Marang River Prowler
Creature — Human Rogue
Marang River Prowler can't block and can't be blocked.
You may cast Marang River Prowler from your graveyard as long as you control a black or green permanent.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Marang River Prowler Discussion
3 weeks ago
Thank you very much for the praise and the nice suggestions, nighthawk8!
Yes I agree and I am really trying to find the sweet spot between strong, flavourful and fun to play with this deck.
I'll comment on all of your suggestions below. Short version: I'll definitely try Smuggler's Copter, Umezawa's Jitte and Thieves' Fortune. Some of the others (like Duskmantle Seer, Thopter Spy Network, Notion Thief and Drana, Liberator of Malakir will go into my "Maybeboard" because there could be a spot for them in the future. The rest of the cards was already in an earlier version of the deck and did not work well enough.
Detailed comments on the suggestions Show
- Smuggler's Copter: I haven't thought about that card yet but you are right: art, style and functionality fit very well! I can crew it with Sygg, River Cutthroat so it is easy to get both the loot and draw triggers in turn 3.
- Thopter Spy Network: This is an interesting card and the abilities would fit very well. I think I excluded it early because I did not use to play as many artifacts as today. I'll have to check how often I have an artifact in play to decide on this -> otherwise I risk having a dead card in my hand / play.
- Duskmantle Seer: I like the style of this card a lot. a 4/4 flying for 4cmc is also solid. He lacks an enter the battlefield ability and rogue creature type but he might be worth a slot, especially because his draw ability can trigger Syggs draw ability (would be much better if the ability would tigger in my opponents upkeeps though).
- Marang River Prowler: This one was in an early version of the deck. I also thought that he would be a boss but unfortunately he did not deliver what I expected. The problem is: I can't cast him before turn 3 and then he does not deal enough damage to trigger Sygg. Also I can usually keep a few creatures back in my hand so I do have replacement ready if one of my creatures dies. And if the board gets wiped I also can't cast him because I have almost no black non-creature permanents in the deck..
- Notion Thief: This guy is really cool, it lets me steal card draws (which is something I can't steal yet!). I had him in the deck for a short time but was unable to get any value out of him.. But I should probably give him another try, especially in multiplayer games where he can get a ton of value.
- Whispersilk Cloak: This one has some nice flavour but otherwise it does not work in this deck: for this cmc and equip costs my rogues do always prefer a knife (or sword).
- Dimir Cutpurse: The lack of evasion limits the usefulness of this otherwise cery cool card.
- Thieves' Fortune: Yes! I can't really remember why this card isn't in the deck at the moment because it is so cool! I'll try to find a slot for it again.
- Umezawa's Jitte: This card would probably fit very well for both flavour and efficiency. I did not consider it yet because it does not grant any bonus to power when you first attack with it. But it is very versatile and I'll probably give it a try if I happen to get my hands on one.
- Drana, Liberator of Malakir: This is an interesting choice, because it could allow me to turn an unimpressive board into a lethal thread after a few turns.
- Thassa, God of the Sea: I had her in a earlier version of the deck. I do really love the card (I do also play her as a commander [Thassa, God of Tentacles EDH]) but she did not shine in this deck. She takes away too much tempo (I need to play something that deals damage on turn 3 if possible), almost all creatures do already have evasion and she made Sygg a target because of his 2 devotion. I'll keep her in mind though, might even give her an other try.
3 weeks ago
I love your deck! I am a fan of decks that run flavorful cards over powerful cards, this is the most fun and satisfying way to build a Commander deck in my opinion. I mean, you don't play Commander to have the strongest deck but to have the most fun deck and get to play with your favorite cards from Magic's entire history you've always wanted to see shine.
