Combos Browse all Suggest
- Fireshrieker + Quietus Spike + Silent Arbiter
- Fireshrieker + Quietus Spike + Strionic Resonator
- Fireshrieker + Quietus Spike
- Kor Duelist + Quietus Spike
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Artifact — Equipment
Equipped creature has deathtouch.
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to a player, that player loses half their life, rounded up.
Equip (: Attach this to target creature you control. Equip only as a sorcery. This enters the battlefield unattached and stays on the battlefield if the creature this card is attached to leaves the battlefield.)
slasherturtle on Equip Me Daddy
1 month ago
This will be long, probably.
The first thing I notice is your land base. It's pretty important for this deck to reliably get Jor out on turn 2 consistently, and you may be a bit short on lands for that. To that point, you also want to limit lands that tap for colorless or enter tapped to only the ones you absolutely need. While the lands that tap for both and enter tapped (like Alpine Meadow or Sacred Peaks) are nice for fixing, they are slow and ultimately it's up to you whether to run those or not. The biggest one that pokes out to me is Reliquary Tower. Not only does it only tap for colorless, I'm also not sure you're going to be drawing enough cards for it to be any better than a basic Plains or Mountain. I'd keep an eye out for Slayers' Stronghold and Sandstone Bridge in playtesting, depending on how often they go off they might also be worse than a basic. All in all though, land base is pretty good, you just need more. Maybe 2-3 more of each basic to get started and tweak from there.
I really like the amount of nonland cards that grab you lands you have (like Wayfarer's Bauble and Navigation Orb). They're better than Evolving Wilds and cheaper than fetch lands, but if you ever do get the chance to pack some fetches in here, I think you could take one or two of those out and replace them with some more equipment or creatures that like them. You can also never go wrong with adding a Solemn Simulacrum.
I really like almost all of your nonland cards and can think of very few cards I'd want to swap for better alternatives, but I think some are pretty safe cuts if you're trying to trim down to 100 cards.
Some of your Living Weapon cards are really expensive and don't do much other than make an equipped creature, but their cost is so high that you should already have enough to trigger Jor by the time you can even cast them. Others just feel like they won't impact the board enough to warrant a spot in the 99. The ones that stick out to me are:
Mortarpod, which takes up a 2 drop spot and conflicts with casting Jor
- Sickleslicer, which just feels a bit underwhelming
- Skinwing, which feels exceptionally steeply priced, even for an equipment that grants flying
Strandwalker, which is also very steep
There are also some cards which I think either hurt more than they help or don't do you much at all:
Prophetic Prism doesn't offer you any ramp and takes up a 2-drop spot. As someone with a 2-drop commander, you want to minimize the amount of other 2CMC cards in the deck because they get really awkward, especially in the first four turns. Turn two you're forced to choose between playing your 2-drop and your commander, and then turn 3 you have to decide between whichever you didn't choose and whatever good 3-drops you may have access to. It fucks up your whole curve.
- Shuko equips for free but basically does nothing else after that. The same is true for Leather Armor. It may or may not be worth it, up to you.
- Invulnerability may be slightly overcosted with buyback and you may be better running retroactive protection like Norn's Annex or Ghostly Prison.
- Keen-Eared Sentry may not do as much as it seems. Having Hexproof is nice and makes you feel safe, but I ran Aegis of the Gods in Azor for years and it almost never saved me from anything, not only because having hexproof isn't as strong as it seems but also because people will want to kill it very quickly if they do need to target you.
- I love the amount of repeatable combat effects in this deck, but they are worse than nothing if you don't have a board state that can take advantage of it. Some of those slots may be better used on other equipment or cards that care about them. If I were to cut any, it'd probably be Relentless Assault because it's not repeatable like Akki Battle Squad, Aurelia, and Waves of Aggression. This may also apply to Response / Resurgence since you can't fetch it with Sunforger and it's other half isn't super great.
