|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Modern Masters 2017 Edition (MM3)||Rare|
|From the Vault: Twenty (V13)||Mythic Rare|
|Future Sight (FUT)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Venser, Shaper Savant
Legendary Creature — Human Wizard
Flash (You may cast this spell at any time you could cast an instant.)
When Venser, Shaper Savant enters the battlefield, return target spell or permanent to its owner's hand.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (37)||rkarhade97 , ZombieFood , NOGzFTW , Roadhog , Lindough , Poptartz95 , voidruby , pokemate0 , jrschnoebelen , mentor6 , cryptoplasm , rebelteddybear , , Boza , saj0219 , Metaphisyk , failurechild88 , robbnoble , switchkill65 , DimSpirit , Supremespeed , Vasbear1 , angesoir , DruneGrey , Reliva , MagnaAura , pskinn01 , Spinalripper , Shiromakuro , Sparky41 , Dsmonsta , rikertchu , admizell , Suns_Champion , KillDatBUG , Azdranax , Tyqar|
|Want (9)||MouseyWolf , hippienproud , Jose_Arrogantio , GoldGhost012 , gamerhat , mlouden03 , ryuzaki32667 , Daeyel , Big-Foot|
Venser, Shaper Savant Discussion
4 hours ago
I actully like this setup. I agree that its a little unfocussed. I reccomned one change- A transformative sideboard rather than an 'answers' sideboard.
'Side 15' sounds like a bad joke, but 15 cards is enough to completely transform from tempo to control, and can transform bad matchups by drastically moving your critical turns. Even against matchups that 'demand' specific answers (dredge, tron), a lot can be done just by shifting the kind of deck that you are- tron has issues if you just combo out, dredge has issues if you run more bounce effects etc.
Even if you're siding in the same 15 cards each game, if you're removing 'dead' cards from your deck you are creating a big advantage. It really helps maintain that 'diverse' feeling with less performance impact.
Getting used to switching out different cards for different gameplans in that way will also help further refine your mainboard, by identifying cards you're always removing (or never enjoying) and spotting cards you're always reintroducing.
In terms of how that transformative board is structured, I'd hide a set of Geist of Saint Traft in there, (as a clock against high-interaction decks, which the wizard tribe is unfortunately lacking), and run spells that you're plainly considering maindeck- your wraths, extra bounce tools, and wizards. I'd even go so far as to hide a Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir/Knowledge Pool lock as a 2-of, or run Vedalken AEthermage for wizardcycling to fetch a similar low-key combo. Augur of Bolas is also well worth a look,while less efficient that snappy, and sorcery speed, works wonders as extra functional copies.
Also, for fun, flavour-filled cards with various viability; (with some synergy!) check out Fatespinner, Glen Elendra Pranksters, Jace's Archivist Lullmage Mentor Meddling Mage Mistbind Clique Mistmeadow Witch Mizzium Meddler, Naban, Dean of Iteration Sage of Fables Sigil Tracer Simic Manipulator Spellstutter Sprite Talrand, Sky Summoner Timestream Navigator Treasure Mage Venser, Shaper Savant and Voidmage Prodigy.
1 week ago
Your manabase is truly awful.
- You have too many lands that ETB tapped.
- You manabase color consistency is spotty at best.
- You have too many utility lands that don't provide colored mana (this is likely the root cause for #2).
- You are missing some key artifact ramp/color fixing.
- You are running some very questionable choices: Examples: Crypt of Agadeem you only have 7 black creatures total (not counting commander) Save this for a mono-black deck & Glacial Chasm my guess is you are using this to hold off attacks until you can combo off. The issue is this card combos best with Solemnity, but you can't run white.
- 1,2,3: Drop a bunch of the ETB lands and utility lands bring in Fetchlands and Duals (OG Duals, Shocklands (Ravnica blocks), Tango Lands(Battle for Zendikar) and Bi-cycle lands (Amonkett)). Choose what works for your budget.
