|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander Anthology 2018 (CM2)||Rare|
|Explorers of Ixalan (EO2)||None|
|Commander 2015 (C15)||Rare|
|MTG: Commander (CMD)||Rare|
|Rise of the Eldrazi (ROE)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
As an additional cost to cast this spell, reveal a creature card from your hand.
Disaster Radius deals X damage to each creature your opponents control, where X is the revealed card's converted mana cost.
Disaster Radius Discussion
6 months ago
A few suggestions (if accessible)...
Decimator of the Provinces , Ulamog's Crusher , Breaker of Armies , Hamletback Goliath , Ruric Thar, the Unbowed I think are all good budget suggestions. If you have a few dollars you could work up to Siege Behemoth , Elderscale Wurm , and Vigor would be some solid uogrades.
Drumhunter and Lifecrafter's Bestiary are budget draw engines for decks like this (even if Bestiary doesn’t work off of Mayael’s ability). Also, Congregation at Dawn is a super hawt budget tutor for any Mayael deck!
Sweet deck! +1
8 months ago
Hey I got some inputs you may want to consider. Of course every deck's performance is closely related to the meta you're playing, but these are some things I think can help.
In my opinion, Haste is more relevant than, for example, Double strike in your deck, since dragons are big enough by default, same goes for Crucible of Fire. Having that is a bit overkill. I think I'd cut Berserkers' Onslaught, Rage Reflection and Crucible of Fire for this reason. I'd also cut Emblem of the Warmind because it's so very easy to deal with. Instead, I think it would be better to add Anger , Fervor , Hammer of Purphoros . Also, these cards can lower your average CMC.
Counter magic can be toublesome when you look at the high CMC of your spells, so Conqueror's Flail can help you protect against that. Also Red Elemental Blast and Pyroblast are good on these same way. Another thing is the sweepers, since your creatures will be the biggest and more costly, Wrath effects are more detrimental to you. Maybe squeezing in a Warping Wail to protect your board against that can be useful and also the least expected in a mono red deck.
I think you're OK when it comes to drawing cards, but there are some things I think can be improved. First, there is Urza's Blueprints which isn't very mana efficient. For 6 mana artifact you should replace it with The Immortal Sun , so much more at same cost. Then, comes the "when something happens, pay some mana to draw" effects, which I think are no good when you look at how much mana you're spending on your creatures: Here we have Mind's Eye and Seer's Sundial. Not only these cards require stuff to happen but also that you pay precious, scarce mana for them. Farsight Mask comes here as well; I think these can be replaced by Outpost Siege (choosing Khans) and Vance's Blasting Cannons Flip. The Outpost has a teeny tiny difference with the Cannons in that it lets you play lands while Cannons does not. Staff of Nin is a bit high cost for what it does but I think it's OK considering it's a "secure" draw. Dragon's Hoard is somewhat slow, but as it also gives you mana fits great. Same thing with Vanquisher's Banner, as it gives a little buff and some draw as well. Knollspine Dragon can really draw lots of cards, but somewhat late I think. I wouldn't cut it though, I'd maybe add Dragon Mage to refill your hand.
Looking your ramp, you got some good choices. I'd add Herald's Horn and Ruby Medallion to the "lowering cost" pack and also The Immortal Sun as I already mentioned. I think you should consider the inclusion of Solemn Simulacrum and Burnished Hart to get lands and also, there's this land I really like on mono colored decks with lots of basic lands, Terrain Generator . I'd be careful with symmetric effects such as Gauntlet of Power and Mana Flare, it could be dangerous to give free mana to your opponents. On a related subject, in addition to Belbe's Portal, maybe adding a Quicksilver Amulet and Cryptic Gateway as a second and third ways to cheat dragons at instant speed.
Your deck is lacking removal, there's virtually none if you don't count the effects on some creatures and as we all know, creatures are the most vulnerable permanent on the board. So, Chaos Warp is a must I think considering the versatility it provides. Warstorm Surge could kill most of your opponents creatures whenever a dragon enters the battlefield or do lots of damage directly to your opponents. Kilnmouth Dragon can act as a removal for creatures as well. Steel Hellkite fits here too, it's a dragon and can get any permanent of the specific cost needed, kills tokens for 0 mana, for example. Also, Vandalblast to get rid of your opponents' mana rocks. Earthquake is OK, I'd rather run Magmaquake or Starstorm because of instant speed, but I'd consider adding Blasphemous Act and maybe Hour of Devastation , Chain Reaction or Mizzium Mortars . Disaster Radius has a high CMC but it doesn't hit you or your stuff.
