|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Iconic Masters (IMA)||Mythic Rare|
|Masterpiece Series: Amonkhet Invocations (AKHMPS)||Common|
|Mirrodin Besieged (MBS)||Mythic Rare|
|Mirrodin Besieged: Phyrexia (MBP)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Sphinx
Whenever an opponent draws a card, you may draw two cards.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (22)||warcry02 , NOGzFTW , Nemesis , Qolorful , ibraJG84 , mcstang1986 , thetechzombie , kpral , angesoir , cklise , , Azdranax , ironax , Vasbear1 , buildingadeck , wackozacko , miracle , killstars , lolpatrol , CampbellStev , MattN7498 , KillDatBUG|
|Want (16)||Ariumlegion , essex0619 , xpsychovampx , Galdelonian , LoneCrusader399 , KevinLS , Malachy_ , BetaTest , richardmv , TheLazyGrim , pskinn01 , Myllyes314 , vashaclarens , sonnet666 , MoJoMiXuP , firemind12|
Consecrated Sphinx Discussion
11 hours ago
i would also add these :
- Consecrated Sphinx , Jushi Apprentice , Kefnet the Mindful , Psychic Spiral , Mind's Dilation , Inspiring Statuary , Displacement Wave , Displacement Wave.
Since the deck is pretty late game, u could use some bord wipes.. untill u are able to get your commander into play (sometimes it happens, that u need to wait about 10 turns to get your commander into play.. So u have to at least be able to drop some of the oponents creatures to their hands.)
on Oloro Stuff
3 days ago
- Chalice of Life Flip: Isn't the worst card in Oloro, but isn't all that reliable either.
- Darksteel Plate: I've seen you play this card a bunch of times, and most of the time it just sits there, all menacingly. Problem is - your deck doesn't plan to use creatures often, so the plate also won't be used either.
- Dreamstone Hedron: Ramp is great, but expensive ones that produce colorless mana can be iffy since they're often easy targets right after you play them. Gilded Lotus can at least let you cast counterspells after you tap all your lands to play it.
- Orzhov Keyrune: This one is just personal preference from me. I don't like 3 mana artifact ramp most of the time. (Chromatic Lantern and Darksteel Ingot are much better) It's up to you if you wanna take it out or not.
- Sun Droplet: This card is very slow and you could easily replace it with something better.
- Subversion: It may seem like a decent drain effect, but it's not that great since it's 5 mana and makes you wait til your next upkeep before it does anything.
- Thought Reflection: Decent card, but 7 mana is pretty costly. Up to you if you wanna keep it.
- Celestial Force: It's nice to instantly gain life each upkeep, but 8 mana for basically just a vanilla creature otherwise isn't really good.
- Pontiff of Blight: Extort is nice for your deck, but your deck doesn't have many creatures to take advantage of the pontiff. Up to you if you wanna keep this guy if you wanna add more creatures.
- Skirge Familiar: I think this card would be a lot better if your deck was more combo focused.
- Azorius Chancery: These types of lands will flat out screw you over if they get destroyed or Blood Mooned.
Cards you definitely should add (won't cost you a whole lot):
- Crested Sunmare: Easily synergizes with Oloro and provides very solid creatures for defensive/offensive plays.
- Aetherflux Reservoir: The win condition you've been looking for. It's a pretty funny card honestly, but works very well with Oloro once you get him going.
- Alhammarret's Archive: Simply synergizes well with Oloro.
- Felidar Sovereign: Not sure how the others would feel about alternative win conditions, but if everyone' okay with it, this guy can most likely win you some games.
- Karlov of the Ghost Council: An awesome card. Can help control the board or becomes a big body to swing with.
- Delay, Counterspell, Swan Song, Negate: Good, cheap counterspells you should at least be running.
- Sphinx's Revelation: Put that ramping to good use.
- Anguished Unmaking, Cyclonic Rift: Must-have control instants.
- Supreme Verdict, Merciless Eviction, Fumigate: Excellent board wipes to go with Oloro.
- Clever Impersonator: This guy's incredibly flexible and can be useful in just about any situation.
