|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|2010 Core Set (M10)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Sphinx
Whenever Sphinx Ambassador deals combat damage to a player, search that player's library for a card, then that player names a card. If you searched for a creature card that isn't the named card, you may put it onto the battlefield under your control. Then that player shuffles his or her library.
Sphinx Ambassador Discussion
1 month ago
EDIT - added links
Some Maybeboard cards I think should be in the main deck: Benthicore , Inspired Sphinx , Kederekt Leviathan , Pentavus , Intruder Alarm , and Soothsaying . Myr Turbine and Heartstone are kind of meh, I'd replace with Genesis Chamber and Unstable Obelisk . I'd also swap some counterspells - Geist Snatch , Summoner's Bane and Lazotep Plating in for Cancel , Dissipate and Rewind .
Cards I'm not really impressed by: Stormsurge Kraken , Tidespout Tyrant , Windreader Sphinx (depends how much flying you end up with), Sphinx Ambassador , Darksteel Colossus , Pathrazer of Ulamog , It That Betrays . I think it's better to focus on big guys that also have ETB effects than use these.
Some other cards to consider (plus the ones I sent you): Erratic Mutation , Synthetic Destiny , Evacuation , Aether Gale , AEtherize , Crystal Ball , Interpret the Signs , Precognitive Perception , Seer's Lantern , Ugin's Insight , Treasure Map Flip, Zhalfirin Void .
2 months ago
I LOVE this deck strategy, and there's a lot of cards that can support it (it's also super fun in commander). You are in red so if you want to go the Traitorous Blood , Hijack , etc. route, you easily can.
First thing that comes to mind of though is Knowledge Pool . Absolute sh*tstorm every time, so much fun.
Lastly, you have a bunch of other things thrown in here that don't follow this game plan (but do follow the game plan of your commander well). Things like Tatyova, Benthic Druid . I'm thinking you should make this specific deck less of a Stealing Deck, and just make it a better Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis deck. Then take all your Stealing cards and pick a different commander for that deck strategy (because it does sound super fun).
Some options for different commanders could be: Show
- Jeleva, Nephalia's Scourge : You lose white and green, but keep red and blue (your current most important Stealy colours). You also gain black which could give you some good graveyard steals
- Zedruu the Greathearted : You lose blue, which could be a big loss. But this also changes your deck strategy from Stealing to switching, which isn't that big of a difference but could be a lot of fun. Switch your Steel Golem for your opponents commander.
- Admiral Beckett Brass : Thieving, conniving, pirates. What more do you need? Still keeps your blue and red, and throws in black as well.
This is all off the top of my head, but I hope you get some help from it.
3 months ago
Thada Adel, Acquisitor is great at stealing other people's Sol Rings, amongst other potentially desirable artifacts. Wrexial, the Risen Deep is basically unblockable with Intimidate, Islandwalk, and Swampwalk.
Fireshrieker allows you to double up on a creature's combat damage trigger, and it can be tutored by Deadeye Quartermaster , who can also help you grab any of the equipment cards in your deck. Another good equipment to consider is Bloodforged Battle-Axe .
4 months ago
For removals, other than what I mentioned in my first comment, I'd suggest taking out:
- Essence Warden - you aren't a lifegain deck and have no other support for it
- Genesis Hydra - maybe it's just me, but I'm not a fan of this card, especially compared to Genesis Wave, which you have
- Sphinx Ambassador - it just seems like it doesn't match the rest of the theme of the deck
- Mind Over Matter - you don't currently have enough draw power to support this
- Journey of Discovery - replace this with some other ramp spell/ramp artifact that can get non-basics for less than six mana
- Quicksilver Amulet - this is a worse Planar Bridge, isn't it?
- Nissa, Steward of Elements - her +2 is meh. Her +0 is also meh since you have so many non-land, non-creature cards in the deck. And her -6 is also meh. I'd much prefer something like Nissa, Vastwood Seer Flip as her +1 gives a similar effect but her other abilities are more useful. Vivien Reid would (though expensive) be fantastic as would Garruk, Primal Hunter or Garruk, Caller of Beasts .
- Tamiyo, the Moon Sage - you aren't trying to play staxy
4 months ago
I absolutely love this deck! Once again this is another brilliant flavour filled deck you have here. Just a little suggestion but I think this deck could do with Sphinx Ambassador , it's a great card in general but also sort of adds to the flavour of asking your opponent a difficult riddle, with the added bonus of getting an extra creature if your opponent can't answer correctly, I would probably replace Mirror Entity or Sandstone Oracle if you decide to add it in. All together though I really like it keep up the great work! :)
6 months ago
Deceiver of Form... kinda cool.
Tidal Force... might be even better than frost titan. Good for politics too.
Sphinx Ambassador... this card is ridiculous.
Platinum Emperion... why not.
Platinum Angel... and again why not. These last two could serve as your "lifegain."
Nullstone Gargoyle... hilarious.
Galecaster Colossus... more removal.
6 months ago
ooooooze: Wow glad you like it! Let me know if you find any other cards you like for it or any tweaks you make once you have played with it a bit. This can be a team effort! Have fun probably not winning but having tons of fun! Also feel free to share stories of ridiculous stuff that happens. For example, the other day I Chaos Wanded an Expropriate and Sphinx Ambassadored an Iona, Shield of Emeria in the same game!
8 months ago
Evacuation to pop off at instant speed right before your creatures come out of suspension might be loony.
Sneak Attack would be good if you do intend to steer away from Eldrazi.
I think more counterspells to assure your threats don't get interrupted is a must especially since this deck requires so much set up to get going. On that note, I'd then bring in Snapcaster Mage and possibly even Torrential Gearhulk since your sorceries have such high value. You might also consider Archaeomancer depending on how highly you value your instants/sorceries.
Chancellor of the Spires is a fun blue fatty, so is Diluvian Primordial, Sphinx Ambassador and as vanilla as Inkwell Leviathan might look, it is super hard to deal with. You could also consider the new card Arcane Artisan to cheat out fatties if Jhoira is uncastable. Also, Timebender could be nice here too.
In summary, I think the deck is very strong but could use some more support in the counterspell department, with a little spell recursion (Snapcaster, Torrential, etc). I would also consider throwing in a bit more mana rock ramp to assure you have enough mana if Jhoira is uncastable. Consider Mind Stone, Thought Vessel andCoalition Relic as the three more important ones, and possibly even Hedron Archive or Commander's Sphere.
I would also say think hard on Obliterate, Jokulhaups, and Decree of Annihilation. I personally think they are great win conditions, but can lead to a lot of the same lines of play which can make games repetitive. I definitely wouldn't say cut them all together because they're a valid strategy to pretty much every Jhoira deck, but play around with the numbers, maybe try out 2 or maybe just one so you're not relying too heavily on them. Just find what feels right.
Sphinx Ambassador occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%