|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander Anthology 2018 (CM2)||Uncommon|
|Commander Anthology (CM1)||Uncommon|
|Eternal Masters (EMA)||Uncommon|
|Commander 2013 (C13)||Uncommon|
|MTG: Commander (CMD)||Uncommon|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Incarnation
As long as Wonder is in your graveyard and you control an Island, creatures you control have flying.
18 hours ago
I don't really disagree, but I have Biomancer's Familiar in there to serve as a back up Training Grounds for Deadeye and Biogenic Ooze's abilities. I was considering maybe cutting Wonder and Entomb for Akroma's Memorial and Master Biomancer . That way I retain my ability to give my creatures Flying.. and they get a ton of other keyword abilities too.
The only issue is the increased CMC of Akroma's Memorial and the greater ease of removing it.
2 weeks ago
I've been piloting a Scarab God commander deck recently as well, he's one of my favorite commanders by far. I think I may have some advice to give, haha.
The way I've built mine is with more of a focus on SG's first ability, and poured a lot of spots into token generation. Cards like Grave Titan , Cryptbreaker , and Ghoulcaller Gisa are fantastic additions to this deck, and you can get double the mileage out of the titan via SG's reanimation, along with other reanimator effects. I'd recommend Nim Deathmantle for this. Ashnod's Altar is a phenomenal card to have in a token focused deck, and since it's at instant speed you can just throw one of your tokens under the bus to pay for that last bit of mana. It's also got some insane combo potential with Nim Deathmantle (the two combo infinitely with Grave Titan if you're interested).
In regards to zombie anthems, cards like Metallic Mimic and Adaptive Automaton usually fly under the radar, and there's a few more than the ones you have in here already (though you've likely seen them at some point). Wonder is a great thing to put in, because a horde of 5/5 flying zombies is not something you want to be on the receiving end of. A couple more anthems for your deck I'd recommend are Undead Warchief for cheaper zombies and Lord of the Undead for recursion on them. Finally, depending on how many non-zombie cards you end up with in here, I'd check out Arcane Adaptation . You don't have too many at the moment, but I'm putting it on your radar just in case.
Hope I've helped!
2 weeks ago
If you are worried about running more non-zombies (I see you have about 4 currently in the deck, but you have more in the sideboard) you may want to consider running Arcane Adaptation . Super helpful for rounding out the creature types and still allows you to run powerful cards like Grave Titan and even Wonder . I highly recommend trying to find a spot for Noxious Ghoul because from time to time he can be a real nifty board wipe especially if you drop Rooftop Storm and unload your hand.
This isn’t a budget suggestion but Dream Halls will be super helpful for the theme of this deck. Just be mindful that it affects all players, but in most scenarios you’ll probably be the only one wanting to discard. I know stuff like Ashnod's Altar and Grave Pact start to fringe on combo plays but sacrificing just seems so natural in zombie decks. grim-grin, corpse born may be a sweet add-in as a big beater (which reminds me check out my zombie deck here if interested. I’ve spent some years working on it but it may inspire you in some ways I hope! Im jealous you can add-in a little white with Varina but I just can’t seem to break away from Grim grin.
Anyway, sweet start on the deck!
4 weeks ago
1 month ago
I think for the final cuts it should be some of the 'fun-but-grindy' cards.
Conjurer's Closet only triggers once per round and only the Orrery can sneak these artifacts into play, which means you have to commit a turn to this.
Minion Reflector is awesome because of the haste, but should probably get cut for the same reason as above. Moreover, Rashmi wants you to play a spell on each of your opponents turns, which makes main phase casting less appealing. I think you'll find yourself not casting these if you have flash creatures you'd rather keep up.