- 4. Add Chromatic Lantern it will help with color fixing, stops Blood Moon attacks and makes non-mana producing lands into mana producing lands. I would also suggest Mana Vault and Voltaic Key. These will help you mana ramp and keep pace with Ramp decks which have access to green mana. Also missing is Crucible of Worlds. It help you recover from mass land destruction and ensure you hit your land drops if you are running fetchlands. Other artifacts to consider are: Mox Opal, Chrome Mox, Grim Monolith, Rakdos Signet, Dimir Signet, Izzet Signet, Lion's Eye Diamond Again, choose what works for your budget.
- 5. Remove your questionable choices and run Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and Cabal Coffers instead. Urborg will make all your lands swamps, which will solve any black mana issues and make all non-mana lands into mana producing lands. And it combos amazingly with Cabal Coffers. It is way better than the Crypt of Agadeem. I also suggest running Maze of Ith instead of Mystifying Maze. Maze of Ith doesn't cost mana to activate and will deter attacks or at least nullify their best non-shroud, non-hexproof creature. Mystifying Maze will just encourage certain attacks since it can trigger ETB effects for your opponents. Which can be more valuable then shrinking your life total.
Other Issues and Potential Fixes:
- Graveyard Hate/Enchantment Removal. You added Pithing Needle to deal with certain artifacts but have ignored enchantment based graveyard hate. And I don't see any real enchantment removal. The only card that could hit an enchantment seems to be Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker. Leyline of the Void, Rest in Peace, and Ashes of the Abhorrent just straight up ruin your day. Grixis is weak to this permanent type, but blue has your best answers. I would add Cyclonic Rift which is the best 1 sided boardwipe in EDH and will help you recover from an oppressive board state or seal your position as the Victor. I would also suggest adding Venser, Shaper Savant. He can delay a spell from hitting the table or bounce back a troublesome permanent. He combos well with Riptide Laboratory.
- Troublesome Lands. I don't see any way for you to deal with lands that could ruin your day. Opponents running huge mana lands like Gaea's Cradle, Serra's Sanctum or Cabal Coffers or other trouble some lands like Scavenger Grounds. You have nothing for targeted removal of these threats Look to Strip Mine or Wasteland or similar lands.
- Missing Combo Pieces. Teferi's Veil combos with Sedris, just be mindful of the leaves battlefield clause from Sedris as they are still the same permanent still when they phase back in. And both Sneak Attack and Whip of Erebos combo with it and have high synergy with your deck. (same leaves battlefield clause applies to the whipped creatures) Also think about running Embalmer's Tools
- Quality Creatures. A lot of your creatures don't make sense or are just low on value. I would look back towards your original thought about ETB based creatures for the majority of your creatures to abuse. Combustible GearhulkNoxious Gearhulk,Molten Primordial,Sepulchral Primordial,Trinket Mage,Trophy Mage,Sidisi, Undead Vizier,Zealous Conscripts,Massacre Wurm,Sphinx of Uthuun. And then a few other key enabler creatures like: Deadeye Navigator which helps remove the leaves clause from creatures you cheated back from the graveyard and River Kelpie which will help you draw
- Better Tutors. You should be running better tutors in general and better tutors for your graveyard. Like: Entomb,Buried Alive,Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, Final Parting, Dark Petition, Merchant Scroll, Mystical Tutor, Fabricate, Personal Tutor
- Better Looting/Rummaging. Like: Faithless Looting,Frantic Search,Dack Fayden,Windfall,Ancient Excavation,Cathartic Reunion, Careful Study
- Better Counterspells. Like: Mana Drain,Force of Will,Disallow,Forbid
- Cantrips. Getting to your best cards is key to being able to play your game. Brainstorm, Ponder,Preordain,Thought Scour
- Recursion. Some options open to you are: Snapcaster Mage, Yawgmoth's Will, Time Spiral, Past in Flames, Mizzix's Mastery,Magus of the Will, Crucible of Worlds
2 weeks ago
something like Words of Wind as back up perma upheaval
Leyline of Singularity could be worth considering if the rules change the cards you cast but idk.
