|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Oath of the Gatewatch (OGW)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Devoid (This card has no colour.)
Counter target spell. If that spell is countered this way, exile it instead of putting it into its owner's graveyard.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Void Shatter Discussion
4 days ago
Ooooo I like a LOT.
I have a few suggestions:
Hostage Taker is AMAZING when flickered, as you can keep strealing and playing Creatures, even Indestructible ones.
Deadeye Navigator would help you do this, and it's name is flavorful for Pirates.
Metallic Mimic would give you an excellent early play. It's costly to buy at the moment, but will drop in price when it rotates out. I like early plays in EDH that help to establish a strong board, as nothing much is going on for those Turns.
You have no Counter spells, when there are some VERY good ones that cost peanuts.
River's Rebuke is a nice card for interrupting one of your your Opponent's tempo, and putting you in the driving seat. Crush of Tentacles is also good, and suits the flavour. If you were going to use that card you might want some stuff in your deck that gives you no maximum hand size.
Tezzeret the Schemer looks like a Pirate, as far as I am concerned, and can help to Ramp. His Emblem would be fantastic in this deck, with all the Artifact generation you have.
That's all I have.
+1 from me for the Tribe.
Here's my standard version:
Ahoy, Me Hearties!
2 weeks ago
OK, now for cuts:
- Howl of the Horde is only really good in a deck that youre going to be attacking a lot. 3 mana for a Fork is too much here.
- Talrand's Invocation likewise doesnt do a lot. 4 mana for 2 2/2 fliers is bad in EDH, and 6 mana for 4 2/2 fliers with Riku isnt great either.
- Telemin Performance just doesnt do a lot.
- world of war is also mainly only good in attacking decks, and most of your win conditions are combos.
- Fabricate is good, but you dont have a lot of artifacts that are critical to your deck.
- Chandra, the Firebrand is also pretty much a 4-mana Fork, which still isnt great here.
- Desertion is good, but its just too much mana for a counterspell.
- Hinder was mainly used when the tuck rule was still in effect, where you couldnt return you commander to the command zone if it got put into your deck somehow. Now, its become outdated. Same with Spell Crumple.
- Increasing Vengeance is good, and could very well belong here, but Im not a huge fan.
- Counterflux, Plasm Capture, Void Shatter and Voidslime are also fairly expensive for counterspells in a deck that isnt hard-control.
- Manalith is too easily outclassed by other mana rocks.
- Archaeomancer is possibly too much mana for the effect. This one is more of a personal preference, but it could very well belong here. Im just not a huge fan.
- Melek, Izzet Paragon is also too much mana for too little reward.
In case you didn't notice, there's a little bit of a theme with the above cards. None of them are bad cards, but in most cases, you're spending too much mana for an effect you can get much cheaper with another card. Or, some of them just don't belong in the typical Riku build.
Well, in any case, thats all I have for now. If youd like some other comments (perhaps youd rather not run so many infinite combos), feel absolutely free to comment on my wall again; Id be happy to make another pass. Enjoy!
2 weeks ago
I like the idea of Dissolve, I think I will do that change. I like the idea of Dissipate and Void Shatter because of their ability to exile cards from the opponent's deck, but I may just leave one of those in my Sideboard.
I was considering Foresee when I was drafting this, but I am not too keen on the cost. However, I may go for that in lieu of Augur of Bolas. While Augur lets me have that one sorcery, throwing the rest of (potentially useful) cards to the bottom of the deck can be annoying. Scry at least lets me choose. Jace's Sanctum is cool, but doesn't combo with Talrand well, and I am not sure what to cut for that.
1 month ago
1 month ago
I used to play a Thing in the Ice Flip based deck. I didn't use Dismiss into Dream and cheap bounce spells, because it's not universal - what if opponent is playing e.g. burn? So, I decided to add 4x Baral, Chief of Compliance to get advantage of counterspells and Cryptic Serpent as a win condition (in fact, at some point I realized Cryptic Serpent is better than Thing in the Ice Flip so I played 3 of them and moved 2 Thing in the Ice Flips to sideboard). My main counterspells were Void Shatters, Supreme Wills, Censors (current standard cards are pretty good in a deck like this) and Remands. I added some Hieroglyphic Illuminations to fill graveyard easily with casting or cycling and Drake Havens to sideboard (12 "discard/cycle" cards - Censors, Hieroglyphic Illuminations, Baral, Chief of Compliances) as a win condition in match-ups where you can be more offensive. Serum Visions is a good card to set up a good early game +it fills your graveyard +trigger Thing in the Ice Flip ability, Spreading Seas in sideboard slows your opponent down, so you can wait 'till mid-late game.
1 month ago
Bitter OrdealRakdos Charm Infinite Obliteration Containment PriestPath to Exile Swords to Plowshares Leyline of the Void Scrabbling Claws Crypt Incursion Honor the Fallen Dissipate Void Shatter Syncopate Cursed Totem those are only a small amount of the other cards that hose you, i could continue but yea
1 month ago
SCORE: 2 | 2 COMMENTS | 901 VIEWS | IN 1 FOLDER