Icon of Ancestry
As Icon of Ancestry enters the battlefield, choose a creature type.
Creatures you control of the chosen type get +1/+1.
, : Look at the top three cards of your library. You may reveal a creature card of the chosen type from among them and put it into your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.
|Want (4)||DeadKingsx , Zeus4334 , pksword1 , Strygwyr|
Printings View all
|Core Set 2020 (M20)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Icon of Ancestry Discussion
6 days ago
Metallic Mimic (Maybe - because of counters)
1 month ago
Thank you iDescendance! I have been thinking about adding Basri's Lieutenant and Venerable Knight, but now that you explained this to me I think I'll try it out. I have a couple copies of Knights' Charge and recently removed them in order to add Disenchant and Icon of Ancestry. I will try to buy these once I get a large enough order because shipping on TCGplayer costs so much.
Thank you for the requests.
1 month ago
I happen to have an Orzhov Knights deck if you'd like to check out that list (you can find it here at Orzhov Roundtable). There's some things I like about yours, but I think you might be able to pull some things from mine as well.
I would recommend cutting Silverwing Squadron and likely Foulmire Knight in exchange for more copies of Blacklance Paragon and Smitten Swordmaster. I would cut down to 2-3 copies Icon of Ancestry and remove Disenchant completely for some copies of Fight as One, and maybe a another copy of Gideon Blackblade and Sorin, Vengeful Bloodlord. If you have the money, I would recommend some Tournament Grounds for this deck (since you can grab mana for Knights spells which is nice).
My reasoning for some of these cuts are for the sake of being too slow for what Knights are. Knights play Aggro, so you're looking to bang out as many 1-3 drops as you can to deal tons of damage fast. Anything higher better have a decent reason to be there, otherwise it's likely going to be too slow for the deck to get any value out of it (e.g. Silverwing Squadron). Removing Disenchant allows you to free up space Fight As One, which is better for Knights since we don't really care about removal spells. We're looking to burn our opponent as fast as possible, and keeping our pieces intact is going to be crucial. Gideon and Sorin are both great for Knights, since they provide some decent utility (Gideon can give a creature an effect of our choice, and Sorin gives us Lifelink and can help grab creatures back if we need).
Other Useful Knights Cards
- Venerable Knight (Solid 1-drop, buffs your Knights if it dies)
- Knights' Charge (you drain your opponent for 1 every time you play a Knight, and you can return all non-token Knights to the field for 8 mana. Pretty sick!)
- Famished Paladin (This one isn't Standard legal, but is a good card nonetheless. Works well if you plan on playing Sorin)
- Basri's Lieutenant (can provide a little more value out of smaller Knights by making them a token after they die. When paired with Icon of Ancestry those tokens go infinite, so that's something to consider)
- The Ozolith (Interesting card for this list, your mileage may vary. It grabs counters off creatures that die and you can redistribute them back onto your creatures as you see fit during combat)
1 month ago
VampDemigod Very interesting. I like the addition of Umori, the Collector. The only suggestion I would make is take out the Umori, the Collector (Sorry Umori) since he doesn't do as much as you might think, and put in 4x Icon of Ancestry. This is just a suggestion, you don't have to do it.
You could also make it Pioneer legal and ignore standard rotation. :)
1 month ago
/clap....more buffers tho Icon of Ancestry like for more evilness >:|
2 months ago
I agree with iDescendance and see you've already made a number of those changes but one I noticed you didn't pick up was Tournament Grounds which is immensely powerful since no other card type in standard has mana literally dedicated to casting it and only it.
On his point of 'what does this bring to the deck' I always question Worthy Knight since he pumps out tokens but they're not knights. Venerable Knight is another good 1-drop which can be used as a chop block and then buffs another knight when it dies bringing a bit more synergy with Basri's Lieutenant (BL). Further, I'd second his recommendation of Unbreakable Formation or even just Basri's Solidarity since the first is super to either buff your army if you're flush or save your army if your lean.
Icon of Ancestry would absolutely revolutionize your deck as well. Having the static +1/+1 to all your creatures (including tokens generated through The Circle of Loyalty and BL) is awesome but then on top of that you can use it to start churning through your deck to pick out more and more knights when you are looking for cards. Very good start and I think you're going in the right direction! Good luck!
2 months ago
23 Jul 2020 Updates:
2 months ago
I did a similar Orzhov (BW) Knights Deck Knights of Exile, though we did some things differently. I went at mine with a Spike mindset, but if you're happy with what you have, I'm all for it.
Cards You Should Remove:
- Kunoros, Hound of Athreos (doesn't synergize with Knights, not a bad card though)
- Kaya, Orzhov Usurper (doesn't synergize with Knights. I had her in an older iteration of my deck but realized she doesn't give any value to my Knights at all. I would recommend swapping her with Gideon Blackblade, better for what you're doing)
- Evolving Wilds (It's not bad, you should understand that you can only pull Swamps and Plains with it)
- Forever Young (The first iteration of my deck had that sort of "bring shit back from the dead" mindset behind it, but I find it's not super effective for what Knights are)
- Tymaret Calls the Dead (doesn't synergize with Knights, just forces you to mill and potentially lose Knights which you're playing)
- Underworld Dreams (doesn't synergize with Knights, not a bad card though)
Cards I Would Recommend:
- Gideon Blackblade (as mentioned, is good for Knights)
- Acclaimed Contender (can help you pull Knights that you need)
- Icon of Ancestry (is a direct buff to Knights, free +1/+1 for playing what you're playing)
- Knights' Charge (synergizes with Knights, is insanely powerful late game. It's more of a synergistic Forever Young)
- Basri's Lieutenant (free Knight generation, is just a really good card for Knights)
- Basri's Solidarity (synergizes very well with Lieutenant)
- Wintermoor Commander (Gets stronger the more Knights you have, can give any creature free Indestructible)
- Tournament Grounds (free Mana for casting Knights)
- Unbreakable Formation (everyone gets Indestructible, and if you cast it during your Main Phase, it helps synergize with Basri's Lieutenant)
Deck Building Tips:
- Constantly be asking yourself "What value does this bring to what I'm playing?" Synergy is fun to play with, but you also have to play around what helps you get to that synergy.
- A bad card that's good when you have another card with it is a deck building trap. I fall victim to it all the time, I tend to read card effects and love the card before I realize what it means to the deck.
- Figure out what your strategy of your deck is. I like playing Midrange, so I tend to play for the lategame with ways to keep me going until then. Another iteration of the Knights deck is Mardu (RBW) that focuses on equipment spells and being Aggro (you play for the early game and want to win as soon as possible). Find your playstyle, and look at ways other people are running that playstyle.
- If all else fails, netdeck. If you didn't know what that was already, it means copying someone else's deck and running it yourself. Many in the MTG community dispute it, but it's not a bad thing to use as a learning tool.
Hope this helps!