on that vein, legends also trigger her draw. So maybe some other red/blue legends like Venser, Shaper Savant could be helpful . Even a Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir could be helpful (maybe even do the old knowledge pool trick)
Baral's Expertise could be helpfull in triggering some card draw shenanigans.
also i would replace pira and kiran with an ashnods altar for a janky mana combo with junk diver and trawler
3 weeks ago
Hi, its that guy from reddit who asked to critique your deck!
Your land base is stronger than mine, in the sense that it contains a fair amount of fetches and shocks. That being said, I think it would be good for you to look into City of Brass, and I would probably replace Exotic Orchard or one of the slow fetches with it.
My personal 5-Color superfriends decklist runs only a few creatures, even then some of them aren't necessary. I am a little confused as to why you run Archon of Justice, Venser, Shaper Savant, and Wood Elves. In my opinion, they don't do too much to advance your win progression or protect your walkers. At the same CMC as Wood Elves there is Cultivate and Kodama's Reach which provide a better overall mana investment. I would pick Cyclonic Rift over Venser any day. Venser is a good card, don't get me wrong, I run it in my Geist of Saint Traft deck (along with rift), but the rift can save your planeswalkers' collective hides from most threats. I think Anguished Unmaking, Utter End, or even the flashy new Urza's Ruinous Blast would be suitable replacements for the archon. There is also Terastodon, which I run, but I understand if that's a bit much for CMC.
I would absolutely replace Cultivator's Caravan with Chromatic Lantern.As for the walkers: I would certainly cut Xenagos, the Reveler, Jace, Cunning Castaway, Gideon of the Trials, Gideon, Ally of Zendikar, both Garruks, Freyalise, Daretti and Ashiok. These planeswalkers don't do enough, and depend on having lots of creatures/artifacts, which your deck does not have. I would replace them with boardwipes, Swords to Plowshares, Path to Exile, Chandra, Flamecaller for the wipe, Narset Transcendent for card advantage and the ult, Teferi, Hero of Dominaria Rhystic Study, Oath of Teferi. If need be, Song of the Dryads can replace Imprisoned in the Moon for more versatility.
Things I really like in your deck: Maze of Ith, Eugene, Sorin Markov, academy rector, Doubling Season (which I wish I had).If you have any more questions or a response, please DM me! I enjoyed your deck, and I love that there are people out there making 5-color superfriends a thing in commander!Cheers!The Mending's Legacy
3 weeks ago
Also, I doubt that this could be an option but I know an interesting card that can synergise well with this deck.
This Momentary Blink can actually be a counterspell through Torrential Gearhulk, if you choose Unwind or Rewind, it actually untaps more lands than you've used. That's very helpful to cast a full powered Sphinx's Revelation at your opponent's endphase.
I'm new here so let me just relink you correctly my decklist :
Things I added :
Wrexial, the Risen Deep (not very strong but cool card)
3 weeks ago
you could consider Torrential Gearhulk.
if you want to try and solidify your lock after you get a lot of drakes, you could consider throwing down Sunder after you have a ton of drakes and an advantageous boardstate. as long as you remember to drop Reliquary Tower or Thought Vessel afterwards.
also kinda surprised theres no Isochron Scepter; definitely prone to disruption but if you can get it to stick, late game it can be a solid value piece.
4 weeks ago
Both, if there's also another permanent with an ability that would trigger when Venser enters.
Because Panharmonicon says "...of a permanent you control...", it also affects artifacts and creatures that have "when (this) enters the battlefield..." triggers of their own. Venser, Shaper Savant is a permanent you control at the time it enters the battlefield and its ability is triggered by a creature entering the battlefield (itself), so Panharmonicon will make it trigger twice. If you also control something like a Soul Warden etc. then that will also trigger twice.