The last ability on Sarkhan, Dragonsoul is ridiculous, but hard to achieve. Still, I think it may worth the try.
Swiftfoot Boots instead of Mask of Avacyn, equipping for 3 mana is way too high.
1 year ago
TheNocholas thank you for the suggestions! I’m going to get rid of Disaster Radius and a mountain for Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle and Warstorm Surge, they kinda just seem like direct upgrades to those cards
1 year ago
Love Purphoros, figure I'd share some of my findings from when I'd play him. When I put Purphoros together, felt like I really ran out of fuel too fast, so I changed up my mana rock and creature selection.
The principle i'm applying here is I'm red, I run out of cards due to my low CMC, so at all points i need to be able to convert my field into more fuel. The last one Coveted Jewel is pretty easy to protect in such a crazy token deck as well.
Other Draw Effects : Prophetic Flamespeaker usually results in two cards, as he has double strike. Both him and Stromkirk Occultist are great, as youre trying to win via damage anyway. Commune with Lava Do Commune with Lava before your turn starts, usually in response to someone moving to their end step. Nets you a bunch of toys next turn. Vance's Blasting Cannons Flip Worse than outpost siege, but from my perspective I just dont care, as I want to draw cards lol.
I noticed there's not a lot of super strong removal or instant speed stuff so I figured I'd drop a few cards for those as well.
Volcanic Offering Volcanic offering in multiplayer usually results in two threats removed, and two lands removed. Seismic Strike (Assuming you just have lands, its 3 mana for 3 damage, and it gets better as time goes on.) Chain Reaction The majority of reds field wipes kind of suck, so im not sure how else to help you here. Less conditional than Aligned Hedron Network, and will hit very hard since you're a token based deck. Starstorm Instant speed, cycling, really good! Disaster Radius and Volcanic Vision are one sided. The last one lets you recur usually a good token spell as well, though ill admit its one of the weaker suggestions.
Although Purphoros is really, really strong against restrictive enchantment decks, I run a lot of enchantment removal and when you run against an azorius deck trying to ruin fun, i always wish I had them in my mono red decks.
Scour from Existence Every time I've cast this, it's saved me. As weird as it sounds and yes its 7 mana, but there are so many times I've been playing where I wished I had this or chaos warp, admittedly Chaos Warp is better, but you can only run one of them :(. Unstable Obelisk Meteor Golem He triggers purphoros too!
1 year ago
1 year ago
If you don't mind using an infinite combo, Palinchron would be a good add (though a little pricy, around $25). Can give you infinite mana with Deadeye Navigator, or infinite mana and Palinchron copies with Riku.
You can check out my deck if you'd like: Riku of the Infinite ETB Triggers
1 year ago
Cards I think are very good in this deck:
Blade of Selves, Sunbird's Invocation, Nahiri, the Harbinger - These synergize with your game plan of casting a bunch of big Angels and beating down with them. They're also just individually powerful cards.
Cards I would heavily consider cutting:
- Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit - While the deck has a lot of nontoken creatures, most of the counters will end up on utility creatures, not Angels, and you don't have any synergy with +1/+1 counters.
- Blaze Commando - You have 5 total sorcery spells that deal damage, and all but Disaster Radius and Meteor Blast kill all your Elementals (and probably the Commando). It just isn't a fit for this deck.
- Firemane Angel - This card is just a lot of mana for an underwhelming creature. It's recursive, but you already have Defy Death and Gift of Immortality to recur creatures, and you're running so many big creatures that it's not a huge concern.
- Firemane Avenger - I'm not super sure on this one (it might be alright), but it feels very low-impact, and if you can attack with three creatures safely, you're probably in a position where you don't need a free Lightning Helix. This is probably one of the last cuts to make.
- Flamewright - This card just isn't doing anything this deck wants.
- Fumiko the Lowblood - Maybe I'm wrong, but this just doesn't seem like an effect this deck needs, especially after cutting the Humans side of the deck.
