Summoner's Pact

Legality

Format Legality
Tiny Leaders Legal
Noble Legal
Leviathan Legal
Magic Duels Legal
Canadian Highlander Legal
Vintage Legal
Modern Legal
Custom Legal
Vanguard Legal
Legacy Legal
Archenemy Legal
Planechase Legal
1v1 Commander Legal
Duel Commander Legal
Oathbreaker Legal
Unformat Legal
Casual Legal
Commander / EDH Legal

Printings View all

Set Rarity
Masters 25 (A25) None
Modern Masters (MMA) Rare
Future Sight (FUT) Rare

Combos Browse all

Summoner's Pact

Instant

Search your library for a green creature card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.

At the beginning of your next upkeep, pay . If you don't, you lose the game.

Summoner's Pact Discussion

lagotripha on Mystic Crucible of Aeons (Idea in progress)

5 days ago

I was testing in a Growth Spiral / Summoner's Pact primetime variant as well as a 'purer' taking turns/graveyard shenanigans list- it felt super good in both. Also, I'd clicked on fetching the other ones as tech, but I hadn't clicked that this would do that. Brain no work great.

TinkererEDH on ComicKoS - Lord Windgrace

1 week ago

First thing I'll suggest additions

  • mana ramp: Lotus Cobra - land etb you add one mana of any color - pushes your ramp faster

Amulet of Vigor - if a permanent you control etbs tapped, untap it. Not only ramps you faster, but gets past those pesky all your things come in tapped crud.

Exploration - you may play an additional land each turn, only . Very few things are more satisfying than having 7 lands turn 3 while everyone else is just putting down their third land.

Boundless Realms - search for as many basic lands as lands you control

Scapeshift - search for as many lands (basic or not) as you sacrifice

Kodama's Reach - you need a bunch of ramp spells to act with in case you don't have lord windgrace or he becomes too expensive to cast

Demonic Tutor - search your library for a card

Vampiric Tutor - search your library for a card

Beseech the Queen - search your library for a card

Summoner's Pact - pay or lose at your upkeep

Chord of Calling - search for or less CMC creature

Tooth and Nail - search for two creatures or put two creatures onto the battlefield from your hand

Rude Awakening - all lands you control become 2/2 creatures or you untap all lands or both

three of the five panoramas: The other two only fetch you one of the lands

Jund Panorama - search for any of the three basic land types you need

Grixis Panorama - search for swamp or mountain

Naya Panorama - search for mountain or forest

three of the temples:

Temple of Malady - BG scry 1.

Temple of Malice - BR scry 1.

Temple of Abandon - GR scry 1.

Things to do with

Fireball - x damage to creature or player

Crater's Claws - x damage to creature or player

Rolling Thunder - x damage to creature or player - can do more targets

Banefire - x damage to creature or player

Bonfire of the Damned xx to do x damage to tgt player and each creature he controls

Torment of Hailfire - choice of losing 3 life, sacrifice a nonland permanent, or discard a card - hilarious for huge numbers of x, and can swing the game beyond anyone recovering

Consume Spirit - x loss of life and x gain of life for you

Suffer the Past - x loss of life for x exiled cards from tgt player's graveyard. Kills their recursion and them

Dark Salvation - xx for x zombies and making a creature -x/-x until end of turn.

dingusdingo on Once upon a Time - ...

3 weeks ago

39.95% chance of starting with one in the opener (~40% or 1/2.5) in a 60 card deck.

You have a 60.1% chance of having or finding one SPECIFIC creature/land that is a 4-of in your deck with a turn 0 Once Upon a Time (Starting 7 cards with 5 effective "draws" off OUAT in a 60 card deck)

The draw filtering advantage is ~20% on turn 0, in every third game. To be more accurate, 20/2.5=8%. So running this card is going to bring up your turn 0 odds of hitting whatever specific creature/land you need in your opener from 40% to 48% while also improving all subsequent draws due to a reduced deck size.