- As wonderful as Lightning Greaves is for commander protection, it also prevents you from being able to attach any more auras or equipment to whichever creature it's attached to due to Shroud and I tend to not recommend it in Voltron decks. It's also a 2-drop. That one is just personal choice though.
- You may have one or two too many cards that reduce the cost of your artifacts. Yours are all so cheap and you may find yourself better off having something that draws you cards or cares about equipment than a card that only helps if you're trying to cast expensive artifacts. Since it's easy to kill and doesn't do much else, Starnheim Courser may at least be worth a cut, if not also Jhoira's Familiar due to mana cost alone.
- Quietus Spike and Scytheclaw have the same effect, which also isn't good enough to win the game on it's own since the damage cut happens after you deal damage, meaning you can literally never kill someone off of that trigger alone unless you leave them with exactly one life. Since Scytheclaw at least has Living Weapon, you may want to consider cutting Quietus Spike.
- Sword of Feast and Famine is good, but it isn't insane. If you don't already have one it's probably not worth spending 50 bucks on.
- The Ward you get from Amulet of Safekeeping in your Maybeboard might not be worth making all of your living weapon and Assemble the Legion tokens weaker.
- I love Assemble the Legion so much. It is one of my favorite cards in Magic. It may be my favorite enchantment period. It is also balls ass slow, expensive to cast, and doesn't synergize with your strategy. That one is up to you. I'd run it just because I like it, but it'd be the first card I cut if I needed to trim some fat.
- Mask of Immolation gives you an equipped creature, but it doesn't do much else for 2 mana. If it equipped for free it'd be different, but it's equip cost isn't cheap given how weak it's effect is. It's also a 2 drop.
- Toggo, Goblin Weaponsmith is much better when you can throw his rocks, which you don't want to do in this deck because you want to keep them attached to things for Jor - meaning you're spending three mana for a guy who gives you one equipment that does nothing a turn.
- Leonin Shikari isn't something I'd say you should take out immediately, but you should keep an eye on it during playtesting. If you find you aren't taking advantage of her ability enough, cut her and replace her with something that isn't a 2-drop.
- Wrath of God may be better than Vanquish the Horde. That's just my opinion though.
All in all, what you keep and what you cut is up to you, this is just what sticks out to me personally. The closer you get to 100, the better. If you're able to cut it down to at least 104 or 105, try just playing without 4 or 5 of the cards you aren't sure about and playtest from there, then use those 4 or 5 as your maybeboard. Also this deck is really cool and I like it a lot.
Daltooine on Spymaster's spy-plans
2 months ago
Any time I build a deck around unblockable weenies I always make sure to include a copy of Quietus Spike.
One of those “answer me or suffer” cards that can help you cut down those decks that gain a ton of life.
LB0818 on This Might Stangg a Little! (Stangg, Echo Twin)
3 months ago
Made some changes to the deck felt like it had too many legendary equipment in the deck. Added: Professional Face-Breaker, Conqueror's Flail, Thran Power Suit, Quietus Spike, Mirror Box & Mirror Gallery. Removed: Solemn Simulacrum, Colossus Hammer, Sword of the Animist, Blackblade Reforged, Kaldra Compleat, Embercleave.
wallisface on Myr Loops of Doom
3 months ago
The game is never lasting long enough for you to get 20 counters onto Darksteel Reactor - I would ditch this card.
4 copies of Panoptic Mirror feels excessive when you only have Time Warp to imprint onto it. It means a lot of the time you're going to have a Panoptic Mirror and have nothing to do with it. I would suggest going down to only 2 copies to reduce your odds of having a useless card in hand.
Quietus Spike feels really suboptimal as a card, imo. Same goes for Lodestone Myr, Coretapper, and Darksteel Myr
I think you need something like Expedition Map to help maximize your odds of getting Tron online. At the moment your deck feels like it'll be a bit clumsy without Tron, so increasing your odds of assembling it is probably a good thing.