- Glory-Bound Initiate - Again, just too low-impact for Commander.
- Goldnight Castigator - I misremembered this one - it's not as good as I thought it was. Probably too low-impact, and dangerous (it puts a big target on your head when you take double damage).
- Hanweir Lancer - Do you really need first strike when all your creatures are probably better than anything your opponents will likely have? It beats deathtouch, but so does indestructible, and that also protects the creature from removal. We can do better.
- Hero of Oxid Ridge - Are 1-power creatures blocking Angels that often? Probably not. Without that relevant clause, this is a 4/2 with battle cry - not very relevant for a big creature deck. And it's not on theme.
- Iroas's Champion - See Glory-Bound Initiate.
- Jareth, Leonine Titan - This card is okay, but we can probably fill this slot with a better creature for the deck. One of the last cuts, most likely.
- Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer - This effect is powerful, but we aren't heavy on artifacts, so metalcraft is unreliable, and we aren't a deck that can make the best use out of it.
- Odric, Lunarch Marshal - We can get something very similar with Angelic Skirmisher, which is an Angel and does something on an empty board.
- Shepherd of the Lost - See Glory-Bound Initiate.
- Skyknight Legionnaire - See you-know-what.
- Sun Titan - This guy is awesome, but he's not likely to bring back much of value in a deck filled to the brim with big Angels.
- Thalia, Heretic Cathar - Is this an effect this deck really wants? If it is, Blind Obedience is an enchantment that hits artifacts instead of nonbasics, and also extorts (It is legal in this deck).
- Truefire Paladin See...yawn
- Victory's Herald - We're an ANGEL deck! We don't need to give our creatures FLYING! In all seriousness, this is very redundant with a deck made up of 30% fliers, 30% support spells, and 40% mana.
- Deathrender - This card is just kinda expensive and difficult to use, and it only lets us cheat out Angels we can just cast anyway.
- Banishing Light - This is a small upgrade, but Grasp of Fate is probably just better.
- Citadel Siege - This card draws a bunch of hate, but isn't so impactful it wins us the game (like Sunbird's Invocation). We can do much better.
- Curse of the Nightly Hunt - Like Fumiko the Lowblood, I'm not convinced we want this effect.
- Faith's Fetters - I'd rather run something more like Banishing Light as enchantment-based removal, because it deals with static abilities like, for example, Angel of Invention.
- Battle Hymn - This card is both really awkward (makes red mana when most of our expensive stuff is white) and not actually going to produce much mana outside of a token deck. We really don't need an effect like this one.
- Martial Glory - Our creatures are already big, so do we really need a combat trick to make them good? I don't think so.
- Ancient Amphitheater - We aren't running Giant tribal, so this is just a worse Wind-Scarred Crag 95% of the time. I'd rather run a basic, or a Reliquary Tower or something.
- Evolving Wilds, Terramorphic Expanse, Vivid Crag, Vivid Meadow - We're a 2-color deck - we really don't need to run what amount to tapped basics most of the time.
Cards I'm unsure about:
- The token cards: Adriana, Captain of the Guard, Sunhome Guildmage, Assemble the Legion, Cathars' Crusade - These cards are all great (and gave me an idea for a deck to build) but I don't think they're a fit for this deck. Either expand on the token plan, or cut these.
- Emancipation Angel - I don't think we need this? If it had flash, I'm all for it, but as it is I don't think we want to bounce our expensive creatures.
- Thalia's Lancers - I don't think we have enough legendary permanents that this is worth playing. If you end up adding more, then go for it.
- Meteor Blast - We're running white - we can get less expensive one-sided boardwipes, I feel.
- Nevermore - If we end up running ways to tutor up enchantments, this is a great silver bullet answer to almost anything, but even in that case, I think Gideon's Intervention is better most of the time. Maybe you run both?
Cards I recommend:
- "Voltron" cards - Since Anya can easily become indestructible and is already evasive, she's a good candidate for winning with commander damage. Loxodon Warhammer is already in the deck, as is Lightning Greaves, so we've got a head start. Some cards I'd recommend are:
- Swiftfoot Boots - Basically Lightning Greaves, but you can target the creature. If you intend to pile a bunch of equipment on Anya this is probably a better option.
- Grappling Hook - Gives Anya double strike, as well as helping you get rid of problem creatures (Remember Anya has flying, so a nonflier can't block her).
