|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2014 (C14)||Uncommon|
|Magic 2015 (M15)||Uncommon|
|Magic 2013 (M13)||Uncommon|
|Time Spiral "Timeshifted" (TSB)||Rare|
|The Dark (DRK)||Uncommon|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
, Sacrifice Tormod's Crypt: Exile all cards from target player's graveyard.
Tormod's Crypt Discussion
1 week ago
I have a friend that runs a budget-y version of spirits, and let me tell you Remand is super important to his strategy. However, he is not running a Tallowisp package either which eats up some slots...
A good budget card for this strategy is Ojutai's Command . It's pretty flexible and says draw a card and can work as an ALTERNATIVE to Cryptic Command if you want to. I don't know that that's necessary either though.
As for some sideboard options, graveyard hate should be a number one priority right now with dredge and Arclight Phoenix being silly. Rest in Peace is probably the best card for your list, however, Relic of Progenitus and Tormod's Crypt would also work (Relic > Tormod's). A great creature for this list in the sideboard is Remorseful Cleric as it can serve as a creature or as graveyard hate, so maybe consider this as well.
Some counter magic in the side is also great, namely Negate to beat up on any and all non creature spells as well as Spell Snare to just stop 2-drops ( Snapcaster Mage , Manamorphose and any of storms Rituals or Dorks to name a few). Other great options against storm (and storm type decks, looking at you Phoenix type of decks) can be Thalia, Guardian of Thraben , Render Silent and even Silence to stall out a turn.
For your sideboard right now, I'd for sure recommend putting in...
2x Spell Snare
and then removing...
2x Spell Pierce
2x Mana Leak
1 week ago
This deck seems sweet! Looking through the list, I'm much more convinced that the aggro side works!
I don't like: Hero of Oxid Ridge (this card just seems bad) Tormod's Crypt , (there are better graveyard removal options) Journey to Nowhere and Oblivion Ring (these always get removed in my experience) Borrowed Hostility (I think I want my pump spells to either draw a card or be stronger than this)
I'd test: Mirrorwing Dragon Pyromancer's Goggles Primal Amulet Flip (this saves you a lot of mana on the 2+ cmc spells) Zada, Hedron Grinder (synergizes really well) Shelter (draw seems incredibly important for feather) Weathered Wayfarer (staple for boros imo) Crimson Wisps (better than accelerate) Chandra's Ignition Fight with Fire Boros Charm is probably just better than Assault Strobe and should probably come in.
2 weeks ago
DarkStarStorm What do you think about its potential? Also regarding Tormod's Crypt vs. Nihil Spellbomb , I like that Tormod’s is free and I’m not tempted to crack it early. But Nihil has that sweet redraw, it’s just too tempting for me if I kinda want another card haha.
3 weeks ago
Just to leave a note on Hymn to Tourach . It may or may not be legal in the setting you're playing in. It has been printed at common but it was never released online and so isn't legal according to MTGO rules which some LGS use for their events.
I think Tormod's Crypt is in the same boat.
Maybe you already knew that, and if so, sorry! If not, then you might just want to double check pauper legality on Scryfall.
3 weeks ago
This is nice. I've been looking for a good death and taxes build in EDH for some time, and recently realized that Kambal was pretty much exactly what I was looking for.
I notice that there are a lot of unlimited hand size effects, 5 if I'm counting right. This seems like too much for a deck that doesn't appear to have much card draw; maybe consider taking at least a few out for more impactful cards like Underworld Coinsmith . The Coinsmith gets even better if you add more enchantments like Sphere of Safety , Blind Obedience , and possibly Dictate of Erebos .
There also seems to be a lot of graveyard hate. It looks like a couple of those cards are actually pretty useful since they have additional effects besides exiling a graveyard, but Relic of Progenitus and Tormod's Crypt don't do anything else, so I would replace them with more useful cards unless you have a lot of graveyard decks in your meta. Maybe consider Aetherflux Reservoir ?
3 weeks ago
How do you feel about a green splash?
R/B are arguably the worst 2 colors for sideboards (with white then green being the best).
As for Tron, pick your flavor of land destruction. Crumble to Dust is my pick. They can win through almost any form of hate, even Blood Moon and Pithing Needle effects so you just need to be quicker than they are. Keeping them off Tron will makes things easier.
Your actually decently tech'd against burn with Izzet Charm , Rune Snag , Lightning Bolt and Remand . If you need something more Kraken's Eye or Dragon's Claw can work wonders. I'm a personal fan of Amulet of Safekeeping as it's useful for against many decks and great against Storm. I also like Fountain of Renewal since it can be played turn 1 and involves no additional investment, plus can be cashed in if it gets to a point its not needed.
As far as the graveyard decks, you could run Relic of Progenitus or Surgical Extraction without splashing. You could run Leyline of the Void but if you side it in you would have to commit to mulling for it. Sentinel Totem and Tormod's Crypt are decent as well.
3 weeks ago
> weird mashup of ramp into semi-big threats with suboptimal control elements.
That's actually a great definition of what Ponza is all about! I usually describe the deck more like "aggressive ramp into bulk rares that you would never expect could be good in Modern, with an overlay of annoying mana-denial Control", but yours will certainly do. The thing is, it works surprisingly well in many metas.