Brawn or Wonder or both. These are great and the pro's are good but so are the cons, of which I'm sure you're aware but here are two for this deck specifically: 1) The Profaner and Scourge you added work very effectively as "evasion" granters, and are more gratifying to cast (and loop with bounce effects) 2) we don't have many methods of reliably dumping them into the graveyard ourselves other than Profaner and Vannifar or flashing them in as a surprise blocker (combo decks won't be attacking)
The final cut: These are all really good, at this point we're cutting power or utility so this one is again up to your preferences and playgroup. Any of them are worth keeping. Here are some thoughts though on the remainder: - Winged Coatl not as splashy? feels bad to trim unique and signature cards though - Diluvian Primordial is super fun and has a high ceiling powerlevel, but sometimes can be a dud. If you need to trim a fatty, this one doesn't protect your wincons like the Archetype of Endurance. - Protean Hulk always value, but really asks to be in a sac-then-recur deck as we can't Pod it ourselves or recur it reliably (Vannifar and EWit notwithstanding). - one of the clones
1 month ago
Hey, looks good for your first Commander deck.
Budget cards ($5 or less each) to consider adding:
- Unclaimed Territory
- Exotic Orchard
- Shivan Reef
- Foreboding Ruins
- Choked Estuary
- Forerunner of the Coalition : tutor for a Pirate, make opponents lose life when a Pirate ETB.
- Warkite Marauder
- Cloud Pirates : is a Pirate.
- Skyship Plunderer
- Dreamcaller Siren
- Ruin Raider
- Buried Alive : tutor for and put Wonder, Anger and Filth all into your graveyard.
- Shared Animosity : can make all your attacking Pirates have huge power.
- Marchesa, the Black Rose : not a Pirate, but her ability can pump Pirates and make them hard to kill.
- Metallic Mimic : can be a Pirate when it ETB, combos with Marchesa.
- Fervor : give Pirates haste.
- Brainstorm : draw three for one mana.
- Chaos Warp : permanent removal.
- Gamble : tutor for any card.
- Arcane Denial
Cards to consider cutting:
- Izzet Guildgate
- Rakdos Guildgate
- Submerged Boneyard
- Evolving Wilds
- Depths of Desire
- Power Sink
- Pirate's Prize
- Traitorous Instinct
- Fevered Visions
- Navigator's Ruin
- Street Riot
- Raiders' Wake
- Aqueous Form
- Claim / Fame
- Angrath's Marauders
- Deadeye Plunderers
- Lightning-Rig Crew
- Prosperous Pirates
If you would like I offer more advice. Good luck with your deck.
1 month ago
Some cards to consider:
- Bojuka Bog : A must include in any black commander deck.
- Boneknitter : Utility, simple as that.
- Corpse Harvester : Out with the old, in with the new... and a swamp!
- Cryptbreaker : So much value in such a small package. Token generating, card draw, good in the early and late game... what is not to love about this card!
- Death Baron : A zombie lord with some extra punch Sure he doesn't get deathtouch himself, but all those 2/2 tokens that are now 3/3 deathtouch.
- Dread Summons : Ever seen those zombie movies with that big hoard that just keeps coming... that's this card. Gives you a bunch of tokens, and recursion bait for your commander.
- Endless Ranks of the Dead : Card title kind of says it all for this one. Obviously not the best in metas with wrath effects coming down every turn, but shines like a copper penny otherwise.
- Ghoulcaller Gisa : So take one creature, throw it under the bus, and get more...
- Grave Titan : Why this thing isn't a zombie I will never know. 6/6 for 6, deathtouch, and brings two friends with it AND when it attacks.
- Graveborn Muse : Card draw based on zombies, who is also a zombie!
- Infernal Caretaker : Mass recursion, either play them out, or discard them back for more effects.
- Liliana, Death's Majesty : Just an all around strong zombie planeswalker.
- Liliana's Mastery : Zombies + an anthem that won't be a big target for removal.
- Lord of the Undead : A low to the ground zombie lord with recursion on a stick.
- Noxious Ghoul : Sweeps out low toughness cards for things you're already doing. Just great value.
- Relentless Dead : A great early drop, and late game it serves as a sac target + recursion.
- Shepherd of Rot : Yes it hits you, but this can be such a major threat.
- Undead Warchief : Cheaper zombies, and bigger zombies. All in one convenient package.
- Awaken the Erstwhile : Disruption, plain and simple. Sure it hurts your hand too, but you are the one with all the zombie based anthems.
- Victim of Night : Doomblade 2.0, but hits black creatures.
- Sidisi, Undead Vizier : You'll have so many tokens kicking around to exploit that she's just a straight tutor, and if she ever hits the graveyard just use her again with Scarab God.
