|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Ultimate Masters (UMA)||Uncommon|
|Fate Reforged (FRF)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Marang River Prowler
Creature — Human Rogue
Marang River Prowler can't block and can't be blocked.
You may cast Marang River Prowler from your graveyard as long as you control a black or green permanent.
Marang River Prowler Discussion
7 months ago
I went rogues as my backup tribe for Yuriko as well. There are a bunch of amazing rogues that work really well with her you might consider:
Marang River Prowler is handy since if you control your commander, you can cast him from your graveyard. Additionally he can't be blocked, which lets you ninjutsu out other creatures.
Whirler Rogue comes out with two thopters you can tap to make her unable to be blocked, then pop her back into your hand to get out Yuriko. Once you cast her a second time, you get two more thopters, and now you can prevent two creatures from being blocked.
Quickling , Keymaster Rogue , and Faerie Impostor all work REALLY well with ninjas. They all have built in evasion, and they all require you to put a creature back in hand when they ETB. This means that you can put a ninja already in play back into your hand so you can ninjutsu them back at a later point.
Flitterstep Eidolon is good value in this type of deck. Bestow it onto Yuriko to make her permanently unable to be blocked, then if she dies or is exiled, you get an unblockable creature, attack with it, ninjutsu your commander back into play, then bestow it onto her again.
Also you can't go wrong with some sac outlets for Yuriko. You can let her die over and over and keep getting her back into play easily as long as you have an evasive creature. If you can afford it, Phyrexian Tower is a great way to use her to get more mana. High Market is another nice one to have around.
Lastly, Exquisite Blood is a stupidly powerful enchantment for Yuriko since it will turn every time a ninja connects for damage into massive lifegain for you. Every opponent will lose life equal to your top deck CMC, so it only gets stronger as an enchantment in this deck the more opponents you have.
If it helps, you can also check out my decklist for her at Yuriko EDH for other ideas. Hope this helps :)
1 year ago
Other unblockables to consider
Blighted Agent Dimir Infiltrator Escape Artist Inkfathom Infiltrator Latch Seeker Marang River Prowler River Sneak Slither Blade Triton Shorestalker Cephalid Pathmage Gudul Lurker Inkfathom Infiltrator Soulsworn Spirit
2 years ago
Have you thought about Marang River Prowler? I think that would be better than Inkfathom Infiltrator because it gets cheaper with Frogtosser Banneret and can also come back from the graveyard. Also I think the Royal Assassin needs to be just a straight up removal spell like Grasp of Darkness or Fatal Push. Maybe also some utility with a Bident of Thassa. Pestermite would probably be better replacing another creature and Hands of Binding.
2 years ago
Definitely take out Failed Inspection Traumatic Visions Marang River Prowler Aether Meltdown Rod of Ruin Millstone Slayer's Cleaver Soul Separator Lens of Clarity Pacification Array Tome Scour Winged Sliver Windrider Patrol Sliver Construct Skyline Predator Shifting Sliver Hinterland Drake Monastery Flock Kheru Spellsnatcher Deep-Sea Terror Diffusion Sliver Mystical Teachings
I know thats a lot but most of those cards are just straight bad for commander, and the slivers only benefit each other and theres just not enough of them, replace those and I have a few more suggestions
Serum Visions Cephalid Constable Chasm Skulker (def get Skulker) Deadeye Navigator Delver of Secrets Flip Disciple of the Ring Djinn of Wishes Contingency Plan and Niblis of Frost are just a few more that are pretty good
2 years ago
HezTheGod thanks again for all the suggestions! I went down in lands and up in disruption. Also, I swapped out the cuttables for better creatures. I had to keep Marang River Prowler just because he looks like The Rock!
2 years ago
Thank you very much for the praise and the nice suggestions, nighthawk8!
Yes I agree and I am really trying to find the sweet spot between strong, flavourful and fun to play with this deck.
I'll comment on all of your suggestions below. Short version: I'll definitely try Smuggler's Copter, Umezawa's Jitte and Thieves' Fortune. Some of the others (like Duskmantle Seer, Thopter Spy Network, Notion Thief and Drana, Liberator of Malakir will go into my "Maybeboard" because there could be a spot for them in the future. The rest of the cards was already in an earlier version of the deck and did not work well enough.
