Great Oak Guardian
Creature — Treefolk
Flash (You may cast this spell at any time you could cast an instant.)
When Great Oak Guardian enters the battlefield, creatures target player controls get +2/+2 until end of turn. Untap them.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Great Oak Guardian Discussion
1 month ago
So a first pass at changing this deck just from things I had on hand. The following cards were removed:
All of these creatures were dropped to help reinforce the +1/+1 theme that the deck has. All of these creatures tend to lean more toward a Token theme, which might have helped with powering Ezuri up, but that's about it.
Scytheclaw Not enough effect and doesnt reinforce the Counters theme.
Orochi Hatchery Has counters, but leans into the Tokens subtheme the orginal deck had, so off it goes.
Caller of the Pack It's a big beater. Doesnt help Ezuri build Counters, and again leans into the Tokens subtheme.
Snakeform Too little effect and is token based again.
Sword of Vengeance A cool bit of kit, and will be going into something else, but doesn't help the theme here.
Vivid Grove Too little effect for its slot. Replaced with a dual land.
Vivid Creek Same as above.
2 months ago
To build on what griffstick said, there are a number of two-creature combos with Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker ... and you can use the enchantment Defense of the Heart to tutor the entire combo into play.
Kiki + Great Oak Guardian is probably one of your better options--not only will it give you infinite Great Oka Gaurdians, it will allow you to swing with infinitely large enchantresses on the turn you execute the combo.
3 months ago
Grind, Great Oak Guardian seems like it could be interesting. I am low on flyer defense, so reach could be helpful too. Currently, I'm not sure if there's a card I would want to replace with it, but I'll think about it when I play the deck. I also have an Ashaya, Soul of the Wild deck that it would be great in.
4 months ago
Any thoughts about Great Oak Guardian ?
He can give your creatures pseudo vigilance, he can be a surprise flying blocker, and he offers a possible (low likelihood) combo with temur sabertooth, llanowar tribe, and nyxbloom ancient.
4 months ago
Surprised not to see Ashnod's Altar to help with your token generation blinkers.
Also Great Oak Guardian and Llanowar Tribe go inf with your commander. Shared Summons is playable.
Also Fiend Hunter sounds good, i think if you stack the triggers right with multiple blinks you can exile opponents creatures permanently.
Cheers and have fun!!
5 months ago
Just some thoughts...
Vorrac Battlehorns makes lathril unblockable. Also Rancor seems good, and maybe you want Lightning greaves or swiftfoor boots.
Great Oak Guardian untaps all your elves so you can use ability again.
I like Evolutionary Leap to get value in case opponents board wipe. And it makes me want to run Seedguide Ash .
Beast Within is worth running.
Cheers and have fun
5 months ago
Sorry for the very lengthy reply. I just got swept up in this.
I've only played two games so my experience overall isn't going to tell me enough about how certain cards perform in various situations or if they're not synergizing enough with your strategy. I'm guessing you're on a budget. If your playgroup allows proxies, or money isn't an issue. Gaea's Cradle is always a great option in a deck that generates lots of token creatures, and you're already running Crop Rotation . The budget option to cradle though is Growing Rites of Itlimoc Flip. When I began my 2nd game playing this deck I was very concerned since one opponent was running Angus Mackenzie which usually just neuters this kind of strategy. I mean I lost that game for other reasons, but if it had dragged on I probably would need a lot of luck to have instant speed removal for Angus and enough power to alpha strike or I'd just lose to forever fog. That's certainly an edge case, but a tad more removal could be helpful to rid yourself of problematic creatures or other effects. Song of the Dryads and Kenrith's Transformation are a couple of great options. The only other creature that doesn't do something like fight that shot to the front of my mind to get around Angus was Questing Beast .
However, simply looking at the list and thinking about good options in general I would say the following cards should be considered for replacement:
- Colossal Majesty its a bit slow compared to other green card draw. Sylvan Library is probably the best replacement if money is no issue. Beast Whisperer is decent and you can tutor it. There are great one-time effects considering the swarm you usually have like Shamanic Revelation and Regal Force . Harmonize is always a solid option. Oakhame Adversary is usually getting through because of deathtouch and you can always leave him as a blocker. Depending on your meta Runic Armasaur can net you plenty of cards.
- Liege of the Tangle feels like you'd be better off with something that helps finish the game the turn it enters the battlefield for this much mana. Craterhoof Behemoth or something like that would be nice, but if you're content with the pump that you get from Kamahl then perhaps Bane of Progress would be nice to wipe the pesky artifacts and enchantments. God-Eternal Rhonas is another decent buff to finish with. Great Oak Guardian could potentially be a finisher with your ability to turn lands into creatures and Temur Sabertooth as a way to recast the treefolk again and again.