- Mana Confluence: Almost exactly another copy of City of Brass.
- Temple of Enlightenment, Temple of Silence, Temple of Deceit: These will make your mana base a tad bit more consistent while helping you a bit with your next draw as well.
- Diabolic Tutor/Dark Petition/more tutors: Your deck would be more consistent if it had more tutors.
- Brainstorm: Generally a good blue card to manipulate your deck/hand a bit at an instant.
Suggestions (Some are costly, but very worth it for Oloro):
- Grave Titan: Just a powerhouse in general. Just like Crested Sunmare, Grave Titan will give you excellent battlefield presence.
- Whip of Erebos: If you do add more creatures like Grave Titan, this card can be very good for your life gain strategy.
- Sun Titan: One of my favorites. Can grab back some useful stuff, even land.
- Soul Warden, Soul's Attendant, Suture Priest, Auriok Champion: The soul sisters. You shouldn't include all of them at once though. Just keep them in mind since they're good against creature-heavy decks.
- Consecrated Sphinx: Costly, but worth.
- Kambal, Consul of Allocation: Punishes spell-slinging decks, and generally nice if he sticks around.
- Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim: She can be good if you can keep your life total high enough.
- Sanguine Sacrament: Pretty nice for the deck's game plan at instant speed.
- Demonic Tutor: Arguably the best tutor you can find, but the price tag will probably turn you away. But... Greatness, at any cost.. Right?
- Enlightened Tutor, Mystical Tutor, Vampiric Tutor: Excellent tutors, but expensive (although Mystical Tutor is only around $5; not a whole lot compared to Vampiric Tutor).- Austere Command: Another one of my favorites. Very flexible, and doesn't cost a whole lot either.
- Torment of Hailfire: This card will probably make everyone hate you, but it's a fantastic card nonetheless.
- Leyline of Anticipation: One of the best blue enchantments in my opinion. Allows you to intimidate everyone just by playing a land on your turn.
- Crawlspace: Good against creature-heavy decks.
- Talisman of Dominance, Talisman of Progress, Fellwar Stone: Some decent and cheap mana rocks if you want more ramp.
- Decree of Pain: A good tempo swing in your favor if there are a ton of creatures in play. Kinda costly to play though.
- Hallowed Fountain, Godless Shrine, Watery Grave: Shock lands. Excellent at increasing consistency with mana bases. They're even better with the Fetch lands. All of these lands are very costly though.
- Flooded Plains, Marsh Flats, Polluted Delta: Example Fetch lands you could use.
- Ponder, Preordain: Cheap cantrips for a little more consistency.
- Maze of Ith, Kor Haven: Decent control lands.
- Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Cabal Coffers: Generates a ton of mana if you get them together.
- Expedition Map: Can help getting the above lands or any land you need.
- Crypt Ghast: Synergizes very well with Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, but is overall decent for your deck.
That's all I can think of for now. I can post more for you if I think of anything else.
6 days ago
Tap lands like Dismal Backwater or Jwar Isle Refuge can go. Here's some lands you don't have listed that are good in my opinion Sunken Hollow, Watery Grave, Tainted Isle, Sunken Ruins and Ash Barrens.
Dreamborn Muse, Riddlekeeper, Oblivion Sower can be good if you're exiling stuff, Manic Scribe, Crypt Ghast, Mortivore maybe?, Guiltfeeder, Nighthowler, Eater of the Dead, King Macar, the Gold-Cursed, Thousand-Year Elixir, Wight of Precinct Six, Consecrated Sphinx, Arcane Denial, Mirage Mirror can be secretly good, Stolen Goods, Praetor's Grasp and Dream Fracture.
I feel like the defender route can be... alright but with dimir you might as well just have good useful creatures that so happen to have decent toughness... also I feel like Jace, Vryn's Prodigy Flip, Oona, Queen of the Fae, Thunder Wall, Wall of Spears, Reinforced Bulwark, and Psychic Membrane are either don't fit or you can find something better.