Detailed comments on the suggestions Show
- Smuggler's Copter: I haven't thought about that card yet but you are right: art, style and functionality fit very well! I can crew it with Sygg, River Cutthroat so it is easy to get both the loot and draw triggers in turn 3.
- Thopter Spy Network: This is an interesting card and the abilities would fit very well. I think I excluded it early because I did not use to play as many artifacts as today. I'll have to check how often I have an artifact in play to decide on this -> otherwise I risk having a dead card in my hand / play.
- Duskmantle Seer: I like the style of this card a lot. a 4/4 flying for 4cmc is also solid. He lacks an enter the battlefield ability and rogue creature type but he might be worth a slot, especially because his draw ability can trigger Syggs draw ability (would be much better if the ability would tigger in my opponents upkeeps though).
- Marang River Prowler: This one was in an early version of the deck. I also thought that he would be a boss but unfortunately he did not deliver what I expected. The problem is: I can't cast him before turn 3 and then he does not deal enough damage to trigger Sygg. Also I can usually keep a few creatures back in my hand so I do have replacement ready if one of my creatures dies. And if the board gets wiped I also can't cast him because I have almost no black non-creature permanents in the deck..
- Notion Thief: This guy is really cool, it lets me steal card draws (which is something I can't steal yet!). I had him in the deck for a short time but was unable to get any value out of him.. But I should probably give him another try, especially in multiplayer games where he can get a ton of value.
- Whispersilk Cloak: This one has some nice flavour but otherwise it does not work in this deck: for this cmc and equip costs my rogues do always prefer a knife (or sword).
- Dimir Cutpurse: The lack of evasion limits the usefulness of this otherwise cery cool card.
- Thieves' Fortune: Yes! I can't really remember why this card isn't in the deck at the moment because it is so cool! I'll try to find a slot for it again.
- Umezawa's Jitte: This card would probably fit very well for both flavour and efficiency. I did not consider it yet because it does not grant any bonus to power when you first attack with it. But it is very versatile and I'll probably give it a try if I happen to get my hands on one.
- Drana, Liberator of Malakir: This is an interesting choice, because it could allow me to turn an unimpressive board into a lethal thread after a few turns.
- Thassa, God of the Sea: I had her in a earlier version of the deck. I do really love the card (I do also play her as a commander [Thassa, God of Tentacles EDH]) but she did not shine in this deck. She takes away too much tempo (I need to play something that deals damage on turn 3 if possible), almost all creatures do already have evasion and she made Sygg a target because of his 2 devotion. I'll keep her in mind though, might even give her an other try.
2 years ago
I love your deck! I am a fan of decks that run flavorful cards over powerful cards, this is the most fun and satisfying way to build a Commander deck in my opinion. I mean, you don't play Commander to have the strongest deck but to have the most fun deck and get to play with your favorite cards from Magic's entire history you've always wanted to see shine.
Some Suggestions for your deck:
Thassa, God of the Sea - Evasion when needed and makes your draws smootherSmuggler's Copter - The name and mechanic fit the theme of the deck. It is evasive and triggers Sygg by itself.Thopter Spy Network - Fits Mechanically, maybe not rogueish enoughDuskmantle Seer - highly recommend him, you profit because of your low mana curve, also looks like a Rogue kindaMarang River Prowler - Rogue with RecursionNotion Thief- very flavorful, Rogue, ETB AbilityWhispersilk Cloak - flavorful and grants protection and unblockableDimir Cutpurse - no evasion but lets you draw a card and your opponent discardThieves' Fortune - a prowl version of Impulse (if you don't like to play the mainstream cards)Umezawa's Jitte - best equipment ever printed (not as good in Commander though)Drana, Liberator of Malakir - Helps you trigger SyggOther Cards: Nightveil Specter, Jhessian Thief, Vampire Nighthawk (just because of the art, but probably better not to include)
I hope I could give you some inspiration. I am also thinking about building a similar Sygg deck, but probably won't happen because I can't afford building multiple Commander decks at once.
2 years ago
you could add Marang River Prowler, as it is unblockable and recastable
No data for this card yet.