|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Iconic Masters (IMA)||Uncommon|
|Commander 2017 (C17)||Common|
|Commander Anthology (CMT)||Common|
|Commander 2016 (C16)||Uncommon|
|Commander 2015 (C15)||Common|
|Modern Masters 2015 Edition (MM2)||Uncommon|
|Commander 2013 (C13)||Common|
|MTG: Commander (CMD)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Orzhov Basilica enters the battlefield tapped.
When Orzhov Basilica enters the battlefield, return a land you control to its owner's hand.
: Add to your mana pool.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (18)||EdenGardenz , ZombieFood , Friedrice24 , Unjust_DiabIo , Grantley91 , ironax , angesoir , bakeraj4 , Vasbear1 , ibraJG84 , aeonstoremyliver , bakunet , Supremespeed , killstars , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , Reliva , MattN7498 , corys|
|Want (2)||Turtlelover73 , Ssserra|
Orzhov Basilica Discussion
4 days ago
Not sure of your budget, but here are some suggestion.
Alternative to Combo Win-Cons
The standard win-con in a Kaalia of the Vast which is not a combo is... Land Destruction! The idea being to use card's like Boros Charm, Avacyn, Angel of Hope, Teferi's Protection to protect yourself; OR have an A/D/D in hand that you can free cast that demands a response, but is hard to deal with no lands, like Hellkite Tyrant or Iona, Shield of Emeria. The key cards to this strategy are: Crucible of Worlds, Armageddon, Ravages of War, Cataclysm, Strip Mine, Waste land, Command Beacon. This is a HIGHLY viable strategy, people may not like facing your Kaalia of the Vast deck, but it definitely isn't a combo strategy.
Master of Cruelties has to be in there, attack with Kaalia of the Vast, drop in Master of Cruelties, during the declare blockers step their life becomes 1 (assuming he is unblocked), and Kaalia of the Vast hits for 2 finishing the player. Not a combo, a necessary Demon.
Another common strategy is multiple attack phases, non-combo, but with big A/D/D beaters, having multiple swings (especially with Vigilance is amazing way to deal damage). The key cards are: Hellkite Charger, Aggravated Assault, Sword of Feast and Famine, Aurelia, the Warleader, Seize the Day. There is a combo with Adarkar Valkyrie + Aurelia, the Warleader + sac outlet out of interest. Adarkar Valkyrie although not working properly with the Kaalia of the Vast mechanics, is still a great recursion angel. Reconnaissance is nice for this strategy too, as you can pull back your Kaalia of the Vast against block heavy decks, as well POST-damage, you can pull back EVERYONE, basically it gives all your creatures Vigilance.
Free A/D/D strategy, you have it with Sneak Attack, Quicksilver Amulet, Mimic Vat so your already there, try a Whip of Erebos gives all your creatures Lifelink, which increases your sustainability in drawn out games (non-combo strategy the only way to win is in a drawn-out game), plus give you another recursion engine. Could use a Sundial of the Infinite to keep them on the board permanently!!
Stranglehold is another good control mechanism, you have a few, can look at pairing it with Maralen of the Mornsong to lock down opponents draw. She has synergy with some other guys like Aven Mindcensor/Ob Nixilis, Unshackled. Eidolon of Rhetoric might stop a Sunforger cast depending on what you did earlier that turn, like a Haste Kaalia of the Vast for example, to consider, or in an Armageddon build will be very bad.
Out of the 99 Considerations
I'm not a huge fan of Reverberate/Shunt, you have Sunforger so I get it, but it will often just sit in your hand. And Kaalia of the Vast is usually splash , so not that valuable. Would rather have a Steel Hellkite or a Gisela, the Broken Blade, or heck, even a Wild Ricochet
Solemn Simulacrum really unnecessary land searching. Use mana-enablers instead.
Boros Garrison/Orzhov Basilica I find it too slow without infinite combo, although it ramps, but you have lots of mana enablers. Field of Ruin colorless mana isn't great, don't need the search. Flamekin Village cost is too high, tapped+, try a Hall of the Bandit Lord. Shadowblood Ridge is also not great (I know it seems like it should be, but it's not!), Slayers' Stronghold is too expensive , use Hanweir Battlements instead, but even then it's borderline (but better), Smoldering Marsh isn't going to come in untapped when you need it, Temple of Malice/Temple of Silence I also don't like, but borderline for me would be my last cuts, Vivid Meadow is no.
Earnest Fellowship I wouldn't do this, might make it hard for you to block (which you have the big creatures that are hard to block already). A little too dangerous for my liking, let opponents pump their creatures, no need to do it for them, and block with your big guys.
Devoted Caretaker I wish she provided protection period so could go unblockable. I think Mother of Runes is enough, but maybe theres someone that gives just protection and doesn't cost a and ? But it does permanents, so I get it.
Kothophed, Soul Hoarder will not be your friend some days during board wipe, but with so little drawing in Mardu, he's a fun one! I would run him in this type of build!