Poolplayer on Hammer Smashed face
4 months ago
I had Argentum Armor in here but waiting till 6 mana without artifact mana to ramp made it tough. Decided on Quietus Spike as the nail for my hammers and 1/2 the mana exhaustion for the benefit. I've been trimming from 80 to get down to more competitive deck size. But I think I like Akiri enough to run another in the deck. The hobgoblin might be on borrowed time as I really want the engine to be ready for redcap to churn. I always think about the long game, this deck I need to break that marathon mentality and try to get it done by turn 5 or struggle with the power cards turning the tide. If I tinkled black for infect or swapped spike for Grafted Exoskeleton I'd have 10 poison counters before 20 health would hammer out.
More to do, any opinions are good! Aaron
UnleashedHavok on Every Rose Has Its Thorns V2
5 months ago
I like a lot of your suggestions DaringApprentice, thanks so much! And am taking several of them. Let's see, I added in: Bojuka Bog, Hagra Mauling Flip, Sword of the Animist (so freaking good with Marchesa on the field), Laelia, the Blade Reforged, Daring Apprentice, Braids, Arisen Nightmare, and I think that's it.
Embercleave led me to finding The Reaver Cleaver, then I had a game the other night where a Captain Lannery Storm + The Reaver Cleaver rocked my world and made me decide to add it to my deck. I'm hoping the synergies for exiling cards to cast play well together in this deck and help speed Marchesa up. I'm really trying to figure out how to add in a Quietus Spike, Elturel Survivors, Geyadrone Dihada and a Deathrender in here, but don't know what to cut. I feel like everything fits so well. Any thoughts?
DaringApprentice on Every Rose Has Its Thorns V2
5 months ago
Here are some suggestions:
Utility Lands: Bojuka Bog, Hagra Mauling Flip
Ramp: Arcane Signet, Sword of the Animist, Burnished Hart, Canoptek Wraith, Neheb, Dreadhorde Champion, Sifter of Skulls, Solemn Simulacrum
Card Draw: Laelia, the Blade Reforged, Morbid Opportunist, Keep Watch, Breya's Apprentice, Moonveil Regent, Smothering Abomination, Reconnaissance Mission, Necrologia, Future Sight, Kothophed, Soul Hoarder, Will Kenrith, Harvester of Souls, Ruin Grinder, Deepfathom Skulker, Sandstone Oracle
Targeted Removal: Rapid Hybridization, Wild Magic Surge, Terminate, Resculpt, Reality Shift, Forbid, Daring Apprentice, Transmogrifying Wand, Ravenous Chupacabra, Chaos Defiler, Glorybringer, Mystic Confluence, Necron Deathmark, Reaper from the Abyss, Rowan Kenrith, Curtains' Call, Duplicant, Meteor Golem
Board Wipes: Nevinyrral's Disk, The Phasing of Zhalfir, Whelming Wave, Ixidron, Blood on the Snow, Deathbringer Regent, Necromantic Selection
Synergy: Ghoulish Procession, Jadar, Ghoulcaller of Nephalia, Drana, Liberator of Malakir, Blight Mound, Braids, Arisen Nightmare, Fleshbag Marauder, Gravelighter, Irenicus's Vile Duplication, Magus of the Abyss, Anowon, the Ruin Sage, Ruthless Winnower, Ogre Slumlord
Threats: Quietus Spike, Elturel Survivors, Relentless Assault, Gratuitous Violence, Sarkhan the Masterless, Westgate Regent, Precursor Golem, Necropolis Regent, Walk the Aeons, Combustible Gearhulk, Embercleave, Sharding Sphinx, Angrath's Marauders
legendofa on Good equipment finisher in jund
7 months ago
I haven't seen Soul of Windgrace yet, so these suggestions are a little generic, but Quietus Spike eats life totals and Vorpal Sword makes life totals irrelevant.
If there's a landfall theme, Slab Hammer and Sword of the Animist can help keep that rolling, and Strata Scythe wants lots of lands.
|Have (3)||sepheroth119 , Galdelonian , rhinoloupe|
|Want (2)||Lunar_Wing , Amaterasu312|