Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Green spells you cast cost less to cast.
3 weeks ago
Do you have a budget per card?
Deflecting Swat - Super utility
Skyshroud Claim - Ramp
Elemental Bond > Colossal Majesty
I would swap out Grul Signet and Grul Talisman for Nature's Lore and Three Visits. You run green so artifact ramp is less helpful given it's more susceptible to removal. Other options are Ruby Medallion and Emerald Medallion if you still prefer artifacts. I understand the grul talisman + signet are helpful for fixing your mana, but given you're only 2 colors and one of them is green, you shouldn't really have any issue with it.
I would swap out exoctic orchard for a basic land, utility land or a Reflecting Pool.
3 months ago
It's been a couple of years, and the Hydra horde have matured!
Thanks for all your great suggestions while I've been away. I can see that the deck could need an overhaul with all the wonderful new cards
The following are now under consideration
- Vivien Reid: all her abilities seems useful
- Unbound Flourishing: Wait what? More doubling! Sign me up, double time.
- Traverse the Outlands: Prune deck for all lands AND put them into play? Awesomesauce!
- The Great Henge: Seems alrigt. Not sure it's worth a slot, but ramp and card draw.
- Shadowspear: Trample and some other nice stuff
- Selvala, Heart of the Wilds: Very good alternate commander. Will clearly be better than Polukranos, World Eater, but I'm not sure I can have an Elf Scout piloting a Hydra deck? Or can I? If so, I for sure need
- Umbral Mantle to go full retard on the board
- Rishkar's Expertise may be quite a good draw spell, but I hate to discard
- Nissa, Who Shakes the World: Lots of more mana. Would never +1 her, but if she comes out under Doubling Season, the -8 emblem sounds pretty sexy.
- Monstrous Onslaught: There is a hydra on the card. Nuff said
- Lifecrafter's Bestiary: Could be alright to draw some cards. But makes X one less. not sure
- Karametra's Acolyte: bonkers ramp
- Invigorating Surge: double +2 counters on a hydra. Could be fine?
- Infiltration Lens: Fixes draw for cheap! In this deck it surely beats Skullclamp
- Garruk's Uprising: Pretty good draw engine for the hydrating hydras
- Emerald Medallion: Okay is. Not sure it's good enough compared to the more expensive options
- Branching Evolution: Wait what? Yet another doubler? How are you doing?
New Hydras to make room for:
5 months ago
Some synergies to consider: Cryptic Gateway, Ruby Medallion, Emerald Medallion, Nogi, Draco-Zealot, Sarkhan, Soul Aflame, Taigam, Ojutai Master, Guardian Project, Toski, Bearer of Secrets, Steely Resolve, Thornscape Familiar, Ancient Copper Dragon, Goldspan Dragon, Cavern-Hoard Dragon, Terror of the Peaks, Scion of the Ur-Dragon
I know most of these aren't Dragon's but when you're trying to quickly fill the field with a bunch of big ole chonkers, you need cost reduction and Ramp! I'd also recommend more Rocks and Dorks to that end, as well as a few and/or rituals. I could easily see this build being overwhelmingly threatening within the first 5 turns of the game if tweaked a bit.
11 months ago
Hey, well done so far for your first green deck.
Some changes to consider, to further reduce price, up power level and reduce mana curve:
- Sol Ring --> Emerald Medallion
- 1x more Forest --> Castle Garenbrig
- Staff of Domination --> Rishkar's Expertise
- Elvish Guidance --> Growing Rites of Itlimoc
- Regal Force --> Vanquisher's Banner
- Heritage Druid --> Kodama's Reach
- Elvish Mystic --> Cultivate
- Fyndhorn Elves --> Rampant Growth
- Arbor Elf --> Harrow
- Joraga Treespeaker --> Llanowar Loamspeaker
- Eternal Witness --> Bala Ged Recovery
- Pyre of Heroes --> Genesis Wave
- Fauna Shaman --> Overrun
- Summoner's Pact --> Overwhelming Stampede
- Fierce Empath --> Siege Behemoth
- Quirion Ranger --> Llanowar Visionary
Emerald Medallion is the worst expensive price card here. All the Medallions are way overpriced for what they do because they aren't getting reprinted. Castle Garenbrig is not worth $5, you don't need it's small amount of ramp when you can get more ramp from Elves. With Elves, Elvish Guidance is $1 alternative for Cradle, bonus interaction with Arbor Elf.
Staff of Domination can keep power level high without breaking the bank. It's a combo piece with key mana Elves to make infinite green mana to then draw into a wincon. Regal Force and Eternal Witness are creatures who have same effects of noncreature cards, but since they're creatures they can be tutored for.
Triumph of the Hordes, Overrun, Overwhelming Stampede, Ezuri, Siege Behemoth, Forerunners, Thunderfoot, all of these to overrun your Elves is overkill. Consider cutting some of these for more tutors? Pyre of Heroes, Fauna Shaman, Summoner's Pact, Chord, Harbinger can all get Ezuri. Choose one of Forerunners, Thunderfoot or Behemoth? Fierce Empath, Fauna, Pact, Chord can get it.
Good luck with your deck.
1 year ago
Mutavault wurm manland!
Bonders' Enclave easy card draw.
Emerald Medallion wurms are expensive.
Wild Growth over Arcane Signet.
1 year ago
Profet93 I made a few more tweaks as I am trying to power down a number of my decks while increasing their speed and efficiency. As such I removed Defense of the Heart, Bard Class, and Mana Reflection and replaced them with Ruby Medallion, Emerald Medallion, and Carpet of Flowers.
Defense of the Heart was both too powerful and drew too much hate before I was ready. I want this deck to explode outwards and delaying that hate and attention even 1 turn helps.
Bard Class is still a great card and i'm leaving it on my maybeboard in case I want to add it back, but I prefer the speed that Ruby Medallion and Emerald Medallion bring as they only require a 2 mana investment as opposed to the 4 mana required to turn on Bard Class.
Mana Reflection is along the same lines. If I can spend 2 mana for Ruby Medallion or Emerald Medallion to cut my costs by 1 as opposed to waiting until turn 6-8 to play Mana Reflection and double my mana, i'm several turns ahead of where I would be, not to mention that Mana Reflection is more likely to be destroyed as opposed to a small medallion that only reduces costs by 1 rather than doubling all my mana.
Not to mention that around 80%-90% of 4-player commander games feature someone with blue mana, which will allow me to generate a ton of mana with Carpet of Flowers. That, along with 2 medallions, should really help this deck take off.
That's where i'm at right now, and I feel like this should work really nicely. I'd love to hear your and anyone else's thoughts, but i'm really happy with how this deck has turned out.
1 year ago
- Cost reduction > ramp
An Arcane Signet in a mono-green deck will get you when you tap it. You net 1 mana per turn. Conversely, an Emerald Medallion will reduce all of your green spells by . If you cast 3 green spells in a single turn, you effectively "netted" mana for free.
Same thing with spells such as Oketra's Monument in a white deck, which are known for playing heavy amounts of creatures. Or Urza's Incubator in a tribal deck. Or Cloud Key in perhaps a Voltron or Enchantress deck, or a spellslinger deck.
Cost reduction will always get you far, far FAR more mana out of it than you paid to get into it.