Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Creature — Elf Shaman
Saproling creatures get +1/+1.
Morph (You may cast this card this face down as a 2/2 creature for . Turn it face up at any time for its morph cost.)
When Thelonite Hermit is turned face up, create four 1/1 green Saproling creature tokens.
5 months ago
For those that are curious on the changes I made to the deck
What I'm taking out: Show
What I'm putting in to replace it: Show
I also plan on changing out some other lands, but above are the utility lands only.
1 year ago
Since you're in casual, there's a lot of heavy hitting cards you could add (budget permitting). Doubling Season improves the turnaround rate of spore counters and gets you more tokens, although it is itself expensive. Something cheaper with proliferate like Evolution Sage could accomplish a similar goal. Aura Shards is a potent alternative to single-use Naturalizes for Selesnya, with Nullmage Shepherd being a more budget pick. Skullclamp is an insane draw engine if you keep your tokens at 1 toughness. Or if you don't want to, Intangible Virtue can stack with Sporecrown Thallids to get out of hand quickly. As far as creating tokens, there's Aura Mutation, Dreampod Druid, Fungal Sprouting, Korozda Guildmage, Saproling Migration, Thelonite Hermit, and the powerful lord Tendershoot Dryad. If you want generically good Golgari removal, cards like Assassin's Trophy and Fatal Push tend to see a lot of play. Personally, I like Crippling Fear for tribal decks and Tragic Slip for decks with sacrifice synergy. Speaking of sacrifices, I know from experience in commander that both Mazirek, Kraul Death Priest and Ghave, Guru of Spores make for nasty combos with Mycoloth. Such a strategy would also make creatures like Tukatongue Thallid more valuable than spell counterparts like Sprout or Fungal Infection.
1 year ago
Oh man, I played Fun with Fungus back during Timespiral and I loved that deck so much. It requires a lot of build-up to really get rolling so it's not very competitive and no fun against control decks, but then again what is? When it works right and you are putting tokens down everywhere though? Hooooo boy that's fun. Here are some of the things I ran back in the day:
- Sporoloth Ancient when combined with Sporesower Thallid makes each other Fungus pop off a Saproling each turn.
- If you're looking for a cheeky removal combo Vhati il-Dal + Deathspore Thallid is fun.
- Tragic Slip is a fun alternative to Bone Shards that can deal with indestructible creatures up to 13/13. But Eaten Alive is just better.
- Life and Limb and Psychotrope Thallid are great late game cards if you want insane mana and card draw.
- Verdant Embrace is also worth considering.
I have some specific thoughts on your build too:
- Consider what you want this deck to do really well. Are you trying to generate as many saprolings as possible to overwhelm your opponent? Or to sacrifice them to the Priest/Zulaport/Slimefoot? You could even make the fungi the real beaters themselves. It seems like your deck is doing a little bit of everything right now when it could benefit from focusing on one or two.
- If you want to focus on making many saprolings, Mycoloth is extremely powerful in this deck. Just because he's a big target for removal doesn't mean you shouldn't play him at all. He costs the same as your Tendershoot Dryad and generates twice the number of Saprolings per turn for only sacrificing one when he enters the battlefield. Sacrifice two and he's giving you back four every turn. And with Heroic Intervention to protect him you should be good to go. Definitely a mainboard card. I lost my mind when this card released.
- If you're looking to pump up your saprolings more Sporecrown Thallid is a great pick and may I also suggest Thelonite Hermit.
- If you want your fungi to be real threats then Thelon of Havenwood is your guy. Get some Sporesowers out and then watch the Spore counters pile up, making your guys absolutely massive.
- Consider switching out some of your cheap-cmc cards for things with more meat on their bones. This deck could stand to be a lot more top-heavy. A couple shell-dwellers can get you to the late-game but they are terrible late-game cards. I personally ran a set of Deathspore Thallids because I like their removal effect but none of these other fungi with 1 or 2 mana cost.
- Consider some traditional mana ramp like Rampant Growth instead of Utopia Mycon if you want to get your Sporesowers out earlier. It's less vulnerable to removal and you don't have to wait to generate your first saproling to get an extra mana.
- I love Priest of the forgotten gods and Winding Constrictor in here. I think they are both super effective for this deck.
- And lastly it should be spelled "galore" ;p
Best of luck and have fun with your fungus!
1 year ago
Some "efficiently costed token makers": Arachnogenesis, Artifact Mutation, Beacon of Creation, Chatterstorm, Deep Forest Hermit, Dragonlair Spider (?), Elemental Mastery, Elvish Warmaster, Fungal Sprouting, Night Soil, Ranger Class, Saproling Burst, Scatter the Seeds, Scute Swarm, Sporemound (?), Sprout Swarm, Tendershoot Dryad, Thelonite Hermit,
2 years ago
I feel like if anything is on the chopping block it's Sudden Substitution . I like it because it's a spell steal (no creatures unfortunately) and it was in the original precon I bought but I think the scenarios where you're gonna feel really good about casting it are gonna be rare. Plus there's also multiple counter spells in the form of morphs, I'm not convinced we need another one? I'm not sure.
As you can tell, the maybe board is pretty stacked with good options but I recently came upon the following combo: Aphetto Alchemist + Illusionist's Bracers to go infinite with any mana rock or with another morph - Fledgling Mawcor - for infinite damage.
Pros: There are a couple of morphs that can easily be replaced for this combo ( Hooded Hydra and Thelonite Hermit ) so we don't remove any fuel from the deck. The combo will instantly win, and involves two morphs/is on flavor.
Cons: If your playgroup doesn't like infinite combos this is an obvious no go. Additionally, something has to be cut for Illusionist's Bracers . This decklist is super tight already (perhaps Sudden Substitution can be cut as above) and Illusionist's Bracers provides literally no value or synergy in this deck other than being a combo piece. Also, we don't have any particular ways to abuse infinite mana outside of it's inherent value.
Let me know if you think I should include this combo. I'm still undecided. Would it be better just to throw in a Rhystic Study instead?
2 years ago
So a first pass at changing this deck just from things I had on hand. The following cards were removed:
All of these creatures were dropped to help reinforce the +1/+1 theme that the deck has. All of these creatures tend to lean more toward a Token theme, which might have helped with powering Ezuri up, but that's about it.
Scytheclaw Not enough effect and doesnt reinforce the Counters theme.
Orochi Hatchery Has counters, but leans into the Tokens subtheme the orginal deck had, so off it goes.
Caller of the Pack It's a big beater. Doesnt help Ezuri build Counters, and again leans into the Tokens subtheme.
Snakeform Too little effect and is token based again.
Sword of Vengeance A cool bit of kit, and will be going into something else, but doesn't help the theme here.
Vivid Grove Too little effect for its slot. Replaced with a dual land.
Vivid Creek Same as above.
2 years ago
ellie-is, you have made good points for the non-inclusion of the above suggestions. I misunderstood the focus of your deck, and as for Aura Mutation, wow! I can't believe I missed that it's not modern legal.
One last thing, wasn't sure if it had been mentioned but how about 1 or two copies of Thelonite Hermit?
3 years ago
I'm working on a similar build right now with Ghave so I've worked through some kinks myself.
Since you've got some early game minions and token generation I'd look at Beastmaster Ascension. That could get you swinging big mid game and potentially end games early. I was running Cathars' Crusade as well, but I never seemed to get great value out of it so I ended up subbing it out for more ramp.
Best of luck in your build!