So how much is that 8% better card quality worth? Lets cook up a scenario in which you win all games in which you hit a specific creature X for your deck on turn 1, and lose all games you DON'T have specific creature X. 40% of games you will start with it in hand and win, while 60% you don't have it and you lose, causing your opponent to win 1.5 games for every 1 that you win. Change it to a 48% chance to start in hand and a 52% chance you don't, and your opponent wins 1.08 games for every 1 that you win. Obviously this scenario makes some assumptions but I think it illustrates the point. For a deck that needs a specific creature or land available to use, having a free better chance to draw your winning creature can make a difference.

Deckbuilding limitations aside (creatures and lands for a Green deck oh no!), it is also worthwhile to compare to another Green "free" search card, Summoner's Pact . Lets use the same scenario as before, having X creature in our turn 1 hand will lead to a win. We have a 40% chance of starting with the card in hand, and we have a 40% chance of starting with a Pact in hand which directly leads to the creature. We can do 40% + 40%(60%) to find the chance that we have EITHER our creature X or a pact in hand, which gives us 64%, meaning we win 1.77 games for every 1 our opponent wins . Compared to the Once Upon a Time chances, Creature + Pact is going to be absolutely superior. You can replace Summoner's Pact with any creature tutor and the numbers will be the same.

Of course there are some caveats here. Once Upon A Time is actually free to cast for your first spell, whereas pact always costs 4 the next turn. You can sidestep the pact cost by winning same turn, but that isn't available turn 1 like OUAT. Pact only hits green creatures, whereas OUAT hits creatures of any color and lands. The place where I think Once Upon A Time really wins out design wise is its flexibility. You wouldn't spend Summoner's Pact on a turn 1 Llanowar Elves but you could spend Once Upon a Time on it. It also grabs lands, meaning extra opportunities for color fixing for free, or getting to a specific nonbasic land faster. After its no longer free, the card is still playable, but those turn 0 free spells are extremely nice. I think the best application for this spell is seeing those turn 1 mana dorks while running less of them. Noble Hierarch in half your games as opposed to once every 2.5 games makes a difference.

Also worth noting you can Once Upon a Time if your opponent goes first during their turn to get a card like Faerie Macabre or Simian Spirit Guide . I foresee that kind of application being better in Legacy/Vintage, but I don't think this card will make a splash in that meta.

Hunt381 on Too Many Elves on the Shelf

3 weeks ago

Deruvid I’m hesitant to cut out all the her Elvish Harbinger or all of the Summoner's Pact . Mostly because I’m a situation when I have trouble getting the right card draw, Summoner's Pact allows me to tutor for Elvish Harbinger . After getting her I can search for Elvish Promenade or I move to pull out Maralen of the Mornsong which then leads to me tutor for Doubling Season .

Deruvid on Too Many Elves on the Shelf

3 weeks ago

Couple suggestions.

  1. You're already at 4 Lead the Stampede , plus a Harmonize and Growing Rites of Itlimoc  Flip for card draw and selection. I'd either cut all 4 Summoner's Pact or all 4 Elvish Harbinger to lower your deck size back towards 60.

  2. Your land count is a tad low, imo, especially because you're only running 8 1-drop accelerators. I recommend swapping out Lead the Stampede for either Winding Way or Oath of Nissa to help smooth land draws.

ecmartinez on Wurm Hole

1 month ago

Guitarthunder mainly bc it's easier to pull out with either Summoner's Pact or Fauna Shaman just to let me be able to yoink it out if I have either of those cards rather than just hoping it's in my opening hand or in my early draws.

SynergyBuild on Once upon a Time - ...

1 month ago

SeekerofSecrets *card selection xD

Also, I could easily see Neoform using this, but because really only one of its pieces can be found with this, and some lands, and that piece could already be Summoner's Pact ed for, I doubt this is anything too special for that deck.

Desti702 on Ezuri, Renegade Leader Combo Elves *Primer*

1 month ago

What is your experience with 29 lands? I would like to add Veil of Summer , Worldly Tutor and Summoner's Pact to my deck but cannot find room for those cards other than cutting on lands (I run 35).

Load more

Summoner's Pact occurrence in decks from the last year

Modern:

All decks: 0.12%

Commander / EDH:

All decks: 0.02%

Green: 0.3%