Some Suggestions for your deck:
Thassa, God of the Sea - Evasion when needed and makes your draws smootherSmuggler's Copter - The name and mechanic fit the theme of the deck. It is evasive and triggers Sygg by itself.Thopter Spy Network - Fits Mechanically, maybe not rogueish enoughDuskmantle Seer - highly recommend him, you profit because of your low mana curve, also looks like a Rogue kindaMarang River Prowler - Rogue with RecursionNotion Thief- very flavorful, Rogue, ETB AbilityWhispersilk Cloak - flavorful and grants protection and unblockableDimir Cutpurse - no evasion but lets you draw a card and your opponent discardThieves' Fortune - a prowl version of Impulse (if you don't like to play the mainstream cards)Umezawa's Jitte - best equipment ever printed (not as good in Commander though)Drana, Liberator of Malakir - Helps you trigger SyggOther Cards: Nightveil Specter, Jhessian Thief, Vampire Nighthawk (just because of the art, but probably better not to include)
I hope I could give you some inspiration. I am also thinking about building a similar Sygg deck, but probably won't happen because I can't afford building multiple Commander decks at once.
1 month ago
you could add Marang River Prowler, as it is unblockable and recastable
Sieo on FrenchZuri
5 months ago
Hey ! Thanks for the suggestions, i'll look into it for the Simic Manipulator, which seems really cool. I don't run infect anymore so i don't really need to double poison counter on opposing creatures :)
I'll be putting Marang River Prowler soon, i think it's good if i can boost it enough
6 months ago
No problem! How often do you find yourself using Marang River Prowler? You already have Reassembling Skeleton, which recurs for a cheaper cost and can do so at instant speed. The prowler can't be a blocker either and a two-power unblockable creature doesn't seem to have a high-enough impact. Perhaps you could swap that out.
7 months ago
Scratch the Marang River Prowler... I keep forgetting what set it's from. I could swear there was one from DTK or later... I'll check on that.
7 months ago
In Soviet Russia, Hammer Swings You is the emerge build I've been working on. I think I've got it pretty much finalized, and it seems to work with brutal efficiency on an even lower budget. I have not actually been able to test it in paper, though; I can let you know if and when that happens.
I'm not sure what to suggest here because I can be nearly certain I have the best possible emerge-centric deck (in my own opinion, at least), but feel free to take what you want from it and suggest anything to me. I'd like to see what you think about it, BirdmanWhy.
I'm tempted to try the Void Winnower strategy you're touching on... Perhaps I can find a way to work with it. I probably need to make room for the sideboard Mockery of Nature you have. Thank you, AngelicCookies, for reminding me of Sphinx of the Final Word. My sideboard against control was Conifer Strider + Rogue's Passage, but Spell Queller could be a problem so I switched mostly to Plated Crusher. My friend reacted to that with Infinite Obliteration, so having yet another creature to dodge along with greatly increases my chances of winning. If I lose game 1, I switch to Plated Crusher and Conifer Strider if the deck isn't white, and game three I switch to Sphinx of the Final Word. Your mentioning of something that could come back from the grave reminded me of Marang River Prowler, which is an excellent idea for many purposes.
7 months ago
parjir7: Dude, no need to apologize at all! :) It's worth quickly mentioning that having less creatures is something that many Sidisi decks do, and often they are very effective. I just chose to maximize my creature count to get the most value out of Living Death (and friends) and my commander :)
If I had a Snapcaster Mage, he would definitely be in here - he can recur many of my most important cards :) I just don't own one, alas :( He can't get me a Cyclonic Rift, but he CAN get a Yawgmoth's Will that lets me cast Cyclonic Rift overloaded!
If you want to include Liliana, the Last Hope, go for it! She gets a lot of value in every mode. I just wouldn't rely on getting her emblem, haha. I will say that she would fit better in a more tribal zombies build, but she's still pretty good here.
Originally, I had a Reassembling Skeleton and Marang River Prowler (and a Narcomoeba too) to let me cast Dread Return after a board wipe. That role is now taken up by Haunted Dead, who also functions as a discard outlet to get high-cost things out of my hand. In particular, I cut Marang River Prowler after I took out Nighthowler, which formed a secondary win-con with him.
Uninterrupted, I usually win between T5 and T6. Because the deck is about re-using resources once they've been expended once, even with relatively heavy disruption I frequently win on T7 or T8. But if I'm shut down completely - say, with a T0 Leyline of the Void or an early Rest in Peace - I may never win. The deck is a bit...inconsistent on its mana base, which screws me over more than anything else (even though, statistically speaking, it should be 100% fine).
Thank you for your interest in my deck! :)