- Fleshbag Marauder : Hurts them a lot more than you, and enter the battlefield abilities are great with Scarab around.
- Josu Vess, Lich Knight : Solid 4/5 Menace for 4, got the extra 6 mana though and he brings friends who also have menace.
- Wonder : Flying zombies... yep, that's scary.
- Pull from Tomorrow : Nice draw on an instant with the added benefit to pitch something for Scarab to target.
- Price of Fame : Legendary killer + Surveil 2... love it.
- Sinister Sabotage : Counterspell + Surveil... love it too.
- Paradox Haze : You've got a couple effects that trigger on upkeep, why not double up?
- The deck currently seems to be going in two directions, you have a large zombie theme which I love, but you also have a minor mill theme which seems out of place.
- Advanced Stitchwing : Slow for what it gives, even on the bounce back it comes back tapped.
- Apprentice Necromancer : This is one I'm on the fence suggesting, it's a one use for one turn only.
- Grimgrin, Corpse-Born : This guy is beast, but he works best in a deck build around him.
- Lamplighter of Selhoff : Slow, for his effect.
- Merciless Eternal : He's not bad, just a lot better things to include in the 3 cost bracket.
- Phenax, God of Deception : Love this guy, really do, but he's out of place here because he's a mill guy who loves big butts.
- Relentless Skaabs : This guy does everything you don't want as he hurts your graveyard in order to even hit play.
- Servant of Tymaret : Slow with high cost. In order to make the best use of him you have to be attacking, and if the way isn't clear that means a 3 mana tax just for 1 life on each opponent.
- Spiteful Returned : Don't hate it, but better things out there.
- Stitchwing Skaab : Suffers from the same as Advanced Stitchwing.
- Undead Alchemist : This guy can go either way, but the way I look at him is generally people have more cards in their decks than life, so it's easier to take out their life.
- Vindictive Lich : This guy is fun, though for his cost there is a lot more out there.
- Exotic Orchard : Risky unless you know your playgroup always has one of your colors, otherwise it's just a colorless and a swamp or island would be just as good.
- Leechridden Swamp : Slows you down for a minor effect.
- Path of Ancestry : Phenax is the only other god creature, so even if you keep him in it's very slow for the benefit it probably will never get the chance to give.
- Coat of Arms : I love this card, I really do, but it's a calculated risk and I find zombies are usually too slow of it. Run up against a goblin or elf deck and this will do more for your opponent.
- Mindcrank : This is another I'm on the fence with as it pairs really well with Scarab.
- Vanquisher's Banner : Good card, though you're not casting all those tokens so you're only getting a bit of a benefit from it.
- Liliana Vess : Good card, out of place in this deck unless you are going heavier into the mill.
- Ob Nixilis Reignited : Just completely out of place for zombie tribal.
- Glimpse the Unthinkable : One of those mill cards, it suffers as a one of.
- Rise from the Grave : Expensive for effect.
- Ruthless Disposal : This isn't bad in this deck, but compared to Morbid Slip for example it lacks that added shine.
- Curse of Disturbance : So much politics, this is VERY meta dependent as to if players fall for the bait.
- Quest for the Gravelord : This can work out, but more often then not stuff isn't dying fast enough or it just gets pinged with early removal.
- Search for Azcanta Flip: More at home in a non-creature strategy.
- Torment of Scarabs : Most people can play around this with not too much fuss, and it gives all the choice to them. I'd prefer some targeted removal.
1 month ago
Thank you for the replyTheNocholas! I made a lands matter deck using lord windgrace so i wanted to make a creature based combo deck that is also a graveyard deck. I decided to opt out of Basalt Monolith because it's only really good with Mesmeric Orb . I have the ability to make infinite zombies with self mill and insects with izoni so i decided to opt out of avenger of zendikar. Hell's Caretaker i had in the original list, but I've removed it because i have a ton of other reanimation in the deck. I sadly had to make some cuts for other creatures. Instead of Wonder i went with Craterhoof Behemoth because if my boys are huge and tramply, flying doesn't matter too much. One card i was thinking of adding as a win condition is Triumph of the Hordes
Wonder occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.02%