Creature — Devil
At the beginning of your upkeep, return an instant or sorcery card at random from your graveyard to your hand.
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, Charmbreaker Devils gets +4/+0 until end of turn.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (14)||Nemesis , Dr.Jackel , , ZombieFood , PTsmitty , pskinn01 , CampbellStev , sonnet666 , rockleemyhero , Sparky41 , GeminiSpartanX , philktoken8998 , rakdos24 , Mousemke|
Charmbreaker Devils Discussion
2 weeks ago
Yea, I have the big three colorless tutors in the maybeboard. I'm going to be testing them out more extensively soon.
I like Vow of Lightning as much as Assault Suit, which is a bit, but not a whole bunch. I usually don't play pod games, but instead 1v1s. There just isn't anyone who plays EDH in my area anymore. So while they are amazing in a pod, in 1v1 I want to trick my opponent into discarding their hand into using her which doesn't do much if they can only attack me. Vow of Lightning is also an enchantment and doesn't have much recursion value like Assault Suit with Goblin Welder or Daretti, Scrap Savant. I'll definitely add it to the maybeboard and test it out.
Worldslayer is hilarious, but I can't stand the thought of not having mana. Especially if I don't have the right combo and all I can do is Traitorous Blood her for the turn, attach and swing. Then they get Hazoret and Worldslayer and I have nothing. I'mma stay away from this one for just a tid bit.
Sword of the Ages was added because it could target more than 1 creature and because I could recur it from the graveyard with Goblin Welder or Daretti, Scrap Savant in the case that I either discarded it or my opponent(s) recognized the threat and destroyed it. And this was when I had like 140+ cards so I actually had creatures with large P/T to make it viable for a one-shot-kill. I don't have much in the way for recurring Instants. Sure Shreds of Sanity could work there, and hell even my Charmbreaker Devils, but I dislike Shreds of Sanity for the inconsistencies. It would be better if it had flashback and no exiling itself. I guess the Devils could get it.... fine, you convinced me. I'll add it in and test it out. As for Repercussion, the same argument as I posted in response to Zimmers_0: She's attacking me and my creatures and I don't always have the right cards to defend, thus even blocking with a Stuffy Doll will double that damage to my face.
Fetches are here for thinning purposes as well as the Crucible of Worlds combo. I don't play mono-red much and I hate how little ramp they have, so I at least need consistent land drops.
3 weeks ago
3 weeks ago
A few thoughts ...
- Your best bet is probably Eternal Witness plus a recurring Flicker effect (like Venser, the Sojourner or Eldrazi Displacer) or a recurring return-to-hand effect (like Crystal Shard or many others). If you've only got 3-mana Walkers, Sun Titan works too.
- Alternately, you could use a one-time use card (like Yawgmoth's Will or Reap) and then recur that with Charmbreaker Devils.
- Another option: Mistveil Plains and Liliana Vess.
- Charnelhoard Wurm works too.
3 weeks ago
Yeah, I used to run Charmbreaker Devils for that but then it was to high CMC and I never really needed it anyway. So well yeah it sucked that stuff like that happened, it was never particularly important.
3 weeks ago
I think your mana base is a little messy.
- There's no need for the Panoramas (Bant Panorama and Naya Panorama), you could just go with Terramorphic Expanse and Evolving Wilds.
- Checklands (Rootbound Crag, Hinterland Harbor and Sulfur Falls) and Bouncelands (Simic Growth Chamber, Izzet Boilerworks and Gruul Turf) benefit most from decks having more basics, so I'd tell you to replace some utility lands with basics (drop Alchemist's Refuge, Desolate Lighthouse and maybe even Kessig Wolf Run)
- Manlands (Lumbering Falls, Raging Ravine and Wandering Fumarole) aren't all that useful in EDH. Considering the amount of lands in your deck, I think you might want to cut them as well.