Sun Titan is questionable, what are you bringing back? Lightning Greaves, Sunforger, Animate Dead, Necromancy only stuff. He's discretionary. High Mana cost but utility, he can combo with Fiend Hunter but again combos a different strategy (so can Karmic Guide btw).
Right now, your 46%, 33%, 21% but your mana is 28%, 37%, 35%. In addition, Turn 1: 80%, 10%, 10%! / lands will be your best friends, but balancing / and / lands too. Avoid / that don't provide value, like Mountain, Shadowblood Ridge (awful), Smoldering Marsh, Temple of Malice.
Demonic Tutor doesn't get much better than that! Mortify can be a good utility removal the CMC3 makes it less attractive, Vampiric Tutor although inefficient to pull a Lightning Greaves or Gisela, Blade of Goldnight is still good enough. It's instant so at EOT pull what you need. Rakdos the Defiler can be fun in a Armageddon model. Fetid Heath/Rugged Prairie are not too shabby. Sensei's Divining Top can help look and top-deck the A/D/D you need, IF you have none in hand it can swap places so you don't miss Kaalia of the Vast drops. Cavern of Souls against Grixis/Izzet, Phyrexian Reclamation can keep you rolling once you run out of cards-in-hand, an alternate quasi-draw.
Very good Kaalia of the Vast non-combo deck, looks like a blast to play. Hopefully you found some of these ramblings useful.
1 week ago
Hey, I've never piloted a Kaalia deck, I have only played against her and from my experience, she gets the attention on the table most of the times and for good reason. People really know Kaalia. So I think that playing her has some key elements that could be improved.
Get her out fast fast fast.
In order to do that I'd replace these with basics and boost your speed since you're playing all those fetchlands.
- Akoum Refuge: ETB tapped, no good here.
- Vivid Meadow, Forgotten Cave, Boros Garrison, Orzhov Basilica, Rakdos Carnarium: See above.
- Molten Slagheap: Too slow.
- Transguild Promenade: Just plain awful. Don't let this one fool you with it's "mana of any color", it's still awful.
- Opal Palace: You don't need the color fixing and the bonus counter won't do much difference as Kaalia's blows are not what you're aiming here.
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth needs it's best friend Cabal Coffers, otherwise a fetchable basic swamp will do fine. Or maybe a dual one like Canyon Slough or Smoldering Marsh, which sometimes enter untappped.
Land Tax when you replace all the above for basics.
- Talisman of Indulgence or Fellwar Stone, mana rocks for
Kaalia has been around long time so people know how dangerous she can be.
- Darksteel Plate could be useful, specially against wraths but it doesn't do much against bouncing or exiling, which is why Whispersilk Cloak could be a better alternative, and can help you avoid combat damage as well.
- Mother of Runes will give her protection in response to whatever spot removal targetting her.
- Grand Abolisher helps you avoid getting Kaalia countered.
If Kaalia has died several times, what now.
As you probably know, she will get focused and sometimes you just can't protect her enough. You need alternatives when this happens.
- Karmic Guide can reanimate anything and it's an angel. Works well with Reya Dawnbringer.
- Sneak Attack is expensive but great, consider it. If not, Quicksilver Amulet is good too.
- Phyrexian Reclamation works awesome with the card above.
- Chancellor of the Annex could be given a try to slow down your opponents while you cast your big creatures. Also, if it's on your initial hand, bye-bye turn 1 Sol Rings.
Other things I noticed
- You lack card drawing. It's essential to have angels / demons / dragons on your hand on each of your attack phases. Phyrexian Arena and Necropotence. Watch out for Emrakuls on your meta with the latter. Some wheels could prove useful refilling your hand, though Wheel of Fortune is expensive, Winds of Change, Magus of the Wheel, Wheel of Fate and Dragon Mage are good alternatives.
- On the same issue as above, Sire Of Insanity and Malfegor aren't helping you with that.
- You have access to the best colors for removal. Ditch Soul Snare and Angelic Edict for the more versatile ones Vindicate, Anguished Unmaking or Utter End. Even Chaos Warp is a better alternative than the two I mentioned. Instant speed removal is crucial.
- Same as above with sweepers. Wrath of God, Day of Judgment, Damnation are much better than Armageddon, because as it let's you a great advantage and all it also puts a huge target on your head, because you basically stop them from having fun at all. And in my experience, people tend to remember those who broke their lands, it's just the way it is. You don't need more hate, Kaalia will draw enough herself. On the borderline of this are Cataclysm and Rakdos the Defiler. The other Rakdos, Rakdos, Lord of Riots is a way better alternative. Imagine swinging with Kaalia, on her trigger putting RTR Rakdos, then on your second main you'll be able to cast a creature with it's cost reduced.