- Argentum Armor - Much like the Hook, this makes Anya a serious threat while helping deal with problematic permanents.
- Assault Suit - Get Anya attacking on everyone else's turns, too!
- Champion's Helm - Protects Anya while also making her big.
- Godsend - A bit pricy, but discourages opponents from attacking into or blocking Anya, and a combo with Grappling Hook
- Inquisitor's Flail - Anya's indestructible, so this card's downside is completely meaningless.
- Pariah's Shield - When equipped to Anya, this basically makes you invincible.
- Puresteel Paladin - If you go hard on the Equipment theme, this guy will put in work. Probably not the best if you stick with Angels, though.
- Stoneforge Masterwork - This one should be obvious.
- Steelshaper's Gift - Again, if you go deep with Equipment, consider this.
- Sword of the Animist - Ramp sword? Ramp sword.
- Sword of Vengeance - Give Anya every keyword ever printed on a creature. And +2/+0!
- Worldslayer - This one is just to silly to not bring up.
- Herald's Horn - Makes your Angels cheaper, and helps you draw them.
- Door of Destinies - This should be fairly obvious.
- Kindred Charge - This card will win you games, I guarantee it. Especially with stuff like Angel of Serenity.
- Vanquisher's Banner - Similar to Herald's Horn. Makes your Angels big instead of cheap.
- Angel of Sanctions - Banishing Light on a stick? That you can use twice? Seems good.
- Angel of the Dire Hour - Get 'em! Just don't play this on your combat phase.
- Angelic Skirmisher - Give your team some nice abilities, and on an Angel to boot!
- Archangel of Tithes - Makes life hard for token decks and discourages attacks.
- Aurelia, the Warleader - How are you not already running this? Well, whatever, I won't judge.
- Basandra, Battle Seraph - Prevents opponents getting tricky in combat, and helps deal with problematic utility creatures that are otherwise hard to get rid of.
- Exquisite Archangel - Saves you from death once, which damn well better be enough.
- Karmic Guide - Recurs your big threats which would otherwise rot in your graveyard forever.
- Linvala, Keeper of Silence - A hefty price tag, but an upgrade to think about. Completely shuts down powerful utility creatures and mana dorks (it doesn't care whether the ability is a mana ability).
- Platinum Angel - You literally can't lose. The purpose is obvious, although the target on your head is just as visible.
- Reya Dawnbringer - Basically a repeated Karmic Guide - who wouldn't love to make their Angels unkillable?
- Twilight Shepherd - Having this card sitting on the battlefield makes nobody want to boardwipe, since you just get all your creatures back anyway.
- Avacyn, Angel of Hope - Expensive, but well worth the price - it's really hard to deal with an indestructible field of anything, let alone big fliers.
- Hour of Devastation - Three mana boardwipes are quite strong, and this card almost always costs three mana in Commander. This one even hits artifacts, enchantments, and planeswalkers!
- Boros Charm - A versatile spell that can save you from a boardwipe, make an Angel a major threat, or just burn someone out of the game, if need be.
- Master Warcraft - Completely blowing out two opponents seems well worth four mana to me! If need be, it can even just be a Fog.
- Wear / Tear - Versatile artifact and enchantment removal.
- Return to Dust - Just like Wear / Tear. I put this one in basically every white deck I make.
- Swords to Plowshares - Spot removal that deals with just about any creature.
- Grand Abolisher - We wouldn't want any pesky blue mages countering our Angels, would we? Also has the upside of preventing combat trickery on your turn.
On the manabase:
I like that you put in so many mana rocks and lands (a lot of first-time deck builders might skimp in this regard) but the colors are a bit strange. You have more red sources than white, despite the fact you have more white cards than red. I would cut a few Mountains and replace them with Plains.
Obviously you can't run all of these recommendations, but pick the ones you like the best to fill the empty slots. Overall, I quite like the premise of the deck, but it could use a lot of polish.
2 years ago
- Emeria Shepherd - Taurean Mauler
- Stonehewer Giant - Soul of Shandalar
- Sun Titan - Serra Avatar
- Mask of Memory - Disaster Radius
- Outpost Siege - Meteor Blast
For a total of $7.85 for these swaps
No data for this card yet.