|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Iconic Masters (IMA)||Common|
|Commander 2015 (C15)||Common|
|Modern Masters 2015 Edition (MM2)||Common|
|Duel Decks: Speed vs Cunning (DDN)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Return target nonland permanent with converted mana cost X to its owner's hand.
Draw a card.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (16)||JAT0 , Jauntu , plof , frederiklw , ironax , TheRealPeaches , dplerner , innokenty , killstars , corys , damo_rox , brentkc49 , philktoken8998 , Skulldrey , pskinn01 , ToolmasterOfBrainerd|
2 weeks ago
I haven't worked on this deck for a little while but I may have another go now Mox Amber exists, it could be a great fit. As for the problem you describe you are right but playing a lot cantrips is very awkward with ensnaring bridge and canonist, I think some viable options could be Hurkyl's Recall on yourself or Repeal as targetting a 0 drop artifact and replaying it is a good way to build up casts and repeal is decent against random permanents your opponent might have, the list should probably play at least one. Another note, this deck should probably play a Rule of Law or Curse of Exhaustion over one of the canonists to better hose artifact decks, though that may be too inconsistent.
3 weeks ago
Also, I doubt that this could be an option but I know an interesting card that can synergise well with this deck.
This Momentary Blink can actually be a counterspell through Torrential Gearhulk, if you choose Unwind or Rewind, it actually untaps more lands than you've used. That's very helpful to cast a full powered Sphinx's Revelation at your opponent's endphase.
I'm new here so let me just relink you correctly my decklist :
Things I added :
Wrexial, the Risen Deep (not very strong but cool card)
1 month ago
Add:Rabid Bite, Radha, Heir to Keld, Radiant Flames, Rageblood Shaman, Raging Kavu, Raging Regisaur, Rakka Mar, Ral Zarek, Rampaging Ferocidon, Ranging Raptors, Raptor Hatchling, Rapid Hybridization, Rattlechains, Ravenous Daggertooth, Ray of Command, Razorfin Hunter, Reach of Branches, Realms Uncharted, Ramunap Excavator, Reckless Bushwhacker, Reforge the Soul, Regisaur Alpha, Rekindled Flame, Repeating Barrage, Resilient Khenra, Rhonas's Monument, Riddleform, Ridgescale Tusker, Riding the Dilu Horse, Rings of Brighthearth, Ripjaw Raptor, Rishkar, Peema Renegade, Roaring Primadox, Rush of Blood, Ryusei, the Falling Star.
Cuts:Rite of Passage, Rhystic Deluge, Root Elemental, River Serpent, Renegade Doppelganger, Reality Smasher, Ruination, Ring of Immortals, Rush of Ice, Rushing River, Rites of Refusal, Resuscitate, Reset, Read the Runes, Regenerate, Rampaging Hippo, Reach Through Mists, Relentless Assault, Remote Isle, Rhox, Riverwheel Aerialists, Reduce in Stature, Rakshasa's Disdain, Reality Spasm, Refocus, Repeal, Repopulate, Rescind, Rescue, Revolutionary Rebuff, Rewind, Rise of Eagles, Retribution, .
1 month ago
Awesome! Please don't forget about Steps 3 and 4 above ... we've love to pass on some Tips and Tricks, read your tournament reports, and generally talk about Ponza with you! Good luck (and good skill) with the deck!
Short story: IMO, Trinisphere is better in most metas, but Damping Sphere seems like a pretty good budget replacement, which will hopefully bring the price of Trin' back down to manageable levels. Thorn of Amethyst is a semi-budget option as well.
Long story: Some thoughts on all three options ...
- They all nerf Bloodbraid Elf (making the Cascade spell cost more to cast) ... Trin' is the worst for us there, then Damping Sphere, then Thorn. I personally don't mind this (e.g., when I want Trin' in a match-up, I REALLY want it, so don't care about the nerf), but some just hate it.
- We need a dork or Sprawl to play Trin' on Turn 2, so we would mulligan a little less often with Damping Sphere or Thorn.