- Nylea, Keen-Eyed I feel like she is a decent card, especially since she is indestructible, but her activated ability is pretty costly for only digging 1 card. I would prefer Duskwatch Recruiter Flip for this kind of effect and if it flips it does the cost reduction. If you're after an indestructible creature here then Rhonas the Indomitable is great for the deathtouch as a blocker or threat, and his pump + trample effect. For other nice cost reducers there's Emerald Medallion and Rhonas's Monument .
- Curious Herd was a dead card for me in one of my games where I drew it. I ended up discarding it when I ended a turn at 8 cards in hand. I can see that it has potential in some matchups, but its is a bit meta dependent. Arachnogenesis would probably be an upgrade in many cases, but again meta dependant.
- Magus of the Order I was surprised when I saw this in my hand because I didn't realize it had been printed. 2020 was a blur. However, as it stands there were not a lot of great targets for this to go tutor into play. Avenger, Nyxbloom, of Baloths were the primary options to me since Leige needs to swing and connect in order to do something and wait a turn before the lands can attack giving opponents a chance to wipe your board (including 8/8 lands). Actual Natural Order would be preferable since it is less telegraphed, but still need better finisher, utility, value to tutor for. Craterhoof, Bane of Progress, or maybe something like Apex Devastator for all the silly cascades.
- Roiling Regrowth -> Harrow (generally won't get countered so the additional cost on cast of sacrificing a land is a minimal risk) or if you want a body Springbloom Druid .
- Bow of Nylea it certainly has its utility, but something like Ohran Frostfang may be better for the deathtouch buff and supplemental card draw.
Other cards to consider:
- Skyshroud Claim it doesn't have the option to cycle, but untapped lands can really help in situations where you've doubled or tripled your mana produced.
- Zendikar Resurgent is just a great card.
- Eternal Witness works great with Temur Sabertooth and is generally just a great card.
- Overwhelming Stampede just a nice alternative finisher to Kamahl incase he's too expensive to get back on the field.
- Kogla, the Titan Ape not a lot of humans in your current iteration to have his bounce ability be useful like Temur Sabertooth , but he's still another way to fight a problematic creature and he can remove an artifact/enchantment per attack.
- Champion of Lambholt with so many token creatures you can get this up to a point where your creatures are unblockable.
- Soul of the Harvest is another solid source of incremental card draw.
- Triumph of the Hordes is a nice surprise finisher, especially against someone with near-infinite life.
- Carpet of Flowers meta dependent, but excellent ramp.
- Elder Gargaroth beefy, and has useful options every attack.
- Bellowing Tanglewurm since Kamahl already can pump, this can help get your alpha strike in.
- Kamahl, Fist of Krosa can just be a fun deterrent to board wipes if you have enough mana available to turn your opponent's lands into creatures in response.
- Oracle of Mul Daya just amazing for landfall theme.
- Gaea's Touch is a budget friendly option to help put more lands into play per turn, but they need to be basic forests.
- Tireless Tracker a bit grindy, but nice way to spend mana when you have nothing better to do. Also the treasure token trigger Kodama of the East Tree to allow you to put another land into play.
Some combo suggestions:
- Quirion Ranger + Ashaya, Soul of the Wild to use the ranger's ability to return the ranger and untap any other creature that can tap for mana to recast the range and repeat for infinite cast triggers, creature ETB triggers for other permanents that care, and "landfall" triggers. Scryb Ranger can also work if your "lands" produce an additional green or if you have a way to give them haste like Lightning Greaves or Concordant Crossroads .
- Cloudstone Curio + Kodama of the East Tree to put a land into play, bounce another land, resolve Kodama trigger to put that land back into play and bounce the first land for as many additional lands you can play per turn. This becomes infinite if you have a permanent that generates any kind of token on landfall trigger.
7 months ago
Azuza, Lost but Seeking is in here because I draw a bunch of cards and a lot of them are lands, as well I have multiple effects that put lands into my hand, so that's why I put her in here
Ixidor, Reality Sculptor Totally thought that he flipped stuff back down, not flipped them up, thanks for pointing that out
Great Oak Guardian Actually has an Aikido bent to it, and also affords me breathing room for attacking in as well as functioning as semi-removal when someone attacks me thinking that they're clear to do so
The rest are good ideas, those were just some of the cards that I wanted to mention