|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander (2016 Edition)||Uncommon|
|Modern Masters 2015 Edition||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Orzhov Basilica enters the battlefield tapped.
When Orzhov Basilica enters the battlefield, return a land you control to its owner's hand.
: Add to your mana pool.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Orzhov Basilica Discussion
1 day ago
Sometimes you just need to end the game though, a way out, but a way to end it on your own terms. Do not let the "ew gross combos" mentality hold you back, EDH at it's current state is really only going to end on combos, and counter-combos, or bad draws so my an opponent's lifelinkers or 7/7 general just happened to kill me. In more controlling decks, for strict singular spot removal I usually hold myself to a maximum of 6 cards. I do not hold back a board wipes, and Merciless Eviction is like THE reason to play BW sometimes in EDH (which you have).
You don't really seeeeem to need help on this deck, but some things in your manabase seem to need changed. I would replace about 3 lands with something like Burnished Hart since it works well with Atheros, and some simple ramp things like Wayfarer's Bauble and Fellwar Stone. Then just remove the Vivid's, coming into play tapped and maybe providing other colored mana is not strong enough, and Myriad Landscape this card under-performs as well just because it enters tapped and costs 2 to get 2 lands tapped, of ONE type. Orzhov Basilica is really poor undless you you're using it manipulate land-drops or lands with enter effects. New Benalia is another good way to scry, and then upgrades into Cabal Coffers, and Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, fill in the missing with Evolving Wilds.
I do really like the DnT + Enchantress feel of this deck however.
5 days ago
Just some thoughts in case they help build off of what Immortalized said or provide any other useful things to look at:
There are a lot of other draw cards too that you might consider:
- Ambition's Cost / Ancient Craving / Read the Bones / Sign in Blood are decent cheap black draw spells that cost a little bit of life
- Phyrexian Arena
- Fact or Fiction
- Telling Time / Brainstorm / Ponder / Preordain / Foresee If you want some Scry/Shuffle/Deck Manipulation with your draw
And countless more. In a deck like this though there's a lot of value to be had in something like Phyrexian Arena since 1 life per upkeep is no biggie with Oloro around
Here's some other good removal to think about:
- Merciless Eviction and Austere Command can give you a lot of options
- Cyclonic Rift / Wash Out / Aether Gale can set an opponent back a lot. Cyclonic Rift for it's overload is the best!
- Curse of the Swine is always fun
- Supreme Verdict if you get overwhelmed or desperate. It's strictly better in my opinion that Wrath of God or Day of Judgment
- Toxic Deluge is another great creature removal if you have life to spare
Slow Down Taxes
Here are some cards that can really halt your opponent's aggression:
- Ghostly Prison / Propaganda / Sphere of Safety to make them pay to attack
- Rhystic Study to make them pay additional for each spell they cast (or let you draw)
- Imposing Sovereign
- Fog Bank / Guard Gomazoa / Wall of Frost Fun cheap defenders that can stick around or eat removal
Some other creatures worth mentioning that tax an opponent's life:
- Fate Unraveler Damage on draw. Can be great for forcing end of game on an opponent's draw step if you get your combos set and can't push it over the edge (unlikley). At any rate he can be pesky.
- Blood Artist / Blood Seeker / Cliffhaven Vampire / Deathgreeter / Falkenrath Noble / Suture Priest / Zulaport Cutthroat All sorts of interactions and costs associated with creatures.
- Kambal, Consul of Allocation Life cost to play spells. Another great way to trip some combos and source life for draws.
Here's some other cards that are worth noting:
- Pristine Talisman combos well if you have Oloro out (Tap to gain life, spend the mana to draw the card and cost each opponent 1 life)
- Baleful Strix can be great utility in this kind of deck
- Reliquary Tower Is always great in draw decks
One card I'd definitely recommend ditching is Azor's Elocutors.
Other cards I see that I'd consider removing if it was me:
- Palisade Giant CMC too high for too little bonus in my opinion.
- Azorius Chancery / Dimir Aqueduct / Orzhov Basilica . I've seen these mess up players' tempo and strategy so many times. They're also great value for any opponents running land destruction. Some other options to consider could include: Drowned Catacomb / Glacial Fortress / Isolated Chapel if you want faster mana. OR Temple of Silence / Temple of Enlightenment / Temple of Deceit if you want the bonus scry. OR maybe even something as simple as Scoured Barrens / Tranquil Cove / Dismal Backwater in the hopes the 1 life lets you get a bonus draw.
I used to play an Oloro deck as well (albeit it with a very different affinity ) using a ton more artifacts and some fun combinations around Darksteel Forge and Nevinyrral's Disk . He's a great commander and a lot of fun. I hope you enjoy the deck and can find something useful in any of my suggestions.
Good luck and happy hunting!