- Mid-game, it's trickier for us to cast multiple spells per turn too. This most often happens vs. Control, where we're trying to cast 2x 3-drops so Trin' is better in this case, then Thorn, then Damping Sphere.
- Trin' makes us pay (3) for a Bolt, which feels pretty bad.
- Storm: Damping Sphere is better. Trin' makes Baral/Electromancer useless and makes it VERY tough for them to go off without a Repeal or Wipe Away (e.g., 8x Cantrips, 8x Rituals, 1x Gifts, 1x Past In Flames, and 1x Grapeshot for 18 costs (60)). But Damping Sphere makes it impossible for them to go off (e.g., the same sequence costs ~(200)). Thorn is the worst of the three (e.g., the same sequence costs (54) without Baral/Electromancer and (35) with one of the cost reducers. We can also shore up the match-up with more removal and graveyard hate.
- Bogles: Trin' is amazing in this match-up (since they run so few Lands, it's easy to keep them from being able to cast spells at all). Damping Sphere and Thorn are OK but not great. We can also shore up the match-up with Enchantment hate.
- Burn: Trin' is great in this match-up (forcing an opp to pay (3) to cast a Rift Bolt after it comes off Suspend is such a good feeling). Damping Sphere and Thorn are OK but not great. We can also shore up the match-up with more removal and lifegain.
- Gx Tron, Eldrazi Tron, and RG Eldrazi: Damping Sphere is great in these match-ups, while Trin' and Thorn are pretty much useless. Gx Tron doesn't need much help; we can shore up the Eldrazi tron and RG Eldrazi match-ups with big Creatures and more removal.
- Death's Shadow: Trin' is better (it's almost like Bogles ... since they run so few Lands, it's easy to keep them from being able to cast anything but Tasigur or Angler)
- Ad Nauseum and As Foretold: Trin' is great here.
- Ux Control: Trin' is better, since it complicates their counterspells + cantrips in the mid-game, and makes Bolt-Snap-Bolt cost (9) in the late game.
- Grishoalbrand and UR Breach: Trin' is better, since it complicates their early cantrips.
- Holllow One, Mardu Pyromancer and 8-Whack: Not sure, but I think Trin' is probably better.
- Infect: They're all great.
Sorry for the wall of text. Hope that helps!
2 months ago
I suppose it depends on when you need it. If you find yourself dying before you assemble tron, then Vapor Snag seems better. If you can afford to wait, then Repeal doesn't give up card advantage, and usually is way easier on the mana than Capsize. Of course, I've not actually played blue tron, so I can't say for sure.
3 months ago
What about adding blue for Wistful Thinking or Vision Skeins? This also lets you run things like Evacuation or Repeal that can be amusing to cast at the end of the opponent's turn so they have things to discard on your turn.
Throw in a copy of Geier Reach Sanitarium.
3 months ago
@VelvetVendetta Yeah, taht's a fine trade. The Spell Snare, Repeal, Imprisoned in the Moon are the weakest cards. I cycle them out to make room for stuff I want to try. I'll prob start slotting in Dispel since we have a second Ad Nauseam player now.
Not sure how to fight against T+T control... there's a bunch of good cards, tho: board wipes, cursed totem, notion thief, tabernacle, etc.
3 months ago
I think you should cut the 4x Sower of Temptation down to 2x Vedalken Shackles. This will give you 2 free slots for better stuff but also there is just too much against Sower. It dies to every relevant 1 mana kill spell in the format, it doesn't have flash, it's a 2/2 body for 4 mana, and in this style of deck you're not going to want to pay for a creature spell until you have mana up to protect it.
I suggest you fill the free spots with Think Twice, it's great to draw a card when you hold up mana to counter but don't need to. Or Spreading Seas MB mana hate is quite strong. Repeal/Cyclonic Rift/Void Snare/Reality Acid/Echoing Truth to answer noncreature threats that slip through counters and stuff like Choke. Or Telepathy, this card is just awesome all around and makes a huge difference.