opponent's hand. It would be hard in theory for this to be the first or even second worse wizard among the 23 in my version of the deck.
Spending four mana just to Thoughtseize a Swords to Plowshares (for example) out of an opponent's hand is not ideal. Of course, you might have paid four mana to win the game if that is all the instant speed removal they had and the threat of Glen Elendra Archmage forces them to use it.
I am not certain of Mistbind Clique. It can be used outside of Ashnod's Altar or Phyrexian Altar to stop an opponent from winning that turn or to slow them down. I just am hesitant playing a situational card that depends on having one of altars to possibly lock out our opponents.
Ixalan was kind to my Edgar Markov deck but I do not see any additions for Inalla. Pillar of Origins only works for 23 cards in my deck and I do not think it is better than the other mana rocks that are in the deck.
Tormod's Crypt is the most played graveyard hate card you listed in competitive circles.
6 days ago
That's fair. I'm not even sure if I'm looking to slot in a steal-y creature in general.
Some of the removal is enchantment based, such as the The Ur-Dragon deck. The rest use spot removal and board wipes to keep me down. Playing a card solely to draw removal can be good sometimes, though it's frustrating to lose so much tempo.
If we have a sac outlet, we can sac Mistbind Clique to dodge spot removal, which is nice.
As for Ixalan:
Opt could be cute as another cantrip.
Pillar of Origins is going to be an autoinclude for us.
Vanquisher's Banner would be nice. But it's expensive and slow.
6 days ago
I ran Akiri and Bruce Tarl as my partner commanders for a long time with great success (it was also one of my favorites). I'm just going to throw out a bunch of things that worked for me and some of my thoughts.
I am wondering about the Eldrazi. They take A LOT of mana. Red/white is usually struggling to get that much mana and I'm not really seeing some of the cards I would have expected to really put lands on the battle field and or cheat them in. Deathrender, Burnished Hart, Pilgrim's Eye.
For equipment you are running the swords. They were too expensive for me. Some of the equipment that I was using include: Godsend, Prowler's Helm, Trailblazer's Boots, Assault Suit this is more for sacrafice protection but it is hilarious to see somebody use your commander to kill off somebody else, Mask of Memory.
Removal: If you are running sunforger I cannot recommend enough Mistveil Plains please note it is also a plains card so it is easier to tutor. I would also suggest adding a bit more artifact/enchantment removal. Fate Forgotten is cheap and fetchable with sunforger. I would also highly recommend at least a couple of boardwipes. There is a boardwipe in white that kills non white creatures and Nevinyrral's Disk has some fun interactions with Darksteel Forge if you go this rout I would also pick up Armory Automaton for a beater.
General utility: Mimic Vat is one of my auto includes in everything. Godo, Bandit Warlord is just awesome in this deck, Open the Vaults, Thought Vessel. Depending on meta I would look at some graveyard hate too. I was running both Rest in Peace and Tormod's Crypt but there are a bunch of recursion decks I play against regularly. Hellkite Tyrant is another possibility depending on meta.
Good luck with Akiri. -Tree