1 week ago
Thinking about utility lands lately, I started to consider Thespian's Stage and Vesuva. At the least, they both come into play and are mana producing lands, potentially any colored. Both would copy a Maze of Ith or Kor Haven for added protection. They could both copy any of my multiple mana producing lands like Lotus Vale, Scorched Ruins, Boros Garrison, Orzhov Basilica, or Rakdos Carnarium for some extra ramp. They both could copy a Sea Gate Wreckage, Rogue's Passage, or Slayers' Stronghold for value in those areas. Vesuva could be dropped early to copy any mana producing land and then bounced with a bounceland like Boros Garrison, Orzhov Basilica, or Rakdos Carnarium. Thespian's Stage would not need to be bounced to continue to produce the most value for me throughout the game. I am pretty sure I would not want to run a Dark Depths myself, but it would open the possibility if I ever wanted to, and in a pinch it could counter those pesky Dark Depths combo decks out there that I may eventually face (I know, likely a rare occurrence, but wouldn't that just be amazingly dramatic?).
Anyway, does anyone have any opinion on both Thespian's Stage and Vesuva? I am leaning more toward Thespian's Stage if I only use one, since it comes into the battlefield untapped and seems more flexible than Vesuva, but I could be convinced to run both.
2 weeks ago
@Panas, It's all good.
I came up with one infinite mana combo, but I feel its pretty messy and was hoping someone would have came up with a better one. Basically you'd need Candelabra of Tawnos + Clock of Omens + 2 artifact lands such as; Ancient Den, Darksteel Citadel, Great Furnace, Vault of Whispers, Blinkmoth Nexus, Inkmoth Nexus, or Mishra's Factory and then you'd need the mana to untap those artifact lands that are untapping Candelabra of Tawnos such as three bounce lands (such as Orzhov Basilica) OR Lotus Vale + a bounce land//Deserted Temple OR Scorched Ruins OR Cabal Coffers + Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth.
2 weeks ago
Things to ditch:
Inexpensive Better Lands:Mana Confluence
Cards to Add:Ghostly Prison (More stupid mana taxes)
Elixir of Immortality (In case I ever need a shuffle) ?
1 month ago
I've been working on my own list, but I think I can share some of my experience already.
Alesha is red, her ability requires double non-red hybrid mana, so most times It's hard to have a very aggressive start since we either start swinging soon, or fill our board soon. I've been avoiding playing Alesha on T3 or earlier, since I favour getting other creatures on board first, or cast spells like Buried Alive, Cathartic Reunion, Tormenting Voice, to make the most of her ability. More relevant, to fix the harsh colour needs of the deck, I run Chromatic Lantern. I also run bounce lands (Boros Garrison, Rakdos Carnarium and Orzhov Basilica) since with a slow start and nothing to do on turn 1, playing one of this on turn 2 gets you a free discard, which for Alesha is a form of card advantage.
I'd also recommend Big Game Hunter to round up your removal options and an additional combo in Leonin Relic-Warder and Animate Dead. Animate Dead the Leonin, target Animate Dead with it's ability, rinse+repeat. With Blood Artist, Zulaport Cutthroat or Purphoros, God of the Forge, that's game. I've also been trying Daretti, Scrap Savant as a way to get even more card advantage (and it acts like a removal beacon as well, so people might waste resources on him even though he's not vital to the main plan).
Feel free to check my deck as well:
Commander / EDH*
SCORE: 8 | 4 COMMENTS | 621 VIEWS | IN 2 FOLDERS
1 month ago
Hey I like your set up! Here's my take on the deck and have a +1!
Energy Flux - kind of seems like a wasted slot to me seeing as you run so many artifacts yourself
Dimir Aqueduct/Azorius Chancery/Orzhov Basilica- I noticed a bunch of your lands enter tapped and this slows the deck down considerably... especially with bounce lands which slow you down a turn before actually helping. If you had to return another land that enters tapped to your hand you'd be just slowing yourself down more. I know that it's hard to find decent lands with a budget but these in my opinion only belong in landfall decks.
Arcane Laboratory - I personally don't run this because if I play something and someone counters it, I won't be able to respond even if I could have
Cards to consider: (i'm not saying put all of these in... I just want you to know they're an option)
Command Tower - taps for all three colors, enters untapped and is cheap because it is printed a lot
City of Brass - enters untapped, taps for anything and hurts you a bit (which shouldn't matter with the upcoming lifelink from Zur). Around $4-5 so a little more expensive but totally worth it.
Swords to Plowshares - This one's a must and it's reprinted often... around $2-3 right now for some editions
Unquestioned Authority - Effectively makes Zur unblockable. Redundancy on this point is pretty important in case Steel of the Godhead gets removed (as is more likely in multiplayer) and there are flyers you can't get through. Also the free card draw is super awesome at times (especially if you ever decide to increase your budget to include the "top of library tutors").
Imprisoned in the Moon/Darksteel Mutation - make annoying creatures (and/or other permanents) not do anything! Super handy against cards like Erebos, God of the Dead, Derevi, Empyrial Tactician, etc...