- You have 4 instants now (more coming in the future I hope) and 3 creatures with activated abilities requiring mana. Price of Glory punish your for using those. I know it will punish counterspells as well, but there are some alternatives for that that won't draw the hate on your head, as stated above.
- Lastly, I know I insisted a lot on avoid drawin unnecesary hate on you, but Ob Nixilis, Unshackled is another one to give some thought. People really love their ramping and tutoring. Though in this case I'm not saying you should remove him, just re-evaluate his inclusion.
I hope some of this suggestions help in any way.
1 week ago
definitely add like one or two lands, cut
if you don't have enough lands to replace all these, keep the ones you like most
1 week ago
Glad I could help with your Nekusar deck! Here is hoping I can be helpful here as well, and continue the illusion that I know what I am talking about.
To start, let's talk about your lands. I would recommend starting with 37-38 lands, to ensure you are consistently hitting your land drops. This number can be adjusted some, based on your ramp and mana curve, but this number should provide a strong starting point as you playtest the deck.
The least expensive, easiest method would be to add a number of basic lands. I would recommend adding as many BW lands which enter untapped as possible. Personally, I do not recommend lands that enter the battlefield tapped, such as Orzhov Basilica or (effectively) Evolving Wilds, as they place you a bit behind in the early games, where you want to drop a new card every turn. Rather than list the BW lands here, here is a link to the most helpful decklist on this website: All the lands in a sorted list. I highly recommend bookmarking this wonderful tool.
Some other useful lands to consider, though these are not really budget-friendly: Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth--this will turn all your non-mana producing lands into swamps, increasing the utility of cards like Rogue's Passage; Cabal Coffers a great card in any swamp-heavy deck--the utility of this card declines if you run many non-basic lands.
There are also a couple mana rocks you could use: Orzhov Signet is the most notable, since it is inexpensive, easy mana ramp. Orzhov Cluestone and Orzhov Keyrune are also decent options, as they each provide some extra utility. Costing three mana is a bit of a downside though.
To provide one final card to add: Crested Sunmare. This card allows you to quickly amass an army of indestructible 5/5s, particularly since you have methods of gaining life on each player's turn. At the very least, it provides you a sacrifice target which replaces itself.
I am a bit pressed for time now, but I'll review the decklist in more detail and try to find some cards you can cut.
1 week ago
Hi Sjorpha and sorry for my late reply. I have been sick therefor I haven't been online for a while.
Funny you mention Scoured Barrens, I was actually looking at that specific land to slot in to my deck. I'm thinking of dropping some Plains and adding that instead of changing out the Forsaken Sanctuary.
In this setup I would have 4 Forsaken Sanctuary, 5 Plains, 4 Scoured Barrens. Would this be viable? I was also looking at Marsh Flats but it so damn expensive. What are your thoughts on Orzhov Basilica, Isolated Chapel or Orzhov Guildgate instead of Marsh Flats? And if so, should I drop Swamps or Plains in regards to the new land setup? (Mutavault and Ghost Quarter could be any of the three I mentioned as well)
Adding some 1 drops sounds good, even though it kinda goes against what I wanted in the first place (just having control instead of an Aggro deck). But maybe it is the best route to take. Guul Draz Assassin is almost too cool to not have :D and Vicious Conquistador looks to be a fit!
I will look in to adding the sideboard artifact/enchantments as well! First I need to put my hands on the cards that I am missing the main deck. Would be great to get your input on the land question.
Thank you once again for all your help! :) Much appriciated!
2 weeks ago
I'd include 4x Orzhov Basilica. That would help even out the mana for this deck even more!
Cool deck! +1 from me!
1 month ago
Not sure if you want the bigger body, but Lone Missionary does the same thing as Inspiring Cleric but for one less mana. It might be nice to have a better curve as to Lone Missionary, Vampire Nighthawk then to Herald of War.
Also, lands like Orzhov Basilica and Azorius Chancery are terrible lands in modern (with the exception of one deck that utilizes their bounce effect). If you're looking for other budget options (because this deck looks budgeted) you could look into Forsaken Sanctuary, Isolated Chapel, Choked Estuary, Drowned Catacomb, and Sunken Hollow. With all of the angels you play, you could also look into Seraph Sanctuary.
1 month ago
Here are my land suggestions:
1x Fetid Pools
1x Maze of Ith - not really a land because it doesn't tap for mana, but it's a good card
1x Nimbus Maze
Here are the land cuts:
1x Blighted Fen
Which would leave you with a manabase of:
1x Fetid Pools
1x Maze of Ith
1x Nimbus Maze
1x Opal Palace
This manabase can largely be ported over to Zur, except for the lifegain taplands like Jwar Isle Refuge, which I think are generally just okay but are good in this deck because with Oloro out, you can play it and draw a card. I tried to keep the prices pretty low, because I didn't know your budget, but you can add Hallowed Fountain and stuff if you like (especially that one since it's cheap). Bad fetches like Bad River and Flood Plain get better if you spring for shocklands.