Creature — Snake Hydra
Hooded Hydra enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
When Hooded Hydra is put into the graveyard from the battlefield, create a 1/1 green Snake creature token onto the battlefield for each +1/+1 counter on it.
Morph (You may cast this card face down as a 2/2 creature for . You may turn it face up at any time for its morph cost.)
As Hooded Hydra is turned face up, put five +1/+1 counters on it.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Hooded Hydra Discussion
2 months ago
4 months ago
Cards I'm looking to add: Pest Infestation , Tezzeret's Gambit , Foundation Breaker , Marwyn, the Nurturer , Ghostly Pilferer , and Hooded Hydra . On the chopping block so far is Trygon Predator , Manglehorn , Forgotten Ancient , and Managorger Hydra . The next two cuts might be Sylvan Safekeeper and Walking Ballista , but that's far from certain.
4 months ago
I feel like if anything is on the chopping block it's Sudden Substitution . I like it because it's a spell steal (no creatures unfortunately) and it was in the original precon I bought but I think the scenarios where you're gonna feel really good about casting it are gonna be rare. Plus there's also multiple counter spells in the form of morphs, I'm not convinced we need another one? I'm not sure.
As you can tell, the maybe board is pretty stacked with good options but I recently came upon the following combo: Aphetto Alchemist + Illusionist's Bracers to go infinite with any mana rock or with another morph - Fledgling Mawcor - for infinite damage.
Pros: There are a couple of morphs that can easily be replaced for this combo ( Hooded Hydra and Thelonite Hermit ) so we don't remove any fuel from the deck. The combo will instantly win, and involves two morphs/is on flavor.
Cons: If your playgroup doesn't like infinite combos this is an obvious no go. Additionally, something has to be cut for Illusionist's Bracers . This decklist is super tight already (perhaps Sudden Substitution can be cut as above) and Illusionist's Bracers provides literally no value or synergy in this deck other than being a combo piece. Also, we don't have any particular ways to abuse infinite mana outside of it's inherent value.
Let me know if you think I should include this combo. I'm still undecided. Would it be better just to throw in a Rhystic Study instead?
7 months ago
Creature - Squirrel Guardian
Whenever a creature with flying attacks you or a Planeswalker you control, ~ deals 1 damage to it.
Whenever a creature with flying dies, create a 1/1 green squirrel creature token.
Create a piñata style card (such as Hooded Hydra ).
11 months ago
Considering removing (more imediatly).
- Hooded Hydra
- Kalonian Hydra
- Mistcutter Hydra
- Animist's Awakening
- Wildest Dreams
- Doubling Season
- Elemental Bond
- Retribution of the Ancients
Not to mention the land base, but this will be a talk for later. Then, for now, I have 9 spots open.
1 year ago
Hey, you're welcome. Do you own all the cards in the sideboard? There's several cards in the sideboard that are better than cards in the main deck.
If you choose to add the two card infinite green mana combo these are some changes to consider:
- Cut Thorn Elemental for Karametra's Acolyte
- Cut Challenger Troll for Sword of the Paruns
- Cut Vivien's Invocation for Yeva, Nature's Herald
- Cut Verdant Sun's Avatar for Temur Sabertooth
- Cut Llanowar Scout for Skullwinder
- Cut Hooded Hydra for Genesis Hydra
Sabertooth is a very good green creature with or without the combo. It's ability is repeatable and it gives you lots of value from creatures who have an enter the battlefield (ETB) ability by bouncing the creature and then casting it again. Genesis Hydra is a unique creature in green since it can cheat any nonland permanent with CMC X or less you reveal from X cards onto the battlefield which includes not just a creature, but also an enchantment, artifact or Planeswalker. Being able to repeat this effect with Sabertooth can give you a lot of value in mono green.
1 year ago
- Card draw:
- Sylvan Library : Card draw.
- Elvish Visionary : Cheap, cantrip, shaman.
- Mosswort Bridge : Pseudo cantrip.
- Growing Rites of Itlimoc Flip : Pseudo cantrip. Flip = better Gaea's Cradle.
- Blighted Woodland : Comes into play untapped. Ramp card mid-lategame.
- Path of Ancestry : Potential card filter.
- Strip Mine : Utility land.
- Gingerbread Cabin : Forest with minor upside. No reason not to play it in mono green.
- Fauna Shaman : Tutor, shaman.
- Noxious Revival : Manaless. Allows another shot for wincons.
- Scavenging Ooze : Manasink. graveyard disruption.
- Card draw:
- Lifecrafter's Bestiary : Card draw.
- Beast Whisperer : Green conditional card draw.
- Guardian Project : Green conditional card draw.
- Runic Armasaur : Card draw (meta dependent).
- Compost : Card draw (meta dependent).
- Sakura-Tribe Scout : Early game shaman. Mana acceleration.
- Genesis Wave : Pseudo card advantage.
- Arch of Orazca : Card draw.
- Win more:
- Myojin of Life's Web : Too expensive. Very likely that you do not have enough cards in hand to make this worthwhile lategame.
- Patron of the Orochi : Quest for Renewal is cheaper.
- Gigantomancer : Cute, but 8 mana is too much for this kind of effect.
- Archetype of Endurance : Win more card. No real synergy. Asceticism Is better (although also not recommended).
- Trolls of Tel-Jilad : This is a bad card.
- Soul of the Harvest : Beast Whisperer / Guardian Project, cheaper. Almost same effect.
- Sakiko, Mother of Summer : Too expensive. Doesn't do enough for mana cost.
- Sage of Ancient Lore Flip : Very likely that you do not have enough cards in hand to make this worthwhile mid-lategame.
- Wildheart Invoker : This is a bad card.
- Sakura-Tribe Springcaller : This is a bad card.
- Loaming Shaman : Not enough card draw that allows you to get your desired cards in you hand.
- Essence Warden : This is a bad card.
- Vines of Vastwood : Very situational card.
- Squall Line : Not very good card. Situational.
- Krosan Grip : Expensive situational removal.
- Gilded Lotus : Unnecessary ramp.
- Tranquil Grove : Unless your meta plays a lot of enchantments, not really necessary. Otherwise, recommmend Back to Nature instead.
- Beastmaster Ascension : Your creatures are not big enough for this to work consistently.
- Spidersilk Armor: No tutors, not enough card draw to obtain it. Unreliable flyer prevention. Silklash Spider Will hold off flyers with tutors.
Staple cards are cards I recommend obtaining and using, since they are almost always good cards to have in any green deck. The rest is up to preference and should be taken with a grain of salt. I hope I could be of some use to you.
1 year ago
Not a poem. Song lyrics. Last Resort, by Papa Roach.
Alright, lets do this.
Hooded Hydra is weak in commander because it has no evasion or card advantage abilities.
Nimbus Swimmer is weak as well.
Altar of Dementia seems unmoored from everything else in the deck.