> besides fetchlands, what activated or triggered abilities are you hoping to stop with Repudiate / Replicate
I actually laid that out in the deck description, but in case you missed it here it is again:
- Opponent transforms a Thing in the Ice? Repudiate the triggered ability and our team stays on the field.
- Opponent wants to make us sac' a creature with Lili, put a Terminus on top with Jace, or ultimate whatever random Planeswalker they have? Repudiate the activated ability and we've totally turned the game around.
- Opponent tries to Modular a ton of +1/+1 counters onto their attacking Inkmoth Nexus, wipe our board with an Oblivion Stone, Equip a Batterskull, Crew a Smuggler's Copter, etc, etc, etc? Repudiate gives us answers (or at least options) we never had in 'normal' Ponza.
Here are more details though, looking at the top meta decks in turn ...
- UR Phoenix: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Awoken Horror . Often good vs. triggers of Snapcaster Mage and Arclight Phoenix .
- Dredge: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Bloodghast and Narcomoeba (if opp has multiple Prized Amalgam in the graveyard) or Prized Amalgam (if there's only one). Often good vs. triggers of Creeping Chill and Stinkweed Imp , and activated ability of Shriekhorn .
- Tron: Often game-changing vs. -X of Ugin, the Spirit Dragon or activated ability of Oblivion Stone . Often good vs. triggers of Wurmcoil Engine , Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger , activated ability of Walking Ballista , Expedition Map , and Relic of Progenitus , and -3 of Karn Liberated .
- Humans: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Kitesail Freebooter , Meddling Mage , Phantasmal Image , and Reflector Mage , and activated ability of Aether Vial . Often good vs. triggers of Champion of the Parish , Noble Hierarch , and Thalia's Lieutenant (plus Anafenza, the Foremost , Deputy of Detention , Kambal, Consul of Allocation , and Sin Collector , if they have them).
- UW Control: Often game-changing vs. actived ability of Celestial Colonnade . Often good vs. +1 (since they're tapped out the next turn) and -3 of Teferi, Hero of Dominaria , and 0 of Jace, the Mind Sculptor (if we think they have a Terminus ).
- Burn: Often good vs. trigger of Monastery Swiftspear and Eidolon of the Great Revel , and activated ability of Grim Lavamancer .
- Hardened Affinity: Often game-changing vs. Modular of Arcbound Ravager and trigger of Hangarback Walker , and activated ability of Inkmoth Nexus . Often good vs. triggered ability of Arcbound Worker , and activated ability of Walking Ballista , Steel Overseer , Welding Jar , Animation Module , Throne of Geth , and Blinkmoth Nexus .
- Grixis Shadow: Meh. Perhaps good vs. trigger of Snapcaster Mage or activated ability of Mishra's Bauble .
- Amulet Titan: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Primeval Titan . Often good vs. trigger of Amulet of Vigor , Trinket Mage and Bojuka Bog , and activated ability of Walking Ballista , Engineered Explosives , Gemstone Mine , Ghost Quarter , Slayers' Stronghold , and Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion .
- RG Rock: Often game-changing vs. +1 and -2 of Liliana of the Veil , +1 and -2 of Liliana, the Last Hope . Often good vs. triggered and activated abilities of Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet , triggered abilites of Tireless Tracker , and activated ability of Scavenging Ooze , Hissing Quagmire , and Treetop Village .
- Whir Prison: Meh. Perhaps good vs. trigger of Bottled Cloister and activated ability of Engineered Explosives , Mishra's Bauble , Tormod's Crypt , Welding Jar , and Inventors' Fair .
- Old-school Affinity: Often game-changing vs. Modular of Arcbound Ravager , Equip of Cranial Plating , and activated ability of Inkmoth Nexus . Often good vs. trigger of Signal Pest and activated ability of Welding Jar and Blinkmoth Nexus .
- Ad Nauseum: Meh. Perhaps good vs. activated ability of Simian Spirit Guide .
- Spirits: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Phantasmal Image , Reflector Mage , and Spell Queller , and activated ability of Mausoleum Wanderer and Aether Vial . Often good vs. trigger of Mausoleum Wanderer , Noble Hierarch , Rattlechains , Geist of Saint Traft , and Deputy of Detention , and activated ability of Selfless Spirit .
All that said, it's clear that in many cases a 2-mana counterspell (e.g., Negate or Mana Leak ) is better than a 2-mana stifle effect ... certainly UW Control has found that to be the case! What's not clear to me yet is if that's the case in UG Control as well ...
3 weeks ago
as a chump blocker is not the game plan you want to be stuck on.
would probably be a better option.
The problem is that you really don't have any other Zombies to Reanimate with its last ability (outside of a second copy). If you like the menace, Glint-Sleeve Siphoner is a better alternative. The possible card advantage, while slow and tedious, is a nice upside. If a recurring threat is what you want, Bloodghast is the better (More expensive) option.
Relentless Dead thrives with cards like Prized Amalgam and Gravecrawler . Graveyard decks are kind of a thing right now, so there is TONS of hate floating around. Mainboard Nihil Spellbomb , Surgical Extraction and Tormod's Crypt would throw a deck like that to the wolves imo.
Tormod's Crypt occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.05%
All decks: 0.04%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.03%