As Monaster Siege enters the battlefield, choose Khans or Dragons.
- Khans — At the beginning of your draw step, draw an additional card, then discard a card.
- Dragons — Spells your opponents cast that target you or a permanent you control cost more to cast.
|Have (3)||metalmagic , winterwind10 , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819|
Printings View all
|Commander 2017 (C17)||Rare|
|Fate Reforged (FRF)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Monastery Siege occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.02%
- Monastery Siege vs Storm
- Do you have to pay 4 mana for two Monastery Sieges in play?
- If i have 2 monastery siege in play and they are both khans,does it mean i draw 3,then discard 2?
- How do Qjutai Exemplars, Clever Impersonators copied as Ojutai Exemplars, and board wipes you cast affect each other?
- If I have multiple cards that increase the amount of cards I draw, do they all trigger at the same time?
Monastery Siege Discussion
4 days ago
Hey, good start for a budget deck. I really like the deck name and well done for your choices of sea monsters.
You're right you need more ramp because most sea monsters have very high CMC. Sol Ring is a staple card for ramp in Commander. Thran Dynamo and Worn Powerstone are other good sources of colorless mana. Solemn Simulacrum is ramp for an Island. When playing mono blue you can take advantage of High Tide. Until end of the turn when you tap an Island, that land makes two blue mana.
The one, two, three and four drop spots in your deck should be dedicated to ramp or draw/dig because these cards help you to most to cast sea monsters. Low CMC sea monsters or other creatures are less wanted instead use these spots for ramp or draw/dig. Blue has many good budget cards that can dig into your library or draw cards: Impulse, Ponder, Brainstorm, Windfall, Drawn from Dreams. Budget Monastery Siege with Khans mode lets you draw two cards a turn. Sea-Dasher Octopus has a repeatable draw ability or mutate it with another creature you control.
Clever Impersonator and Mirrormade are good clones in Commander. Best of all they can copy an artifact, yours or an opponents, for more ramp. Counterspell and Negate are staple counterspells in Commander.
Cards to consider cutting:
- Terramorphic Expanse
- Kraken Hatchling
- Blight Sickle
- Phantasmal Terrain
- Convincing Mirage
- Tidal Surge
- Aquitect's Will
- Trickery Charm
- Wall of Frost
- Counsel of the Soratami
- Coax from the Blind Eternities
- Spell Rupture
- Prophetic Prism
Making an opponent control an Island is important for the late game, but I don't think you need to play so many cards that do this because these cards are not helping you in the early and mid game. Some cards that do this are fine such as Fountain and Spreading, but the other spots could be used for more impactful cards.
Good luck with your deck.
2 weeks ago
Thanks for that feedback, Amoskeag -
Monastery Siege would be a great inclusion, I agree. And yeah, I can see that replacing Avaricious Dragon. The inclusion of Stormchaser Mage could be good, but really, that's what I'm using Sprite Dragon for and I really like him in my extensive playtesting due to him remaining big and not just relying on prowess. You'll see that I have cheap spells for draw-2, but I don't employ a lot of 1-mana spells that I can stack that would really put Stormchaser to work.
I'm going to find room for maybe two copies of the Siege. Thank you, very helpful.
2 weeks ago
Stormchaser Mage would be a nice addition to this list
If you end up making is more cycle based, or maybe you really like the discard, Drake Haven could slot in nicely someone in the 75. In the same vein of Draw and Discard Monastery Siege is very versatile and can protect your board from the opponent!
Medomai's Prophecy, helps you gain card advantage for cheap.
If you're going to draw a lot, Psychic Corrosion in the sideboard is a good backup plan if necessary.
1 month ago
Hmm that is a pretty vague request. Card draw engines come in all shapes and sizes depending on your strategy. What type of deck are you trying to build? Regardless, here are some of my favorite general ones in each color:
1 month ago
3 months ago
Nice deck (+1), I like the direct poison tactics here. Have you considered Basilisk Collar and Freed from the Real/Second Wind to go with the Viridian Longbow? If you're worried about protection, I would suggest Monastery Siege to make it much harder for your opponents to target your creatures (multiple copies stack =)). Hope this helps.
4 months ago
You have a lot of enchantment-based removal, like Darksteel Mutation, et al. I like these effects a lot but they can be even better with recursion. Starfield of Nyx and Hanna, Ship's Navigator would be good choices if you're looking for more card advantage. As far as deck slots go they can usually be treated as "draw".
They're expensive, but some of the best card draw cards are Kindred Discovery, Phyrexian Arena, and Rhystic Study. Some other fair-to-middling options that are enchantments/artifacts are Honden of Seeing Winds, The Magic Mirror, Coastal Piracy, Underworld Connections, Greed, Erebos, God of death, Vampiric Rites, Distant Melody, Mind Unbound, Well of Ideas, Thassa, God of the Sea (Scry 1 is kinda like 0.45 of a drawn card), Thought Reflection, Dictate of Kruphix, Monastery Siege, Tamiyo's Journal, Staff of Nin, Arcane Encyclopedia.
4 months ago
There aren't a lot of straightforward replacements some of the cards here (particularly time walk) and some might be a little worse and you'll definitely lose some of the synergy, but that doesn't mean we can't keep the game plan. Also this is for the modern format (what used to be extended) and not the current standard. That being said:
- Horseshoe Crab/Thieving Magpie - Still modern legal/Surge Mare also works.
- Thornwind Faeries - Prodigal Sorcerer.
- Raven Familiar - Augury Owl/Sea Gate Oracle.
- Rayne - No functional replacement that affects all your creatures/Monastery Siege might be able to serve a similar purpose of making it harder to target your permanents rather than discourage your opponent from targeting.
- Curiosity - Still modern legal
- Hermetic Study - Viridian Longbow/Sorcerer's Wand, though not an enchantment, it functions the same way.
- Soothsaying - Descendant of Soramaro
- Sigil of Sleep - No functional replacement, Gorgon Flail/Basilisk Collar might be a nice alternative here.
Counterspells. This one is a bit tricky as they moved away from the classic Counterspell and there's a lot of variety here and counters have changed a lot. So I'm just going to recommend a few to consider:
- Quash and Rewind are still modern legal
- Also Lullmage Mentor can be a pretty good finisher/cornerstone of a counter deck
- Saheeli, Sublime Artificer/Talrand, Sky Summoner can also add some nice value to play counterspells.
Well, that took a bit of time, but I hope this helps.