1 week ago
mrlucky131313, thank you for the card suggestions, also if you didn't know you can tag cards using the following code [ [insert card name here w/o spaces in brackets] ]. Now, as for your suggestions here's my input:
Shapers' Sanctuary: Interesting card, but it relies too heavily on opponents wanting to rely on targeted removal to be consistently useful. It's a nice deterrent card, but in EDH I think opponents wouldn't be too hung up over me drawing a single card if they can remove a pesky creature.
Lightning Greaves/Swiftfoot Boots: Awesome card, and perfect for a big beefy creature that needs haste and protection. These cards however seem a bit redundant as I have both Heart Sliver + Blur Sliver in the deck. Crystalline Sliver also provides much needed protection for all slivers as opposed to just one that's equipped. The icing on the cake however is the fact that all of the previously mentioned slivers are tutorable ala the Commander.
Call to the Kindred: Awesome card, but it's too expensive cmc wise for me to want to run it. Additionally, it's entirely dependent on the presence of creatures to actually be worthwhile. I wish it was on a sliver. I'd love it if they put this card on a Sliver. I think this card was once in the deck, but it was cut to make room for better options.
Mimic Vat: I'm not so sure about this one. If you didn't notice, i'm running strictly Sliver tribal here and uh...I wouldn't know what to do with this one. Maybe you could explain how it'd be of use in this deck?
Consecrated Sphinx/Snapcaster Mage: These are not slivers. Therefore, they have no place here in the hive. Now, if Wizards would produce some new slivers with these abilities? Then i'd be all about them.
Cyclonic Rift: Read my decklist, it's already in lol. In fact, i'd argue that all blue EDH decks worth their merit have this card already.
Also, this is shameless...but a +1 would be most appreciated.
1 week ago
I agree with Z4k16, Maelstrom Wanderer is a must. In addition to the Myojin, I would suggest cutting Ghalta, Primal Hunger and add Consecrated Sphinx or another source of significant card draw. I definitely like some of the cards you have in your decklist, but here is mine: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/yidris-making-everything-out-of-nothing/
1 week ago
In playing I have found an infinite mana combo: Gilded Lotus
and a buyback spell - like Capsize to bounce the entire board or Forbid.
obviously this is a 4 card combo, but I thought it was funny that I assembled it without even tutoring while playing today. Im sure there could be more combos w/ all the untapping effects here. The deck has many different lines of play and intricacies which Im a huge fan of.
the deck feels so strong once you get unesh out and get going, chaining your sphinges and spells together. Some cards that Im really liking:Grand Architect for ramp and the +1/+1 buff is just gravy.
Crystal Shard has proven to be really useful.
Stubborn Denial seems great on paper in this deck as well but I haven't been able to try it yet. What do you think about it?
some cards Im still unsure about are: Arcane Adaptation( I have 7 creatures out of 25 which are not sphinx)
Have you tried these last two? seems only good with untapping effects or a really grindy game. thinking of adding mystical tutor for utility or some more counters/removal.
1 week ago
You'll want Cyclonic Rift. It's one of the best tempo cards in EDH. Also, if you're going for control as your theme you're probably going to want more counter magic, like Counterspell. Swords to Plowshares is also good.
Another thing to think about is whether or not the lifegain strategy is going to work given the current control shell. Maybe you could mill yourself out and with with Laboratory Maniac, which is pretty easy to do, as an alternate win condition.
Some other cards to consider: Mind's Dilation, Supreme Verdict, Merciless Eviction, Rhystic Study, Consecrated Sphinx, Sphinx's Revelation, Blue Sun's Zenith, As Foretold, Mystical Tutor, Baleful Strix.
1 week ago
Thanks for the mention! I do like this! Non-black is something I've wanted to build for a while. Definitely use the same commanders; but my plan was mana rocks/dorks and Paradox Engine combos lol
I can see the goodstuff is real here. A lot of fun bangers on the top end so opponents will need to be ready to respond to lots of threats.
With an avg cmc of 5+ are you finding you're able to ramp hard enough to hit all those things in the 6-12cmc range? If you're casting one incremental spell each turn a control player might keep up. Approximately 20% of the deck is ramp, but you have a ton of fatties in here haha ;D