- Considering the amount of card-draw in the deck, you might want to consider Reliquary Tower
As for ramp in itself:
- Gilded Lotus is amazing, but it only nets you one color of mana, which can be a bummer at times.
- I always advocate for the use of all available signets (Simic Signet, Izzet Signet and Gruul Signet in your case), since they fix your colors in the early game and help you ramp up a bit (plus, a Sol Ring + Signet starting hand can go crazy pretty fast)
- Thought Vessel and Mind Stone are other 2-mana artifacts with some great extra utility.
Cards I don't like/I don't find useful enough:
- Crystal Shard - Reusable bounce is good, but I don't think this card is good enough to be here.
- Ranger's Path could be replaced with Nissa's Expedition (if you tap a creature it's exacly like a Explosive Vegetation) or Nissa's Renewal (costs more, but gets you 3 lands and 7 life). Or simply drop it. You run too few basics and with all the sorcery ramping you might run out of lands to search for...
- Recurring Insight - In the late game where you can give in to the luxury of spending 6 mana to draw some cards it can be great, but I'd rather use it in a See the Unwritten or Seasons Past or Selvala's Stampede or Saheeli's Artistry.
- Zendikar Incarnate - poor defenses and no trample. You can do better. Mystic Snake or Ogre Battledriver or Master Biomancer or Faerie Artisans (you can clone the token with Riku in order to keep it)
- Charmbreaker Devils can be good, but they might do nothing as well
- Deadwood Treefolk doesn't seem that appealing to me either; specially considering it only gets back creature cards. Greenwarden of Murasa is almost strictly better (bigger body and returns any card, but no "leaves the battlefield" trigger)
- Rampaging Baloths seems out of place. Yes, it creates some good tokens for playing lands, but generating 1 trample-less 4/4 per turn seems pretty bad. This creature is better suited for landfall-based decks in my opinion.
- Sphinx of Uthuun and Fact or Fiction are cards I just can't enjoy. I think the impact they make is negligible in the game, but I understand the appeal and sometimes it can be quite interesting. I'd say keep the creature and ditch the spell.
Other suggestions (mostly more creatures to use as a toolbox):
- Farhaven Elf another ramp on a stick.
- Reclamation Sage is a staple in the format for a reason
- Peregrine Drake generates infinte mana in conjunction with Deadeye Navigator and gives you some quick ways of ending the game (such as paying buyback of Capsize to Upheaval everyone but yourself constantly)
- Triumph of the Hordes - another win con
- Ghostly Flicker gives you a way to reuse ETB triggers or save something from removal. Also has a combo with Peregrine Drake + Archeomancer.
- Coiling Oracle forces you to reveal the top card, but the fact that it ramps if it's a land makes it so much better
- Phyrexian Ingester - removal on a stick. You could also go with Duplicant
- Drowner of Hope - never underestimate this little guy, since it's quite versatile. The "sac a scion: tap a creature" has saved me quite a few times and it can also work as some sort of ramp tool (It costs , but it refunds with the tokens).
- Nim Deathmantle brings a creature back for one more round.
4 weeks ago
Hey fun deck. I got an idea or three..Infiltrate, Artful Dodge, Slip Through Space, Shadow Rift, Spellheart Chimera, Runechanter's Pike.... Teferi's Veil + Obliterate is an old school combo that can save your creatures and give you extra ETB triggers. It might not be good enough, but it sounds hilarious enough. Archaeomancer, Izzet Chronarch, Charmbreaker Devils. I love how Sharding Sphinx goes exponential if you can get through with the thopters. It might be cool to have Thopter Spy Network too, since you are already using thopters. Happy gathering!
1 month ago
One more thing - Charmbreaker Devils seems a bit too expensive for this deck - I'd replace them with maybe some removal or counterspells. Vapor Snag and Stubborn Denial are both good options. Note that if you use Stubborn Denial with a Kiln Fiend out, it will trigger the fiend's ability first, so it will always be a hard counter.